Dr. Greger explains the cause of insulin resistance, p 17 and explains how to reverse heart failure pg 17

Matt Gruber said:
I'm happy to eat olives, for example, but won't touch olive oil.

Weird. It's one of the oldest, most proven foods for humans. So good that it disproves the assertions of folks who say fat is bad for you. Population-wide data don't lie.

Well, it's a free country, you can believe what you want. :D

markz said:
Olive oil and balsamic vinegar is delish!

Not able to get real olive oil around here- There are no olive trees. I don't think i have ever had real(fresh pressed) olive oil, so i don't know what it tastes like. I have read that it is delicious. Once, maybe 20 years ago i bought a gallon of something labeled as olive oil. it was $6.99
Vinegar is said to reduce glucose, but i don't like the taste.
As to why i am avoiding oil, i am trying to become more sensitive to insulin. Oil or fat is said to clog up cells and cause resistance to insulin, so for me, i am testing this theory. Never really liked the taste of oil or fat, so i am not missing anything by avoiding it. I had been duped into using canola oil, for years i'd add it to food just to get the health benefits, BUT it was a lie, there are no health benefits, unless someone is starving, then it can save your life. Nobody is starving around here, and there is no need to store fat for the long winter.

neptronix said:
Well, it's a free country, you can believe what you want. :D

I'd say i'm in the testing stage. Willing to test out various theories and see if they improve my health. Eggs and fat did not help, and since animal fat contains toxins, eggs choline, i was glad to get rid of them.
Here Consumer Reports exposes the tainted meat food chain: This is serious contamination :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgTkzoCd7Sc

Benefits of blueberries for artery function:
Clinical research:
Summary by Dr Greger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7rRvZGYhWw

Matt Gruber said:
Oil or fat is said

Good point but it all hinges on who said it because in the "Whats Healthy For You" and diet category points are made across the spectrum good and bad. I like to pay attention to respected fields of study like doctors then self proclaimed "experts" with no respected field of study in their doctor path. We have all seen those type of people, pushing their diet book. Kevin Trudeau was the worst offender with his book The Weight Loss Cure "They" Don't Want You to Know About. That is why recently I have taken a liking to Dr. Rhonda Patrick on The Joe Rogan Experience. I was paying close attention to her ;) but also on her explanation of Time Restricted Dieting among other aspects of dieting that she mentions.

I have cut out milk and chocolate milk just about completely from my diet. Though I must admit I did have a glass or two last night, and a week or two ago I drank the milk from the cereal. Carbs like bread I have reduced, along with pasta, cereal...

Matt Gruber said:
Benefits of blueberries for artery function:
Clinical research:
Summary by Dr Greger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7rRvZGYhWw

Dr. Greger is a hardcore vegan that is well known to cherry pick and misrepresent research for his own agenda. Proceed with caution, because you are getting a highly biased view from him.
Nonetheless i watched the video and did not see any part where he shows that consuming carbohydrates reduces blood sugar.

I'd still like to see that paper :mrgreen:

Matt Gruber said:
I'd say i'm in the testing stage. Willing to test out various theories and see if they improve my health. Eggs and fat did not help, and since animal fat contains toxins, eggs choline, i was glad to get rid of them.
Here Consumer Reports exposes the tainted meat food chain: This is serious contamination :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgTkzoCd7Sc

All our industrial food is contaminated by our efficiency in production processes. Wait till you find out what's in vegetables you pick up at the supermarket. Even organic is not safe due to the pesticides, fungicides, and other chemicals now being ever present pollutants in our environment.
Anyway, i'm going to have to agree to disagree with you on this stuff and leave you to your own experiments.

But let me leave you with this, since you are ultimately on the hunt for a natural cure.

Read research papers. Not abstracts of papers. Not opinions on papers. Read the whole thing. Learn the terminology used and how to decipher methodology.
I have been studying diet for about a decade and about half of the papers i have read ( especially back when i was a vegan ) have had the study parameters designed to support a predetermined conclusion. The devil is in the details with food and diet research, and there are hundreds of groups trying to manipulate public opinion by using garbage science.. and that has been going on for decades.

