Wind and Solar vs Coal, Gasoline, Nuclear

I believe this is the distinction between "alternative" and "renewable".

Domestic rooftop PV is of mediocre popularity in the UK but only a fraction is utilised. Commercial/industrial rooftop PV is non-existent. I've seen some "fields of PV" locally, but farmland here is relatively expensive, so rooftop probably offers substantially greater available area. Wind turbines can be (and are) cited on agricultural land, no problem at all (just a tiny % loss in area for the mast/foundation), lots of scope more of those. Lots of wind in the North Sea as well.

Like it or not, dung and sustainably harvested wood is carbon neutral, even if it gives the users the lungs of a chronic cigarette smoker...

Saying RE must equal wind + solar (and must total 100% of energy) is a bit of a strawman argument. It's by far the hardest mix (most expensive, least flexible, least practical) to make work so is a huge favourite with those wishing to claim RE cannot work.

Hillhater said:
We DO NOT KNOW that human initiated CO2 is the cause of increasing concentrations in the atmosphere...
......it is only ASSUMED to be so. There is plenty of evidence to disprove that assumption.

I will bite one more time :) So if deforestation and burning of fossil fuel don't result in increase of CO2, what does ? :D
Volcanoes ? Deep sea monsters ?

I like it how you call for the "Earth in the lab" as the only legit way to prove any climate related theories, while you quite a bit more readily accept "evidence" of the opposite without any such prerequisites.

Hillhater said:
The earth is not a glass box , nor will it fit in a classroom or any other "lab"
I didn't say it was. I said that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. That is a scientific fact.
For An experiment to be valid , has to be representitive of all prevailing conditions.
We DO NOT KNOW that human initiated CO2 is the cause of increasing concentrations in the atmosphere...
We know that for a fact. The isotope ratio of the carbon tells us that the additional CO2 came from underground, from a location that has been out of the biosphere for centuries (i.e. coal beds and oil fields.) Thus it is isotope-depleted. This is called the Suess effect.
Measuring a CO2 level does not "back up" the assumption or indicate the source of CO2.
Yes, it does - because we know that the new CO2 is from fossil fuels due to its isotope ratio. Again, science.
Temperature increases HAVE NOT followed steady increase in CO2.
Temperatures have changed irratically, with no correlation to the CO2 "trend" .
co2_temp_1964_2008.gif

zFacts-CO2-Temp.gif

CO2 has continued to rise even during long periods of no change in temperature.
There has been long periods (40 yrs, 18 yrs) of no increase (even a decrease !) in temperature and step changes in temperature that happen during major El Nino events.
Correct. That's because climate is not the same as weather. Weather is the year by year variation caused by El Nino, La Nina etc effects. Climate is long term changes. And in the long term, they match quite well.
Further, the Co2/temperature prediction models used by the IPCC have failed to correlate with actual measured temperatures.
They have actually correlated quite closely - indeed, much more closely than any contrarian predictions. Even going back to the first IPCC predictions back in 1991, when the climate was not as well understood as it is today, they were off by only 17% (warming of .85C instead of 1C.)
https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-how-well-have-climate-models-projected-global-warming

"Nevertheless, evolution is real, and for humans it occurs more rapidly via culture than through genes. It is entirely possible, therefore, that we humans are rapidly evolving to live more peacefully in larger groups." https://www.resilience.org/stories/2018-12-17/the-big-picture/

Punx0r said:
Basic stuff really that takes all of two minutes to go from "why doesn't temperature always seem to immediately follow CO2" to a comprehensive answer that makes intuitive sense.
Oh dear !..
From your reference...
. To understand recent years in the broader context of long term climate trends, one needs to look at the temperature record over several decades. By comparing carbon dioxide levels to temperature from 1964 to 2008, it becomes apparent that even during a long term warming trend, there are short periods of cooling.
That is a very selective, convenient , time period.....i wonder why they chose those particular dates ?? :roll:
Now ..check the 40 year period 1940-1980, or 1880-1920... on that map that bill has posted
CO 2 still steadily rising, but temperature steadily DECREASING ! :shock:
And , if we had "unadjusted" temperature data, the situation would look much clearer again..!
Oh, and your source also needs to learn the definition of what a "trend" is . :wink:
Yes, basic stuff really !

