Qulbix Q140MD - any experience?

bionicon said:
Has somebody the dimensions for the battery capacity?

They have different options, but I went for the 72V 30Ah (2160 Wh) batterypack which is the largest option for the mid-drive Q140MD. For the Q140R with rear hub motor they also have a 72V 40Ah (2880 Wh) option, but for personally I prioritised the better handling of the mid drive setup over the additional 700Wh of battery.

I will be doing some real-world range / consumption tests in various scenarios once I get the bike. It will be interesting to see if I can hit the 20Wh/mile mark at a leisurely cruise in Eco mode, or keep it under 40Wh/mile for more technical single track riding.

Edit: Even at 40Wh/mile I should get over 50 miles (80km) of real world range which is plenty for the trips I am planning. Who knows, maybe I'm being too optimistic and the thing will chew through batteries ;)

benjamin84 said:
bionicon said:
Has somebody the dimensions for the battery capacity?

They have different options, but I went for the 72V 30Ah (2160 Wh) batterypack which is the largest option for the mid-drive Q140MD. For the Q140R with rear hub motor they also have a 72V 40Ah (2880 Wh) option, but for personally I prioritised the better handling of the mid drive setup over the additional 700Wh of battery.

I will be doing some real-world range / consumption tests in various scenarios once I get the bike. It will be interesting to see if I can hit the 20Wh/mile mark at a leisurely cruise in Eco mode, or keep it under 40Wh/mile for more technical single track riding.

Edit: Even at 40Wh/mile I should get over 50 miles (80km) of real world range which is plenty for the trips I am planning. Who knows, maybe I'm being too optimistic and the thing will chew through batteries ;)

Well done! It will be an awesome bike. Qulbix make excellent frames and components. I am sure that this mid placed hub motor and 72/30 battey will be very pokey on the throttle! The whole package looks robust.

benjamin84 said:
YOLO, as the kids say - ordered the Q140MD! Fingers crossed for a dry and warm winter ;)

Just wonder if you received the bike yet? would be good to see a first review here.

BCTECH said:
benjamin84 said:
YOLO, as the kids say - ordered the Q140MD! Fingers crossed for a dry and warm winter ;)

Just wonder if you received the bike yet? would be good to see a first review here.

Not yet :) They sent me an e-mail yesterday, roughly 2 weeks left of the build. Add another 2 weeks of shipping time (Norway being outside the EU complicates things a bit) and I'm hoping to have it in my hands early December.

Fingers crossed we don't get any snow before then! Last year the snow came in November and continued falling until March...

The bike is more or less mechanically complete now, final gear ratio has been sorted (went for the low speed / high torque setup with 55 kph topspeed), and it's mostly final touches with the electronics remaining. Very excited and looking forward to seeing the first pictures of the complete build!

Since its all that's available nowdays, Im hoping to use a conventional 150 or 155 mtb THRU HUB. Does anyone know how or if a thru hub can be used in the qulbix? BTW itll be middrive

The first pictures of my Q140MD have arrived! The guys at Qulbix have done a really good job, and the colour scheme turned out great.

I'm especially pleased with how "bicycle-like" this ended up looking. The frame is beefy, but the white stickers around the head and triple clamp area help to mask the size, and of course the bicycle seat helps greatly compared to the moto-style seat.

Shipping will take place next week, hopefully I'll have it in my hands by the week after, ready for my first test ride :D

dRbUbVlh.png

09pLgMQh.png

M0IG97Oh.png

That looks absolutely great! But a little far from bicycle like apart from the pedals and saddle I think.
And I would have chosen a larger more comfortable saddle. As the motor will do 90% or more of the work you can sit back and enjoy the ride. Without butthurt.... 8)

I'll take some pictures of it next to my motorbike for scale once I get it, I think the size of the Q140 should make it seem much closer to a bicycle than a motorbike with a bit of luck.

