Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
Lelandjt   10 mW

10 mW

Re: Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Post by Lelandjt » Dec 19 2018 6:12pm

What pressures are you guys running in the stock tires for trail riding? My trails are a bit rocky and high speed so I'm around 23 rear, 21 front to avoid pinch flats and squirming. I want to try lower but worried about impacts.

3DTOPO   1 kW

1 kW

Post by 3DTOPO » Dec 19 2018 9:11pm

Lelandjt wrote:
Dec 19 2018 6:12pm
What pressures are you guys running in the stock tires for trail riding? My trails are a bit rocky and high speed so I'm around 23 rear, 21 front to avoid pinch flats and squirming. I want to try lower but worried about impacts.
I run around 12psi. With the FOC X Controller, it was tearing the valve stem so I switched to tubeless and haven't looked back.

I wouldn't go below 15psi without switching to tubeless.

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » Dec 19 2018 11:03pm

If you want to try lower pressures, I'd recommend trying to clean off the rim and tire interface. They used some kind of really slippery lube when they mounted the tires and it stays slippery. You can just deflate the tire and clean between the tire and rim with some alcohol or similar.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Dec 19 2018 11:32pm

Im going to try a riser bar now, sounds great. How tall are you?
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

motomoto   1 kW

1 kW

Post by motomoto » Dec 20 2018 12:25am

Tall bars are the bomb. The fork and stem are made for a pedaling position. This picture shows that
even for a junior rider you need taller bars.
85 bee.JPG

derb   10 mW

10 mW

Post by derb » Dec 20 2018 4:01am

Allex wrote:
Dec 18 2018 4:56pm

Just checking how motor spins without chain and belt:
Can you do that again at 20 to 30km / h? I would be interested in whether the engine has its own resonance frequency in this area.
Thanks

matthepp   1 µW

1 µW

Post by matthepp » Dec 20 2018 1:41pm

Hi all,
I'm an avid mountain biker and have recently put a few years of moto riding under my belt, mostly technical singletrack. I just got a Sur Ron X from Luna last week. I have a few questions (sorry, I did my best as a noob to search for answers first):
1. Bike already covered in adobe mud. Is it okay per manufacturer/supplier to pressure wash this bike? If not, how to wash?
2. Has anyone installed a brake light? Can this be triggered via the rear brake cutoff switch?
3. I added a little switch on the cut green/black wire. This bumped my (200#) top speed from 40 kph all the way up to 43 kph. Is this all I should expect?
4. I have read varying reports about "wheelie popping power" to "detuned X controllers". While I like the bike already for trail riding, I would love way more torque. I plan to switch to the 60 tooth sprocket. What is the TRUTH about the available power/controllers?
5. I already smashed the crap out of the stock motor splash guard working on splats, etc. I got the Luna guard and I give it a week max before it's junk. Anyone out there producing our thinking about working on a real bash guard, something like the stuff that Flatland Racing puts out?
Thanks, Matt

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Dec 20 2018 3:22pm

matthepp wrote:
Dec 20 2018 1:41pm
Hi all,
I'm an avid mountain biker and have recently put a few years of moto riding under my belt, mostly technical singletrack. I just got a Sur Ron X from Luna last week. I have a few questions (sorry, I did my best as a noob to search for answers first):
1. Bike already covered in adobe mud. Is it okay per manufacturer/supplier to pressure wash this bike? If not, how to wash?
2. Has anyone installed a brake light? Can this be triggered via the rear brake cutoff switch?
3. I added a little switch on the cut green/black wire. This bumped my (200#) top speed from 40 kph all the way up to 43 kph. Is this all I should expect?
4. I have read varying reports about "wheelie popping power" to "detuned X controllers". While I like the bike already for trail riding, I would love way more torque. I plan to switch to the 60 tooth sprocket. What is the TRUTH about the available power/controllers?
5. I already smashed the crap out of the stock motor splash guard working on splats, etc. I got the Luna guard and I give it a week max before it's junk. Anyone out there producing our thinking about working on a real bash guard, something like the stuff that Flatland Racing puts out?
Thanks, Matt
Hi Matt, I just wanted to comment on gearing. I ran the 48T, 52T, 55T and a 58T sprockets on my SurRon, and I weigh 240+ pounds, the best gearing I had found was the 52T and 55T with a nod toward the 55T. I think for riders under 200# the 52t would be optimal. I had a little more top speed with the 55T over the 58T and literally no difference in acceleration. What I think was going on here was due to lack of inductance load factors, the 58T wasn't demanding max phase amps so it didn't accelerate any faster than the 55T. Many pages back in this thread, I posted marks on a sandy hill climb with all gear ratios, the 55 and 58T sprockets stalled out in the same place where wheel spin and momentum kept me from going further. I would not go to a 60T on these machines unless I was over 300 pounds or pulling a trailer, or only climbed hills.

motomoto   1 kW

1 kW

Post by motomoto » Dec 20 2018 6:18pm

Looks like I need to make some 55s. I thought it was just a passing fad.

Lelandjt   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Lelandjt » Dec 20 2018 6:59pm

Luna just started selling a steel 54t. I'd like to buy an aluminum 52 or 54t though. Motomoto, how do I buy your sprocket and do you include a couple links of o-ring chain and a masterlink so the stock X-bike chain can be lengthened, or should I just buy a new chain to use with your sprocket?

3DTOPO   1 kW

1 kW

Post by 3DTOPO » Dec 20 2018 9:13pm

matthepp wrote:
Dec 20 2018 1:41pm
Hi all,
Thanks, Matt
1. I just use a garden hose with a nozzle. When you wash, make sure to take out the battery first. I suppose pressure washing would be OK, but I would use a wide angle nozzle.