The Vostok ice core data is what made me a AGW skeptic.
This particular image ends at 1999, so it won't reflect today's co2 numbers. Day 0 in this graph is 1999.

Couple interesting things here..
1) Carbon Dioxide and temperature are very closely related.
2) We live in a heat and carbon peak of a VERY long cycle, and today's weather could be completely normal.
3) The earth has an average variation in global temperature of 12 degrees C, although we have only gone so far into this ice core; the variation could be much more. This ice core sample represents less than 1% of the earth's history.

Other datasets such as soil samples present roughly the same data.
This data leads me to ask more questions than it answers.

Geological record is hugely underappreciated by the alarmist sect.... go figure.

cricketo said:
Hillhater said:
......it is only ASSUMED to be so. There is plenty of evidence to disprove that assumption.

I will bite one more time :) So if deforestation and burning of fossil fuel don't result in increase of CO2, what does ? :D
Volcanoes ? Deep sea monsters ?
I have stated my explanations previously.
Ask yourself where the vast majority of CO2 is contained, and what might cause it to release more !

Hillhater said:
Ask yourself where the vast majority of CO2 is contained, and what might cause it to release more !
The vast majority of carbon on the planet is contained within the Earth. Some of it is accessible via carbonaceous deposits like coal and oil. Burning it causes it to release more.

Hillhater said:

Hmm.... the ocean ? But the concentrations in the ocean have been increasing, not reducing... I give up!

cricketo said:
Hillhater said:

Hmm.... the ocean ? But the concentrations in the ocean have been increasing, not reducing... I give up!
Give up ?, well that is pretty nearly the attitude of many scientists that try to study the CO2 cycles..
After 30 years of measurements, the ocean carbon community is realizing that tracking human-induced changes in the ocean is not as easy as they thought it would be. It wasn’t a mere matter of measuring changes in carbon concentrations in the ocean over time because the natural carbon cycle in the ocean turned out to be a lot more variable than they imagined. “We discovered that natural processes play such an important role that the signals they generate can be as large as or larger than the anthropogenic signal,” says Feely. .
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/OceanCarbon

Hillhater said:
Give up ?, well that is pretty nearly the attitude of many scientists that try to study the CO2 cycles..
After 30 years of measurements, the ocean carbon community is realizing that tracking human-induced changes in the ocean is not as easy as they thought it would be. It wasn’t a mere matter of measuring changes in carbon concentrations in the ocean over time because the natural carbon cycle in the ocean turned out to be a lot more variable than they imagined. “We discovered that natural processes play such an important role that the signals they generate can be as large as or larger than the anthropogenic signal,” says Feely. .
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/OceanCarbon

So let me see if I read between the lines correctly - you're suggesting the Ocean is releasing more CO2 than it is absorbing, thus leading to atmospheric CO2 increase ? Human fossil fuel activities and deforestation have nothing to do with it ?

Hillhater said:
....and subsequent detailed analysis has shown CO2 concentrations to LAG temperature changes by several hundred years.
Not this time. This time we are causing the increase.

Hillhater said:
Now ..check the 40 year period 1940-1980, or 1880-1920... on that map that bill has posted
CO 2 still steadily rising, but temperature steadily DECREASING ! :shock:

Funnily, the answer to that was in the article. Maybe it would have been prudent to read it instead of just looking at the one graph that obviously caught your eye?

Figure 4 compares CO2 to global temperatures over the past century. While CO2 is rising from 1940 to 1970, global temperatures show a cooling trend. This is a 30 year period, longer than can be explained by internal variability from ENSO and solar cycles. If CO2 causes warming, why isn't global temperature rising over this period? To answer this, one needs to recognise that CO2 is not the only driver of climate. There are a number of factors which affect the net energy flow into our climate. Stratospheric aerosols (eg - from volcanic eruptions) reflect sunlight back into space, causing cooling. When solar activity increases, the amount of energy flowing into our climate increases. Figure 5 shows a composite of the various radiative forcings that affect climate.

View attachment 2
(Figure 5: Separate global climate forcings relative to their 1880 values (GISS).)

When all the forcings are combined in Figure 6, the net forcing shows good correlation to global temperature. There is still internal variability superimposed on the temperature record due to short term cycles like ENSO. The main discrepancy is a decade centered around 1940. This is thought to be due to a warming bias introduced by US ships measuring engine intake temperature.

forcing_v_temp.gif
(Figure 6: Blue line is net radiative forcing (GISS). Red line is global temperature anomaly (GISS).)

