Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

3DTOPO said:
I'm pretty sure that if you ride the Sur-Ron on any public streets in the US you will still need "moped" insurance (and possibly plates depending on the state), and a motorcycle endorsement in some states.

Correct.

In California, you only need a regular driver's license, plates and insurance. My insurance was $79/year.

skeetab5780 said:
Im not sure i can relate to the homolgation costing more since that does not really matter here in the states. Fetcher and other members are street commuting with the regular sur-ron with very few mods(lights blinkers and mirrors) you dont even need a license plate holder because mopeds just get a sticker around here. With that being said maybe things are more strict on the other side of the world, but to make the vehicles price double? Now thats ridiculous

I guess you can blame tariffs too but where do you draw the line? For me its not ever buying one of these bikes. I just sit back and watch

And the Zero comparison is based strictly on price ofc. I myself shy away from the Zero because you need actual insurance and plates since its an actual motorcycle

the homolgated version has a world wide recognized VIN # often needed for DMV registration as well as street legal equipment and moped power limited (yet easily redistricted), a turn key street legal bike no mods or extra parts needed.. but without a VIN, (I) would need to apply for that, including vehicle inspection by state law enforcement and proof that the vehicle meets legal power restrictions (maybe easier said than done).. I look forward to luna selling the homolgated version as well for that option.. because I would be hesitant to spend $3K+ on a bike that may not be (easily) street legal in my state (I'm going through this process on my motoped builds)..

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
the homolgated version has a world wide recognized VIN # often needed for DMV registration as well as street legal equipment and moped power limited (yet easily redistricted), a turn key street legal bike no mods or extra parts needed.. but without a VIN, (I) would need to apply for that, including vehicle inspection by state law enforcement and proof that the vehicle meets legal power restrictions (maybe easier said than done).. I look forward to luna selling the homolgated version as well for that option.. because I would be hesitant to spend $3K+ on a bike that may not be (easily) street legal in my state (I'm going through this process on my motoped builds)..

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but it is not correct, at least not when running at less than 30mph.

In California, the serial number stamped on the frame is accepted in lieu of a VIN for moped registration. In Idaho, it doesn't even need to be registered since it is considered a moped (they do not require pedals for the moped definition).

3DTOPO said:

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but it is not correct, at least not when running at less than 30mph.

In California, the serial number stamped on the frame is accepted in lieu of a VIN for moped registration. In Idaho, it doesn't even need to be registered since it is considered a moped (they do not require pedals for the moped definition).

which part do you contest and on what basis?? I'm referring to my state moped requirements not CA or Idaho..

3DTOPO said:

which part do you contest and on what basis?? I'm referring to my state moped requirements not CA or Idaho..

You didn't specify a state, just said that a VIN was required which made it sound like a VIN was needed everywhere in the US. What state are you referring to?

Anyhow, sorry for the misunderstanding.

3DTOPO said:
3DTOPO said:

You didn't specify a state, just said that a VIN was required which made it sound like a VIN was needed everywhere in the US. What state are you referring to?

Anyhow, sorry for the misunderstanding.

you may need reading glasses, because I wrote "often needed" not required;) .. CA has very lax moped laws (double the horsepower allowed by most other states).. in my state Sur-Ron is a motorcycle not a moped (unless homolgated as such like LB L1e ) .. also many ppl on the fb owners group have had difficulties registering surron, even ppl in CA being denied registration or asked for proof of compliance..

you may need reading glasses, because I wrote "often needed" not required;) .. CA has very lax moped laws (double the horsepower allowed by most other states).. in my state Sur-Ron is a motorcycle not a moped (unless homolgated as such like LB L1e ) .. also many ppl on the fb owners group have had difficulties registering surron, even ppl in CA being denied registration or asked for proof of compliance..

Had you written a bit more clearly, like: "In the state where I live the DMV requires a VIN", I would not have misunderstood. :wink:

What state do you live in?

Curious that people have been able to register them in CA, and some people haven't. Makes me think some people aren't filling out the form properly or are not using the correct form?

3DTOPO said:

Had you written a bit more clearly, like: "In the state where I live the DMV requires a VIN", I would not have misunderstood. :wink:

What state do you live in?

Curious that people have been able to register them in CA, and some people haven't. Makes me think some people aren't filling out the form properly or are not using the correct form?

VIN number just makes registration easier and more likely to be approved, in many states.. ppl were following the example of those that were already approved but not getting the same results, having to contest the denial and resubmit .. also those approved maybe stretching the truth a bit on their application, since the stock bike has a bit more power and speed capability than technically compliant (45mph, 6hp)..

It looks like the homologated version comes with a nifty odometer. It adds battery meter (would be awesome because then I could put a saddle bag on top of the battery). It also looks like it allows the gear ratio to be adjusted?

Can one of you dealers order this so I can buy one?

surron-od1.png

surron-od2.png

I got a price for the X Model from Alibaba. It is $2,850 FOB.

