Tesla Model 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
billvon said:
Hillhater said:
No... That may be the question in your head, but the recent discussion in the thread was regarding solar replacing all world coal generation, and being, as you put it .." The ultimate solution"
No, that was the discussion you want to have (and can't get away from in another thread.) Again, check out the title. It's right there at the top of your screen.
I cannot help if you have a problem following the discussion bill. Maybe we will have to just speak slowly so you can keep up ?
I did not divert the discussion to solar powering the world, that was Arlo.
..i just corrected some incorrect statements. :roll:

Hillhater said:
I cannot help if you have a problem following the discussion bill. Maybe we will have to just speak slowly so you can keep up ?
I did not divert the discussion to solar powering the world, that was Arlo.
..i just corrected some incorrect statements. :roll:

That's really hilarious. I've only observed a handful of your comments, and you switched the context 3 times while responding to me. Way to see a chip in somebody else's eye.

cricketo said:
That's really hilarious. I've only observed a handful of your comments, and you switched the context 3 times while responding to me. Way to see a chip in somebody else's eye.
Welcome to any discussion with HH.

Meanwhile, order times for the M3 are coming down quickly. Tesla recently sent out a notification that it's possible to get model 3's within 4 weeks now - which is nice if you want the 2018 tax credit.

=============================================================
In the email, Tesla states some new delivery timelines for the delivery of the new version of the Model 3:

under 4 weeks if you can pick up your car directly from our Fremont factory.
4 weeks for the west coast
6 weeks for central
8 weeks for the east coast

It appears that if ordering right now, Tesla can more or less guarantee delivery of the Mid-Range Model 3 by the end of the year in the US.

For people taking delivery of a Tesla vehicle after December 31, 2018 in the US, the federal tax credit is cut in half down to $3,750.
==============================================================

cricketo said:
That's really hilarious. I've only observed a handful of your comments, and you switched the context 3 times while responding to me.
Care to show where i have "switched the context " on you ?
Not that it matters, but the whole of the last few pages have been related to Arlos comment (27 th) regarding Solar replacing all coal generation.....and how that might pan out .!

Hillhater said:
cricketo said:
That's really hilarious. I've only observed a handful of your comments, and you switched the context 3 times while responding to me.
Not that it matters, but the whole of the last few pages have been related to Arlos comment (27 th) regarding Solar replacing all coal generation.....and how that might pan out .!

EV for power generation -> urban folks without EVs -> HVDC too expensive

I see no issues with solar replacing coal in developed nations.

cricketo said:
Hillhater said:
cricketo said:

EV for power generation -> urban folks without EVs -> HVDC too expensive
I see no issues with solar replacing coal in developed nations.
Bill, brought the EV's power storage into the discussion...i pointed out how it wont work for most folk.
Urban folks without EV's......obviously directly part of the discussion
HVDC,... YOU brought into the discussion....how the f#k can you suggest i changed that context . ?
I REPEAT ( because you have problems reading/understanding)... That Solar replacing Coal was brought up by Arlo on 27/10., and all that followed is a result of that.
BUT..again, this is a forum, the discussion rarely holds a straight line .! ..especially when bill v is involved.

Hillhater said:
Bill, brought the EV's power storage into the discussion...i pointed out how it wont work for most folk.
Urban folks without EV's......obviously directly part of the discussion
HVDC,... YOU brought into the discussion....how the f#k can you suggest i changed that context . ?
I REPEAT ( because you have problems reading/understanding)... That Solar replacing Coal was brought up by Arlo on 27/10., and all that followed is a result of that.
BUT..again, this is a forum, the discussion rarely holds a straight line .! ..especially when bill v is involved.

I took the question about EVs for power generation literally as a technical question, and I believe I answered it. I understand there might be additional questions, or a broader context involved, but if you make a sudden jump like saying "drawing power from EVs to supplement grid shortages won't work because not everyone has in EV" is both factually incorrect (it still works, just maybe not to the necessary extent) and also logically inconsequential, making your entire position highly suspect.

Yes, I brought HVDC into conversation as a way to predict a certain response. It is a pretty frequent position among skeptics to point out that Sun doesn't shine at night, and it's not always sunny everywhere, especially in the Winter. I am in Western Oregon by the way, probably one of the places in the US with least amount of sunshine in a year, and I am still convinced solar is the answer. With that said, you didn't have to follow me into the HVDC conversation, and instead you could have debated the technical aspects of my suggestions towards powering the grid from EVs :)

The lower priced version of the model 3 is appearing sooner than expected.

