Wind and Solar vs Coal, Gasoline, Nuclear

Punx0r said:
It is wonderfully circular to argue solar is no good because it can't offset a late-evening demand peak, when the reason that peak occurs is because solar has offset the previous, larger mid-late afternoon demand peak.
Yep. And when storage starts offsetting that late afternoon peak, detractors will argue "solar and storage can do NOTHING for the demand at midnight when people charge their EV's! Solar is USELESS!"

Punx0r said:
It is wonderfully circular to argue solar is no good because it can't offset a late-evening demand peak, when the reason that peak occurs is because solar has offset the previous, larger mid-late afternoon demand peak.

+1

You can't really argue with "flatearthers" :lol:

billvon said:
Yep. And when storage starts offsetting that late afternoon peak, detractors will argue "solar and storage can do NOTHING for the demand at midnight when people charge their EV's! Solar is USELESS!"

+1

:lol:

billvon said:
Punx0r said:
What type of storage is going to offsett a 800 GW peak demand for 2-4 hrs ? :roll:

Punx0r said:
No, Solar is not the reason for the pm peak !... There has always been a "late afternoon" peak ...4-8pm , .
Solar has simply made it more apparent by reducing the daytime demand on the grid.
.. But either way,..you still have to supply that pm demand...and solar cannot do it !
Typical time / demand "curve ..CA.
UuNfxr.png

Hillhater said:
25 real GW per year of solar doesnt look to impressive compared to the 90 GW (780 TWh) of increase in electricity demand in 2017 !
..and you just know what is generating the other 65GW ??..... mostly fossils :shock:

Unfortunately Despite our best efforts, Solar and Wind build out is not even keeping up with growth. And this is just considering total electricity. Which is only a small fraction of world total primary energy consumption. On a chart of total energy, solar and wind is barely visible at 3%. We still get twice as much energy from burning sticks for heat and cooking. The real solution is to figure out how we can enter a de-growth economy that is content with much lower energy demands.

"The kingdom is considering building 17.6 gigawatts (GW) of nuclear capacity by 2032, the equivalent of about 17 reactors, making it one of the biggest projects globally.

According to Reuters news agency, Saudi Arabia is aiming to reduce the amount of crude it burns at home to generate electricity to allow it to sell more of it overseas.

If the kingdom proceeds with the plan, it would become the second Gulf Arab state to launch a nuclear power project after the United Arab Emirates, which is building four South Korea-designed reactors"
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/11/bin-salman-launches-saudi-arabia-nuclear-plant-project-181105192827938.html

sendler2112 said:
"The kingdom is considering building 17.6 gigawatts (GW) of nuclear capacity by 2032, the equivalent of about 17 reactors, making it one of the biggest projects globally."
It will be interesting to see which reactor design they choose. It could save the AP1000 if they choose to go that way. They will have a lot of challenges in terms of dissipating all that heat, unless they build close to the ocean.

cricketo said:
Hillhater said:
Typical time / demand "curve ..CA.

California 1999, for full picture :
Confirming the fact that the "peak" is still 4-6+ pm, ...
But why do you suggest 1999 gives a better picture of CA electricity use ?.
What we really need to see is the picture for 2029+

https://electrek.co/2018/11/05/tesla-shared-powerbank/

“At a cost of $1 per day, each customer participating in the 24-month trial will be able to virtually store up to eight kWh of excess power generated during the day from their solar PV systems in the battery. They will then be able to draw electricity back from the PowerBank during peak time without having to outlay upfront costs for a behind the meter battery storage system.”

It adds up to $0.125 per kWh stored, with the state average cost of electricity per kWh being $0.283.

So, a virtual private battery?
Battry storage in general are not economical for a grid, unless there is over-generation. But if there is, then growth of PV is less of an issue with these babies :lowbatt: :bolt:

Hillhater said:
Confirming the fact that the "peak" is still 4-6+ pm, ...

You have an Internet equivalent of what's called "selective hearing." :)
Btw, California added another 6-7 million people since 1999.

cricketo said:
Hillhater said:
Confirming the fact that the "peak" is still 4-6+ pm, ...u

You have an Internet equivalent of what's called "selective hearing." :)
Btw, California added another 6-7 million people since 1999.
And dramaticaly changed its demand curve !
...so why bother refering to it ?

billvon said:
sendler2112 said:
"The kingdom is considering building 17.6 gigawatts (GW) of nuclear capacity by 2032, the equivalent of about 17 reactors, making it one of the biggest projects globally."
It will be interesting to see which reactor design they choose. It could save the AP1000 if they choose to go that way. They will have a lot of challenges in terms of dissipating all that heat, unless they build close to the ocean.

