Another Stealth bomber (clone) build

Good your up and running!! Watched video,looking good and looking forward to seing a ride video!! God looks complicated....laptop and all....dreading that part of my build....visions off a big flash and bang first time I plug it all in!! Keep em coming. :D :D

@choppa, thanks man. Let me know if there's anything you want to know about in the videos. It's not that bad if you print out the manual (for the other models but good info in there) and take your time it not bad at all.

So I've been pulling some late nights trying to get the bike wired up and tuned for a test ride. I want to start off by saying SamD is cool dude and super helpful. He was generating keys that give me engineer access to the controller to enable things like regen and load the QS205 motor profile. It took a bit of playing with the software and going back and forth with Sam, but it's pretty damn close to tuned. I just took it out for another test ride, this one was way better because of the epic tuning session with Sam at midnight last night (not midnight for him 8) ) the bike hauls ace! What sucks now is that the BMS keeps tripping when I get too crazy on the throttle.

Testride specs:

Battery amps: 150
Phase amps: 300

Attachments

• 20181203_203053.jpg
    20181203_203053.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 3,311
No worries,bike is looking great!! Thanks for the offer of help,think I'm gonna seriously need some when I get to the electrics bit! :lol: That dashboard looks way cool,liking it! You going to get a small tablet to mount on bike for that display? I've seen some very cheap android tablets on banggood,would look great on bike in like a chunky protective case I think? I did read up on here about the mobipus and all looks good,just a few comments about the parts of it that are locked and need those keys,sounds like that wasnt a problem for you? Can you change the speedo into mph? Kph does my head in here when I see it,we use mph on road signs etc and speedos but we measure things in meters and mm not feet and inches anymore!! Keep up the great work. :thumb:

@Choppa I asked the same thing about MPH, Sam said he'll ask about it.

So I've been on a mission to get this thing ready for a test ride, been pulling some late nights. I was mainly focused on getting everything mounted before doing the rest of the tuning in software. Main components I got mounted were the controller/heatsink to the side panel, contactor and 12v system. The heatsink that came with the controller was massive, so I had to machine it down a bit to get it to fit inside the frame. I then made some standoffs to sit inside the heatsink and they bottom out on the side panel so the heatsink doesn't. I ordered some thermal paste on amazon, so that should be here tomorrow. The contactor was easy to mount and wire, it takes 72v, not 12v like I initially thought. I'm waiting on some supression diodes for the contactor and that should be completely done.

With some help from SamD I was able to get the keys needed to get all the settings changed that I wanted, now its just a matter of fine tuning.

I'm in the home stretch and want to get it buttoned up for some bashing asap!

Anybody know where to get a pin extraction tool for the QS205 hall connector?

To do:
-test ride video
-switch panel
-new switches
-more tuning
-route motor wires through frame

Mobipus controller install Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fvEgh28vUE

Attachments

• 20181204_192315.jpg
    20181204_192315.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 3,276
  • 20181204_215807.jpg
    20181204_215807.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 3,276
shortcircuit911 said:
@gearsgrind I ordered some 18650s on 11/11 and still haven't seen them so I fully expect to wait a month before I see them.

Shortcircuit911 : My 26650s arrived today, all 120 of them. in 3 parcels.. if you haven't got your yet , you should soon. My bike is all together minus a battery. Following your build an looking forward to more posts.

Awesome you are back up! Weather here in Tx sucks so I havent done much with my build but I did get 100 of those 26650 Liitokala’s and they are testing above 5000mah. Might be the first conservative rating of a Chinese product!

I also went for a Kweld kit to play around with.

Cant wait to see a ride video!

Nice bike. You may want to consider getting more aggressive motorcross tires with longer knobbies on it. I find it really helps to keep the flats away. I make my own homemade slime, and it works great.

cornstarch , antifreeze, ground pepper flakes.

You have to get rid of that pogo stick of a fork. There are xc forks better than that thing its a downhill fork in looks only and you are paying for looks 50-70 dollar quality for sold at 180 due to its looks.

@gearsgrind I've started receiving some of the stuff I bought on 11/11. Got some 18650's, and pack building supplies, still waiting on the littokala's to hit. Thanks for following the build!

@gstegman nice man, post some pics of your battery when you make it. Sucks about the weather in TX, its just kinda cold here, perfect riding weather. Still getting the bike put back together without wires and what not hanging off, so close. Going to make more videos soon.

@rumme motocross tires are on the horizon. I'm still reluctant because there's lots of nicely paved trails by my house. Luckily haven't had a flat yet either. When I do more off road I'll probably make the switch.

So my thermal grease came in so I thought I'd take some pics of the process. I used fine steel wool to scruff the surface but you can use red scotchbrite (my fav) as well. After that I used 99% alcohol to clean the surfaces before applying the thermal grease. Definitely use a squeegee or a bondo applicator to apply the grease. Even though you want a thin layer on the surface (more isn't better) I'd recommend doing both surfaces. I accidentally bolted the controller on upside down and had to take it back off. When I took it off I noticed very small contact patches near the mounting bolts. The bolt spacing is far enough to cause a slight air gap in the center, so apply thermal grease to both sides. Have a clean area to work and use gloves because it gets everywhere and you will wreck your clothes with this stuff. The whole process was quick and fun, reminded me of greasing up model s stators back in the day.

