Thanks Hyena for Fork & Shock, Steer Tube looks unreal and beefy

My build is starting to finally Begin.

Attachments

• 20180816_083028.jpg
    20180816_083028.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 3,384
lashebikes-800.jpg

Just "finished" this bad-ass bike.

I installed the S12SN controller, its a bit faster max speed of about 47kmh (plenty fast really)..
and has good pop off the line, as in pretty easy to mono. It really reminds me of my alphas snap, this aint a toy!

Ive been dicking around with the settings in the controller lcd3. I think i have the best settings, there is a bit of a studder at mid way and a bit further throttle, nothing too bad, and only really noticable spining the wheel in the air, not so much while riding. It feels nice under load, so im thinking this slight vibration is normal.

Looking online from what i can find, most macs make a bit of a noise.

The suspension is mint, its just plush at the moment but really soaks up the bumps nicely.

I'll do a video review / overview soon, but so far pretty stoked with it.
Would probably buy an asi800 next to test one of those, (but yeah 3-5x the price of the s12sn.

Woha, you´ve got taste mister! One of the nicest betas out there for sure!
Where is Jay at? He reads my pms but no responce, need ot order a few frames.

Lash said:
lashebikes-800.jpg

Just "finished" this bad-ass bike.

I installed the S12SN controller, its a bit faster max speed of about 47kmh (plenty fast really)..
and has good pop off the line, as in pretty easy to mono. It really reminds me of my alphas snap, this aint a toy!

Ive been dicking around with the settings in the controller lcd3. I think i have the best settings, there is a bit of a studder at mid way and a bit further throttle, nothing too bad, and only really noticable spining the wheel in the air, not so much while riding. It feels nice under load, so im thinking this slight vibration is normal.

Looking online from what i can find, most macs make a bit of a noise.

The suspension is mint, its just plush at the moment but really soaks up the bumps nicely.

I'll do a video review / overview soon, but so far pretty stoked with it.
Would probably buy an asi800 next to test one of those, (but yeah 3-5x the price of the s12sn.

What a clean ride. I really like it. white rims, forks and frame just looks great. And the MAC motor is a really sweet hub motor for what it is, the MAC 10 on my Beta has over 4000 mostly off road miles now and been pulling duty since 2013.

Allex said:
Where is Jay at? He reads my pms but no responce

Sorry I've been sick on and off for the last few months and haven't been online much. I read your PM in bed on my phone but had to wait until I was in front of a PC to look up the shipping. PM sent.

Cheeko, likewise sorry for the delay in getting your frame out. It should be delivered tomorrow.

I'm battling to finish off the last 2 FUTRs I've been working on for ages now. I'll post pics when I'm done!

Does anyone have a link or recommendation for a single, 3 speed or for that matter any rear freehub that will work on the Flux Beta with a half link chain and a wide narrow front chain-ring.... Believe me, I have searched and all I come up with is crappy Chinese hubs that sound like they are grinding metal..... Thanks for any recommendation!

CFM said:
Does anyone have a link or recommendation for a single, 3 speed or for that matter any rear freehub that will work on the Flux Beta with a half link chain and a wide narrow front chain-ring.... Believe me, I have searched and all I come up with is crappy Chinese hubs that sound like they are grinding metal..... Thanks for any recommendation!

I get pretty good milage out of the 12 tooth chinese ones. plenty on aliexpress if you just want one or two. Otherwise chain reaction cycles or other online cycle shops can have what you need by yeah you'll need to pay more. Also depends on how many teeth you want.

DNP are popular and cheap enough, with 11 or 12t? from memory, em3ev and glowworm have them stocked too i think.

Lash said:
Your alpha came out great CD. How do you like that tensioner? Is that the one from cycling deal? I need to pick up a couple for some upcoming alphas. Id also like one like that for my own bike too.
Thanks Lash.

The tensioner is ok. It could do with a bit more tension and the adjustment is a bit stiff, but overall it works ok.

If I don't sell the Alpha as is I might swap it out with a derailleur. I think having gears is a bit more of a selling point regardless of whether or not they are useful. The Bomber and it's 9 speed gearbox is a prime example of that.

Cheers

Hyena said:
Allex said:
Where is Jay at? He reads my pms but no responce

Sorry I've been sick on and off for the last few months and haven't been online much. I read your PM in bed on my phone but had to wait until I was in front of a PC to look up the shipping. PM sent.

