The end of BionX?

towodi63m

I recommend starting a new thread on this E-Bike General Discussion section of E.S.

Just click on New Topic, create a title ...

Then , tell us again what motor/battery system you have, that you are Paraplegic ?
extent of the amount of use or limited use of your leg's etc.

I want to , and I am sure others want to provide/suggest some possibilities without tying up this BionX thread.

better than starting a new thread is to ask a moderator or admin to move the existing discussion out of this thread into a new one.

Otherwise all the stuff already discussed will just have to be redone by others who have no idea this discussion even happened.

The auction of equipment and leftover product and parts from the Bionx factory ended on August 15, 2018. Has anyone heard who may have bought what and / or what they plan to do with it?

Oh Yeah, I'd like to know that also. It would be nice to get ahold of the parts for these darn batteries.

Falco eMotors ?

anyway , towodi63m

I have some info for you , if you can start another thread ... Vet needs advice on Tadpole Trikes, Bionx motor or something like that .

towodi63m said:
Oh Yeah, I'd like to know that also. It would be nice to get ahold of the parts for these darn batteries.

ScooterMan101 said:
Falco eMotors ?

anyway , towodi63m

I have some info for you , if you can start another thread ... Vet needs advice on Tadpole Trikes, Bionx motor or something like that .
Any use , strength in your legs ?

towodi63m said:

ScooterMan101 said:
Falco eMotors ?

anyway , towodi63m

Any use , strength in your legs ?

towodi63m said:

Being a BionX owner, as well working at a shop and in contact with some of their former employees from the Aurora Ontario plant, so far I have heard that European Bionx is carrying on and working to get components manufacturing done elsewhere. I presume all pieces including batteries are available in Europe for now. And I am told they most likely will bring it to North America again although this has yet to be confirmed.

As a BionX owner, I did some digging for battery rebuild sources, as that seems to be the weakest link in the systems. Nethers Batteries, 3161 Loper Road, Newark, OH 43055, Phone: (740) 404-9650. info@netherswholesale.com is one I found online. I am sure there are other sources out there.

Nethers Wholesale is definitely a good source. I'm another, though I'm trying to ramp down my time spent building batteries so I can focus on other projects.

The 37V and 26V packs are rock solid. I know of a few BMS failures on them, but they're very, very rare.

The Trek Ride+ packs (11S) have a weak BMS. I think someone pushed the voltages a bit harder as they seem mostly identical to the 10S BMS, but I've seen a lot of them dead.

And the 48V BMSes are a horror show. I have about a dozen of them with bad transistors in various sections, for entirely unknown reasons. Those are the weak point in the whole system if you're on a 48V pack.

silentflight said:
The auction of equipment and leftover product and parts from the Bionx factory ended on August 15, 2018. Has anyone heard who may have bought what and / or what they plan to do with it?

I know of one ebike related business in Ontario that bid on and won lots of general purpose electronics lab equipment (fluke multimeters and such), but they said that a lot of the specific machinery (like motor dynos) went for much more than expected. Sadly I totally missed the Aug 15th auction myself.

The big question that I and many others in the hub motor space want to know is who got the Holland Mechanics wheel building machines!? There were lots of eyes on that auction lot.

^^
tenor.gif

(Dn'B folks may wish to "crank those tunes...) :wink:

Question: is their a fairly simple way to hook up another battery source to a BionX motor. I have a few 350 and 500 motors available to me but a definite lack of power source at this time.

