Your Creation's Before & After Pics

SM, you might consider these as well. Sure there are more that I didn't think of. But these are all great builds, especially when you look at the time of building. Not many e-bikes like these back then.

Specialized Big Hit FSR with midmount
P1000083-1.jpg

Or one of the first trellis frame bikes posted here, the black UK build with a powerful mid motor? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55592
file.php

Or the red Intense build by Timma?
file.php

Samd also had a few great stealth bikes he build. Super light alloy build.

11024166_345617925642829_1405221953_n_large.jpg

This is my little Trek 6500 before and after 60v 18amp battery powering a 2000w rear wheel shockworks forks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 8,013
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 8,014
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 8,014
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 8,014
macribs said:
SM, you might consider these as well. Sure there are more that I didn't think of. But these are all great builds, especially when you look at the time of building. Not many e-bikes like these back then.

Specialized Big Hit FSR with midmount
P1000083-1.jpg

Or one of the first trellis frame bikes posted here, the black UK build with a powerful mid motor? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55592
file.php

Or the red Intense build by Timma?
file.php

Samd also had a few great stealth bikes he build. Super light alloy build.

11024166_345617925642829_1405221953_n_large.jpg

Beg your pardon.....

https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23143

[youtube]4SXujNh2RW8[/youtube]

Beg your pardon.....

?? I nice build you did for sure, and your build could easily be a feature bike too, but I don't think I said anything wrong about the ones I mentioned? The black uk bike was mid drive. So that one stands out on its own merits. Not a lot of mid drives back then with this kind of power. The lack of pedals put it more into motorcycle territory but still a really nice build.

Edited: Ahh I saw it now. You did your in 2010 and the black uk was from 2013.

no worries, just wanted to confirm there are pearls out there that the later generations really have to dig back in the archives to find. That was a two year build!

SM didnt interview all the OG builders....

cheers,

Len

It is really amazing the amount of craftsmanship on this forum. There have been so many nice builds here over the years. All kinds of bikes, trikes and scooters. And a lot of builders have really gone the extra mile to make sure every last details got the needed attention. It is truly an amazing and inspiring forum, and the past 10 years have really shown us great solutions, workarounds and problem solving.

Hey, Lenk. Your build definitely deserves it's own article. I'll consider this permission, and I'll get right on it!

I am surprised that I forgot to add Simons Specialized to that index, since I already wrote about it (he has now been added to that index).

https://www.electricbike.com/specialized-super-charged/

As to the others, I may still write about them, but I only have so much time to write, since I am still working full time and I have a family. I have a long list of "possible" ebike subjects, and what normally happens is that something becomes popular, so it gets pushed to the front of the line.

I apologize if anyone who's built a great ebike feels I have ignored them. One issue for me is sometimes the only good picture of a great custom build is the finished product, which makes for a very short article. If someone has good pictures of the entire build-up, that increases the chances of it being in feature. If the build has something unusual about it that is educational to the readers, that would also increase the chances.

Sometimes I find candidates on youtube or facebook. Sometimes people who have not posted their ebike anywhere have contacted me by email. Tom in the UK (youtube) didn't know endless-sphere existed, and I recently wrote about his RC drive. That build by itself is not exceptional, but he 3D-printed the mount, and also used a new VESC from the skateboard world, which has improved features, compared to what many of us used six years ago. And since he had a lot of build pics, he went to the front of the line.

hey SM, me and a friend recently did a dual hub drive q100h scott ransom 10 carbon using anguism 8p modules. would be good to get a review on it. I will get some photos and try to get my friend to post the details in a thread

HestonBluemetal said:
Dont take this the wrong way, but aesthetics are not this forums strong point huh?

I only really care if it drives good or not. If it rides fine and the weird noises aren't serious then it's all good.

spinningmagnets said:
Aesthetics? There are pearls among the oysters, but you have to dig for them. I have asked permission from the builders to feature them, and here is an index, 90% found on ES

https://www.electricbike.com/custom-builds-index/ :arrow:

Oh man! I really missed some of those builds. There are awesome bike among them. Thanks for posting the list. Btw: I may send you an updated pic of my bike 8)

Before
View attachment 1

After
2_stan_electra_townie_after_ebike_kit.jpg

Amazon: Bafang 500W rear hub kit

As shown:
- 26"
- DP C18 Display
- Cassette

Amazon: 48v 13Ah battery

I recently converted my Electra Townie to an e-bike. The mid-drive conversions are very popular but I wanted to share a rear-hub option. This 500W kit from Amazon has exceeded expectations.

