N.E.S.E. the no solder module

district9prawn said:
No more spot welding!!!

I wish I could say, that but for me different methods seem to be needed for differing circumstances.

@agnesium, I have an interesting question about your modules.

Since they don't see to use any kind of spring component, doesn't that mean that if there's a big bump in the road, or that the battery pack drops, the kinetic energy of the drop will have to go somewhere, and will perhaps collapse the positive terminals of the cells?

On Budgetlightforum, we do like the types of contacts in flashlights which you use in your no-solder module since they can handle very high currents. However, we tend to not like it very much, since upon a drop, many people have experienced a collapsed positive terminal when their flashlight, and one of these cases resulted in a shorted cell.

Just a small concern, thank you.

BlueSwordM said:

Since they don't see to use any kind of spring component, doesn't that mean that if there's a big bump in the road, or that the battery pack drops, the kinetic energy of the drop will have to go somewhere, and will perhaps collapse the positive terminals of the cells?

On Budgetlightforum, we do like the types of contacts in flashlights which you use in your no-solder module since they can handle very high currents. However, we tend to not like it very much, since upon a drop, many people have experienced a collapsed positive terminal when their flashlight, and one of these cases resulted in a shorted cell.

The type of contact i use is designed by me and it would not collapse, the cell would collapse before contact does. I use low set foam as a spring. There are videos posted on this thread how vibrations are no problem at all

BlueSwordM said:

These aren’t flashlights and on Endless Sphere we don’t drop battery packs. 65+ cells in mass, dropped from a few feet will likely affect more than a single collapsed + terminal. I’d say, bad idea regardless of contact method.

Can you tell me the distance between the left & right side of the inside? Printed a few and they're around 67mm. Which leaves only 2mm for the bars which seems far too tight.

Thanks.

My Samsung 25R cells fit tight too. Also the covers were very tight, I had to squeeze the pack to get them on. It's a good thing that they are tight as the mechanical connection is better that way. I was able to get all cells but the end ones out without issue. If you pry on each end of the battery back and forth to jack the cells out a bit at a time, you can get them out without damage.

On my last pack with removable cells I put a ribbon under the cells to pull them out with and that worked well. These packs have closer tolerances and I don't think the ribbon would fit in the packs.

EDIT: I found that you can just whack the open pack on your hand over something soft like carpet and the cells will pop right out. It's pretty easy to remove the cells. I decided to add some dialectic grease to all of the cells to prevent corrosion. I actually did have some corrosion on the minus end of two of my 25R cells that had been in a pack out in the garage for over a year.

Warren

Put together my friend joels 10s8p NESE pack last night. The engineering is superb on these. The product is really well thought out.

Unfortunately I had a bit of user error last night and managed to sacrifice one of the 18650 to the gods of fire. I was trying to get the cell in to the slot at the end nearest the terminals. The cell didn't go in straight and then I must have shorted the top +ve of the cell using the edge of the positive rail and caused a few sparks to start flying in his living room. Anyway just a warning to builders to be careful.

A fast ebay replacement is £6.49 for the hg1 cells he is using which is a bit more than the 4 euros when his ordered 80 of them from nkon.nl. I feel guilty so will pay for this myself.

Anyway Thanks AgniusM will most likely use your system myself in the future.

Thank you for positive feedback. Appreciate it.
One thing i always strongly recommend is garolite gasket ring on positive end of the cell. The pvc is to thin it takes little effort to cut through.

googled garolite gasket ring didn't get much, do you have a link?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32856698297.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32856698297&productSubject=100pcs-lot-18650-lithium-battery-anode-hollow-flat-insulation-gasket-meson-18650-hollow-barley-paper-insulation&spm=2114.search0104.3.30.122a733eWEsTjk&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10152_10151_10065_10344_10068_10342_10343_10340_10341_10696_10084_5724015_10083_10618_5724315_10307_10820_10821_5724215_10303_10302_5724115_10059_100031_5725015_10103_5724915_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620,searchweb201603_51,ppcSwitch_5&algo_expid=c370648e-d4f7-4aa1-8e3b-5ebfb95f6c60-4&algo_pvid=c370648e-d4f7-4aa1-8e3b-5ebfb95f6c60&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0

whereswally606 said:
googled garolite gasket ring didn't get much, do you have a link?
AKA "fish paper" and "barley paper" gaskets

