Snow Beast Refurb

Raisedeyebrows said:
... he's definitely not motorcycle material....

hahaha :thumb:

Back to topic: I couldn't muster that kind of enthusiam for a rusty bike unless it was very, very special. And did you consider the effect of galvanic corrosion when bolting together steel and aluminum? Put those two metals together, add salt water, and the aluminum will wither away while protecting the steel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathodic_protection

Ships actively use this to protect the hull etc. by placing (and frequently replacing) a lump of Zn below the waterline

With 2" studded tires, at room temperature, I keep them near 40psi.
Which relates to, likely, < 30psi in sub freezing temps.
I do set my bike outside for several minutes to acclimatize to the cold, don't want snow to melt and freeze on rims.
But, keep my battery inside and warm, till ready to go.

Tire pressure is a tricky question!
Higher pressure gives more "bite" to each stud while lower pressure puts more studs into play.
Too soft, IMO, will allow tire to "roll", negating the bite of any number of studs. - and makes rims susceptible to pot hole damage!

Mid-Winter tune-up.
Had to tighten-true spokes on motor wheel, got a bit loose, but was expected as from re-spoked wheel.
Replaced motor chain with KMC "RustBuster" 410. Can build 3 x 15 Link (30T for 9-22T) chains or 1 x 15 + 3 x 13 (26T for 9-16T) chains from standard box.
Replaced brake pads with cheapest I could find but seem decent for Winter weather! ... ?
"Rubber" on alloy rims.
Blue to match bike ...
Cheap brake pads

Rather than shifting in the frozen cold, I keep in 6th, of 7, and only downshift with foot assist for difficult traverse, when stopped. New cable and noodle but old, worn out, shifter, derailleur and cable sleeves. Might, properly refurbish with cheap Shimano trigger shifter I picked up last year?

Got some extra 410 chain (1/2" x 1/8"), KMC "Rust Buster".
Got some cheap from China, "New other" that seems to be deeply impregnated with a thick lubricant - perfect for motor chain!
45 links, 90T is perfect for 3 x 15 links for my 9T-22T Snow Beast rig.
Made up 2x13 links & 1x14 links from left over original "new in box" Z410rb purchase.

I think it best to do chain work in quantity to maintain quality.

Z410rb.jpg

For quality and durability I never use repair links!
"Proper" chain "breaking" and rebuilding is relatively simple, but is also an art requiring a bit of finesse.

That KMC "Rust Buster" chain looks interesting; that looks perfect for your application. Zinc coating I presume?

pwd said:
That KMC "Rust Buster" chain looks interesting; that looks perfect for your application. Zinc coating I presume?
Had a leftover link of the "New other", pulled it apart and noted a very precise black lubricant inside the collar (bearing).
Yes, it appears to be a very complete and even zinc coating. Puzzling though, no crystallization, from electroplating but too consistent and complete for dipping ... ?
Mark on rivets from chain breaking-rebuild consistent with zinc coating-plating.

"Rubber" brake pads worked nice ... till hit -0ºF, lost grip - required extreme pressure.
About time to retire Snow Beast, for the Spring, making a tally of what's needed for next Winter ...
New rear rim! - dropping into potholes with soft-ish tires provides a beating! (banner pothole season in Upstate NY!)
Complete cable refit. - 11 Winters of salt and snow! - All new cables, housings and noodles. Possibly new derailleur?

Estimate near 7000 miles on the old Beast, but couldn't wish for anything better on ice and moderate snow.

Oh crap!
Been so busy ... forgot to mind the snow, Snow on the side streets and slush on the mains this morning!
Don't remember where I stored the shovel, think I know where the salt is, been kicking it every time I delve into deep storage ... will need hammer to break it from solid mass to spreadable chunks.

Haven't looked at the Snow Beast since I put it away in March. Have to rebuild a battery for it, last 36V build got transferred to neighbor who moved up a hill.
Stay tuned as Snow Beast gets ready for it's 12th Winter!

12 years is impressive! If snow beast was a cat, it would look like this by now:

a72823a879e971806a07f3399080fe27.jpg

Cat 12 Year old Snow Beast looks most like!

Dedicating tomorrow to Snow Beast prep.
Cold lousy weather and already spent way too much on line, over $1000 on batteries alone.
Got a dozen 36V 5.1Ah BMSed "Bricks", so wlll likely be building another 15 or 20Ah battery for the Beast.

Will take a picture of the Chinese "Stainless Steel" chain as an object lesson in "Truth in advertising".
Got 20 BMSed 3s1p 2500mAh batteries for enhanced lighting, possibly to power Snowmobile helmet visor also.

Snow Beast Functional!

Well mostly, took a nice ride.
Chinese "Stainless Steel" chain had a "healthy" growth of rust ... penetrating oil and. eventually, hammer couldn't loosen it up.

So, new chain, loosened and lubed the brakes, cleaned and waxed the brake cables.
Fresh batteries in front strobe and rear flashing LEDs.

I said "functional ... mostly", Ditca 22T LHS freewheel is frozen, so I get deceleration when I let off the throttle, which don't offend me at all. Will order a couple replacement freewheels, in case it drops into full freewheel.
and
Shifter cable is rusted and frayed, will break if I crank on it, so just propped the derailleur into high gear (14T) and am happy to live with it ... for now.

Running on 3 x 36V 4.4Ah (13.2Ah) Samsung batteries, waiting on delivery of a dozen 36V 5.1Ah not High Output so will build as 4 in parallel for 36V 20.4Ah.

Repackaged 3 x 36V 4.4Ah Hoverboard batteries into collapsible Trench Shovel bag that I got free after ebay seller sent bag instead of pictured shovel.
Slid heavy cardboard under batteries and pathed wires out the velcroed flap.

36V 13.2Ah.jpg

At 42V the Snow Beast has good acceleration up to about 17mph then sidles up to and moseys along at 21mph.
Originally,cruised at 16mph @ 24V (450w) SLA through 9/20 gears
Upgraded to 20mph @ 25.9V (485w) Li-ion through 9/16 gears for max legal cruising
Perked up to 20mph @ 36V (700w) Li-ion through 9/22 gears for max torque at legal speed. Very likely to rebuild another eZip or 2 with the 36V upgrade and 22T freewheel "downgrade". ... For near legal limit 700w and max legal 20mph.
Also, will be trying a new type battery build. See - Homemade Battery Packs

Back