2. People have installed brake lights. Search this thread for "Brake Light".

3. You should have much faster than 43 kph. Top speed depends if you have the FOC controller that has field weakening or not (and sprocket of course). Apparently, the new versions of the X Controller do not have field weakening (or regenerative breaks). With stock gearing and field weakening, you should get a top speed of 83km/h, without field weakening 72km/h.

4. I tried the 58T with the X Controller with field weakening and went back to the stock sprocket. It definitely had more low-speed torque, but it seems like it kind lags around 20 mph when punched, where with the 48T, punching it 20 mph seemed much more aggressive (with the X Controller too). At lower speeds, the 58T definitely rules. Since I could climb anything I needed (45 degree slopes) with the stock sprocket, I went back to the stock.
Last edited by 3DTOPO on Dec 20 2018 9:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Dec 20 2018 9:19pm

As someone whos had dirtbikes of sometype for 30 years, the bikes I power washed would have all the bearings and suspension bushings fail and random electronics and switching fail. The bikes I would then hose and scrub off would have all the bolts rust and still often fail suspension linkage seals from scrubbing and randomly connectors would fail from getting full of water. Then I started just taking a damp rag and wiping down my bikes and never hosing them, and everything stopped rusting and electronics stopped failing randomly. This is all gas dirtbikes not ebikes, but I don't see why it wouldn't be similar or even more benifical to wipe down your Sur Ron over hosing it.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

Offroader   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Offroader » Dec 20 2018 10:07pm

Here is my take on washing the bike.

I read on a dirt bike post that the power washer may very well push a lot of stuff deep into the bike, like into the seals.

I think you are OK power washing certain parts if done carefully. You can certainly power was the front of the Sur-Ron controller as that is a pain in the ass to clean with all the grooves, its all solid aluminum on the front so no risk.

You can power wash the white fork legs, the seat, the tires, spokes,

The frame is aluminum, and some bolts are aluminum, but some bolts are also steel.

The electronics are secured well so its difficult for water to get into them.

I'm not sure if its OK to wash the rear shock but I run a hose on it to wash off the dirt. The rear suspension linkage I don't know if you want to power wash this as you will push the dirt deeper into the bearings.

After it is wet make sure to let it dry outside as long as you can and then put it someplace with decent air flow so the bike dries out and the water doesn't just sit on the bike and inside the screw holes. Water pooling will rust stuff, like if it gets pooled in the bolt/screw holes.

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Dec 20 2018 11:32pm

While power washing those parts directly, other parts may be damaged by spray back, but it's your bike to do what you want. I moved to wiping with a damp rag and not cleaning whatever isn't practical to clean in a few minutes with a rag. This was by far the best longevity of dirtbikes strategy i found, you might find different for your locations temp/humidity/saltyness.

3DTOPO   1 kW

1 kW

Post by 3DTOPO » Dec 20 2018 11:37pm

I've only rinsed mine off with a garden hose maybe 3 times since I have had in the last 7 months. I used a rag to dry it afterward.

StingerRUS   1 µW

1 µW

Post by StingerRUS » Dec 21 2018 12:57am

Just got 60 tooth sprocket from lunacycle. I would not put this low quality part on my bike. Very disappointing...
Jist look at the stock sprocket to understand what surface roughness you should see on aftermarket sprockets. ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

motomoto   1 kW

1 kW

Post by motomoto » Dec 21 2018 1:57am

It's exactly like my quality. I don't see a difference.
sprocket.jpg

3DTOPO   1 kW

1 kW

Post by 3DTOPO » Dec 21 2018 2:07am

madin88   100 MW

100 MW

Post by madin88 » Dec 21 2018 3:32am

StingerRUS wrote:
Dec 21 2018 12:57am
Just got 60 tooth sprocket from lunacycle. I would not put this low quality part on my bike. Very disappointing...
Jist look at the stock sprocket to understand what surface roughness you should see on aftermarket sprockets.
I would be worried about the sharp edges of the teeth. There should be a slope on the sides to engage smooth into the chain.

Lelandjt   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Lelandjt » Dec 21 2018 7:00am

I see how to adjust belt tension but how do you determine what's correct?

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » Dec 21 2018 9:53am

Lelandjt wrote:
Dec 21 2018 7:00am
I see how to adjust belt tension but how do you determine what's correct?
Good question. I researched the Gates belt web site for general information on how to tension timing belts. I'm still not sure, but all the information I saw indicates it takes quite a bit of tension. If the motor was swinging freely on the mount, you'd want at least 25-30 lbs force on the center line between sprockets. Seems like a lot.

If the tension is too low, the belt could skip or ride up on the teeth and cause premature wear.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Dec 21 2018 10:43am

motomoto wrote:
Dec 21 2018 1:57am
It's exactly like my quality. I don't see a difference.sprocket.jpg
Motomotos pictures don't do his sprockets justice, when you hold one of his sprockets in your hand and see just how nice it is, its a on a different level, literally pretty enough to be jewelry, hell, I could wear it as a necklace.

Offroader   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Offroader » Dec 21 2018 10:50am

motomoto wrote:
I'm confused, are you saying your quality is the same as Luna Cycles or the sprocket posted in the picture above with all the rough surfaces?

SlowCo   100 kW

100 kW

Post by SlowCo » Dec 21 2018 11:04am

Offroader wrote:
Dec 21 2018 10:50am
motomoto wrote:
I'm confused, are you saying your quality is the same as Luna Cycles or the sprocket posted in the picture above with all the rough surfaces?
I think he forgot this emoticon: :wink:

motomoto   1 kW

1 kW

Post by motomoto » Dec 21 2018 11:06am

I was being sarcastic. This is how much care goes into a Luna sprocket. Please disregard the food in the beard and the pajama bottoms.

Last edited by motomoto on Dec 21 2018 11:15am, edited 2 times in total.