Halls sensor replacement

newbiehere

100 mW
I have a 36 volt 350 watt brushless motor that has suddenly stopped working. I tested the halls supply red/blk and got 6.5 volts but between ground (blk) and yellow blue or green signal wires I got 13.5 volts. One of the halls appears to be facing down, the 2 on the sides up. what would give me such a reading? Is one of the halls open..or since one is facing down, its acting as a voltage doubler? is this normal? I have ordered the honeywell ss41 as replacements.

also, can one change the cap value on the board to a higher rating to put in more voltage, or is it more involved than that?

and..how does one test the phase wires for output? just put the voltmeter lead in one phase wire hole and the other to ground?

newbiehere said:
I have a 36 volt 350 watt brushless motor that has suddenly stopped working. I tested the halls supply red/blk and got 6.5 volts
That is generally a high voltage as most controllers send 5v to the halls.

but between ground (blk) and yellow blue or green signal wires I got 13.5 volts.
there is usually one return wire, not 3.
One of the halls appears to be facing down, the 2 on the sides up. what would give me such a reading?
We have to take your word for it because the picture is too blurry to see what you are describing.

I have ordered the honeywell ss41 as replacements.

How do you know your Halls are bad?

also, can one change the cap value on the board to a higher rating to put in more voltage, or is it more involved than that?

You can throw any cap you want into a pc board, but why?

:D

dude if your not going to post anything that helps, why post a reply at all? The other member posted a very helpful reply.

also there isnt usually one return signal wire, there is always 3 on every controller I have seen, otherwise how is the controller going to know which hall is signaling? there is one common 5V supply and blk wire, but 3 signal wires

Wow.....here I am posting the most pertinent questions you need to answer to solve your problem, and you go all agro on me....

If you want your questions answered, calm down and answer the questions from one of the guys who have been around here for a long time, and, maybe we can solve your problem.

newbiehere said:
also there isnt usually one return signal wire, there is always 3 on every controller I have seen, otherwise how is the controller going to know which hall is signaling? there is one common 5V supply and blk wire, but 3 signal wires

Bullshit.

:D

dude I got great help from another member who knows what he is talking about

thanks for your...whatever

also, for the signal wires, the pic dont lie. look and observe. 1 red 1 blk 3 signals. for other controllers I dont know but the ones I have all have 3 signal wires.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=95487&p=1399912&hilit=hubmonster#p1399912

Still in need of help? I think there's plenty of info on the site or even youtube videos to aid you if you search.

What do you feed the sensor with? 13,5V and 6,5V is higher than the usual logic levels. Either 5V or 12V is common voltages sourced from the controller. What controller is it? Maybe a Kelly?

How to test:
Feed +5V to red and connect black to ground. Measure signal between signal wire and ground. Use a magnet to switch the sensor on/off. Does it switch? If not then it's busted :D

I'd really recommend to get one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24V-36V-48V-60V-Electric-Bike-Car-Scooter-Brushless-Motor-Controller-Tester-UK-/272025774151

It' probably the best ebike kit i've bought :D

Back