How to: disable PAS on Bafang BBS02

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
Just did this and it works.. could also apply to BBS01.

1) take off the chainring guard and chainring.
2) unbolt the controller ( 3 bolts )
3) find 4 pin connector ( to the left )
4) unplug connector
5) remove the grey wire from the female side of the connector by pushing the pin that locks it into place with a small screwdriver and tugging on the wire. Cap the wire off with electrical tape or however you wish to do it.
6) plug connector back in and reinstall all parts.
7) enjoy!

Important note: if you free-spin the motor without any load for ~3 seconds, you will get an 'error 21' on the screen. This is not because you just did the modification. The bafang just complains about not having any load on it.

You can also do this with the programming by setting one of your PAS levels to 100% Current, 1% Limit Speed.
But you need a programming cable of course. :)

Any pictures?

Go through the hassle of making a programming cable, or snip a wire.. you can do it either way :)

I consider these BBS02 controllers to be throwaways. The reason i took this avenue was because i fully plan on ripping out the controller. We have seen numerous 6fet controller failures, and now the 9fet controller failures are starting to come about, and i honestly do not see it worth the effort and cost to make a programming cable.

So while i was waiting for my external controller to come in, snipping the cable has given me a solution for now ( rather than just continuing to chew up my sprockets and chain )

This is a great share. Thanks Nep'

Has anyone used this with a cutoff switch for gear changing?

Will this stop the controller from limiting power at high cadences?
My BBS01 will start to limit power to the motor once you start to go higher then 90+ RPM.

snowranger said:
Has anyone used this with a cutoff switch for gear changing?
Backpedal just a bit or tap the brake with sensor for the same cutoff effect. The devices are gimmicks IMO and IME.

I can confirm that it´s OK to just separate the black connector to disable PAS, no need to cut the gray wire, at least on my BBS01B made 2018-06-20. Did it today and now my new motor and bike works perfect, tried PAS for a week but couldn´t stand it, newer activated PAS on my older hubmotors.

Gear change sensor didn't exist yet / was still a fantasy.
Hated the PAS delays during start and stop and didn't like the drive enough to buy a programming cable for it to tune that out.
Hated the magnetic pole system on the PAS because it doesn't sense pedal torque, just speed.

Back