Ree95's Chaos Sport 48v 1000w Troubleshooting thread

Ree95

1 mW
Hi can you help I've got the chaos sport 48v 1000w which stopped working, when the charger is plugged in the battery level goes up to full straight away when it's taken off goes back down to low battery and the scooter don't move all lights come on, thankyou

Sounds like the battery needs to be replaced. It's probably SLA in there right now, and those dont' last long (especially if left discharged for any length of time). You can just replace them with new SLA of the same type, or you can go thru like in this thread and others and replace with Lithium of one type or another, which will give better performance and last longer, but will probably be more expensive to start with.

If it's already lithium, then the BMS in the battery has probably shut off the input to protect you from a fire due to damaged or defective cells. You would have to open the battery and measure the voltage of each cell or cell group in that case, and list them in your post, from most negative to most positive, so we can help you figure out if it is possible to repair, or worth it, or better to get a new battery.

Okay thankyou for the help, will do that and then hopefully someone will know, thankyou

Battries are okay, it could only be the controller now or the throttle, motor is okay

When you say "the batteries are ok", exactly what tests were done to verify this? Are the batteries SLA or lithium? What voltages are they at without the charger connected, and what voltages are they at while it is?

I ask because the symptoms you give would be a battery issue, if the battery was discharged during a ride, then the system stopped working during the ride, then the charger won't actually charge the batteries after the ride.

If the problem you are having is not what is described above, you should give an exact step by step description of what happened and when, and any behavior that was different from previous behavior, leading up to the problem.

What can happen is the batteries come up to a good voltage and stay there with no load OK but as soon as you hit the throttle, the voltage drops so much it causes the controller to cut off and reset. So it might look like the batteries are OK with no load but they can be bad under load.

Try to find a voltmeter you can measure the battery voltage with while giving it some throttle.

Yeah it seems like that as when I twist the throttle the battery level does go down then when I lose it the level goes back up so seems it's the battery but I'll get a voltage meter in the next few days to make sure

Do you know what kind of batteries they are?

With lead-acid batteries, you might improve them by doing an extended charge, like several days.

Yeah lead acid batteries, (6-DZM-12) so just keep the scooter on charge for how long? Thanks

I've left it on now, the battery shows full now when charger is taken out, before when I pressed the brake and the light came on the level went down then when I loosed the brake it went back up, it stops full now but if I push it and twist the throttle it seems to go down and then back up, can't do anything really untill I get a multimeter, any suggestions what I can do in the mean time? Thanks

I had one of these scooters on the cheap like yourself about 2 years ago, I used a sunwin 48-72v 1500w controller and 16s 16ah of mulitstar Lipo and it weighed less than stock and hit 48mph.
Word to the wise it speed wobbles and the front end drifts around I swapped the fork plates around to get the wheel further forward and slow it's steering down, I did have to redrill the disc brake holes but it did make it better at full speed.

Replaced the controller and it works now, but still don't charge up and the motor barely goes but does work, also does the same with the battery level goes down when throttle is twisted would this be my battries? Thankyou

Ree95 said:
Replaced the controller and it works now, but still don't charge up and the motor barely goes but does work, also does the same with the battery level goes down when throttle is twisted would this be my battries? Thankyou

Yes, sounds like a battery problem. If you measure the battery voltage during charging and when the motor runs it will give you a good idea.

It says 55.7v when on charge, when it's turned off it's 53.9v while it's on 45.7v but when throttle is added 40.1v hope this will be enough for someone to tell me what the problem is, also I've done the battries and they are okay they measure more or less what they should be and when all connect it makes the 48v, thankyou

It's going below the low voltage threshold and the controller knocks off, seems like the lead is dead of get yourself some cheap Lipo if you can look after them or get a generic 18650 pack with bms but be sure it can discharge the amps you need.
Lead is not worth replacing it's performance is obsolete.

Ree95 said:
It says 55.7v when on charge, when it's turned off it's 53.9v while it's on 45.7v but when throttle is added 40.1v hope this will be enough for someone to tell me what the problem is, also I've done the battries and they are okay they measure more or less what they should be and when all connect it makes the 48v, thankyou
That tells me your charger is working properly but the batteries are toast. Upgrading to lithium will be more expensive, but worth it in the long run and give much improved range and reduced weight. You might be able to fit a standard bike pack of some sort in the space if you are lucky.

Okay then, thankyou for the help/advice I'll have a look about and see what prices are, thanks again

Back