So we see that climate isn't controlled by a single factor - there are a number of influences that can change the planet's radiative balance. However, for the last 35 years, the dominant forcing has been CO2.

And on the linked page about the 1945 anomaly:

Over the last century, most of the more prominent drops in global temperature coincide with large, tropical volcanic eruptions (the solid lines in Figure 1). However, there are no such eruptions in 1945 (the dashed line). In fact, the drop in 1945 doesn't appear to be related to any known physical phenomenon. Another clue is the fact that the discontinuity is apparent in sea surface temperatures (SST) but not in land temperatures:

temp_sst_vs_land.gif

What caused such a dramatic drop in SST in 1945? In the wartime years leading up to 1945, most sea temperatures measurements were taken by US ships, who measured the temperature of the intake water used for cooling the ship's engines. This method tends to yield higher temperatures due to the warm engine-room environment. However, in August 1945, British ships resumed taking SST measurements. British crews collected water in uninsulated buckets. The bucket method has a cooling bias.

Hillhater said:
And , if we had "unadjusted" temperature data, the situation would look much clearer again..!

Yes, correcting for known sources of error in measurements is just so fraudulent. I'm 7 feet tall, you know.

The problem here, and with all deniers is they think they're so much smarter than the scientists and the "sheeple" who believe them. They can somehow see what's "really" going on. It's the very definition of the double burden of ignorance.

Hillhater said:
Oh, and your source also needs to learn the definition of what a "trend" is . :wink:

I'm genuinely not sure what you're getting at here, because I see absolutely no problem with the author's use of trendlines. We are talking statistical trends here and not flared trousers and platform shoes, right?

neptronix said:
The Vostok ice core data is what made me a AGW skeptic.
Couple interesting things here..
1) Carbon Dioxide and temperature are very closely related.
2) We live in a heat and carbon peak of a VERY long cycle, and today's weather could be completely normal.
3) The earth has an average variation in global temperature of 12 degrees C, although we have only gone so far into this ice core; the variation could be much more. This ice core sample represents less than 1% of the earth's history.

I'm far from qualified to tell you what the ice core does and does not mean (the conclusions of the people who compiled it would be a good place to start) but I'll offer the following comments based on a bit of background knowledge combined with critical thinking.

1) No dispute there
2) Correct: the changes in the chart occur over a (by human standards) very long period of time. The current changes in CO2 level and temperature are far more rapid, which is the problem. It would be hard to even represent on that graph as the time axis is so compressed. The current changes are, unlike all those previous peaks and valleys on the chart, not explainable by any known natural phenomena (volcanic activity, solar output, astronomical effects), so the chance of it being "normal" are extremely small.
3) The 12°C variation is actually the peak-to-peak, not the average (which is much smaller). Regardless, 12 degrees is a lot of range, but again, these changes are normally quite slow, and readily explained by natural phenomena. Life has a chance to adapt. ~100 years (and ~1C) in climate timescale is, by comparison, the blink of an eye. Also note the trend in variation is normally downwards (ice ages) whereas we're now heading for a more unusual "hot house Earth" type scenario, all at a time when natural cycles ought (by past experience) be pushing global temperatures downward.

Punx0r said:
I'm far from qualified to tell you what the ice core does and does not mean (the conclusions of the people who compiled it would be a good place to start) but I'll offer the following comments based on a bit of background knowledge combined with critical thinking.

1) No dispute there
2) Correct: the changes in the chart occur over a (by human standards) very long period of time. The current changes in CO2 level and temperature are far more rapid, which is the problem. It would be hard to even represent on that graph as the time axis is so compressed. The current changes are, unlike all those previous peaks and valleys on the chart, not explainable by any known natural phenomena (volcanic activity, solar output, astronomical effects), so the chance of it being "normal" are extremely small.
3) The 12°C variation is actually the peak-to-peak, not the average (which is much smaller). Regardless, 12 degrees is a lot of range, but again, these changes are normally quite slow, and readily explained by natural phenomena. Life has a chance to adapt. ~100 years (and ~1C) in climate timescale is, by comparison, the blink of an eye. Also note the trend in variation is normally downwards (ice ages) whereas we're now heading for a more unusual "hot house Earth" type scenario, all at a time when natural cycles ought (by past experience) be pushing global temperatures downward.

