New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Rydon said:
Here is the only documentation I have found on the VLCD6. Cute little display but doesn't do miles. You can toggle the speed limit between 25kp/h and 45kp/h. You can also use a smaller wheel diameter to trick the speed limit into reading lower but then the kp/h reading is wrong.

If you want to try the open source firmware, buy a KT-LCD3 instead of the VLCD5. The OS firmware is really cool.

VLCD-6 Display Manual.jpg
Thanks!

I'm still only at page 38, but I skipped ahead to page 154 and caught some of the OS firmware discussion. I will definitely do that instead of VLCD-5.

Do you have a link/source for hardware (cables, adapters) required to get started with flashing OS firmware?

Has anyone made some sort of FAQ for noobs like me?

sac02 said:
Or should I just pony up the $50 and buy a VLCD5?

Thanks!

As said the open firmware currently needs KT-LCD3.

That does however mean that someone here might have a left over XH18 or VLCD5 they would be prepared to let you have to use with standard firmware.

sac02 said:
Rydon said:
Here is the only documentation I have found on the VLCD6. Cute little display but doesn't do miles. You can toggle the speed limit between 25kp/h and 45kp/h. You can also use a smaller wheel diameter to trick the speed limit into reading lower but then the kp/h reading is wrong.

If you want to try the open source firmware, buy a KT-LCD3 instead of the VLCD5. The OS firmware is really cool.

VLCD-6 Display Manual.jpg
Thanks!

I'm still only at page 38, but I skipped ahead to page 154 and caught some of the OS firmware discussion. I will definitely do that instead of VLCD-5.

Do you have a link/source for hardware (cables, adapters) required to get started with flashing OS firmware?

Has anyone made some sort of FAQ for noobs like me?

endlesscadence has asked me to write down some kind of "how to go about it". He meant to go over it and post it on the wiki, but i am afraid he is no longer active. at least i have not see him post here for 2 weeks or so.

So therefore i am attaching what i have so far, there may be some mistakes in a few details, but the main information should be ok

Attachments

• OSF Manual (1).docx
    37 KB · Views: 356
andyme said:
endlesscadence has asked me to write down some kind of "how to go about it". He meant to go over it and post it on the wiki, but i am afraid he is no longer active. at least i have not see him post here for 2 weeks or so.

So therefore i am attaching what i have so far, there may be some mistakes in a few details, but the main information should be ok

Thanks! I also found my way to the github with some good info. I think I'll definitely be doing this soon.

My current understanding is that the firmware for the 850c color display is still being developed, but appears "relatively" nearing completion - is that correct? If so I may wait and purchase an 850c instead of a KT-LCD3. (I assume the firmware is different and not compatible between the two displays?)

sac02 said:
andyme said:

Thanks! I also found my way to the github with some good info. I think I'll definitely be doing this soon.

My current understanding is that the firmware for the 850c color display is still being developed, but appears "relatively" nearing completion - is that correct? If so I may wait and purchase an 850c instead of a KT-LCD3. (I assume the firmware is different and not compatible between the two displays?)

yes, i guess that is right. there is a small uncertainty re. the 850C because there is a variation of it called DPC 18 that comes with a 5 button keypad. I have ordered one and hope to get it by end of the week and i will open it and take pics so that casainho is able to see if these two are basically identical or not. casainho may be willing to go for the version with 5 keys provided most of the work he underwent could also be used for that model. So i think this is a subject that will be solved in the next days after which we should know for sure what lane it is going down

If you'd like the VLCD6 to display mph, simply take the circumference values listed in the manual and multiply them by 0.62. If you want to set the speed limit to 45km/h hold down the power and + button for 10 seconds.

mossboss said:
If you'd like the VLCD6 to display mph, simply take the circumference values listed in the manual and multiply them by 0.62. If you want to set the speed limit to 45km/h hold down the power and + button for 10 seconds.

Clever idea to get mph mossboss! I can't believe I didn't think of that! Has the side benefit of an increased speed limit. The number will be in mph but there will still be a little kph beside it.

andyme said:

EndlessCadence rocks! He carried more than his share of load getting all of the features to a useable release. Thanks EndlessCadence!

Also, good start on the manual andyme! That will be a nice addition to the project. Thanks for pitching in. Have you PM'd EC?

Rydon said:
andyme said:
Have you PM'd EC?

yes. he has not replied lately. it would be a real pity to loose him, but everybody here has his own reasons, possibilities, motivations and constraints and these will guide him at the end of the day...

andyme said:
yes. he has not replied lately. it would be a real pity to loose him, but everybody here has his own reasons, possibilities, motivations and constraints and these will guide him at the end of the day...
I was chatting with him also but my chat says he didn't logged since 3 weeks ago.

casainho said:
andyme said:
Rydon said:
andyme said:
Have you PM'd EC?