================================================
Tesla Model 3 Mid Range RWD deliveries are starting earlier than expected

By Simon Alvarez
Posted on November 1, 2018

Tesla appears to be learning the art of under-promising and over-delivering. When Tesla announced the Mid Range Model 3, the company noted that deliveries of the vehicle would likely begin within 6-10 weeks. If recent reports from the Tesla community are any indication, though, it appears that deliveries for the Mid Range Model 3 have already begun, less than two weeks since the vehicle was initially launched.

In a recent post, Tesla Motors Club member ivan801 noted that he had taken delivery of his Mid Range Model 3. Based on images shared by the Model 3 owner, his vehicle was a solid black variant with black interior and 18″ Aero Wheels. The vehicle’s VIN was also in the 150k-range, suggesting that Tesla registered the electric car on October. The past month, after all, saw Tesla register more than 61,000 new Model 3 VINs, starting the month with numbers in the 118k-range and ending the month with the highest VINs at the 179k-range.

Apart from the TMC member’s post, a video of a Model 3 accelerating on a freeway on-ramp was recently uploaded on YouTube as well. The video’s owner dubbed the vehicle as the “economy” variant of the Model 3 in the clip’s description, though in later comments, the uploader remarked that the vehicle was a Mid Range Model 3. The short clip featured the vehicle accelerating from a sub-20 mph rolling start, and based on the video; it appears that even Tesla’s “slowest” vehicle to date is still pretty quick on its feet.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-mid-range-rwd-deliveries-starting-earlier/
===================================================

I come across of few of these unhappy Tesla owner photos/stories practically every day on Twitter etc, but this one made me laugh lol..
Massive panel gaps..
As usual, the verdict is that the guy is obviously a Tesla hater and it's really HIS fault for accepting the car on delivery..

https://imgur.com/gallery/MHf1mSf
p7NgoNI.jpg

How far can you go in an electric car? New test reveals the REAL ranges of models on sale today with one falling 100 MILES SHORT of claims
What Car? has begun testing ranges of electric cars under normal driving
Aaim is to challenge claims made by manufacturer about how far you can travel before you need to plug an EV into the mains
Hyundai's Kona has the longest range - 259 miles, which is 33 short of claims
Tesla Model S 75D was 100 miles short of its claimed 304 range quoted online

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-6337871/New-test-reveals-far-electric-cars-REALLY-travel-charge.html

Turns out the Hyundai Kona had the longest REAL range out of all the cars, no wonder why the reviewers on Youtube like this car, and its practically being given away on price..
5612448-0-image-m-7_1540991207865.jpg

The WLTP is supposed to be a new more modern way to test range.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide_harmonized_Light_vehicles_Test_Procedure
I will assume you guys are biased and wont read any of things but ^ that is the new modern test.. the more "common" range tests that are allowed for a lot of cheating are as old as the from the 1970s
EPA Federal Test Procedure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTP-75
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_European_Driving_Cycle
Look for the bit were it says the new modern WLTP test is "Global harmonized WLTP (2015)"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Tesla Q10 financial report came out a few hours ago, this is the detailed report on how exactly Tesla made its money etc, instead of just the headline numbers that came out the other week that don't require any explanation.
I was expecting the Tesla critics to have claims of evil fraud accusations in seconds from the numbers but so far nothing that exciting..

The most obvious one is one that was already expected and that is Tesla cashing in on its low emissions EV government subsidy/credits for 3rd quarter, the only surprise was there were more there than expected.
Oh look, $189M of $TSLA's $312M Q3 profit was generated from selling regulatory credits, $137M of which we weren't told about in the earnings release:

https://twitter.com/ElonBachman/status/1058306143699853312
Dq_b0bMX4AA-rqY.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the truck lid hinges not aligned correctly, or more likely weren't tightened properly after alignment and slipped when the trunk was opened/closed. Probably a 10min spanner job to rectify.

It's a FU, it shouldn't happen, but it does. I recall tales of cars from major manufacturers delivered to dealers with 2 miles on the clock and the head gasket already blown. Or a brake disc on one side of an axle and a drum on the other.