The most guilty group of all is the vegans .. and actually i have found that the pro carnivore people are starting to stretch things ( but at least they admit they were wrong when they are called out ).

So on your hunt for health, remain skeptical and stay far, far, far away from anyone who tells you they have all the answers. There are far more people outright lying about things as basic as how human biology works to an unknowing public.

Good luck on your quest.

Nep
your knowledge was reflected in the video you posted.
That cookbook from 1895 was written by a struggling dairy farmer hoping to sell more butter by showing all the ways to cook with butter. It is as simple as that.
That lady spent 20 minutes talking about a cookbook, like it was her bible! She said it showed what people ate in 1895. NO IT DID NOT. It was a sales book to sell butter. Of course i "walked out". Just another deceptive promotion video. I grew up on a farm in the 1960's. I know what people ate because I WAS THERE. Never saw butter, but my mom used crisco trans fat! :lol: Never had any meals like in that fantasy cookbook. :cry:
Good idea to agree to disagree. 8) :lol:

Man, you are rude. Spitting in my face over a video i sent because you picked up on an anecdote about old cooking books and you missed the entire point of the video because you didn't watch it.

I had a feeling i was wasting my time trying to be helpful.
Adios.

blueberries?

Yea I say blueberries are good based on what I know about God. God make humans and he intended them to wander around all day and look for stuff to eat. Nuts, berry's, fruit, bugs? Never tried bugs but I like blueberries. Look for the colorful sweet stuff. That's why God made poison plants taste bad.

So eat colorful vegetables.

This idea of working all day for money so we can buy food is not healthy. Better for health to walk around and look for stuff to eat.

markz said:
Matt Gruber said:
Oil or fat is said

Good point but it all hinges on who said it because in the "Whats Healthy For You" and diet category points are made across the spectrum good and bad. I like to pay attention to respected fields of study like doctors then self proclaimed "experts" with no respected field of study in their doctor path. We have all seen those type of people, pushing their diet book. Kevin Trudeau was the worst offender with his book The Weight Loss Cure "They" Don't Want You to Know About. That is why recently I have taken a liking to Dr. Rhonda Patrick on The Joe Rogan Experience. I was paying close attention to her ;) but also on her explanation of Time Restricted Dieting among other aspects of dieting that she mentions.
The way i boil it down, is to look at my cost to try something different. Take Dr. Gregers advice. He is not trying to sell you anything, gives the funding source of the study, and will take Q's on the phone for free.
Take my previous "egg" and fat diet. Got the eggs on sale $1/dozen. Got ground beef for $1.99. So, not expensive to give it a try for about 5 weeks, did not like the greasy food, and when my thyroid hyper came back, that was the end of it.
The idea that insulin resistance is caused by fat/oil clogging muscle cells, well, i really did not make note of where i read this, but, i saw it over and over again and it seems plausible. My cost to try out a low fat diet is about zero, as meat, chicken, fish, pork, ..........they cost about the same or more, as fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, so why do i need to be sure the source is a world expert? I'm just trying to find out if it works for me, and even if it still takes the usual 18-24 months for my thyroid to heal......... at least i passed the time trying new things. So i figure i can't lose, since i've probably learned or will learn, how to avoid heart disease, etc, in the process. 8)

I believe WE have to become the experts on what WE ingest into our bodies.
Its great to try different avenue's for success.
For myself, I "try" to eat in a common sense way. This morning I had 3 eggs and a whole potato grated with a normal sized slice of Kraft cheese and drank some soda water, common sense, but the downfall was I also had 2 mini cinnamon buns because they were eyeballing me hard and I just did not have enough will power to overcome the seduction. I will probably go out to Subway and have a 6" ham with cheddar. During the day I am good, night time rolls in and I am back to my old bad eating habits. Also there were two sets of banana's that are going black, so WE all have good intentions, no doubt about that. Plus we all have great plans. Its the follow through that lacks.

mark
What do your tests say? Blood pressure normal like mine? 122/70? .....weight normal?
Fasting glucose normal? 80-99? Mine was 115 which is a red flag. This plus my hyper thyroid is why i changed what i eat.
If your not taking any drugs, have normal weight and BP, no health problems,.......... enjoy!

