Orion Jr. BMS for 48V Electric Go-Kart

garolittle

10 kW
My plan is to buy the following Nissan Leaf Modules and use a 48V Orion Jr. BMS:

https://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=223&name=48v-lithium-conversion-set-3200wh-battery-pack-diy5460-17&Itemid=605

To distribute the weight more evenly, I will put 4 of the Leaf modules on one side of my go kart and 3 on the other (see picture below showing the planned placement). The set of modules on each side will be connected (in parallel) with 2 or 4 AWG wire running behind the seat.

I know there are less expensive options but I really want to run as much as 300A max current an many other BMS's do not allow it. Before I spend nearly $600 on the Orion Jr. BMS (link below), I have a simple question. What do you guys think? Is this a good idea? Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

BMS LINK: https://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=69&name=orion-bms-jr-system-with-can-set-for-16-cells&Itemid=605

The Orion BMS looks like a top of the line unit, but $600 would break my budget. A much less expensive option would be to use a "dumb" BMS that handles the cell protection features and wimpy balancing. Then occasionally check the individual cell voltages with a voltmeter to see how well balanced they are.

fechter said:
The Orion BMS looks like a top of the line unit, but $600 would break my budget. A much less expensive option would be to use a "dumb" BMS that handles the cell protection features and wimpy balancing. Then occasionally check the individual cell voltages with a voltmeter to see how well balanced they are.

Thanks for the idea. I appreciate the response.

Orion Jr is great BMS, especially combo with high power TC Elcon chargers. Go for can bus version.

If the problem with cheaper BMS is that they won't handle the output current needed, you could use the gate drive for the insufficient output FET stage to instead drive a bit of electronics (transistor relay driver, etc) that turns a contactor on and off.

Much cheaper than the Orion system.

amberwolf said:
If the problem with cheaper BMS is that they won't handle the output current needed, you could use the gate drive for the insufficient output FET stage to instead drive a bit of electronics (transistor relay driver, etc) that turns a contactor on and off.

Much cheaper than the Orion system.

Thanks. Will research this idea as well. I do not have much expertise in this area but I will certainly review it as an option. Thanks again for the idea.

I gave this much thought. I am going to buy the Orion Jr. BMS. It is more than I planned to spend but I always have the option of using it for other applications. Thanks to everyone who responded. Long live ES. :D

999zip999 said:
I like bigger cells than 18650 and these are automotive grade. Good luck.
Thank you for finding E.S. as we learn with you.

Yes Sir and thank you. ES has been invaluable as I learn the basics. I can not imagine trying to learn everything needed for a project without the internet.

UPDATE: So I purchased the Orion Jr. BMS for my electric go-kart that will be powered by Nissan Leaf modules. I wanted a higher grade BMS capable of the amps my go kart will use (150 amps constant and 300 amps maximum) and that is what led me to the Orion. Jr. I must admit that I may be out of my "expertise level" regarding this BMS. I have experience with much less expensive BMS's which have fairly simple wiring diagrams however the Orion Jr. BMS is far more advanced than I anticipated. I don’t want to mess up this quality product so I believe I need to hire someone to do the work for me. Any recommendations for anyone in the Southeast USA who has used the Orion Jr. BMS that I can contact for some direct help? I am willing to take my project (ie drive) to a knowledgeable person and pay them to help me but would need someone within a driving distance of Augusta, GA (i.e anyone in South Carolina, North Carolina, or Georgia). I don't want to take any chances with such an advanced piece of equipment. Thanks for any suggested points of contact you can offer.

Gary Little
Augusta, GA

You can still back out of Orion and go with something like TinyBMS. TinyBMS can deal with up to 750A using external contactor, and is much simpler to setup. Way cheaper too :D

https://www.energusps.com/shop/product/tiny-bms-s516-150a-750a-36

cricketo said:
You can still back out of Orion and go with something like TinyBMS. TinyBMS can deal with up to 750A using external contactor, and is much simpler to setup. Way cheaper too :D

https://www.energusps.com/shop/product/tiny-bms-s516-150a-750a-36

Thanks for the reply. Am I reading the specs correctly in that this BMS can handle 150-200 amps of continuous discharge current? Thanks again!

garolittle said:
Thanks for the reply. Am I reading the specs correctly in that this BMS can handle 150-200 amps of continuous discharge current? Thanks again!

That board can be used with or without external contactor. Without a contactor 150A is the peak, continuous is 60A. With external contactor I think there is essentially no limit, but they specify 750A. On that page there are two example wiring diagrams, one of them (left one) shows the configuration with contactor, which is what you want for your setup.

In case I keep the Orion Jr. BMS does anyone have a recommended expert I could hire? I am willing to take my project (ie drive) to a knowledgeable person and pay them to help me but would need someone within a driving distance of Augusta, GA (i.e anyone in South Carolina, North Carolina, or Georgia). Thanks again for all the ideas and suggestions. Gary

Back