I'm also far from qualified, but i've decoded some other scientific mysteries in the past, so getting at the truth in multiple realms of science is something i consider fun.

1) Not a surprise !
2) Well, actually we've had extreme swings in co2 from natural phenomena such as volcanoes. We have good reason to suspect that volcanic eruptions and asteroid impacts are responsible for a ~90% species dieoff, and we find either large amounts of dust in the ice, large amounts of co2, etc during these periods.

3) Okay, i used the wrong term, but you got what i meant.
But your 'hothouse earth' scenario has already happened many times. I'm just saying that it's not new, and the geological record says so.

Here is another dataset which shows very large variations over short time spans, since i cannot find a really high resolution long plot of the vostok ice core data.
sg2wav.jpg

So we can see that the earth before industrial times has a rather unstable climate and a variance of 2.5 degrees in global temperature can happen over a 100-200 year timespan.

So 1.1 degrees C rise over ~100 years is actually mild compared to what natural phenomena can dole out.

Short term data ( which you will see AGW alarmists use constantly ) can readily be used to deceive people who are otherwise ignorant. My science nerd specialty is in diet as a form of medicine and also regenerative medicine. In the diet field, i see short term data used VERY OFTEN as a means to deceive the public. Here's a quick example..

On a low carb diet, the adaptation phase can last all the way up to a month. During this month, blood markers will actually be worse, because the body is still learning how to operate on a completely different source of fuel. After this month, blood markers will gradually get MUCH better than the baseline diet ( AKA Standard American Diet ), to the point where many doctors are shocked at things like massive improvements in A1C, blood glucose, and even cholesterol markers, considering that the patient is eating a diet based on saturated fat and cholesterol :lol:

Every single study that shows that a low carb diet is bad either uses invalid methodology ( not actually testing a low carb diet ), or short term data ( 1-2 weeks, where the subject is still undergoing massive systemic changes; even mitochondrial function is undergoing huge changes at this point. )

So that being said, i have noticed over the years that AGW alarmists uniformly use short term data; scrubbing the reference point of what the earth naturally does. This is a huge red flag for me.

So here's where i hand you a bone.
One thing we do know is that ice cores are pretty good at revealing co2 . Here is the most recent ice core data i could find.

So we know that co2 relates to temperature and humans are emitting a shit ton of co2.

The thing i still question, is how much of an impact we are making. I suspect we are making less of an impact than is suggested, and future nightmare scenarios are a bit overblown. Many short term predictions from science have been completely wrong, and we still do not have a solid model for climate; just a bunch of various ones that range from pessimistic to optimistic. But really, if we had a very good understanding of all of this, there would only be one standard model.

The whole 'temperature lags carbon by 100 years' idea does not match up to ice core data. in fact, sometimes co2 will rise and temperature will not. So i don't know about that whole lag idea, which seems to be what the AGW alarmist case rests on today.

But how i see things is not a good reason to continue burning fossil fuels, of course.

neptronix said:
Many short term predictions from science have been completely wrong, and we still do not have a solid model for climate; just a bunch of various ones that range from pessimistic to optimistic. But really, if we had a very good understanding of all of this, there would only be one standard model.
This doesn't make much sense.

Do we have a standard model that predicts the range of an ebike? Can we predict how far you will get within a few percent? And if not, does that mean we don't understand ebikes very much at all?

billvon said:
Do we have a standard model that predicts the range of an ebike? Can we predict how far you will get within a few percent? And if not, does that mean we don't understand ebikes very much at all?

Yes on both. There are clear metrics for measuring aerodynamic forces, tire friction, power inputted vs delivered through multiple components, etc.
This is all very well understood, and understandably so because you have a tiny scope of things to measure, whereas modeling global climate is hugely more complicated and many more things must be known in order to have an accurate prediction.

We still do not even know how to predict the local weather accurately. Too many factors.. you've got to consider geography, water bodies, weather happening elsewhere, jet streams, pressure changes, ocean currents, climate gasses, moon phases, sun spots, sun angle phases, and probably a dozen other smaller things i am missing.

The human body, particularly the brain, is still something that largely eludes us. We use AI to help us discover new pharmaceutical drugs today because it's such a complex bit of machinery that a human brain can't understand the entire scope.

