Bafang ultra upgrade to 2500watt

Very cool thread.
Two things though..

Bafang has a history of underbuilding things. You might see a wonderfully huge stator here, but i'd bet the drivetrain is not as tough.. i would run a low phase amp to battery amp ratio. This means you want low initial torque. Program the controller to give more of a flattish torque response vs one with a strong peak in it, and you can help protect the drivetrain from extra stress. Us geared motor guys have been using that trick to boost power without destroying those nylon gears for a long time.. :)

Secondly, consider heatsinking the phaserunner to the case very very well. The phase runner can go into temperature limiting at high power without additional heatsinking and air flowing through it. Here, you're sharing the motor heat and the controller heat in the same space and air is not helping you much unless you thermally link the controller to the outside case. I would use those bolt holes on the phaserunner and some copper shims and maybe even thermal paste to create a thermal link between the phaserunner and the bafang case... at a minimum!

Best wishes on this project!
-nep

jpc6000 said:
I have change nothing in CA configuration
What is standard?

With the Torque sensor correctly wired and these settings your motor should engage when you turn the crank.
Don't forget the 20.000Ω resistor between PAS and GND

PAS_settings2.jpg

Ivanovitch_k said:

Sorry I'm not very electrically inclined. Is that an IPM motor I'm looking at? Does anyone know if the BBHD is as well?

It has 70cells 14S5P.
Yes, it is possible to squeeze 70 in there and a BMS

I have try to find an BMS 17S +/=50A, but all are to big to fit in the ANN batterycase :?:
And some pictures, how that you squeeze 70 18650 battery's in the case.

jpc6000 said:
And some pictures, how that you squeeze 70 18650 battery's in the case.

Finding a 17S 50A BMS that will fit the case... won't be easy.

Cell layout:
You can find these pics online:
20161214-212929449.png

But this layout will NOT fit a Jumbo shark case (Hailong 2)
The top row of 6 cells has to move 1 cell to the right.
And you can not use the switch and the USB plug that come with the case.

Layout should be like this.

bigshark.jpg

But the spacing between cells has to be very accurate.
I always make a mold first with my CNC router to make sure the cells are correctly glued.
Picture of a 14S4P mold.

15a.jpg

I used the Hailong switch to power up my Phaserunner.
ultraswitch.jpg

I have found a BMS with good dimensions I think :D
but it's not a smart BMS

bms17s50a.png

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/17S-li-ion-battery-protection-circuit-board-PCB-71-4V-with-40A-constant-discharge-current-and/32813592803.html

bms17s50a p2.png

jpc6000 said:
I have found a BMS with good dimensions I think :D
but it's not a smart BMS

What power are you aiming for?

On the previous page you said:

jpc6000 said:
This should be for me better, than I can use 72V ...

the 17S 100A Smart EV li ion battery PCB board Bluetooth Mobile BMS for 71.4V Li-Ion 18650

And the battery SAMSUNG INR18650-35E UNPROTECTED 3500Mah /13A max
17x4=68 battery's

Samsung INR18650-35E only has a continuous discharge of 8A
Nominal voltage is 3.6V so a 17S gives 61.2V nominal.

A 17S4P Will give you 61.2V with a continuous discharge of 32A = 61.2x32 = 1.958Watts (827Wh)

You should go for the Samsung 30Q with a continuous discharge of 15A and a 50A BMS 61.2Vx50= 3.060Watts (724Wh)

or if you want a bit more range: 14S5P Sanyo NCR18650GA continuous discharge of 10A 52Vx50= 2600Watts (912Wh)

there are new cells
Samsung INR21700-40T 4000mAh - 30A
17S4P Will give you 61.2V with a continuous discharge of 120A = 61.2x120 = 7344Watts :lol:

From exess-bikes:

The only problem is the controller because Bafang has made several versions which are not compatible. But we are currently developing our own controller which will be much more reliable, more efficient (higher range), better software, better protection. It will be available end of 2018. It fit in the place where the Bafang controller is mounted, so it just replaces the Bafang Controller. It comes with all bikes from January 2019 and it will be available as an aftersales part as well. So the customers having already an EXESS bike can use this controller also.

Will you be able to run more than 30A through the new controller?

yes we will be able to run more than 30A. I don’t know yet how much current we will enable, this needs to be determined.

pas not working

I have change config ca to your info.
But its not working?
In config pas I see only second bar go up and down
the other do not change!
this is two wire torque pas, so something is wrong! :confused:

PAS->SensrType identifies the interface as either 1-Wire (Dir) or 2-Wire (Dir+RPM). Proper setting may be determined by going to the SETUP PAS SENSOR screen, rotating the crank, and seeing if one or both of the 'P' and 'D' arrows alternate up and down. If one, it is a 1-wire sensor, if both it is 2-Wire.

Whats wrong?

Torque sensor still not working :mrgreen:

Pas signal ok
20181203_135635_001 (Groot).jpg

but in CA setup pas device D go up and down but P not?
20181203_144650 (Groot).jpg

jpc6000 said:
Torque sensor still not working :mrgreen:

Pas signal ok
but in CA setup pas device D go up and down but P not?
Looks like the same problem I had untill I installed the 20K resistor.
Are you sure you added a resistor?
Tell me how you connected it, or do you have a picture?

I have ask Grin about the problem, they answer:

In a pinch you can always just switch the P and D signals, since in principle only the P is needed for PAS to work.

I'm not at all familiar with the actual sensor signal levels of that product, but a volt meter will tell you what is going on. You just need to sort things out so that the CA's PAS input lines are toggled between 0V and 5V. Obviously in your current setup they aren't or you'd see the signal toggle.
:(

when moving cranck
pas / gnd switch between 0.782v and 2.4v
Pas shift / gnd switch between 4.29v and 1.4v
Gnd and Speed/Dir 0.7v back and forwards nothing change
Gnd and Torque 70mv back and forwards nothing change

this is not the same what Daxxie messure!
On the back of the print stays
ZL1/ZL2/5V
DS/LJ/GND

:?:

jpc6000 said:
when moving cranck
Pas shift / gnd switch between 4.29v and 1.4v
Gnd and Speed/Dir 0.7v back and forwards nothing change
Gnd and Torque 70mv back and forwards nothing change

this is not the same what Daxxie messure!

Well you have the 20K resistor installed so its normal that your PAS / gnd signal is lower then mine which was measured without a resistor.
Pas shift looks good.
Dir you do not need.
Torque you can not measure with simply rotating the crank.
You need pressure on the pedals.
You would have to install it on a bike and pedal to actualy measure it or hold the chainweel with a vice grip and apply pressure to the pedal.

So all those values look pretty good.

This is what Justin from grin technologies write about the problem

when moving cranck

That's not really enough for a reliable digital signaling. Really you want <1V and >3.5V for proper logic level signalling. :idea:

I have changed the resistor
Now it change between 0.97v and 3.42v
Setup pas device is still not pick up signal pas :?: :oops:
When I change more, it's more then 1V! :?

Back