New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Ron Paul's Blimp said:
docdelete, see here:

https://www.eco-ebike.com/blogs/eco-cycles-instructionals/tsdz2programmingfromscratch

And also the opensource firmware: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki

Thread here: https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=93818

Many thanks - you saved me a lot of time there.

This thing with aliexpress seemingly dropping many 750w listings is scratching at the back of my head. It's like a situation where stocks have been wound down with no continuation expected. 2019 to see new versions? ;))

This thing with aliexpress seemingly dropping many 750w listings is scratching at the back of my head. It's like a situation where stocks have been wound down with no continuation expected. 2019 to see new versions? ;))

...I'm in the uk and if I search Aliexpress for 'TSDZ2 48v 750w' quite a few seem to pop up... :?

geofft said:

...I'm in the uk and if I search Aliexpress for 'TSDZ2 48v 750w' quite a few seem to pop up... :?

You know what, it does seem odd. For me the search results fell off a cliff yesterday. I /can/ see one or two today but not the dozens that were there. If I'd installed a chrome extension or something that blocked sponsored items (I've seen this with Amazon) then I'd understand it. I'm no noob but I'm puzzled.

Anyway, PSPower seems well-placed to help. I suppose I better bite the bullet before the end of March, just in case ;))
Just trying to make a shopping list of bits now - to save as much £££s as poss. Folk say the new firmware provides a startlingly better ride but I do wonder if I need to bother with all that mucking about with soldering and programming. Knowing my luck, there are too many points for failure in the process. I've reprogrammed my BBS02 but that was a doddle compared to this.

New stable flexible OpenSource firmware v0.17.0, get it here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike/releases/tag/v0.17.0

Thanks to all the developers, testers and other contributors!!

Changes from v0.16.x:
KT-LCD3:
- settable odometer
- trip distance function
- TM and TTM time measurement
- imperial units throughout the system
- saved menu state for all menus when power down
- implemented automatic fast increase/decrease of variables on configuration menus
- flashing time on menu number and variables is now short -- it is easier to see the values

Kisazul said:
Daught said:
I went back and I say your pics of the other cracked motor. I wonder what exactly causes the motor to crack.

1. In my case, the front non-drive side bottom bracket attachment ears hit the frame. I believe as the motor twists in the bottom bracket it causes the ear to push the motor out and ends up cracking the case. Did your ear also hit the frame ? I could build a bracket that prevents the motor from twisting.

2. The motor just exerts a lot of torque. It needs the rear attachment bracket to support it and distribute the force

The main question if the rear bracket only there only prevent the motor from twisting, or it is a critical support component? Considering how beefy it is, I am inclined to believe it provides support.
Hi. See my photos on page 114. I repair the body and drive after this almost 1000 km

hello, I had the same problem with the engine, the engine casing has cracked!
What have you used to weld the case?
Thank you

cascarabias said:
hello, I had the same problem with the engine, the engine casing has cracked!
What have you used to weld the case?
Thank you

Argon welding was used for the joint. Before that, I completely removed all the details: electronics, gears, motor. After welding, I collected everything, sealed it, processed it with sandpaper.

casainho said:
New stable flexible OpenSource firmware v0.17.0, get it here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike/releases/tag/v0.17.0

Fantastic ... planning to tempt fate (moving countries in two weeks) and flash tonight!

Thanks again for all of your hard work

Hi, Im having a problem flashing the LCD3. Everything was fine following along with jbalat's video. Was able to erase old firmware, download 0.17 firmware but when i try to "program all tabs" it I get:
Error : Verify failed at address 0x4000
Error : < DATA MEMORY verifying failed.
Error : < Operation aborted.
any help would be appreciated . thank you

GTrider said:
Hi, Im having a problem flashing the LCD3. Everything was fine following along with jbalat's video. Was able to erase old firmware, download 0.17 firmware but when i try to "program all tabs" it I get:
Did you erase unlock first?

casainho said:
GTrider said:
Did you erase unlock first?

Sorry, im not following. I erased the old firmware via option byte. I don't know what erase unlock is or how to do it. it was not in jbalat's video.

Just finished my 36v 15ah TSDZ2 project (Nuvinci 360 rear hub).

Going to put a few miles on it in standard form and see how it goes.

Read all 160+ pages and very interested in trying out the new firmware, will be deciding on which display to go for. Shame you can't use a PC to program the motor and keep the original screen but can't have it all!.

Really surprised there is no source for the connectors, for me it will be trying to get the new screen to plug into the orignal connector one way or another. Won't be chopping off the orignal screen connector though..

Did a few miles on mine last night and the Nuvinci is a really good match with the TSDZ2.

20190108-204724.jpg

Today is day 4 riding the Tongsheng tsdz2 52v 750w. Everythings been great until tonight. I noticed every now and then this evening I will hear the motor whirring louder than it should while not engaging. Lasts about 3 seconds than goes back to riding fine. This is my first night riding in temps below freezing so I'm hoping maybe that has something to do with it. Any help would be much appreciated!

If it has pawls in a clutch for a freewheel, then if they ahve grease on them they could stick down when the grease gets cold enough to become sticky.

keithmac said:
Just finished my 36v 15ah TSDZ2 project (Nuvinci 360 rear hub).

Going to put a few miles on it in standard form and see how it goes.