I got the controller back in and spent a lot of time trying to get all the wring run as clean as possible and out of the way. I added foam and kapton tape to all high power contacts just to be sure. I also added kapton tape to the inside of the right panel just for added security. I charged the bike up to 80v and went for a spin and it felt nice. It pulled hard and rode smooth, but was limited to 100 battery amps. I really can't wait to get a high discharging battery pack (or bms) in this bike. I think 200 battery amps and 350 phase amps would be a blast on this thing.

Still haven't got a tablet for the bars, will probably get one after xmas, laptop for now. So pumped to be back up and running more videos to come.

Attachments

• 20181206_213550.jpg
    20181206_213550.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 3,167
  • 20181206_214918.jpg
    20181206_214918.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 3,167
  • 20181208_140656.jpg
    20181208_140656.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 3,167
  • 20181208_140705.jpg
    20181208_140705.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 3,167
  • 20181208_140712.jpg
    20181208_140712.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 3,167
@Gstegman, thanks for directing me to this thread, I was about to pull the trigger on a Sabvoton just because of its shiny TFT screen, I'm glad I didn't.

@Shortcircuit911, awesome thread! very cool read, lots of ups and downs in the hole story, like you said, it definitely looks like you are in the home stretch, i'm confident that everything posted here will make everybody else have a smoother ride trying to build one, like me. I was about to pull the trigger on this same stealth clone frame (I looked up Candy Song, your manufacturer, and realized its the same manufacturar that I was going to purchase from called Dongdian but through another seller called Jessie Luo) but then I noticed that just the frame is 23-24kg and when I compared it to other clone frames out there like EEB and Risun I saw a big difference, they were 13kg and 7kg respectively and 100usd and 300usd more respectively, do you think at the end of the day those 10 or 16 kg play a big role in performance?

I think there is little talk on the mobipus controllers, because the manufacturer had stopped selling them to retailers and wanted to do OEM only.

I guess they are selling them again. Not sure when they changed their minds.

Edit: Seems in March of this year they decided to starting selling them to consumers again.

hgclobo said:
@Shortcircuit911, awesome thread! very cool read, lots of ups and downs in the hole story, like you said, it definitely looks like you are in the home stretch, i'm confident that everything posted here will make everybody else have a smoother ride trying to build one, like me. I was about to pull the trigger on this same stealth clone frame (I looked up Candy Song, your manufacturer, and realized its the same manufacturar that I was going to purchase from called Dongdian but through another seller called Jessie Luo) but then I noticed that just the frame is 23-24kg and when I compared it to other clone frames out there like EEB and Risun I saw a big difference, they were 13kg and 7kg respectively and 100usd and 300usd more respectively, do you think at the end of the day those 10 or 16 kg play a big role in performance?

If I would build a new bike, I would go for the Risun, not for the weight, but for the swingarm mount, and most important, the pedals are directly attatched to the frame, while on the Stealth clone your weight will impact the damping. Also the rear shock is longer on the Risun, and included in the prise of the frame. My 2c

Yea, I did notice that the swing arm is attached to the frame just above the pedals, I don't know anything about mechanisms and I might be completely wrong but it seems like all of your weight even if you are standing on the pedals goes to the suspensions, most of the other frames out there have the pedals on the swing arm, very close to the pivot point but still some of the forces bypass the rear suspension and go directly to the wheel.

Sorry for going out of controller topic there...

hgclobo said:
Yea, I did notice that the swing arm is attached to the frame just above the pedals, I don't know anything about mechanisms and I might be completely wrong but it seems like all of your weight even if you are standing on the pedals goes to the suspensions, most of the other frames out there have the pedals on the swing arm, very close to the pivot point but still some of the forces bypass the rear suspension and go directly to the wheel.

Sorry for going out of controller topic there...

The Stealth clone have the weight on the swingarm, but still works ok actually. The Risun have same system as any mc/mx, the point is mostly that some movements in the clones swingarm is going into your feet when you stand up, while on the Risun the shocks take care of everything, as they should.

@hgclobo what @electricglider said, all solid points. I didn't really build this bike to pedal as I don't even have a chain, so I can't comment on how good or bad it rides like a bicycle. Expect these bikes to be heavier than you think, they can be deceivingly heavy. If you want something that handles like a dirtbike get a dirtbike and convert it. The combination of heavy bike/high center of gravity,(my)shitty front suspension,and a heavy hub motor aren't the best for jumps and whoops.

That being said this bike is really fun to ride, not sure if you can tell in my videos, but I kind of have the best of both worlds nearby as I have 5 miles of 2 lane (closed road) with twisties, and trails right off that road, this bike is fun in both environments. It's really fun to be able to transition from dirt to street and not have anyone know that you're ripping around the neighborhood.