Maybe one day someone will invent a super amazing AI that can accurately model climate, but we're very far from that. Until then we get to argue about things we don't know for sure about.

neptronix said:
Yes on both. There are clear metrics for measuring aerodynamic forces, tire friction, power inputted vs delivered through multiple components, etc.
This is all very well understood, and understandably so because you have a tiny scope of things to measure, whereas modeling global climate is hugely more complicated and many more things must be known in order to have an accurate prediction.
You can't predict range unless you know how the bike will be ridden - and you can't predict climate unless you know how people will change it. Will they significantly reduce CO2 output? Then heating will be lower than the BAU case. Will they start burning as much coal as they can, because it's cheap? Then heating will be higher.

[youtube]GfRo8_RfefA[/youtube]

One day we may all agree of imminent death, but till then money will always talk louder.

neptronix said:
[2) Well, actually we've had extreme swings in co2 from natural phenomena such as volcanoes. We have good reason to suspect that volcanic eruptions and asteroid impacts are responsible for a ~90% species dieoff, and we find either large amounts of dust in the ice, large amounts of co2, etc during these periods.

I was neglecting episodes that cause mass extinctions as humans become kinda irrelevant at that point.

neptronix said:
3) Okay, i used the wrong term, but you got what i meant.
But your 'hothouse earth' scenario has already happened many times. I'm just saying that it's not new, and the geological record says so.

I'd encourage you to google "when was the Earth last this warm" and just read around and see what you think. If you go back sufficiently far in Earth's history you can find all sorts of conditions much more extreme than we see today. But you need to consider whether those conditions were hospitable to the life that exists today.

neptronix said:
Here is another dataset which shows very large variations over short time spans, since i cannot find a really high resolution long plot of the vostok ice core data.
sg2wav.jpg

So we can see that the earth before industrial times has a rather unstable climate and a variance of 2.5 degrees in global temperature can happen over a 100-200 year timespan.

So 1.1 degrees C rise over ~100 years is actually mild compared to what natural phenomena can dole out.

I'm not familiar with that chart, but there is something odd about it: the left axis appears to show temperatures well below zero, indicating it is temperature data from a specific location, which is something that cannot to be used as a proxy for global temperature (for our current ~1°C of global warming, some parts of the world have gotten colder, some are ~10°C warmer (like the Artic)). I googled the chart title and it turns out this is the case: It's the surface temperature of the Greenland ice sheet: https://www.skepticalscience.com/print.php?r=337

This temperature trend in Greenland is interesting and it would be great to know what caused it, but unless similar examples could be found from all over the world, it's not a convincing case for past global temperature.

neptronix said:
So that being said, i have noticed over the years that AGW alarmists uniformly use short term data; scrubbing the reference point of what the earth naturally does. This is a huge red flag for me.

I'm not aware that this has been done. I've seen a bewildering array of natural phenomena investigated and taken into account, and the models still predict the warming we currently see.

neptronix said:
The thing i still question, is how much of an impact we are making. I suspect we are making less of an impact than is suggested, and future nightmare scenarios are a bit overblown.

Yeah, apart from some isolated bits of the globe forming hotspots or getting more frequent extreme weather, the results of warming today are pretty mild and it's hard to see how another degree would be such a disaster. The problems are two-fold: CO2 stays in the atmosphere making it's effects felt for a long time. Even if we completely stopped emitting CO2 today we're still locked in for more warming because of what we have already emitted. Secondly, there are real concerns about unleashing runaway warming effects. For example, we're starting to see permafrost melting and hydrates sublimating, releasing methane - a potent greenhouse. This could form result in a positive feedback, creating ever more warming that we would be powerless to stop, regardless of what we did with CO2.

There was a lot of talk about limiting warming to 1.5°C but this wildly optimistic and largely arbitrary figure was never a hard limit: the expectation was we'd exceed it by mid-century, but then remove enough carbon to bring it back to 1.5°C by 2100. Current action & pledges are nowhere near enough to achieve this. Even 2°C is a bit a pipe-dream without truly radical changes made in the next few years. That's where a lot of the uncertainty kicks in: depending on what we do, we could be on course for 3, 4 or even 5°C of warming, and the more warming, the greater the unpredictability due to uncertain feedback loops, so anywhere from 2°C to complete BBQ is a "reasonable" prediction because even the most accurate model is only so if we have accurate input data and we don't have it for the biggest variable: human activity.

neptronix said:
The whole 'temperature lags carbon by 100 years' idea does not match up to ice core data. in fact, sometimes co2 will rise and temperature will not. So i don't know about that whole lag idea, which seems to be what the AGW alarmist case rests on today.

