TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

casainho said:
jbalat said:
I can't do it :(
Press up
Then let go
Then hold up for a few seconds

Does this toggle between human power and cadence if you do it right ?
Hmm, it is fast click and after long click

Ok I will keep trying, I only loaded ver 15 on the lcd, I’m assuming I don’t need 16

I tested version 0.16.0 on the way to work this morning. Awesome! Seriously I think this is the best version we have released so far! It has lots of power and it's very smooth and agile. Still have the smile on my face :D

Yes, there are some smaller bugs and imperfections. Some I've already reported like the long click issue which causes the buttons to stop responding. I also think the cadence on display is lost somehow. I'll document the ODO field soon and then I'll find out what exactly is missing or wrong there. I will also improve the offroad mode so that the max power feature becomes available again.

I think that the default assist levels are probably a bit too powerful already by default, therefore it's probably too easy to reach max power. The assist levels are now linear, maybe it's better if 1 is (very) low assist and 5 is turbo by default. Not sure if we need the max power settings for each assist level then, which results in more configuration. What's your opinion?

But honestly, I have no complains at all. This bike is all I ever dreamed of, it's a perfect commuter, I'm even still using the blue gear! (about 500-750 km?)

EndlessCadence said:
Not sure if we need the max power settings for each assist level then, which results in more configuration. What's your opinion?
I think of actual assist level just like how sensitive is the torque sensor and I do not need to change it often. But I would like quick change max power, maybe I would exchange assist level with max power increase/decrease.

I wish max power could be implemented just like a actual odometer sub field, where the power field blinks when we change max power value.

I wish since long time to be able to quick change max power and still see the full main screen.

casainho said:
EndlessCadence said:
Not sure if we need the max power settings for each assist level then, which results in more configuration. What's your opinion?
I think of actual assist level just like how sensitive is the torque sensor and I do not need to change it often. But I would like quick change max power, maybe I would exchange assist level with max power increase/decrease.

I wish max power could be implemented just like a actual odometer sub field, where the power field blinks when we change max power value.

I wish since long time to be able to quick change max power and still see the full main screen.
I think you do not understand me completely. I'm not talking about the overall max power setting/feature but responding to ideas submitted by other users like andyme. They're suggesting something like a max power setting per assist level. See below.

Adding the overall max power to the ODO field shouldn't be too hard. But first, we should complete and/or fix the ODO field.

I would definitely not exchange the assist levels for max power!

andyme said:
wheex said:
I tested 15.1 on my daily commute, and I discovered some power related issue. I've got the 48V motor and I use 48V battery, everything default: max current 16A I set max power 850W and in assist level 2,3,4,5 when the human power goes over 350-400W the motor power limited around 500-550W and it's wont go any higher until human power reduced below around 200W, in that case the motor power can go higher like 750-850W in higher assist levels. I tried not limiting the power but the result is the same.
Is anyone experiencing the same problem?

I wish...for me this would be the right approach altogether. I personally think that we should have individually customisable max power levels per assist level, while allowing e.g. 10 second unlimited "boosts to max power" to overcome short obstacle distances.

But with the new multiplier approach, one can reach highest power levels in the lowest assist levels...it is ok, if this is what one wants, but i think there should also be the possibility to limit it in order not to waste battery without one really noticing it.

my suggestion therefore: allow to limit max power in each assist level. so if the allowed boost phase of 10 seconds is reached, power will gradually go down to the set limit, and the rider will be forced to either go up a notch to the level that has higher max power settings or to shift down. this way you stay in control of power consumption without having to have the eye on the display all the time.

EndlessCadence said:
I think you do not understand me completely. I'm not talking about the overall max power setting/feature but responding to ideas submitted by other users like andyme. They're suggesting something like a max power setting per assist level.
I also think would be complex to start having many configurations for each assist level. I think is better to try quick change each configuration.

What I see now is a way to quick cycle from assist level and max power, and use UP/DOWN buttons to increase/decrease the values.

With color LCD I think this can be improved to user, but not the buttons as they are they same 3 buttons:

Current status:
[youtube]vdrahPO7ZVA[/youtube]

The way I flash/debug the firmware on development, using cheap STLinkV2 clone:
Bafang-850-C-firmware-02.jpg

Bafang-850-C-firmware-01.jpg

I also made my first commute to work today with the 0.15.1 version today.
One thing to say, it is really nice. My motor is way more silent than with previous versions 0.12 and 0.14
I also used less battery for the same distance. and assit is really smooth.

I still noticed a 15% difference in battery usage vs real usage. but it is way better than previous 40% diff.

Thank you for your great work.

ps : i see lot of user are using the 0.16, i followed EC advice and installed 0.15.1. is 0.16 smoother than 0.15.1 ?

nbdriver said:
ps : i see lot of user are using the 0.16, i followed EC advice and installed 0.15.1. is 0.16 smoother than 0.15.1 ?
In my opinion, yes. But it has the battery current ramp implemented which hasn't been tested by many. At that time I advised you to use 0.15.1 because that was the only tested version. If you want to try 0.16.0, go ahead.