So yesterday the littokala's came in which was pretty quick, I'll pick up the other 50 I need next year. I also received some 18650's for the Ferrari, the kid is ready for more power.

I made some progress getting the switches installed on the frame, but in the process of drilling I tagged the throttle
adapter breaking the piece that retains the cable. I ended up having to order a new throttle adapter and cable because the
cable was damaged as well.

Hopefully both parts are here by the weekend and I can go for a nice long rip. It would be nice to
have the display setup on a tablet already because it's really helpful if the bike breaks down, or is throwing errors. The other day
I was going for the test ride video and the bike kept cutting out, the laptop was taped to the bike so I was able to see that it was a throttle over voltage error and corrected it on the fly. This controller really is bad ass, it has so many features and the display looks nice and is actually useful. Earlier in the thread when I got my 1st motor too hot the sabvoton tft display wasn't very helpful at all, had to google the # of blinks the controller led was blinking, glad those days are over.

So close! Waiting on USPS at this point.

Attachments

• 20181209_144332.jpg
    20181209_144332.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 3,076
  • 20181211_205042.jpg
    20181211_205042.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 3,076
Just realised which frame it was! I did some custom work with that factory a long time ago then didn’t progress it. Slightly smaller belly.
How does the frame feel? Any torsional twisting?

350e6f1ccf7b0531bed7450adf255b1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@sam the frame feels good. I've put a small beating on the bike and the frame feels solid, no twisting. The issue is where the frame and swingarm meet, the bushing and spacers provided give the bike a sloppy rear end feeling. I will correct that soon though. Overall, I'm happy with the frame.

Looks like parts wont be in until monday, bummer..

Samd said:
Just realised which frame it was! I did some custom work with that factory a long time ago then didn’t progress it. Slightly smaller belly.
How does the frame feel? Any torsional twisting?

350e6f1ccf7b0531bed7450adf255b1c.jpg

It is a great frame, no twisting at all. But as OP said, the swingarm solution is the weak point. It rides well on pretty rought terrain, but I can imagine that on a jumpy track/slope the movement of the pedals/swing will cause some challenges. Personally I would want it to be a bit lower between the stem and seat, like the one in your pic. I am 178cm/100kg and the width of the frame is a challenge with 26" wheels and correct ride height on the dampers. Had some serious bruises..... :flame: :flame:

Well the throttle parts came in and I got the bike back together last night. I took it out for a quick test ride and it felt good. Coming back home I goosed it and the front wheel came off a the ground a little, put a smile on my face. There's still a few things to do and little things I want to change which I'll do slowly. I really just want to ride this damn thing, working on it is fun, but it's been down too long. I'll get some more video up soon, still no tablet though.

Attachments

• 20181217_205319.jpg
    20181217_205319.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 2,954
  • 20181217_205403.jpg
    20181217_205403.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 2,953
Running it in normal or turbo mode mostly fella?

I stay in turbo because the BMS is limited to 100A. When I build the littokala 26650 battery, that will have the bluetooth BMS that'll push 300A, then I'll start using the 3 speed switch more.

Going to make a video soon of some hard riding. I think it would be interesting to have a video with the display in the corner of the screen showing what the bike is doing. Need to figure out how to do that very soon.

Does anyone know of good/free video editing software?

I got all the 26650 (120) of them, the Bluetooth BMS and the malectrics spot welder suppose to show up tomorrow. So I will be trying a battery build hopefully soon. The Bike has been together for awhile, no ride yet without a battery and here in Northwestern PA its winter, its been snowing and crappy weather. I am still following your build, good job !

@gearsgrind nice! I was thinking 5p on my littokala pack, but may go 6p, we'll see.

So I've been getting the last bits on the bike for a nice long test ride and was able to go for a rip today. I figured out how to record the display from my laptop, but it is still a pain in the ass to ride with the laptop on the frame. Tomorrow is pretty much shot for me so we'll see if I can get the video shot this sunday if it isn't raining. Still need to figure out video editing software for the split screen video.

The bike felt really good on the ride today, I was running it pretty hard for about 6 miles. I did a few top speed runs in which I hit 53mph :D . When I got back I connected my laptop to the bike and it looks like I triggered the temp setting on the controller because the display said that the current had been cutback, love how much information the display gives you. I felt the left side panel of the bike where the controller is mounted and it was 80 degrees F (it was 55F out)! Looks like I'll be adding some fans to the system to keep the controller cooler longer, the battery bay is getting pretty full, can you say 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag.?

Just bought an HP stream tablet off of ebay to run on the handlebars. I don't like riding the bike without having the display for readout, or if I need to change settings. I'll either make or buy a mount for the tablet and I already have a 5v dc supply that will recharge it.

Attachments

• 20181221_111417.jpg
    20181221_111417.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 2,874
  • 20181221_111436.jpg
    20181221_111436.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 2,874
Back