Hi. Long time have not posted here. too busy :) Anyway, some updates for customers that might be looking

Since June we have started a loyalty program.
Customers who have spent 500.00€ and more will receive 10% discount coupon on future orders, valid indefinitely.
Customers who have spent 2000.00€ on their account will receive 20% discount on future orders. Coupon valid indefinitely.

How about 20% for being a fanboy? :idea:

If you're trying to bend some metal and it brakes it might be tempered you might need to be annealed. Just for a test heat it up. Drop it in boric acid ( cheap white powder Roach poison ) and water. ( silver and gold acid solution ) or maybe just water? If too hot you can crap the nickel plating off the copper. Bender.

P.S. Tom you are volunteering for fanboy I think it's only needed in the summer months but waving that fan for 12 hours a day will grow you some muscles.

I have to congratulate you on your clever, well-thought-out design. I think your pricing is more than fair for the additional value provided by your solution. I will be building a battery pack next spring and I plan on purchasing your kits. One question though: if I order (40) 8p NESE modules and also specify a specific color (e.g. yellow) is the total additional cost still just €15.00 per color?

Thanks!
M

MJSfoto1956 said:
I have to congratulate you on your clever, well-thought-out design. I think your pricing is more than fair for the additional value provided by your solution. I will be building a battery pack next spring and I plan on purchasing your kits. One question though: if I order (40) 8p NESE modules and also specify a specific color (e.g. yellow) is the total additional cost still just €15.00 per color?

Thanks!
M

Hello. Thank you. The cost is per color and it does not matter how many modules you order. One thing to keep in mind is lead time as custom color is made on demand. The cost is to cover shipping and some time involved getting particular color.
If you are planning on ordering that many and if the total is more than 500eur you will receive discount on the remaining parts. Say your order total is 700eur excluding shipping, you will be paying 680eur(500+(200-10%)) and all orders after that will receive 10% discount. 20% after spending 2000eur.
Regards
P.S. you can also have two colors, say yellow base and white lid. This arrangement would be 30eur extra.
Any color with stock translucent would be 15eur, e.g. yellow base and translucent lid.

PadhqiM.jpg

Some modules will be used on student formula e car. Rules require one temp sensor per max 3 cells. Here is 8P nese with 3 DS18B20 sensors. These could be linked, only 2 wires needed and each one has its own signature. Modules are over 3mm wider and now they could be stacked to one side only:

wmKynGg.png

Pcb is overlayed with plastic. Ilustration only:

xKnEWKC.png

fMF73yy.png

very cool agniusm. these are compatible with Lebowski controllers or just using a Arduino to aggregate the temps and cut off controllers if any go too hot.

whereswally606 said:
very cool agniusm. these are compatible with Lebowski controllers or just using a Arduino to aggregate the temps and cut off controllers if any go too hot.

Thanks. You need to use some sort of microcontroller as you might have 100 probe point in your battery pack that needs to be addressed. That gives a lot of possibilities. In given example if thermal is trigerred, you can pinpoint hotspot within module. You can assign cell number and then top, middle and bottom for each probe, e.g. s01mid or s20btm.
Its involving to read all the probes and then assign them but the guys in competitions need that to qualify.
Its not that hard to interface between microcontroller and motor controller or bms. You can add CAN to duino stuff

I have made very simple survey and if people who purchased parts or kits from me, could spend 1 minute of their time to fill it in i would appreciate it. I would appreciate unbiased, good or bad.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RJSMM3Y

Back