"Monster Board" High power 4X4 board with ATV tires

Honestly, the reason I began this build was for snow riding. It has morphed into a full-on ATV board (ATB?).

Anyway, it should run a bit over 20mph with insane torque. I plan on riding it around 10 mph in grades and modest trails, though.

Oh, I want to try climbing a flight of stairs with it. That would make an awesome video!

Matt

You are insanely talented and dedicated! Gotta see this thing in action. My mtn board was one of the funnest things I ever owned... This will be 100xthat!!!

First, your board is amazing! Second, I've got a bike/scooter project coming up that is going to need jack shaft for gear reduction, and I am still in the learning phase, so please forgive me; Why do a belt for the primary and chain for the secondary?

ArgusMcJohnsten said:
First, your board is amazing! Second, I've got a bike/scooter project coming up that is going to need jack shaft for gear reduction, and I am still in the learning phase, so please forgive me; Why do a belt for the primary and chain for the secondary?

Different system for different application. A belt is good for high RPM low torque while a chain is good for low RPM high torque.

The first stage runs high RPM with little torque. The second stage runs 5 times slower with 5 times higher torque.

It lives!

This thing is a freaking BEAST!

If I run it by itself (without standing on it), it will throw grass from all four wheels like a nitro RC car!

I set the throttle end point at 50% to ride it.

Everything is great except it needs centering springs for the trucks (it weaves too much). It is ride-able, but squirrely. So, I ordered some springs from McMaster.

Other than that, I just need to do some final wiring.

Oh, the motors and controllers run nice and cool.

Matt

Matt, great job man! We need to see you kill some trails now...and maybe some 40 degrees incline...coming down the stairs...

As always FANTASTIC job Matt!

I've been riding the board ALOT. It runs fantastic! I have been fine tuning the steering spring tension, steering damper settings, steering kingpin angle, controller settings, etc. I have about 3 hours of riding so far and I am nearing nirvana on the setup.

I am shooting a video of it tomorrow.

Matt

I spent the morning debugging small items on the board (loctiting screws, adjusting rear steering, finalizing steering centering springs, etc) as well as shooting video footage.

I will upload a video today. :D

Matt

recumpence said:
Thumbnail for the video. :mrgreen:

F7XsvRX.jpg

Matt

Wow I had no idea the actual size of that board. In my mind I pictured it kinda big but that is surf board big.
Oh well does it float and carve like a snowboard? That thing must be a riot to ride.

Congrats Matt, once again you have taken an idea to the absolute max. I don't like it, I love it :D

Btw, are you familiar with the Baja Board? I wonder how your board does carving on soft sand like on the beach compared to baja board. There are videos of the baja board on the tube if don't know about it. It is also 4 x 4, one motor or each wheel, each wheel independent axle and double wish bone and a shock in each corner. With your reduction gear I bet you can climb as steep as the baja board.

The length of the board should make it stable as rails on higher speed?

Back