Using 0.16.0 I noticed that it's smoother and more responsive. The lag is gone. But there is still a long enough "lag" to allow me switching gears before the motor kicks in. Previously the motor made some low volume whining noises when I was pedaling fast. This morning, using 0.16.0, it was barely audible but I can't explain this. The consumed power which is shown on the display also seems to be more stable.

Than you EC for your answer, I totally understand your previous recommendations. And I just can’t imagine anything smoother than 0.15.1 :D

Just something I noticed on my way home, in level 5 for example, if I push hard on the pedals in a hill, I receive less watts than when I push lighter. The lighter I push the more assistance I get. Strange behaviour, but in line with a post of another user from some days ago. And also, I almost never reach 500w no matter of how hard I push and the assist level. 36v motor 16amp max .

It doesn’t bother me because I have the impression that the motor is more powerful with less watts absorbed on the battery.

I think this software is the best thing ever that I've ever tried and I thank casahino and all the others ... but I can not understand. The core that drives the engine is the same from the first versions and I think it is difficult to get noticeable improvements in consumption and noise only by changing the assistance scale. it can be more or less delicate, but the energy to climb up remains the same, otherwise you get tired of riding more. Perhaps in the plains the improvement may be more sensitive but uphill I do not think much changes. I only have version 0.7 and I'm waiting to change it because it allows me to do off-road, is perfect.
I have always had problems with this engine, I was struggling too much and with this software it has been reborn. I also have a turbo levo and the only substantial difference is the noise. I was able to install it on the first try but it was a hard work for me and I think I was lucky not to make mistakes :-( I'm waiting for the version with the walk assistant to upgrade to hoping not to make mistakes :-(
Thanks again for the wonderful work, thanks to you I'm thinking of taking another engine for an all-mountain gt that I own (before I thought to take off a bbs, but with this firmware tsdz2 it's better!)

nbdriver said:
Just something I noticed on my way home, in level 5 for example, if I push hard on the pedals in a hill, I receive less watts than when I push lighter. The lighter I push the more assistance I get. Strange behaviour, but in line with a post of another user from some days ago. And also, I almost never reach 500w no matter of how hard I push and the assist level. 36v motor 16amp max .

It doesn’t bother me because I have the impression that the motor is more powerful with less watts absorbed on the battery.
This is something that scares me .. my weight is 104kg and with version 0.7 I can get over 650w. (36v) This is very important for me in the off road. it's a reason why I stay at 0.7

Thanks EC and Casainho,
I agree with Casainho that one overall max power is all you need and it needs to be a little bit easier to access while on the main screen.
Loving ver 16

Bring back the cadence :)

jbalat said:
Thanks EC and Casainho,
I agree with Casainho that one overall max power is all you need and it needs to be a little bit easier to access while on the main screen.
Loving ver 16

Bring back the cadence :)

JB, the reason why i suggest configurable power limits per assist level: the way it currently is, you can reach max power at any assist level. This is great when you need a short term boost, but it can be very battery consuming if you do not watch the display attentively. you are not really given the chance to decide wether you want to pedal harder or not.

the concept of the multiplier is great. But the concept of various power levels is also valid, because there you know that you will never exceed a given value in a specific level. That is how it used to work until the multiplier was introduced. so this cannot be that wrong all of a sudden?

therefore i suggest: multiply but allow to limit it to your own taste per level, so that way you can be sure not to waste battery if you dont want to. This would be an extra option that would not change anything about the functionality. you use it or not. that is all. In practice it would be: you get boost for e.g. 10 seconds up to the max, but if this lasts longer, power is going to be reduced to the set limit. then you can decide to shift down or to move up to the next assist level which would have a higher limitation.

This has nothing to do with the overall power limiter, that would not to be touched, and i agree that it should be much easier to access. these are two different subjects. EC suggested to introduce different curves/max values for the different assist levels. this is great and would probably lead to a similar result as i suggest, just that my suggestion leaves all options open to everyone, because you either configure power limits per level or you just don't. so nobody has to suffer from it.

Just my 2 cents... the assist is a multiplier of human power, we know what it does and it’s easy to see what’s going on.
The max power can be set at any time at any assist level or removed while you ride, it’s easy and over arching. You would only use it to save battery so why apply it deep in a menu system where you can’t get to it...

I never like assist levels based on power they don’t make sense. Power is one thing and assist is another. You can easily set an assist level based on human power that gives you roughly the power you need for your normal riding anyway, and when you do need more you just press harder

Setting fixed values for power in the assist levels is not very flexible if you decide to change your mind while you are riding.. also the assist multiplier for human power loses its true meaning, what’s the point of multiplying by 2x then setting a fixed limit forever ?

jbalat said:
also the assist multiplier for human power loses its true meaning, what’s the point of multiplying by 2x then setting a fixed limit forever ?
If we see assist level as torque sensor sensitivity, one may prefer to use high sensitivity but then limit the power -- for my young kid when he started, he needed high sensitivity and then I limited the power and speed for security reasons, and yes our flexible OpenSource firmware is good for different ebike applications.

