Dr. Greger explains the cause of insulin resistance, p 17 and explains how to reverse heart failure pg 17

StuRat said:
You've replaced dairy with sugar, is that good? Yes it's natural pineapple fructose but,

Great Q!
Actually i replaced, at breakfast, cream cheese and jam on a roll with, today, peanut butter on a smaller roll, with fresh pineapple. Many days i don't have fruit at breakfast, so then it is PB+jam, but half the amount of jam that i used with the cream cheese. Replaced the 1 minute oatmeal with "old fashioned" oatmeal but ground flax instead of a slice of cheese or canola oil. And replaced SUGAR with salt.
And no more milk in the tea! BAD BAD BAD see video next post.
As for the 2oz of ice cream i used to eat every day, looking around at all the empty PB jars, i'd say the PB replaced the IC, since i was losing too much weight and got down to 119, and had to add a calorie dense food, and fruit does not have enough density (i don't eat tons of fruit like the girl that gained weight)
But, PB is not a treat, and i consider the fresh fruit a treat, like IC was. The PB lacks variety, a treat has to be less frequent, like fruit in season.

Matt Gruber said:
One food that keeps coming up as unhealthy is MILK. Anything made with milk. BAD for humans (but good for baby cows).
Here in 5 minutes, Dr. Greger explains how milk ruins tea, with proof.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KGv1J0qt4
The big surprise is that i don't miss it at all. (it has been several months since ii eliminated all dairy products)
I'd say that knowing how bad a food is, makes it much easier to avoid. Ice cream was a favorite food. Was the last to go, now fruit is a favorite. Fresh pineapple, for example.

brought this over from page 4, don't want anyone to miss the video!

Matt Gruber said:
Replaced the 1 minute oatmeal with "old fashioned" oatmeal but ground flax instead of canola oil. And replaced SUGAR with salt.....
.....looking around at all the empty PB jars, i'd say the PB replaced the IC,
Unless you have been buying some weird synthetic oatmeal,..... there is no nutritional difference between one minute "quick" oats, and any other version of that grain.
Again, unless you are making your own PB from just pure nuts, most store bought PB is as bad as any other processed food..full of additives, sugars , salts, fats , etc.
.......but it does taste good ! :lol:

Hillhater said:
Matt Gruber said:
Replaced the 1 minute oatmeal with "old fashioned" oatmeal but ground flax instead of canola oil. And replaced SUGAR with salt.....
Unless you have been buying some weird synthetic oatmeal,..... there is no nutritional difference between one minute "quick" oats, and any other version of that grain.
Again, unless you are making your own PB from just pure nuts, most store bought PB is as bad as any other processed food..full of additives, sugars , salts, fats , etc.
Hi Hill
Yes i have been making PB. What i do is grind a pound of nice nuts and mix it with the store crap. Tastes much better, the store stuff is too sweet. and has too much added oil.
The oats are said to be digested slowly when rough cut. The quick oats can give a glucose spike because they are absorbed too quickly. They do not cost any more, so it was an easy swap.
Thanks for reading my attempts to eat healthy :mrgreen:

Assuming you cook those oats normally (or are you mixing a museli type meal ?) ..and chew your food as you should, then by the time your stomach get into action, the glucose release etc will be little different.
But as you say, its an easy change if it makes you fell better.
I assume you know you can make "nut butter" from many different typs of nuts ? ...depending on your taste.
.. And too muvh pineapple is definitely not your best diet. It has an enzyme in it that can litterally attack flesh.! :shock:
Many people have bleeding gums and mouths after eating pineapple
pineapple is the only known source of the enzyme Bromelain. Bromelain actually digest proteins… so when you eat pineapple. It’s essentially eating you back! But don’t worry, once you swallow the pineapple the acids in your stomach destroy the enzymes.
https://blogs.unimelb.edu.au/sciencecommunication/2012/10/07/the-flesh-eating-pineapple/

Hillhater said:
Matt Gruber said:

I thought the one minute oat was stripped down of its outter shell where the fiber is. The whole grain oats take a long time to cook.