It looks like Barakah is the only plant under construction in the UAE and it uses APR1400 reactors.

Hillhater said:
And dramaticaly changed its demand curve !
...so why bother refering to it ?

Well, I was hoping you'd see your mistake interpreting the data, but I guess nothing can change that :)

Slow progress from Moltex.
London, 13th July 2018

Just weeks after its success in being selected as a winner in the UK government’s Advanced Modular Reactors competition, Moltex is delighted to announce that it has also been selected by New Brunswick Energy Solutions Corporation and New Brunswick Power to progress development of its SSR-W (Stable Salt Reactor - Wasteburner) technology in New Brunswick, with the aim of deploying its first SSR-W at the Point Lepreau nuclear reactor site before 2030.
http://www.moltexenergy.com/news/details.aspx?positionId=106
And Thorcon
DOE awards $400,000 for R&D with Argonne
ThorCon US has been awarded $400,000 for cost-shared research and development for advanced nuclear technologies, U.S. Secretary of Energy Rick Perry announced.
ThorCon US is developing a thermal thorium/uranium molten salt fueled ThorConIsle fission power plant. The approach uses shipyard production to build a complete 500 MWe power plant which is towed to a site and ballasted to the sea bottom. The plant will generate electric power cheaper than coal, after completing testing which begins in 2023.
http://thorconpower.com/doe-awards-400000-for-rd-with-argonne

Punx0r said:
It looks like Barakah is the only plant under construction in the UAE and it uses APR1400 reactors.
Disappointing. I'd hoped to see more inherently safe reactors developed.

Unfortunately water cooled reactor cores and pumped cooling ponds need to be superceded with something that is indefinitely passive and walk away safe. There is not enough social investment yet in these new molten salt cooled reactors. The Moltex design shows that you can still have a trackable fuel rod type core along with a passive emergency cooling/ low core pressure, salt coolant. Using a simplified reprocessing of high level waste for fuel economically.

sendler2112 said:
Unfortunately water cooled reactor cores and pumped cooling ponds need to be superceded with something that is indefinitely passive and walk away safe.
There are several LWR designs that are passively safe; decay heat is taken care of by natural convection with no intervention. The AP1000 comes close. The passive cooling system starts automatically without operator intervention. After that the one task is to keep refilling the (exterior) water pond.

The APR1400 is a more conventional design, and requires pumps to be powered for months after the core is shut down.

My October utility bill just arrived, and I cracked 5 digits in credits, 10,273 KWH's in the bank. November is typically when my production falls behind my consumption. So all winter I will use up part of my credits, and part of this will be coal fired Wyoming coal, as my utilities hydro output also drops off a bit. I don't lose any sleep how this pencils out, the partial winter time coal versus the other 9 months of wind, PV and micro hydro, all I know is it works for me. I do know I don't dread the utilities bill when it arrives in the mail, instead, I look forward to it.

craneplaneguy said:
My October utility bill just arrived, and I cracked 5 digits in credits, 10,273 KWH's in the bank. November is typically when my production falls behind my consumption. So all winter I will use up part of my credits, and part of this will be coal fired Wyoming coal, as my utilities hydro output also drops off a bit. I don't lose any sleep how this pencils out, the partial winter time coal versus the other 9 months of wind, PV and micro hydro, all I know is it works for me. I do know I don't dread the utilities bill when it arrives in the mail, instead, I look forward to it.

How does micro hydro work out at your place ? I was looking into it in Oregon, the amount of red tape is ridiculous - I can build a 600W high head system for just about $500, but to get the permit there is $500 initial filing, then $500 upon approval. Then also annual fees based on theoretical HPs, but 10HP min (600W = 0.8HP).

craneplaneguy said:
My October utility bill just arrived, and I cracked 5 digits in credits, 10,273 KWH's in the bank. November is typically when my production falls behind my consumption.
Yep. Around this time of year production starts lagging behind generation. This month we are averaging 3kwhr a day net usage, including charging both cars. We are still up about 300kwhr.

Back