TheBeastie said:
How far can you go in an electric car? New test reveals the REAL ranges of models on sale today with one falling 100 MILES SHORT of claims
What Car? has begun testing ranges of electric cars under normal driving
Aaim is to challenge claims made by manufacturer about how far you can travel before you need to plug an EV into the mains

Ranges quoted by manufacturers are as per independently verified national/federal test standards. They are intended to mimic "real world" driving but are inevitably an arbitrary (but usefully relative) standard. That you can get a different range in everyday driving is hardly a surprise and no different to the differences in MPG seen with ICE cars.

As much as you want it to be, this is not an indictment of fraud by EV manufacturers. At most it exposes the limitations of the standardised testing, which is the responsibility of governing authorities.

TheBeastie said:
I come across of few of these unhappy Tesla owner photos/stories practically every day on Twitter etc, but this one made me laugh lol..
Massive panel gaps..
He put something in his trunk that protruded through the gap then slammed the trunk. I did that once on an old Chevy Caprice. The trunk looked exactly like that afterwards, and never sealed right after that. (Fortunately it was a 15 year old car, not a brand new one.)
I've had 3 EV's so far. (Leaf, Tesla, Prius Prime.) Every one went about as far as they were rated to go. 70/300/30 miles respectively.

Of course, you can alter that. If you regularly drive at 90mph and floor it to accelerate each time, your range will go way, way down. If I want to get 35 miles out of the Prius I can, by driving carefully. Normally it's not an issue.

I figured Telsa must have about 50 lawsuits from the articles I have seen, apparently, it turns out to be almost 300!
We are approaching 300 $TSLA and Elon Musk lawsuits indexed across numerous courts, with more to go. Introducing Tesla tags, which you can use to view cases by issue.
https://twitter.com/PlainSite/status/1059594523708284928

Most people wouldn't bother suing the beloved Tesla to get back their $5k for "Performance" options mode being giving away as standard right after they paid a premium for it.
But people are trying to email Tesla to get their $5k back to no avail (probably the exception will be if you're famous)
Looks like $TSLA is walking back @elonmusk's promise that they would refund $5,000 to customers who paid for the "Performance" vapourware:

https://twitter.com/ElonBachman/status/1060173681597517825

More on FSD vs government DOJ https://twitter.com/MelaynaLokosky/status/1061068205672693761
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some claim the removal of the Full Self Driving feature/promise is turning the tide for Tesla fans into being negative on customer loyalty, and that its starting to overflow on the official Tesla forums... There are claims there is "mass purging" of the official Tesla forums because of too many unhappy customers.

Whatever they're trying to do to the #Tesla official forum, I don't think this is what they want people to see on the first page.
https://twitter.com/KawasakiKR11/status/1061073077864407040
DrmwQCRVYAEvl8D.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While its only the data for one European country that seems to be updated for the rest of the world to see weekly its still very interesting.
Apparently, the mass takeup of the Jaguar i-Pace in Norway is accelerating other luxury EV makers to put more of their EVs like the Audi Etron on test drive dealership locations and there is now already over 8,000 reservations.
https://trondheim.audi.no/audi-e-tron-vip-visning/

This is the latest November 8th i-Pace vs Tesla registered car chart for Norway to gain an insight into consumer activity, looks like there is plenty of room for the argument that most people who wanted a Tesla have already got one.

DrkAwHPWkAADBkX.jpg

You can see it on a more birds-eye-view with "Year on Year" activity on how the competition is causing a slowdown in comparable activity merely with having the Jaguar iPace option over Tesla.

DrkAhJmW4AA4J6U.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apparently, under the detailed financial Q10 statement that Tesla put out for 3rd quarter, if you extrapolate this kind of price/production modelling cost for the Model3 down from currently selling and delivered 60k m3 model to 50k priced model which is closer to what more people want to pay for, they move from making $145million profit in a quarter to losing $215million per quarter.
https://twitter.com/mndothemath/status/1061241848033894400
DrpIqy4WwAEa-XM.jpg

TheBeastie said:
Whatever they're trying to do to the #Tesla official forum, I don't think this is what they want people to see on the first page.
I just took a look and here's what's on the real first page (i.e. newest posts in the Model 3 forum) -