I was chatting with him also but my chat says he didn't logged since 3 weeks ago.

maybe he had some other opinions about priorities and directions....anyway...it is how it is...this is your project, and you have all rights to do it the way you want it to go. it is a give and take, as always in life. the more you get from others, the more you may also be willing to adapt...it is also a matter of power...how dependent are you on someone etc...i don't mean to get philosophical...haha..but life is life.

andyme said:
casainho said:
maybe he had some other opinions about priorities and directions....anyway...it is how it is...this is your project, and you have all rights to do it the way you want it to go.
I don't think so. EC was working on some Bluetooth technology and I started working on the color LCD. Both things can coexist and even complement.

No one will say what are my priorities because no one is paying me as a job. The ones that do this free and OpenSource work are the ones that defines his own priorities.

casainho said:
andyme said:
casainho said:
maybe he had some other opinions about priorities and directions....anyway...it is how it is...this is your project, and you have all rights to do it the way you want it to go.
I don't think so. EC was working on some Bluetooth technology and I started working on the color LCD. Both things can coexist and even complement.

No one will say what are my priorities because no one is paying me as a job. The ones that do this free and OpenSource work are the ones that defines his own priorities.

i fully agree and i said exactly the same :)

Rydon said:
mossboss said:

Clever idea to get mph mossboss! I can't believe I didn't think of that! Has the side benefit of an increased speed limit. The number will be in mph but there will still be a little kph beside it.

I love it!

giphy.gif

mossboss said:
cj11363 said:
... VLCD-6 on one of my bikes ... power was limited to 300w
/cj
... I've had luck adjusting the speed limit and circumference on the VLCD-6, but not the power
... Does anyone have any tips for adjusting power on that display?

After my post yesterday and receiving help from this thread, I was able to find the VLCD-6 manual, adjust speed limit, adjust wheel size, initiate walk mode, but...

I also have had no luck adjusting the power on the VLCD-6.

The manual says that to enter Power Select mode, push all three buttons ("+", power, and "-") at the same time. It is not clear to me if it is a single "push", or a "push and hold".

I am not sure if I'm failing to accurately push all three buttons at once, or if I am successfully pushing all three at once but nothing is happening. I tried many times.

It is also not clear to me what the display should look like in the Power Select mode. (so that I can tell if I successfully enter the mode)

Does anyone have this experience with the VLCD-6?

Thanks!

It's push and hold all 3 buttons, for like 10 seconds, which I found to be awkward at best.

My recollection is a 3 digit number appears in the bottom right of the display, with the left most digit flashing. I think that mine started off at 150, and I was only able to increase it to 250 (w). Pressing the power button briefly moves to the next digit, "+" and "-" increment and decrement, and a long press on the power button is exit.

At least that's my recollection. I somehow messed up the controller on that bike yesterday and have it on the bench at the moment....

I think that the power limitation may be due to a combination of the firmware version and the VLCD-6. I'd trying flashing it with the appropriate ( 36V or 48V ) firmware ( or what he calls "profiles" ) from eyebyesicle's instructional ( https://www.eco-ebike.com/blogs/eco-cycles-instructionals/tsdz2programmingfromscratch ).

It may be that simply installing one of those "profiles" will do the trick. It did for me ( 52V ). If you follow his instructions for changing amp value, I've seen conflicting information as to how that value is coded. He indicates that it's BCD, casainho says that it's a hex value, big difference. ( eg: 16 hex would be 22 amps )

/cj

Ahhhh... That makes sense.

In that case I think I DID successfully entered the Power Setting mode, but I THOUGHT I had accidentally re-entered the wheel size mode.

I'll see what options I have for Power Setting values this evening.

If I'm going to get into the game of flashing firmwares, I guess I "should" do the "upgrade" to 52v (from 48v current). I'm currently building my own battery and it is incomplete, so the only loss I would take would be the price of a couple 13s BMS modules I already purchased.

Is there any NEGATIVE aspect (other than battery compatibility) I should understand when considering changing from 48v to 52v firmware?

sac02 said:
If I'm going to get into the game of flashing firmwares, I guess I "should" do the "upgrade" to 52v (from 48v current). I'm currently building my own battery and it is incomplete, so the only loss I would take would be the price of a couple 13s BMS modules I already purchased.

Is there any NEGATIVE aspect (other than battery compatibility) I should understand when considering changing from 48v to 52v firmware?

cons.. More weight, may not fit in the frame
pros.. More range (Wh), less amps for same power

Hi guys,

I broke a GNG2 motor (an awful piece of equipement) a couple of years ago but recently i decided to renew my e-bike experience with Bafang already thinking how I'll mess with the PAS settings to mimic a torque sensing when I accidentally found TSDZ2 kit. It is now obvious that i'll go for it and not for Bafang.

