la Nina rears her ugly head

Detailed Forecast
Tonight
A chance of showers and thunderstorms after 10pm. Increasing clouds, with a low around 44. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Christmas Day
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 54. Southwest wind 5 to 15 mph becoming northwest in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 39. South wind 5 to 10 mph.

Looks like it’s going to be an “inside slider”, which occurs when the center of the low follows the track the spine of the Sierra Nevada range bringing wind and moisture from the northeast, instead of from the southwest. No atmospheric river this time so amounts will tend to be lower, but the instability could add to the excitement. :twisted:
https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/weus/h5-loop-ft.html

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
************************************************************** :)
Scattered showers interspersed with bright sunshine. Storybook conditions, drive 30 minutes for snow. Clear week ahead for the New Year parade. :)
https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/pacsouthwest_loop.php

https://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/2019-may-be-the-warmest-year-on-record-as-a-result-of-an-el-nino-event-exacerbated-by-global-warming/70006943

Might soon be time to change the title of this thread again back to El Niño. :?

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
*************************************************************************************************** :D

0.6" here since yesterday. Nice and sunny today, so should be good for riding after it dries out a little. No rain forecast for at least a week.

No rain yet, but forecast is for 40% starting this morning, and 60%+ tonight, decreasing after that to nothing tomorrow and then 20% the next day.

But I think I'm ready in case the electrics get wet and don't work, though:

file.php

Well, maybe half-ready:

file.php

Minnesota, NO SNOW! Means no insulation for ground and water lines when the subzero F weather comes.
Tomorrow another fluke, 43 and rain! ARGH!

Been getting to the edge of freezing each night last few days, with highs around 60F, if that.

Actually had some ice crystals across the dogs' water dish that is in shade all day outside, when I went out with them this morning, so it got cold enough long enough to do that.

Supposed to be colder a degree or few at least the rest of this year, and partway into next.

All the dogs except Yogi are loving it, but Yogi's got an achy back and neck, and can't lift his head all the way up at present, and does some whimpering when getting up after laying in the same place for too long, sometimes. I sympathize; parts of me feel like that too. :/

This Afternoon
Sunny, with a high near 57. Southwest wind around 5 mph.
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 39. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 61. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 41. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Monday
A slight chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 57. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Monday Night
A slight chance of showers before 10pm. Mostly clear, with a low around 41. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
New Year's Day
Sunny, with a high near 54. Windy.

Was 33 degrees F at 9:00 am. Frost Advisory through tomorrow morning. :oops:
https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=CAZ048&warncounty=CAC065&firewxzone=CAZ248&local_place1=5%20Miles%20ESE%20Hemet%20CA&product1=Frost+Advisory&lat=33.7142&lon=-116.9176#.XCgoVWa3PMI

Tonight
A chance of showers after 4am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 38. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Monday
Showers likely, mainly between 10am and 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 55. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible
Monday Night
A slight chance of showers before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming clear, with a low around 36. Windy, with a northeast wind 20 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 54. Windy, with a northeast wind 20 to 25 mph increasing to 25 to 30 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph.
Tuesday Night
Clear, with a low around 35. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northeast after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.

Looks like the Rose Parade is safe for now, except for a little wind.

No rain for over a week here. Things dried out enough so riding off road isn't messy. It's much nicer when the soil has some moisture content compared to late summer when it's completely dried out and dusty.

Some chance for rain toward the end of the week.

La Niña Rain Gage
************************************************************************ :)

Had drizzling very cold rain for several hours yesterday/last night (which thankfully kept a lot of people in the area from setting off much in the way of fireworks, especially the cannonade stuff).

This morning, a lot of stuff that was wet was frozen solid, including the cloth I have hung (tied to) the chainlink fence, so the newer pair of dogs don't bark at everything moving outside the yard. (which someone had cut the ties on a stretch of sometime the night before new year's eve, probalby just to be malicious, since there were also a bunch of beer bottles scattered around that corner of the yard).

The two water buckets were partly frozen over, as was the big doggie "pool", and much of the surface mud that is in shade all day this time of year.

Air temperature at about 9am was only 34F, with the sun shining.

I had left a small heater running on low in the shed with the trike, pointed at the front of the battery/cargo compartment area, and a heating pad on low in the actual battery compartment (which is insulated), and the temperature in the shed was only 45F even so, by about 9am, and the battery compartment was only 65F.

Saturday
A slight chance of rain after 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 61.
Saturday Night
A chance of rain, mainly after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44.
Sunday
A chance of rain before 10am, then a chance of showers after 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 62.
Sunday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45.
Monday
A slight chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 64.

Warmer nights coming with the next bout of rain. Until then lows around 30f.

January in Minnesota! WHA?

Wee NEED snow!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 5.08.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 5.08.53 PM.png
    29 KB · Views: 817
It's gotten a few degrees below freezing the last couple nights; even the doggie pool has now crusted over with nearly 1/4" of ice.

Kirin wasnt' expecting that so when she ran over to take a drink after playtime late this morning, she bonked her nose on the ice and looked very confusedly at it. :lol: Jelly just put her foot on it and broke the ice, then stuck her face in up to her eyeballs like she usually does.

Oddly, the smaller (2 gallon, but only kept 1/4 full) doggie water bowls outside didn't freeze--but I think it's becuse the slime from the dogs is acting like an antifreeze, as I haven't changed the water in a few days. I changed it today so we'll see if that was it.

Couple days ago, I bought some soda on deep sale (don't usually buy it) for my week off, and just left it outside in the styrofoam cooler with the lid off, and it's been nice and cold, even better than in the fridge. :lol: Hasn't frozen; is staying around 40F.

Ground in several places is frozen at the very surface, where it is shade all day.

Wednesday
A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 63.
Wednesday Night
A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46.
Thursday
A chance of rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 59.

Was only 27 degrees F last night, supposed to be 10 degrees warmer tonight. :oops:

Back