====================
Flawless Model 3 pick up
Wifi doesn’t work ?
Limiting Charging to Off-Peak Time-Period
The horror of TESLA service (Note - he was being sarcastic; see below.)
Anxiously waiting for my next electricity bill
Got 42.4 while grocery shopping
Do you have a particular license plate for your Model 3 in mind?
Still no navigate on autopilot
If I qualify for home delivery will there be an extra fee for this service? Where do we plug in 6 month supercharging code?
Debating b/t a base LEMR M3 and a used MS
Trade in Tax Credit
Model 3 maintenance
I don't believe the efficiency metrics are accurate
What does your phone app say at the bottom?
Not Getting Stated Range
Key fob is just a key card with buttons!!
My wife unleashed an explosive broccoli fart in my new M3
It's false: Model 3's wind noise is excessive
Charging port lock piece stuck in up position.
What is your WH/Mi under consumption? I'm seeing 420 WH/Mi Avg
Mid Range $45k M3 Waiting Room
=======================
21 threads. 5 negative.

TheBeastie - BUSTED!

(The Horror of TESLA Service post: "Had an appointment for getting a rim replaced today at 9:30. Showed up about 10 minutes early and just felt so rushed since they wanted to take care of me right away. Then the pushy person puts a fob in my hand and I am going WTF I don't want no stinken fob. Person forces a new 75D on me says take it out we'll be done in 45 min. Never in my life have I felt so disrespected, pushing things onto me I did not ask for. I might have to go back to Furd, where I know they know how to do things right. The ripped vinyl seats in the waiting lobby and half a stale donut is real customer service, none of this pushy TESLA crap.")

So what is happening at Freemont these days ?
Again they claim to have demonstrated ability to produce 1000/day M3 units, but actual consistent "run rate"/average output appears to be stuck at <4500/week..and has been for the last few months.
Obviously they still have a few "bottlenecks" in either component supply (battery packs ?) or assembly operations.
Musks last comment was that Body panels are the hold up, .....or is that just another distraction from some other more basic problem.

Hillhater said:
Again they claim to have demonstrated ability to produce 1000/day M3 units, but actual consistent "run rate"/average output appears to be stuck at <4500/week..and has been for the last few months.
Obviously they still have a few "bottlenecks" in either component supply (battery packs ?) or assembly operations.
Musks last comment was that Body panels are the hold up, .....or is that just another distraction from some other more basic problem.

Pretty sure you don't have one on order, so doesn't really matter :)

cricketo said:
Pretty sure you don't have one on order, so doesn't really matter :)
I dont play Football either, but that doesent mean i cannot take an interest in those pro games.
The performance of Tesla should be of interest to anyone who follows the development of the EV industry.
Its not every day there is a major new EV auto company start up, so its an oportunity to be observed.
As a Production Engineer, i have a particular interest in the issues encountered and how they deal with them.

Hillhater said:
I dont play Football either, but that doesent mean i cannot take an interest in those pro games.
True. But if you don't play football, but post regularly and often about how football just doesn't work, your posts might not carry as much weight as someone who does play.

(Of course, this being the Internet, everyone can have an opinion.)

Hillhater said:
Ok ..enough of the gay psyco babble.
Are you one of those people who think "gay" is an insult? Sad that people like that are still around.
I take it you guys know nothing about the state of play at Freemont then ?
Your claim that you know so much more than anyone else about what is happening in Fremont is blunted by your inability to spell it.

Hillhater said:

Actually they are at and above 1000/day....

Whats your next complaint or false accusation?

cricketo said:
Hillhater said:
Arlo1 said:
Actually they are at and above 1000/day....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

https://electrek.co/2018/11/30/tesla-model-3-production-rate-1000-day-maintain-reduce-costs/
There is a key difference between "burst" rate and Production rate.
Electrek’s Take
The ability to maintain new Model 3 production rates after short-term bursts has been a real problem for Tesla.
With a new potential production capacity of 7,000 units per week, it’s also likely going to be a difficulty.

Not only on Tesla’s side, but also for its suppliers who have been burned in the past by the company’s unstable production.

That said, Tesla is now slowing down its ramp up with no clear timeline for when they will achieve the ultimate goal of 10,000 Model 3s per week.

9Sev7X.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back