Hill,
It takes me a week or 2 to eat one 4# pineapple, about 2# net.
I eat about 6 ounces day 1, and 4oz next day or 2.
about 20oz get frozen, then maybe 3x a week i eat 3 or 4 oz at a time.
DG had them for $1 so it was a great deal.
Prefer mangoes, ate lots of them all summer, but never more than 1 per day.
usually eat 1 banana/day, but will eat 2 to use them up when they get real ripe.
Like blueberries. strawberries in season, i'd say the research proves they are better, but taste poor out of season and are then expensive.
Got 5 pomegranites .59/ea but they don't want to get ripe :(
every food item has critics, so i don't mind your comments, everybody has to do their own research and buy what they think is best.
Mark
i'm no expert on oats, they do take a bit longer to cook.

Oats come in many forms, whole grain, rolled, steel cut, quick, 1 minute oats, organic, etc etc,.
I doubt many folk cook whole grain oats for breakfast (to long to cook), ......so most use Rolled , steel cut, or 1 minute (quick) oats, which are all the same base product, with different mechanical processing, but retain all the same nutritional properties......or so nutritionists have told me ! :eek:

Hillhater said:
Oats come in many forms, whole grain, rolled, steel cut, quick, 1 minute oats, organic, etc etc,.
I doubt many folk cook whole grain oats for breakfast (to long to cook), ......so most use Rolled , steel cut, or 1 minute (quick) oats, which are all the same base product, with different mechanical processing, but retain all the same nutritional properties......or so nutritionists have told me ! :eek:
you have been duped. very common with food. i was duped into eating 4 eggs a day (for 1 month).
try some pineapple and let us know if your gums bleed. you have been duped again. pineapple is one of the most popular fruits in the world.

Been a vegan for 6 months, the reason for the turkey is for variety, and for $6 it was hard to pass up.
Plan is to swap in 2-3 oz of turkey at lunch, in place of the home ground peanut butter, every other day until i use it up.
Also will be good to see if i notice any difference in anything. i do have a home test kit with 94 of the 100 strips left, so far all 10 tests are normal with high ph which is normal for vegan. Still taking 1 or less pill per day for my hyper thyroid. So no magic cures from being vegan.
My digestive tract loves the vegan food, i crap like i did 40 years ago, near perfect. did not use even 1 roll of toilet paper in 6 months. Ever wonder how people managed before toilet paper was invented? Easy, eat better food and you don't need it. (and i crap 2-3x a day instead of once)
Also 90% of pimples disappeared; i was still getting zits in my 60's when i ate dairy and meats every day. :roll: They say the toxins in unhealthy food gets picked up by the immune system and either becomes a pimple or gets dumped into the colon, where, if it stays too long, they get re-absorbed and try a 2nd time to poison you. Or they get stored in fat cells. Which is why animal products with fat have toxins, they are stored in the fat. I won't eat any fat that i can remove, when i eat the turkey; no skin either, it is mostly fat.
So, the turkey is a test, if it causes crappy crap or pimples, this will be the last one.
Feel free to comment. No need to agree, as everybody is a little different, and has to do what they think is best. As to why i changed what i eat, Dr said i should take a statin, and i said i'll try a healthier diet FIRST.

Matt Gruber said:
you have been duped. very common with food. i was duped into eating 4 eggs a day (for 1 month).
try some pineapple and let us know if your gums bleed. you have been duped again. pineapple is one of the most popular fruits in the world.
Nope, ! Not duped, just informed.
I happily eat pineapple,..too delicious not too...but i just would not make it a significant part of my fruit intake.
PS. Try putting a piece of meat in a cup of fresh pineapple juice for a few hours ....see what happens !
Any diet needs to be "balanced" between the various food groups....and for me that includes some meats.
I do not believe the human soul can live without bacon :shock: :lol:

