Persecuting E-Bikes in New York City

wturber said:
The apparently eased back in late 2018 by clarifying that pedelec/no-throttle ebikes were legal if they did not go faster than 20 mph. That's fairly heavy handed since regular bicycles can easily exceeed 25 mph with a fit rider and even hit 30 mph with a really fit rider.

A lazy slug poking a throttle probably doesn't have his brain turned fully on like someone who's busy making a horsepower with his muscles. The results are plain to see among car drivers.

several west side path electric signs state no ebikes and to report them

i’ve seen state park barneys stop obvious ebikes dunno how it turned out for those ebikers

should you see state park people standing along path perhaps detour west side highway and avoid the path for couple of blocks

west side highway can get pretty calm in-between red traffic lights

Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah I figured they would be patrolling that bike path. I'm going to avoid it all together and just drive on the west side highway.

I think I know what you mean with the park police as I see them around battery park often.

certain time of day/night traffic lights time out west side highway can make safe quick corridor

many east avenue lights time out well too and can make good travel times with swift bike

remember cameras everywhere if nypd decide to nab you they can/will

ride pro and vary things so not in same time/place every week

Yes I agree, key is to switch things up so you are not riding by the same area every single day at the same time, and you just happen to ride by that same officer everyday.

My work shifts are spread out at different times and weekends. I'm working some nights, afternoons, and mornings. I'm also going to try and switch up the routes, but the west side highway will probably be the quickest.

My goal is really to cut down my commute by using the ebike. I figure I can cut down an almost 1.5 hour commute to maybe 50 minutes (25-30 minutes of this is on the ferry boat) by not having to take both the bus and subway and waiting for them and then having to time the ferry with them.

The big benefit is timing the ferry, with a bike I can leave my house or job at the exact time so I am walking the bike onto the ferry right before it leaves. If I use the subway or bus, I can't time it so I may just miss it sometimes and have to wait 30 minutes for the next.

Not only will I be cutting my commute down, it will be a fun commute as I get to ride my bike, rather than dealing with all the crap of the bus & subway, and trying to time the ferry.

Offroader said:
You need a bike that can push 55MPH.

Oh Oh... A lot of "offroading" in your city much? (I'm only used to sneaking past bumper-to-bumper traffic w/them averaging maybe 10 mph...)

:lol:

I like to think of my bike as dual purpose. Its a very thin 76mm or 3" wide frame but holds a huge 3.2 KWH battery and can hit 55MPH very quickly.

It is dual purpose in that it can be used as a bicycle, if nobody notices the foot pegs :D , when needed and as a motorcycle when needed.

Chalo said:
A lazy slug poking a throttle probably doesn't have his brain turned fully on like someone who's busy making a horsepower with his muscles. The results are plain to see among car drivers.
Either that, or the guy making horsepower with his muscles doesn't have the power to get himself in much trouble.

Offroader said:
yes we are pushing the limits, but that is what you need to get places fast in the city. You need a bike that can push 55MPH. The thing is we are not doing that in the bike lanes, we go right on the highway.
And hence the persecution of ebikes.

billvon said:
Chalo said:
Either that, or the guy making horsepower with his muscles doesn't have the power to get himself in much trouble.

And of course, he's only going 25mph or more in relatively brief bursts.

billvon said:
Offroader said:
yes we are pushing the limits, but that is what you need to get places fast in the city. You need a bike that can push 55MPH. The thing is we are not doing that in the bike lanes, we go right on the highway.
And hence the persecution of ebikes.

I've yet to see any fast ebikes in NYC and I've been an enthusiast for like 5 years now. All other ebikes I see are of the bicycle and slow variety.

High powered ebikes are extremely rare and since I never never seen another one, most likely the police haven't either.

eBikes that can hit speeds of 55MPH are very expensive and complex, that is why practically none exist other than the few from people on this forum spread around the world.

The issue isn't high powered ebikes, the issue is delivery riders in the city with their cheap $1000 bikes that everybody is complaining about. These are abundant, but they are not fast.

Offroader said:
What would you do if the police tried to pull you over, would you even stop for them? I'm thinking just act like you don't hear or see them and just get lost in the traffic. This is NYC police and not some state trooper from the country, the police treat citizens like babies in the city.

