GNG / CYC X1 Pro 3000w

argghh take my money!
Just have to decide whether to get geared or chain drive, leaning towards the chain drive.
time to go measure up my spare DH bike.

What would be advantages of the chain drive version? Less noise maybe, and what else?
Both motors do not look like they'd allow a double chainring setup.

Just FYI, Jon Chan told me that the price goes up after the initial run. He didn't specify how much.
Understand that you are buying the first run of a brand new product. Bring an extra controller and some knowledge of the mechanical domain with you.. and enjoy.

PS, i am unfortunately not going to be buying one of these yet. Wife's car blew up and i'm going to have a major surgery sooner than i thought. I still want to play with one of these, but the timing is wrong.

Uturn said:
What would be advantages of the chain drive version? Less noise maybe, and what else?
Both motors do not look like they'd allow a double chainring setup.

i was thinking of the chain version purely because i think the longer bracket will allow me a little bit more flexiblilty with what frames it will fit nicely, and if im reading their specs correctly you can also mount the controller remotely.

... and the downside would be that the motor weight (and gyroscopic force when its spinning) would be higher up and further forward compared to the geared version. although it may not really make that much difference

I went chain because I wasn't sure that gears open to the air could maintain enough lubrication.

I do think these will need to be a big upgrade over the Cyclone to be worth more than they are asking for the initial run.

-Grant

Bad Idea on Jon's part ,

He will loose many potential customers if he raises the price !

They are already charging extra $ for things like PAS , and Brake Cut off sensors, and a few other items.
Then
Add the cost of Shipping .

What is the cost of shipping to the U.S. ?

neptronix said:
Just FYI, Jon Chan told me that the price goes up after the initial run. He didn't specify how much.

Cross shop it with equivalent drives. Tangents.. aden power kit.. recumpence drive ( including the $$$ astro motor ).. etc.
You'll find it's very cheap at $700 and still kinda cheap at $1000.

my bill shipped to the door was 806. Pretty close to a BBSHD shipped to my door.

Early adoption usually is accompanied by a bit of an initial price discount. I've been encouraged to provide some feedback if I run in to any issues. Jon indicated they are looking forward to feedback from me (us). Looking forward to doing so.

I imagine there will be a few hiccups, but I'm hoping their advantage will be the ability to iterate, refine, and scale more quickly than smaller outfits.

Glad they consider ES the place to put their kit through the paces :thumb:

I have compared it to the others, and that is why I like the looks of it, meaning the design and expected performance of it so much.
While its price is affordable to some people , for others like me it is reaching the upper limit in price .
The higher the price the more I could just not justify leaving a hub motor behind .
Even though I have been wanting a mid-drive for a couple of years now.

Now that I see the shipping is around $ 100 to the U.S.
That brings the price to at least $ 800 plus for it with just a couple of options.
and $ 900 or more once the price is raised.

That is at a price point that leaves many of us behind, meaning we are not able to buy it.

neptronix said:
Cross shop it with equivalent drives. Tangents.. aden power kit.. recumpence drive ( including the $$$ astro motor ).. etc.
You'll find it's very cheap at $700 and still kinda cheap at $1000.

Does anyone have any real videos of this unit fitted to an actual bike?
What about information about the PAS and how it works (torque/cadence etc)?

I love the look of it, but with so little information available, I'm not sure I could bring myself to spend BBSHD money on it at this time. Maybe once it's been tested and proven.

Totally understand.
I'm tired of the drivetrain issues with hubs and mid drives. The reason i'm attracted to this is because you could fairly easily turn it into a direct wheel drive on the right frame. The ultimate style of drive in my opinion.

Hence i'd be okay with stretching the budget a little. Especially at this price.

Just my 2 cents.

neptronix said:
Totally understand.
The reason i'm attracted to this is because you could fairly easily turn it into a direct wheel drive on the right frame.

So i had it right years ago when i was using spindle drive on my scooters =)

Are you thinking like I , a frame with 148 mm rear spacing so that,
A single large cog on the rear wheel ? ( with 148mm or wider spacing you can put the drive on the left side of the bike, inside of the brake rotor)

Right side or left ( disc brake ) side ?

On the right side you would always have to peddle,

On the left side you do not have to always peddle, you can then let the freewheel on the cassette/one cog freewheel, thereby eliminating the need to have a freewheel on the crank, although this motor comes with a freewheel on the crankset ??

Just thinking in case I do not come up with the money for this, and have to build my own system .

neptronix said:
The reason i'm attracted to this is because you could fairly easily turn it into a direct wheel drive on the right frame. The ultimate style of drive in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

I've tossed around machining a belt pulley so that the rear brake caliper and disk would sit inside it. You could do the same with a very large sprocket I suppose. Would work best in multiple pieces of course.

Bike71 said:

Cyclone sounds much quieter to the human. The perception of sound is different across the frequency spectrum, so while the device might show a lower dB, the deeper tone doesn't bother your ears as much as a high pitched tone, even if it is technically louder (which it wasn't).

Matter of fact this test is quite dishonest. They were both 77dB full blast, aside from the different tone, but they wrote 72 for the GNG for 600 shaft RPM so it wins? What the hell? If you compare the motor power full throttle to each other, you should compare the sound full throttle too, as you aren't pulling 3000w out of this motor without reaching 77dB, same as cyclone. It is not the user's fault you chose a higher RPM motor that squeals like a pig to reach the advertised power.

neptronix said:
Hey guys.. i was asking GNG if they had a 0.35mm lamination version of their mid drive motor..
And the guy at the end of the line told me about a new drive coming out in a few months.. the X1-pro.

Here are some pictures he sent:

3.JPG

DH bike left-2.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-08 at 11.42.19 (1)-2.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-08 at 11.42.19-1.jpg

Me: ( do you have a 0.35mm lam motor )

Them: Dear David,
Our new X1-pro 3000w motor is 0.2mm will be available in about 1-2 months but the thickness of GNG2016 premium motor stator lamination is 0.5mm.

Me: Wow, 0.2mm laminations!!! can you tell me more about this X1-pro?

Them: Yes! We spent a lot on the motor stator design and tooling. It is a 80OD motor.
Overall reduction 1:36.
Our motor is only 2.5kg with all the controller and reduction gear.
There will be two version, one with 2nd stage gear reduction, another with 2nd stage chain reduction. And there will also be different mounting option for 68/73/83/100/120mm bottom bracket.

So that's all the info i have for now, but i wanted to tip off ES... :)

Have you news withe your Build ?

I think it was cyclone 3000w and in my opinion Gng did sound more noisy. I would like to see riding videos.

I pre-ordered. Hasnt shipped, figure they will do so when its officially release-able.

I dont know that anyone has received a unit yet.

I've other things upstream to get sorted anyway. Battery pack and mounting starts tomorrow for me.

Back