From China to Portland is about $280. I would then be responsible for import duties/tariffs and delivery from Portland to where I live.

So if we assume $500 for tariffs that would be $3,630 plus shipping from Portland to here which would be at least $200 I would guess.

So that puts it right at the same cost Luna sells the regular version. But since the X Model is only $150 more than the standard version - I think that it shows that Luna is offering a fair price on it, and really hard to beat (especially because they are in stock). Transit time is estimated 32 days to port.

It would cost slightly less considering Luna's $3,850 tag doesn't include shipping and it would be the X Model, so good to know that (1) we can even order the X Model in the US, and (2) it can be had for a bit less than ordering through Luna.

I will definitely wait with a potential purchase.
There are too many unknown updates on the bikes, even the vendors i contacted really dont know what theyre getting delivered, i had the feeling i know more than them.
Also it looks like this exclusive vendor discussion was fake, it looks more like that also little vendors import them, at least here in germany.
Good for us.

The new display looks great........

I have heard good n bad things about luna. But if you want the surron to survive I'd support them, and buy directly from them. Pay the bit extra. You've got support on home soil.

Let's all stop falling down the cheapest wishing well, it's counter productive.

StuRat said:
I have heard good n bad things about luna. But if you want the surron to survive I'd support them, and buy directly from them. Pay the bit extra. You've got support on home soil.

Let's all stop falling down the cheapest wishing well, it's counter productive.

I haven't fallen down the cheapest wishing well. Several people on here have suggested that Luna is ripping people off. By finding out what they cost to get direct, I think my post disproves that. Also, some people don't want to order anything but the X Model. The fact that you can order it now, is not a bad thing.

Luna has let me down every chance they've had to make me happy - other than I love the bike I ordered from them, and I still stick up for them.

Yeah fair call, sorry, I want a surron, just sayin as a planet we should focus on not redesigning the wheel.

Losing luna as the US distribution will hurt the US market. A new US distributor won't bring prices down.

Here are pictures of our EU version

View attachment 8

View attachment 7

camphoto_341603450_Fotor.jpg
EU version display, you can see the voltage so always a plus.
View attachment 5
A bit bulky but big is good during winter season
IMG_5289_Fotor.jpg
Fork lockout
IMG_5290_Fotor.jpg
Different brake levers
View attachment 2

Why cant this be standard on all MTB fork? Easy to mount a fender on those 3 screws!
View attachment 1
Motard rear tyre is quite wider than stock off road, looks good!
IMG_5287_Fotor.jpg

3DTOPO said:
bionicon said:
Maybe buy it direct here :https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2018-New-Electric-Dirt-Bike-Electric_60768736533.html?spm=a2700.8443308.0.0.403a3e5ffpA61j

Interesting, thanks for the link. They have the X Model listed here:
https://jiesute.en.alibaba.com/prod...pm=a2700.icbuShop.prewdfa4cf.8.1c892e79Dgzyzc

I am going to inquire how much it is delivered to the US.

Be aware of alibaba. If Alibaba didn't recently change their policies alibaba does not provide any help if you are scammed. Certain products does have a tendencies to show up only on Alibaba, if that platform makes it easier for scammers that would make sense.

If you shop on ebay and things goes wrong ebay will help you and if they can't they will refund. Not so with alibaba. Or at least it has been that way. If I am wrong and they have changed their ways let me know.

3DTOPO said:
I got a price for the X Model from Alibaba. It is $2,850 FOB.

From China to Portland is about $280. I would then be responsible for import duties/tariffs and delivery from Portland to where I live.

So if we assume $500 for tariffs that would be $3,630 plus shipping from Portland to here which would be at least $200 I would guess.

So that puts it right at the same cost Luna sells the regular version. But since the X Model is only $150 more than the standard version - I think that it shows that Luna is offering a fair price on it, and really hard to beat (especially because they are in stock). Transit time is estimated 32 days to port.

It would cost slightly less considering Luna's $3,850 tag doesn't include shipping and it would be the X Model, so good to know that (1) we can even order the X Model in the US, and (2) it can be had for a bit less than ordering through Luna.

But why? You get the x-controller and might save 1-200 $. But what do you do if there is a warranty issue? I tell you, you are out of luck and the initial savings are gone out the window. Best case you are able to contact seller and the seller admits to being responsible for replacement. So you ship out you damaged part out of pocket, and get your new part which you also need to pay shipment for. Worst case, seller ignores you or tell you to fcuk off. Then what?

For that amount of money I would say it makes sense to support you local dealer. Luna can only keep their Sur Ron deal if the sell enough to make money. If every other potential buyer will do their own side import, well in that case you might soon be without a US dealer. People buying this bike likely will use it for what, at least 5-6 years. It will be great for you guys to be able to source parts locally, from a shop that keep inventory. Rather then risk 6 weeks delivery from China.

Does the X-model have the same battery?
Because i tought i have read somewhere that it is better.

Back