Read all 160+ pages and very interested in trying out the new firmware, will be deciding on which display to go for. Shame you can't use a PC to program the motor and keep the original screen but can't have it all!.

Really surprised there is no source for the connectors, for me it will be trying to get the new screen to plug into the orignal connector one way or another. Won't be chopping off the orignal screen connector though..

Did a few miles on mine last night and the Nuvinci is a really good match with the TSDZ2.

20190108-204724.jpg

Very nice, I also have a N360 on my Cargo bike with the TSDZ2 running the open source firmware. Really recommend switching to it, though you are correct you will have to make your own cable.

One point to watch out for with the Nuvinci - don't try to change under too much load, I forget to shift down before starting off one day and gave it too much of a twist with 500W going through it and managed to pull the cable out of the tiny barrel for the shift down direction. You can of course stop and manually move to a lower gear with that cable no longer engaged.

Shifting up under load (to a higher gear) is a bit more forgiving. I have heard of people putting over 1000W through these, though at high torque, low rpm the oil seals can go (ie dead hub)

Cheers

Nuvinci stepless IGH are perfect for mid-drives like the TSDZ2. Keep an eye out for the new N380x It is rated for 500W but early literature said it was designed for bursts of 1000W which puts it up in the BBSHD category. Fallbrook Tech went bankrupt in 2017 but rebranded as Enviolo. The N380x is found in their 2019 Sportive and Cargo groupsets. Sampling to manufacturers but will hopefully have general availability later this year. They may be moving entirely away from the N3x0 branding but the N380x is definitely in their newly branded Sportive and Cargo groupsets.

amberwolf said:
If it has pawls in a clutch for a freewheel, then if they ahve grease on them they could stick down when the grease gets cold enough to become sticky.

I hope that's it. It's happening more as the night goes on. Only while pedaling. Doesn't happen when I use throttle only. It almost sounds like an electric can opener for a few seconds. Then I stop pedalling and slowly pedal and then it will engage and then it's fine.

keithmac said:
Shame you can't use a PC to program the motor and keep the original screen but can't have it all!.

You can: https://github.com/qmarco/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-compatible-with-original-VlCD6-display

Created by forums user marcoq (he's been helping people in the thread at https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=93818&start=1550 tho casainho asked him to create a new thread, I don't see it yet)

This is what I used:

https://www.eco-ebike.com/collections/tsdz2-accessories-parts/products/extension-cable-for-tsdz2-speed-sensor

I used one end to solder onto the KT-LCD3 display so it can plug into the motor controller's display connector, and the other end to make a cable for programming the motor controller (you plug into the speed sensor connector when programming).

Yep the Nuvinci is a great smooth hub, I back off the pedals when changing ratios.

Great news that VLCD5 display is supported with computer to allow settings changes, will buy a programmer!.

Are all the wires included to the connector pins in that speedo cable extension?, not to bad price wise but shipping to UK may kill it.

If it's only a flashing cable I have to make I might try and make a connector.

I bought the one I linked to from that site and it had all 6 wires in it. To be clear, you're buying it basically for its connectors -- one male, one female. You'll use one to make a programming cable, and one to solder onto the KT-LCD3 (no need if you're using the VLCD5 obviously).

Ron Paul's Blimp said:
I bought the one I linked to from that site and it had all 6 wires in it. To be clear, you're buying it basically for its connectors -- one male, one female. You'll use one to make a programming cable, and one to solder onto the KT-LCD3 (no need if you're using the VLCD5 obviously).

Yep, will be handy to have both connectors if I decide to go for a screen later as well.

Might as well get a metal gear as well while I'm ordering!.

Planning on converting Dahon Vybe D7 to electric and from what i gathered around torque sensing is the most suited for my preferred style of riding. The main purpose of it is going to be 14 miles roundtrip for work and as a workout.

What I can't figure out from all the specs and pictures is if I'm going to be able to mount this motor to my frame at all because there is nothing on the bottom bracket for this motor to hold on to.

This is how it looks.

59157628dddca.jpg

My best guess is that the motor can be places in front of the mid drive shaft and it could rest against the front curved part of the frame in order no the block the seatpost from going down through the bottom hole.

hefest said:
Planning on converting Dahon Vybe D7 to electric and from what i gathered around torque sensing is the most suited for my preferred style of riding. The main purpose of it is going to be 14 miles roundtrip for work and as a workout.

What I can't figure out from all the specs and pictures is if I'm going to be able to mount this motor to my frame at all because there is nothing on the bottom bracket for this motor to hold on to.

This is how it looks.

59157628dddca.jpg

My best guess is that the motor can be places in front of the mid drive shaft and it could rest against the front curved part of the frame in order no the block the seatpost from going down through the bottom hole.
See the TSDZ2 wiki FAQ for ideas how to mount to frame, like how users did on similar frames for dual suspension bikes.

casainho said:
hefest said:

This is how it looks.

59157628dddca.jpg

See the TSDZ2 wiki FAQ for ideas how to mount to frame, like how users did on similar frames for dual suspension bikes.

Well thank you for the info. I'll probably have to get the tsdz2 kit to be sure if and how it can be fitted to my bike.
By the way, great work on OpenSource firmware.

Trying to find tsdz2 720W 48V with throttle and brake sensors on Aliexpress and two sellers have it, pswpower and ebird but non of them in German warehouses. Any ideas which other "reputable" seller I might look into?

Back