I recall googling this before after being curious about it. I can only suggest you do the same and judge the explanation for yourself.

Maybe that graph is wrong, but you could find a lot more like it. It's probably using 0 as a baseline. What is '0' is up for debate. I just wanted to demonstrate that recent ice core samples are a good measurement of carbon actually.

Every alarmist website i've seen has used short data, and it is the first thing i notice because i am used to going through datasets first, methodology second, and then the rest as a process of elimination to see if the research paper was bullshit or not.

I actually found about the Vostok ice core while browsing a denier website to try to see what the opposition had to say. Never saw it on an alarmist site. Go figure.

I do not really believe in the catastrophic scenario. There are so many resource limits we can and will likely hit and global population growth may very well slow to a crawl or go negative. It is already slowing significantly. We need a couple magic technologies to surface for the growth rate to go back up. But water will be a huge problem, and besides.. will we even have fossil fuels left in 2100?

I think something else will kick humanity in the as before we manage to use enough energy to extremely geoengineer the planet. But that's just like, my opinion, man.

billvon said:
You can't predict range unless you know how the bike will be ridden - and you can't predict climate unless you know how people will change it. Will they significantly reduce CO2 output? Then heating will be lower than the BAU case. Will they start burning as much coal as they can, because it's cheap? Then heating will be higher.

Yeah, that's a good point and might explain why there are usually something like a dozen models.

But we're still clueless about weather. It's acceptable for the best meteorologist to be >25% off, which is almost as bad as the track record of your typical stock trader's predictions!

neptronix said:
I do not really believe in the catastrophic scenario. There are so many resource limits we can and will likely hit and global population growth may very well slow to a crawl or go negative. It is already slowing significantly. We need a couple magic technologies to surface for the growth rate to go back up. But water will be a huge problem, and besides.. will we even have fossil fuels left in 2100?
We will have plenty of coal.

Here's the catastrophic scenario.

The US continues to elect denier governments. They decide to drill as fast as they can to make America great again. They cancel EPA mileage requirements, efficiency limits, pollution limits etc because those are bad for profits. Average MPG's plummet. Coal power plants proliferate. CO2 emissions jump significantly.

Then the oil starts to run out for real. The estimates were wrong, you see - they assumed the old MPG averages, not the new ones. And now the US is exporting like crazy to make America great again. "Hey!" someone says. "In Germany they used to run cars on coal." And we see gasifiers that allow coal to be used in cars and trucks as a stopgap - but the real goal is converting coal to liquid fuels, which is quite possible. Refineries retool.

The US digs up much of its forests to get at all that coal. CO2 absorption goes down. CO2 emissions go up again.

Climate change accelerates. We reach 4 degrees of warming 25 years early. Permafrost melts and adds its methane to the warming. Now Greenland starts melting in earnest, and permanent drought becomes a fact of life in much of the US. Farmers in the US declare bankruptcy in record numbers; Saskatchewan becomes the new North American grain basket. The US begins gearing up for war to prevent Canada from continuing their "criminal water thefts and illegal grain and oil hoarding." They don't WANT to go to war, you see, but Trump VI is afraid that Canada will leave them no choice. They also prepare for possible war against China, who is responsible for the climate change hoax that's causing all these problems. CO2 production jumps again.

Meanwhile people are moving away from the flooded coasts and starting to populate more inland cities, where it's hotter. (And it's hotter overall anyway.) Air conditioning becomes a basic necessity of life. More coal plants are opened, which means even more warming, and even more people that need A/C more or less permanently. (Well, the ones that can afford it, that is.)

Don't think any of that can happen? We have a president who honestly thinks that climate change is a Chinese hoax. We have half the politicians in the country saying that AGW is fake news. We have an attitude that short term profit should be our only goal. And the world, for better or worse, often follows the US in such opinions. That's the path we are on if we continue this way.

If we do avoid the above, it will be because we begin to take the problem seriously, and try to solve it. There are signs of this happening, but they are just beginning steps.

Back