Cheeko, likewise sorry for the delay in getting your frame out. It should be delivered tomorrow.

I'm battling to finish off the last 2 FUTRs I've been working on for ages now. I'll post pics when I'm done!

Love your work Hyena, got frame yesterday can't wait to start building this thing up.

After weeks of failed prototypes I have finally managed to come up with a decent 3D printed chain guide for the Alpha.

I had many failures and redesigns along the way:
View attachment 10
DSC_4861.JPG
And here is just some of the prototype designs I tried:
DSC_4862.JPG

Eventually, after ditching the idea of the top side guide, I settled on this design:
Capture.JPG
DSC_4923.JPGDSC_4925.JPGDSC_4926.JPGDSC_4928.JPG

I found that having the guide on the bottom is enough to keep the chain on the largest chain ring on top even over rough terrain. So long as one doesn't pedal backwards over large ruts and rocks it works fine. :)
In my case I have a 60T front chain ring (spaced out by a 38T and 52T) and the smallest rear cog is 14T. The guide is still effective on the 52T ring, but does nothing for the 38T. It's likely the design will need to be adjusted to suit what-ever chain ring sizes others run if you want to use this same design, but feel free to download and adjust to suit.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3154020

My previous design incorporated part of a chain tensioner pulley on the top side, however whenever a large force was exerted the 3D printed PLA would give out and snap, so I just gave up on that idea after a few failures.
DSC_4894.JPG
If anyone is interested in continuing to try and get it to work, my final revision of that version is attached.
View attachment Stealth Swing-arm chain guide.zip

Cheers

Rix said:
mark 324 said:
Where is Jay at? Send pms, need order a 1 frame?

Hit him up on FB. He's in the process of building up a bigwheel 85 KTM with a potential peak power of 30KW.

Good to hear Rix. Hadn't seen any activity from him for a while and it was really starting to worrying me.

Just finished another 3D printed part for my Alpha...I just can't stop designing making things for it! :lol: :roll:

The latest addition is a rear mud guard. It's obviously not as long as a commercial option since it's not possible to fit on a standard sized 3D printer, but I quite like the shorter look and if the missing length becomes an issue, I can always print an extension and bolt/glue it on without too much hassle.

The guard is divided into 2 parts; a mount and the guard itself. The mount clips onto the lower shock mount and is very strong. The zip ties probably aren't needed, but are there for added security anyway. The mount should also fit the Beta, and Fighter as they all use similar rear shock supports. The guard part is specific to my 18" rim + 3.5" tire combo so would need to be adjusted to suit other wheel sizes.
The lock together using a 40mm M3 Bolt and Nylock nut which is recessed into the upper section by a few mm. Makes it super easy to tighten or remove.

View attachment 6DSC_4946.JPGDSC_4948.JPGDSC_4949.JPGView attachment 2DSC_4951.JPG

The other option I considered is just making the mount so it could have a normal rear guard attached that I buy, such as the Defender M2 which I use on my Fighter, but again, I like the look of the shorter guard...even if it is less practical. I'll see how this goes for a while.

If anyone wants to download a copy to try for themselves feel free. :)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3165597

Cheers

Nice work CD. Are you printing with ABS ? It'll be interesting to see how it holds up - it looks like that narrow section where it bolts to the mount is a weak spot, though I guess if it's solid it'd be strong enough. I use a topeak front mudguard cable tied directly to the shock mount and find it's quite effective at protecting the shock from getting caked. My back, not so much!

Kepler said:
Good to hear Rix. Hadn't seen any activity from him for a while and it was really starting to worrying me.
Thanks for the concern Kep, as much as I'm an electron cloud enthusiast I'm still clinging to my corporeal form :p
I had a rough run for a while and had to suspend all ebike activities. I'd like to get back to it one day if circumstances change but for now I just can't promise people bikes that will likely take me months to finish. I've been clearing out my workshop, geez I've amassed alot of ebike crap over the years! I'm hoping in my limited spare time I can actually finish off my own beta which is ridiculously overdue to hit the road. As Rix said I've started work on a electric KTM project. I got it cheap with a blown motor and have stripped that out but that's about as far as I've progressed at the moment! Hopefully I can get some time over the christmas holidays to work on it.