I made an effort to read the thread (not everything obviously), searched back and forth, but still have a few questions.
==============
I have an old 48v battery pack I'd like to reuse, I have hydraulic breaks on my bike, so I want to install brake sensors. I'll also upgrade to the opensource freeware, here comes the questioin:

pswpower has 36V 250/350W models and 48V500/750W models (just 10$ difference probably due to mechanical brakes that I don't need and the throttle)

Which model to buy? I read that people run 36V kits with 48V packs. Are they all have the same motors/controllers and the difference comes only in display settings? Will the new

Another question: the 36V is a non-throtteled version while a 48V is throtteled. Does it matter? (temperature sensor installation is easier/harder on one or the other?)

Thanks in advance.

valkus said:
Hi guys,

I broke a GNG2 motor (an awful piece of equipement) a couple of years ago but recently i decided to renew my e-bike experience with Bafang already thinking how I'll mess with the PAS settings to mimic a torque sensing when I accidentally found TSDZ2 kit. It is now obvious that i'll go for it and not for Bafang.

I made an effort to read the thread (not everything obviously), searched back and forth, but still have a few questions.
==============
I have an old 48v battery pack I'd like to reuse, I have hydraulic breaks on my bike, so I want to install brake sensors. I'll also upgrade to the opensource freeware, here comes the questioin:

pswpower has 36V 250/350W models and 48V500/750W models (just 10$ difference probably due to mechanical brakes that I don't need and the throttle)

Which model to buy? I read that people run 36V kits with 48V packs. Are they all have the same motors/controllers and the difference comes only in display settings? Will the new

Another question: the 36V is a non-throtteled version while a 48V is throtteled. Does it matter? (temperature sensor installation is easier/harder on one or the other?)

Thanks in advance.
First read the FAQ on the wiki and other pages of the wiki, the answers to your questions are there.

casainho said:
First read the FAQ on the wiki and other pages of the wiki, the answers to your questions are there.

Thanks, this answer makes me look a bit stupid but i still don't find what i'm looking for:

for example here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Usage-and-configuration-of-firmware-version-0.14.x#8_Various
0 Motor voltage type 0
0 for 48V brushless motor (TSDZ2 52V version has a 48V brushless motor)
1 for 36V brushless motor.
2 for experimental high cadence mode (only available in version 0.14.3 and up). Maybe not good for the motor, use at your own risk. Probably only suitable for 36V motors. Some users also increase the cadence to around 130 in configuration menu 8.2 (PAS max cadence).
This configuration is needed for FOC calculations.

This tells me that two motor types exists, and probably 36V kit has 36V motor, and 48V has 48V motor, is that correct?
So to safely operate with 13 cells pack i'll need to order 48V kit is that correct?

valkus said:
casainho said:

Thanks, this answer makes me look a bit stupid but i still don't find what i'm looking for:

for example here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Usage-and-configuration-of-firmware-version-0.14.x#8_Various
0 Motor voltage type 0
0 for 48V brushless motor (TSDZ2 52V version has a 48V brushless motor)
1 for 36V brushless motor.
2 for experimental high cadence mode (only available in version 0.14.3 and up). Maybe not good for the motor, use at your own risk. Probably only suitable for 36V motors. Some users also increase the cadence to around 130 in configuration menu 8.2 (PAS max cadence).
This configuration is needed for FOC calculations.

This tells me that two motor types exists, and probably 36V kit has 36V motor, and 48V has 48V motor, is that correct?
So to safely operate with 13 cells pack i'll need to order 48V kit is that correct?

i think there is not really a good reason not to go for the 48V version if you want to use a 48V battery. there are people who own 48V batteries and want e.g. to use them on two bikes, one having a 36 v motor and the other one a 48V motor. That can be done successfully. But if you are before a purchasing decision, the trend goes to 48V....I will attach a short overview of the things to do according to me, maybe this helps you.

Attachments

• OSF Manual (1).docx
    37 KB · Views: 95
andyme said:
i think there is not really a good reason not to go for the 48V version if you want to use a 48V battery. there are people who own 48V batteries and want e.g. to use them on two bikes, one having a 36 v motor and the other one a 48V motor. That can be done successfully. But if you are before a purchasing decision, the trend goes to 48V....I will attach a short overview of the things to do according to me, maybe this helps you.
Maybe we can add a FAQ entry for 48V VS 36V motor. Can someone please elaborate the question and answer to be placed on the FAQ?

casainho said:
andyme said:
Maybe we can add a FAQ entry for 48V VS 36V motor. Can someone please elaborate the question and answer to be placed on the FAQ?

do you agree with the main content of my answer? then i can try to edit something. if someone else knows better, please step in, it should just maybe not get too theoretical and complex.

Back