Some of the BIonx leftover cables, batteries, motors, etc... were bought by a former electrical engineer at the company. His website offers to sell the remaining inventory he has at hand.

https://www.bx-legacy.com/pages/about-us

GM wuzn't da reason.
it along with bionx & other contractors are a side effect of a deeper underlying cause.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-october-12-2018-1.4859175/frank-stronach-s-lawsuit-against-family-is-in-true-form-for-billionaire-says-business-columnist-1.4860109

Bionx GmbH liquidate, https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2018/12/06/bionx-gmbh-cease-european-operations-and-liquidate#.XAqknxpOmhC

Found this old post while browsing, just want to tell some personal exp.
I had a brief intern summer 2017 in Bionx Canada after they got bought in by Magna. Whole place is a mess.
There was so many RnD that me and a couple full time were working on desks in factory floor. They did not give me anything...... I was working on my personal laptop, on their guest wifi and using a pirated EDA software. Like they cannot get a sysAdmin. If I am a bad person the result could be very bad. So there is no surprise when I got the word they got bankrupted.

At the time my prof was doing some research partnership with them with funding for motor research. It did not work for me but for someone else. That guy had a hard reset on his academia road and I am fortunate to dodge a bullet there. :confused:

Curious, ELBY, who were/are offering their bike with the 500 motor, say they have the parts and expertise to service them. I remember test riding that system in a MTB and it seemed more powerful than any "Class 3" OEM bike I've ever sampled.

I've ridden the D-series several times, and it is very torquey, even though the one I rode only had 500W at 48V. The large diameter put the magnets as far away as possible from the axle, to increase leverage. It would still fit inside a 20-inch rim, but due to its unique design, it used common-length spokes.

It had a sine-wave controller, and it ran as quiet as ANY electric bike I have ever run at Interbike. I hope somebody starts making something similar, since BionX is in no position to sue. Somebody needs to make these available.

Pic is a BionX D-series in a 20-inch rim

BionxBank3.png

chaoshydra said:
Found this old post while browsing, just want to tell some personal exp.
I had a brief intern summer 2017 in Bionx Canada after they got bought in by Magna. Whole place is a mess.
There was so many RnD that me and a couple full time were working on desks in factory floor. They did not give me anything...... I was working on my personal laptop, on their guest wifi and using a pirated EDA software. Like they cannot get a sysAdmin. If I am a bad person the result could be very bad. So there is no surprise when I got the word they got bankrupted.

At the time my prof was doing some research partnership with them with funding for motor research. It did not work for me but for someone else. That guy had a hard reset on his academia road and I am fortunate to dodge a bullet there. :confused:

I've got to say, for a first post that was a pretty good one.

spinningmagnets said:
Pic is a BionX D-series in a 20-inch rim

BionxBank3.png

ooh with that diameter of stator, that thing would be a little beast off the line in a 20".. yummy!

If somebody gave me a D-series BionX system, I'd surgically remove the controller and splice-in a sine-wave controller with 30A capability. Add a temp sensor.

I would not use a BionX battery, even if they were free. Too many headaches, and proprietary interfaces.

If anyone comes across a BionX D-series, save the hubmotor....

SpinningMagnets has a great point, its a great motor!

I have seen 2 BionX D-series kits for sale in the local online classifieds but they always wanted to much for them.

While riding, I see one or two a year as they are really noticeable.
I recently saw one on my last ebike outting a few days ago. The rider had to pedal to get power which completely sucks in my books.

Search

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7891&p=1499801&hilit=bionx#p1499801
A large direct drive motor like the BIonX D can climb hills with better efficiency than most of the geared hub motors on the market.
What makes for an efficient hill climbing motor is having a relatively low winding resistance for the motor kV so that the I^2R copper losses at large torque levels aren't too high, and a geared drive an achieve that with a much smaller motor size.
********************Lots more cool interesting info in that post.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=90037&p=1445572&hilit=bionx#p1445572
Well whatever it is it's a real PITA to separate the two halves apart in a way that it can be neatly put back together again.
It's got a 50% higher torque to weight ratio of most other performance DD hub motors, and even with the composite shell it has a much better thermal performance too in account of the large diameter and surface area for shedding the heat.

The 500D was dynamite IMO; rode it in several different configurations, including ELBY which still features it a couple of years after it was discontinued. Guess they know something, since they must need to be able to repair them for warranty.

Back