I still think is most important to being able to quick change assist level and max power while riding. And I think should be with UP and DOWN buttons, I wish to find a easy way to quick cycle between that 2 options.

casainho said:
I still think is most important to being able to quick change assist level and max power while riding.

If the motor works as a multiplier of human power, there is no need to change the assist level in 99% of my rides! :D
The favorite ride mode is a matter of personal preference, I think!

regards
stancecoke

casainho said:
I still think is most important to being able to quick change assist level and max power while riding.

If the motor works as a multiplier of human power, there is no need to change the assist level in 99% of my rides! :D
The favorite ride mode is a matter of personal preference, I think!

regards
stancecoke
[/quote]

I think the last sentence is exacty what i think, too. Actually it is not only preference, it is also circumstances!!! Each of us here has different needs, circumstances, roads, distances, hills and so on....so it is very difficult for one person to judge for everyone. And therefore i want to point out again: what i am suggesting would have ZERO IMPACT on how it is now...it should be part of the settings menu, and there you can set a limit per level or not. that is all. If you decide not to set a limit it will work as now...so that is why i do not understand why this has to be debated as no one is losing anything and we are just gaining options. The only people who could be against it are those who write the code... :?
the max power button is very important and would not be affected by it. I am a fan of options and especially if this does not harm anyone...why be against it?
even my new gloves come with options...and it was not me who created them.. :D :D :D

andyme said:
therefore i want to point out again: what i am suggesting would have ZERO IMPACT on how it is now...it should be part of the settings menu, and there you can set a limit per level or not. that is all. If you decide not to set a limit it will work as now...so that is why i do not understand why this has to be debated as no one is losing anything and we are just gaining options. The only people who could be against it are those who write the code... :?
I am not motivated to do it because I see no value for me. I am not against someone do it and integrate on current code.

nbdriver said:
Than you EC for your answer, I totally understand your previous recommendations. And I just can’t imagine anything smoother than 0.15.1 :D

I think today I ran into a similar situation, and i am almost sure that it has to do something with the boost settings...
I encountered problems with boost, then fiddled in the boost menu (4) and the result was: boost still did not work, but then the whole bike worked worse than before i started fiddling..so i turned off boost altogether, and it went back to normal. So i imagine it was one of the options in the boost menu that was in the way...

could this be also true in your case?

andyme said:
I think today I ran into a similar situation, and i am almost sure that it has to do something with the boost settings...
I encountered problems with boost, then fiddled in the boost menu (4) and the result was: boost still did not work, but then the whole bike worked worse than before i started fiddling..so i turned off boost altogether, and it went back to normal. So i imagine it was one of the options in the boost menu that was in the way...

could this be also true in your case?

I never played with boost settings, and never activated the function. So I don’t think it should be the problem for me.

Hope it helps.

Just finally finished my install (went straight to 16.0), WOW!! I was only able to take it up the block and back due to it being midnight and below freezing, but it is a totally new bike! I still have a grin plastered on my face from the smoothness and power it now has. Absolutely love the power multipliers. Huge thanks to all the countless hours Casahino, EC, Jbalat and rest of the community have put into this. Can’t wait to ride it some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaber said:
Just finally finished my install (went straight to 16.0), WOW!! I was only able to take it up the block and back due to it being midnight and below freezing, but it is a totally new bike! I still have a grin plastered on my face from the smoothness and power it now has. Absolutely love the power multipliers. Huge thanks to all the countless hours Casahino, EC, Jbalat and rest of the community have put into this. Can’t wait to ride it some more.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha enjoy ;)
I have 3 friends with the same motor and I keep telling them how good it is but it’s not until I gave them a ride till they decided to convert too !!

Boost working in 0.16?

It is my impression that boost is not working in the latest release..i have tried various boost settings...i cannot feel that it does anything, but it did work in past releases.

Can anyone pls confirm that boost is working for him in 0.16 and maybe also post his settings? 4.1. etc...

thanks!

Walk assist:

Is there a way to bring the display in a “walk-assist“ mode by means of a button combination so that it stays in it and the up and down keys can control the speed step by step from 1 to X km/h and back?

I don't mean as of now, i mean: could this be a concept or is this not feasible?

One crazy idea came in my mind :) , would it be hard to implement human wh on the screen? I would find it really super interesting to see how much power in wh were used from battery and compare it to pedalling, particularly for longer trips :)

p.s. Still on 14.3 but looking forward to test 16 in a few days :)

markjiizs said:
One crazy idea came in my mind :) , would it be hard to implement human wh on the screen? I would find it really super interesting to see how much power in wh were used from battery and compare it to pedalling, particularly for longer trips :)

p.s. Still on 14.3 but looking forward to test 16 in a few days :)

before you get no answer at all (unfortunately very common in this forum) you may as well get a wrong one from me... :D

To my understanding, the new assist mode works as a multiplier of your own energy. So that should/could mean: the watts that you see on the display are the sum of both efforts. So depending on the assist factor that you selected in the setup, you can easily extract your own portion. e.g.: assist factor 1, you see 400, 200 is from you, 200 the motor.

Back