Hillhater said:
Matt Gruber said:
Nope, ! Not duped, just informed.
I happily eat pineapple,..too delicious not too...but i just would not make it a significant part of my fruit intake.
PS. Try putting a piece of meat in a cup of fresh pineapple juice for a few hours ....see what happens !
Any diet needs to be "balanced" between the various food groups....and for me that includes some meats.
I do not believe the human soul can live without bacon :shock: :lol:
Thanks for sharing! I have a great acid fruit story. Years ago my Dad would bring over 50-100 grapefruits (free).
After 2 decades of eating 1 every day, i could not do it anymore. Inside of my mouth looked like it was going to dissolve. At first i'd skip a day, then 1/2 every other day, then only with food. As he got into his 90's it was harder for him to pick them, he stopped going up the ladder. BUT, i became sensitive to them, and even 20 per season was pushing my limits. Since he passed away 4 years ago at 96, i have not had a single grapefruit. So a pineapple when they are on sale for $1, maybe 5 or 6 a year, that is a piece of cake.
As for bacon, last time i had it, it was .99 a pound. I knew it was bad, but by only buying it on sale, i limited my intake. I don't miss it at all for 2 reasons, first, my taste buds adjusted to where even vegetables taste great, and my focus on life is not food, but doing fun things, like building my ebike or my central ac made from window ac's. When i wake up in the morning, i think of what project i want to work on, and that gets me out of bed, and i grab some food to start the day.
In this video, Dr Greger shows what happens if one eats 20 servings of fruit a day! Don't miss it, only 4 minutes long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHnsawfk43Y
This article contains a list of high acid foods. Some were surprising to me, like cheese, turkey and peaches
https://www.healthline.com/health/acid-foods-to-avoid#fruits-and-juices
There is a lot of evidence that acid causes loss of calcium and my dad had his hip break, so this is a concern to me. Might very well be my last turkey. will do a ph test 2-3 hours after meal

Many people turn a grain of truth into a false conclusion.
Take peanuts. When quizzed on why a (book selling) vegan Dr. does not recommend peanuts, he said some people are allergic to peanuts and could die :roll:
Another Dr. that wants to save lives, takes peanut butter to Africa and has saved thousands of starving kids from certain death 8)
The 1st Dr. does not want to be sued, the 2nd wants to save lives, big difference. Same food.
Now on to acidic fruits. There are stories of how bad acid is for your body. This, i believe is true.
Pineapple has less acid than grapefruit. Pomegranites have MORE acid than grapefruits (lower ph)
So armed with my test kit, i checked my ph without any acidic fruit, and it was a ph of 8 the opposite of acid, an alkaline reading. After eating 1 serving of pomegranite, and another the next day i checked it 3 hours after eating it, and the ph was still 8. So no reason for me to worry. Since, grapes, plums, peaches, pineapple, all contain acid, this puts my mind at ease. Wish i could go back in time and tell my dad not to eat 100 grapefruits a year, that may of weakened his bones and caused his hip to break. There is truth that too much acid is bad. Wish i could test his ph and i'm sure it would be acidic. Who else eats 100 grapefruits a year for 20-25 years? Sounded healthy at the time, but likely too much of a good thing.

Time for the turkey test. Previous article i linked says turkey is acidic! So i put it to the test.
Ate 2 or 3 times my usual amount, a half pound or so. :D
3 hours later i checked my ph, it dropped from 8 to 7
NOT ACIDIC AT ALL :thumb:
Glad i spent $8.75 for 100 test strips. still have 91 left.
Of course i had it with other food; sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, squash, rice, lintels, celery (stuffing)
So my guess is researchers ate ONLY turkey, and concluded it is acidic. Or it is just a grain of truth expanded into a false conclusion (ph dropped from 8 to 7, therefore turkey is acidic)
Your results may vary.

Urine strips also do not accurately measure what's going on in the blood, just the aftermath of what various metabolic processes occurred.

Learned this in the early days of doing the keto diet. Was pissing out ketones early on. Months later, i wasn't pissing out any. Didn't mean i wasn't in a ketogenic state, for sure.