Anyway back on topic, here's the last 2 builds I finished off recently

The beta is a mid spec build running 4kw peak and largely for street use. I played with some stripes and stickers as a variation on the plain side covers.

n-beta.jpg

The alpha is a mixed beast, with single crown forks to look more bicycle-ish but with a 19" moto front and a fat 18" moto rear end. The rear wheel is running 110 wide knobbies (limited tyre choices in 18") which unfortunately saw me running into the same issues as cowardly duck found so I had to trim down the side knobs. With the taller tyre it runs almost exactly the same OK as the 19" front. This one is running 6kw with a mxus 3k turbo and a big 30ah battery. I didn't get a pic of it finished off but you get the idea from this pic. The owner of this one is about to set off on a huge 1+ year tour with his family to all manner of remote locations around the country so I'll hopefully get some pics from the back of beyond.

View attachment 1

Hyena said:
Nice work CD. Are you printing with ABS ? It'll be interesting to see how it holds up - it looks like that narrow section where it bolts to the mount is a weak spot, though I guess if it's solid it'd be strong enough. I use a topeak front mudguard cable tied directly to the shock mount and find it's quite effective at protecting the shock from getting caked. My back, not so much!
Thanks Jay. It's just PLA. Plenty strong enough if designed correctly. I took it for a spin on the weekend and did have it break after my chain got sucked into it by my tire...the chain guide I 3D printed is not tall enough to prevent the chain catching on the tires side knobs and getting sucked down into the swing-arm. I'm redesigning the chain guide to better prevent the chain moving about on the top side, but the guard is fine as is and plenty strong enough for the job. I print it with 35% infill which gives it heaps of strength...ABS really isn't needed and it's barely any stronger in real terms anyway.

I'm liking your Alpha. How do you find the MXUS 3K at 6KW? I've been finding mine get's hot even with FF and Heatsinks and think my Adaptto tuning may be off.

Cheers

Hey Jay, Alpha looks tough. May go that route some day with my next build. Beta looks good too. Glad you are getting back around. :bigthumb:

At CD, nice parts, getting creative with the accessories.

So it looks like I have a buyer for my Alpha, however they want a larger capacity battery.
I've agreed to make this for them, and taken some measurements to see what is possible with 18650's.

Based on my past experience building my Fighter batter being able to fit 7 cells across the 120mm frame width is possible if staggered like this:
DSC_4198.JPGView attachment 1DSC_4287.JPG
This let me put 9 groups of 14 cells along the bottom layer, with a further 5 end to end on top for a 14S14P pack.

Since the Alpha frame has a 140mm tall frame, I am able to fit the top layer standing up meaning 9 groups of 14 cells top and bottom for 18S14P. This should be a monster pack and give the bike over 150km range easy.

Just like my Fighter pack, I plan on using just nickel strips for current carrying and will layer up 4 layers x 7 series connections per parallel group...way over kill, but it's what worked well for my Fighter. The current should by limited to 140A, but the buyer may want to push this a little to match the existing 160A granted by the current LiPo setup.

Has anyone else done anything like this yet for their Alpha? I know Lash made a similar pack a while back, but can't recall if it was 14p like this.

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Has anyone else done anything like this yet for their Alpha? I know Lash made a similar pack a while back, but can't recall if it was 14p like this.

Hey CD, my pack was 20s10p the cells were nested together but only 5 wide i think from memory. I like simple packs so you can build fast.
14s14p is 196 cells, so 20s10p is slighlty more. I think alex holds the record for 20s12p?

I like a little wiggle room and room for padding.

Ive been meaning to post some updates for moths, but have just been swamped with so much stuff.

The bionicon c guide is a good chain tentioner so far in my tests, but did not prevent chain drops in all times.
but was an improvement.

What has been good for chain drops is the narrow-wide chain ring. 0 drops so far.

I must say I really like the MAc (well 2nd MAC)... the first one got a bit toasty. long story.
anyway, I now configured the controller (40a) to run at 50% capacity, so now It pulls around 500 or so watts accordin to the display. Funny thing is it feels very similar acceleration when 1000w+ was going through it. I really love the 12t, and it blasts past the mxus geared motor.

I have some 1500w 35mm DD motors ready to go on some other betas so hope to get a test on those soon. might even get a listing up before xmas for a lucky punter or 2, but i get a feeling i think i want a 1500w beast in my stable too. hehehhe....

anyway rambling. will post some pics etc soon.

Back