Regarding the seat, I'm pretty curious about the comfort too! Thankfully it is a standard bicycle seat so it should be easy enough to swap out if I end up with a sore ass after every trip ;) With a bit of luck though it will feel natural to ride this thing standing on the pegs like I do on the motorbike so the seat won't matter too much :D

looks awesome!
maybe also get the motoseat kit, so you can swap later. I found the motoseat is more comfortable than the most comfortable saddle.
any idea the total weight of the bike?

Don't think I would dare ride with the motoseat here in Norway, the bike is borderline legal as it is, making it look like a miniature motocross bike would be asking for trouble :p

Weight is 53kg

luckily it is near silent so the police won't hear you and nobody will be offended with the noise.

No sir it really i a bicycle with pedals... :wink: :

Haha, I love that picture! :lol:

It should be pretty much silent, which is good ;) Hopefully I will have enough selv control to avoid riding like a hooligan... And actually remember to pedal a bit!

Subbed, that looks like a pretty bike.

I have a custom build based on a q76r (with a mxus rear hub motor pushing about 6kw) which is a fantastic machine and the qulbix frame has stood up to quite a bit, but I do admit that these mid drive setups are very, very interesting.

I originally had built the bike as a mid drive using a kit from LightningRods, which was ridiculously fast (65-68mph top speeds with that 6kw) but really needed to be less fast and more torquey, so I switched to a hub, which is a far less fun ride, but it's also WAY quieter, and hasn't given me a single mechanical problem since switching.

I'm actually considering a Vector Vortex at the moment due to the sale price. Even though it's way, WAY uglier than the Q140MD, it's got a bigger battery and it's much cheaper with the sale price.

Glad to hear the Q76 frame has held up well! I looked at the Vortex too, but it just looks too much like a motocross bike to be able to ride it without any hassle here I think.

Performance should be similar though, and I'm hoping the Q140MD will feel natural to pedal on rather than relying 100% on the motor.

My bike has arrived in Norway now, just have to get it released from customs which entails paying our rediculous 25% VAT. I reckon I should have it in my garage some time next week!

I understand that. To the credit of Qulbix, I'm near Boston, MA and I commute into the city on the q76r. About a year and a half now and I've had no negative attention whatsoever (though LOTS of people ask me what it is when I'm stopped :wink: ). Hopefully you have the same experience with the Q140MD!

benjamin84 said:
Glad to hear the Q76 frame has held up well! I looked at the Vortex too, but it just looks too much like a motocross bike to be able to ride it without any hassle here I think.

Performance should be similar though, and I'm hoping the Q140MD will feel natural to pedal on rather than relying 100% on the motor.

My bike has arrived in Norway now, just have to get it released from customs which entails paying our rediculous 25% VAT. I reckon I should have it in my garage some time next week!

Maaaan! Thats ridiculous amount of VAT. How come you are paying that between Slovenia and Norway?

I'll be very surprised if you spend much timee pedalling this bike, you'll pull back the throttle and be gone!
The bike will be a lot chunkier than you think. It will be like a Slovenian Tank for sure. You have picked well my friend. Enjoy :D

Norway isn't a part of the EU unfortunately so we have to pay VAT on all imports. At least I got the EU VAT taken off the sales price so it isn't such a huge difference in the end (25% vs 19%).

I have very little idea of what to expect with regards to power to be honest - my "daily driver" is a 1200cc motorbike so might be a bit spoilt with respect to throttle response, but then again I won't be doing more than around 15-25 kph on forest trails, and the Q140 should have quite a bit of torque to get me up hills and out of corners :flame:

You would be surprised about the throttle response. My 'daily driver' is a Ducati Multistrada 1200S, and while it's definitely way faster (150hp vs something like 12hp) , dealing with RPM matching and clutch on an ICE vs the near-instant torque from even a substantially less powerful electric motor, especially considering the weight difference (~200kg vs 59kg you said?), makes these bikes absolutely rip. My q76r feels quicker than the multistrada right off the line (and then slower about 0.5 seconds later :lol: )

That sounds very promising! I will hopefully be able to take it out for a ride early next week, VAT is paid so I'm just waiting for delivery ;)

The bike is now sat in my garage, waiting for me to get home and pack it out! This is going to be a loooooong day at work....

Back