tomjasz said:
Interesting. Eating potatoes and a starch diet devoid of meat, dairy, and NO added fat or processed sugars, turned my health and weight around. Forks Over Knives and the McDougall Diet.

kudos again to tomjazz for finding successful experts that teach you how to reverse T2 diabetes, heart disease, etc
Also Dr's Ornish, Greger, Esslyington, Fuhrman, have all saved lives with their research and whole plant food eating plan, that i basically now follow. (at least 2 months)

Matt Gruber said:
tomjasz said:
Interesting. Eating potatoes and a starch diet devoid of meat, dairy, and NO added fat or processed sugars, turned my health and weight around. Forks Over Knives and the McDougall Diet.

kudos again to tomjazz for finding successful experts that teach you how to reverse T2 diabetes, heart disease, etc
Also Dr's Ornish, Greger, Esslyington, Fuhrman, have all saved lives with their research and whole plant food eating plan, that i basically now follow. (at least 2 months)

Taters are good food (proven). Bread is good food (proven longer by more people). Meat is good food (proven for longer than anybody can determine). Fruit is good food (primordial).

It's a first world luxury to fret and fuss about your diet. We know from observation that people can live long and well on all kinds of feedstocks. Folks in Tibet, Colombia, Turkey and elsewhere lived beyond 100 before modern medicine. Did they eat the same things? Not a chance.

Eat real food that you like, and you'll be fine. Or fret and fuss about it, if it pleases you; you might not be fine but you'll be pleased.

I just listened to this video, no need to watch, i just played it in the background.
Has brief interviews with many of the Dr's i like. Can stop anytime and go back later (long).
Good to have a pep talk, as many don't get it yet. most don't eat healthy (yet).
One explains what healthy blood tests look like, that gives you the facts.(so you can compare), like cholesterol of 70-170, for example. 70? yes, that is not a misprint!
If you like any one very much, google his/her name and watch more details.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJtCs-KWBo8

Hehe... ESB "Search found 1 match: wine" (in this thread, so far...) but not Blueberry Wine? :wink:

[youtube]td-G-iUWJrE[/youtube]

Interesting video from a woman that ate too much fruit! Gained 12 lbs. Tryglycerides shot way up.
Shows how easy it is to try to eat healthy, and get the opposite results :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vor1pCRB7GI

Fruit is mostly sugar.
Insulin's job is to turn sugar into fat because high blood sugar is a crisis to the body that damages blood vessels to the point where organs and the outer parts of limbs go necrotic.
You will see that a majority of type 2 diabetics are overweight. These are the ones which use insulin as a means of controlling the negative effects of ingesting what's poisonous to their bodies.

Once the body can no longer respond to the signal of insulin, you end up on a diet like mine.. or shooting insulin, taking pills, and dying slowly of the disease. A type 2 diabetic can become completely asymptomatic by simply not consuming >30g of carbohydrate a day. Side benefit is that no medication is required anymore.

I could not control my consumption of carbohydrates.. they are like a drug to me. That was probably responsible for developing type 2 diabetes. People who shoot steroids have the effective dosage climb as the body loses sensitivity to the hormone. The same thing happens with insulin when you consume an almost all carbohydrate diet like we did.

We were both vegans and severely overweight 5 years ago.. i had constant chest pains, depression, brain fog, and low T. She had no energy and her hormones were borked too. Didn't work for us. We've collectively lost 250lbs since going our own way.

One food that keeps coming up as unhealthy is MILK. Anything made with milk. BAD for humans (but good for baby cows).
Here in 5 minutes, Dr. Greger explains how milk ruins tea, with proof.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KGv1J0qt4
The big surprise is that i don't miss it at all. (it has been several months since ii eliminated all dairy products)
I'd say that knowing how bad a food is, makes it much easier to avoid. Ice cream was a favorite food. Was the last to go, now fruit is a favorite. Fresh pineapple, for example.

You've replaced dairy with sugar, is that good? Yes it's natural pineapple fructose but, is it a naturally ocurring abundance healthy for your heritage?

Skin type?
Blood type?
Dietary history?

Cows have been domesticated longer than you think. You tell me. How long since man first drank cow milk?

Back