I have an upgraded 1x8 drive train: Shimano HG31 8-speed 11-32t cassette and Absolute Black 38T narrow-wide chain ring. Even before going electric, it's been great for flats and hills alike. As a rear-hub conversion, this setup allowed me to maintain the dynamics of the drive train while adding electric boost. The bike continues to be well balanced, now flattens hills, and cruises near 30 mph at the highest PAS.

Honda Cub with Sur Ron like drive train. Golden Motor 3000B. ASI 2000W controller. 60v 32ah battery. second build will be converted alternator and used 18650 from lap tops and power tools. This is for food delivery drivers like Uber Eats.

ebikeguy123 said:
Honda Cub with Sur Ron like drive train. Golden Motor 3000B. ASI 2000W controller. 60v 32ah battery. second build will be converted alternator and used 18650 from lap tops and power tools. This is for food delivery drivers like Uber Eats.

Nice..! Underbone mopeds like this are very popular in South East Asia. How much power can the alternator produce?

armandd said:
ebikeguy123 said:

Nice..! Underbone mopeds like this are very popular in South East Asia. How much power can the alternator produce?

Depending on the alternator.. 2 to 10.5 kW. 80kmh with 100km range with 2 kW 60v 32ah battery. Ive used a Sur Ron firefly donor to do proof of concept. Basically making a kit for Honda Cubs that performs like a Sur Ron with mid motor but with referbished materials. A $500 200cc gas motorbike electric equivalent.

Attachments

• 1939_1548288353443.jpeg
    1939_1548288353443.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 6,746
  • 1932_1547946367258.jpeg
    1932_1547946367258.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 6,746
ebikeguy123 said:
armandd said:
ebikeguy123 said:

Depending on the alternator.. 2 to 10.5 kW. 80kmh with 100km range with 2 kW 60v 32ah battery. Ive used a Sur Ron firefly donor to do proof of concept. Basically making a kit for Honda Cubs that performs like a Sur Ron with mid motor but with refurbished materials. A $500 200cc gas motorbike electric equivalent.

We sell the bracket and kit if your interested. We rent them to food delivery drivers and deliver batteries to them on demand so they dont need to wait for charging or buy a second battery.

I've been wanting to do this for a few years since I saw the mid drive kits but I just got around to completing my first build. I had an unused 1995 Cannondale F1000 hardtail MTB size XL frame collecting dust so, why not? Motor kit is a Tongsheng TSDZ2 with torque sense and throttle. I don't have a ride battery yet but have done a good bit of testing using an EGO power tool 52V battery with the bike on a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer. Works pretty darn well so far and will try to get it outside for a spin after the polar vortex departs. Still playing with the stem and bars. I currently have it set up with bars about even with the saddle which requires a lot of rise... I have long legs. I may go back to a 7 degree rise stem... need to get out and ride it.

Performance on the KK fluid trainer: 23 mph on throttle, 28 mph on PAS.

Before:

ZlF8U10.jpg

After:

tXG6IIE.jpg

Here's my second ebike build. I only use it for offroading, single track fun.

Specialized Enduro - 2007
Bafang BBSHD
48V 17Ah Battery
Luna Mighty Mini 30t

Before

LDhxP8Q.jpg

Had to do a bit of welding to get some ground clearance.
lJl6r8b.jpg

After

n8HvUBo.jpg

This is a while after I got the bike - on this pic it already has the wheels relaced with other hubs and brakes to prepare it for the motor installation. It also has an air suspension fork (mocked up to look like a double crown fork).
View attachment 3

And this is now (with a real double crown fork and same size wheels).
es20190115_145401.jpg
es20190115_145425.jpg

This is the last pic, made me Felt logos for the battery. The seat is a bit more to the front, and a longer stem.
View attachment 2

Back