I would do the same thing I would ask the guy who hit a biker or pedestrian to do.

You are advocating a hostile lawless opposition to anyone's thoughts but your own.

That is wrong, very very wrong.

I can't even understand what the guy was saying in the post above yours, made no sense. I'm advocating something by asking a question, opposition to others thoughts, what are you even speaking about? :confused: ?

Sparks fly in debate over electric bicycles:
https://www.thevillager.com/2019/01/10/sparks-fly-in-debate-over-electric-bicycles/

Starts:
BY GABE HERMAN | As the city’s bicycle culture continues to grow, electric bikes remain a flashpoint regarding pedestrian safety and which types of e-bikes – and what type of speed — should be allowed.

The city started allowing pedal-assist bicycles this past summer, which were recently added to the CitiBike program and go up to 20 miles per hour. So-called throttle bikes — which have the speed control on the handlebar grip, like motorcycles — can go up to about 25 mph and don’t require pedaling for the motor to work.

Mayor Bill de Blasio has been outspoken against throttle bikes. He has declared them illegal under existing state law and lauded police crackdowns and seizures of them.

It hasn’t been lost on transportation advocates that outlawed throttle bikes tend to be used more by deliverymen who are often immigrants or poorer New Yorkers, while pedal-assist bikes tend to have more upper-class riders.

City food delivery workers on e-bikes could see legal relief soon
("A package of City Council legislation would legalize throttle e-bikes and e-scooters in New York City."):
https://www.amny.com/transit/nyc-delivery-ebikes-escooters-1.26355451

Starts:
Food delivery workers rallied behind local lawmakers Wednesday as the City Council discussed a package of legislation that would legalize throttle e-bikes and e-scooters in New York City.

Supportive Council members focused their ire on the de Blasio administration, which they argued has created a class divide around cycling in the city. While the Department of Transportation has clarified its laws to allow for companies like Lime, Uber and Motivate to legally launch pedal-assist electric bicycle sharing, it has also launched a ticketing blitz against delivery workers who tend to use an illegal, throttle version.

... Includes:
Police confiscated 1,215 illegal e-bikes in 2018 and another 1,005 e-bikes the year before, according to Thomas Chan, the NYPD’s chief of transportation. At the same time, police issued 1,154 civil summonses to riders and another 167 summonses to commercial business, despite de Blasio’s insistence that his e-bike crackdown would focus on businesses, not workers.
:evil:

NYPD’s E-Bike Seizure Initiative Does Not Extend to Queens, Cops Say:
https://queenseagle.com/all/2019/1/24/nypds-e-bike-seizure-initiative-does-not-extend-to-queens

Starts:
A spate of electric bike seizures by NYPD officers in Manhattan last week encountered intense criticism from safe streets activists and immigrants’ rights advocates, but the practice does not seem to extend to police precincts in Queens, the NYPD and angry advocates say.

The NYPD’s 10th Precinct sparked outrage when it posted a photo of two officers smiling next to e-bikes they had commandeered earlier in the day. E-bikes are illegal in New York City, but the City Council is considering a package of measures to restore e-bikes and pedal assist bicycles to full legal status.

“You spoke at our last Build the Block Meeting & we listened! Steady sector “B” observed an electronic bicycle around West 23 Street & 8th Avenue and took action! Remember, E-Bikes are dangerous & prohibited in New York City!” the 10th Precinct wrote on Twitter on Jan.17.

The tweet prompted a backlash from hundreds of New York City residents who criticized the NYPD for taking away the main mode of transportation used by delivery workers — primarily low-income immigrants — to carry food to people’s homes and offices.

10th+precinct+ebikes.jpg

:roll:

Blind stupidity still lives in NYC... :wink:

All NYC is able to do is (mental) masturbation with a thought for more than 10 years. It never goes anywhere... NYC politicans are wankers. They spend their times masturbating with ideas and never take action into anything. And then police officers take pictures of themselves with the conficated ebikes and wank around with their own pictures.

There is a reason why my ebike isn't in a picture with NYPD officers, actually two of my ebikes. :wink:

I'm in New York right now and e-bikes are everywhere. Many people use them for delivery.

I googled it and they now allow them here.

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/04/new-york-city-makes-space-for-e-bikes/557396/

Back