Electrolytes can't really be measured this way either, nor the state of many vitamins.
IE if you were in a state of severe malnutrition and ate the food of the gods for a day straight, you'd register low vitamin content in your urine because the urine is basically an exit for metabolic waste, but your body would have efficiently used all the vitamins since it needed them.

Acid-Alkaline diet was never based in science in the first place though. Many people who profess to it think lemons turn into an alkaline substance when consumed because of urine comes out alkaline. This is actually a byproduct of your body over-reacting to the acidic substance and buffering it out.

The opposite thing can happen when you consume bicarbonates.

Because the body quickly responds to changes in it's acid-alkaline balance, or else you die.
The human body is a lot smarter than many people who profess to understand it.

Has anyone ever eaten pumpkin pie, but not the crust? I don't like the crust, so today i made an experimental breakfast.
I took a 1/4 can of 100% pure pumpkin, added oats, grits, ground flax, ginger and cinnamon, and a little sugar and salt. Boiled in the Mwave.
Not really the pumpkin pie flavor on my 1st try, but i ate the whole bowl anyway. :)

dug up by Dr. Greger
don't miss this 6 minute video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aog5kWeIu9o

so i made an "improved" soup today.
Added mushrooms, spinach, lintels, raw garlic. Extra onion. (out of collard greens).
Cut back on bone broth and rice. Celery, potatoes and salt as usual.
14oz of turkey from 1/2 of carcass boiled for 1 hour.
8 bowls instead of 5. Those lintels really expand :D
tastes great 8)

another great 5 minute video from Dr Greger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhZFoinQpI0

So i found a produce market that has good deals every week. Here it is January and they had fresh corn a dozen for $2. or 4 for $1. So 12 it is. So i found corn makes a good snack.
Last week they had 3 beets with greens for $1. Local grown. Found out i like an ounce or 2 in my veg. stew. the greens taste good too!
And they have a .39/lb discount bin, got some bruised pears, 7 for 1/3 the reg price. all good, just had to cut away the bruise.
Even the reg price is often 1/2 to 1/3 the price of Publix, i don't go to publix any more :mrgreen:
Got a cabbage for $1, makes my whole dish taste different 8) I'm really liking my new healthy eating! :mrgreen:

Sweet corn sold by the ear is much higher in sugar than the ripe dry corn used in chips. The stuff in chips is also nixtamalized, which makes some of its essential nutrients much more readily absorbable.

Mesoamericans lived on a diet of predominantly corn, but it was nixtamalization that made it possible. Fresh corn would not have done the job.

Chalo said:
Sweet corn sold by the ear is much higher in sugar than the ripe dry corn used in chips. The stuff in chips is also nixtamalized, which makes some of its essential nutrients much more readily absorbable.

Mesoamericans lived on a diet of predominantly corn, but it was nixtamalization that made it possible. Fresh corn would not have done the job.
Hi Chalo,
Thanks for your reply! These are smaller ears than summer corn, only 5oz net corn vs 7 or 8oz in summer.
I was thinking that a dozen ears might spoil, i figured it would take 9 days to use them up.
Good to hear they have lots of sugar, that is the opposite of corn chips, which have most calories from oil, like you say.
So i've eliminated ice cream, and substituted chips, dark chocolate for calories. All could be considered junk food by some. Have to get calories somehow, and chips and chocolate have stopped my weight loss, which was alarming to me, when i dropped below 120# for a while. Now holding at 122. Do need some calorie dense food, be it sugar or oil; many veg just don't have enough calories. :shock:

Matt Gruber said:
Have to get calories somehow, and chips and chocolate have stopped my weight loss, which was alarming to me, when i dropped below 120# for a while. Now holding at 122. Do need some calorie dense food, be it sugar or oil; many veg just don't have enough calories. :shock:

It sounds like whatever works for you is a good thing under the circumstances.

I start most of my days with a pound of vegetables, but I add some eggs, meat, or at the least some butter or oil to give them staying power for my workday.

Back