new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
From your description, the throttle seems to be the problem.
Try one of your spare throttles?

From your description, the throttle seems to be the problem.
Try one of your spare throttles?

Thanks. I will look for one. Not sure if I have a spare as a lot of builds but will look.

Only thing I still don't understand is the LCD display module which comes with the kit and turns power off and on and has three speed modes. low , medium and high.

Default setting is supposed to be high if the blue wires are not hooked up however it makes no difference at all if the blue wire is hooked up or not. The three speed settings do not work on the LCD display and there is absolutely no difference when I hook up 12S LiPo or 10S Lion. The motor shows no difference in power.

I can switch the throttle from easy street which has 35% more power with the new build to rule that out though.

What you are saying makes sense though as when I go to the e bikeling web site I only see one controller for 36 volts and 500 watts. That makes me suspect that they used a 250 or 350 watt controller for the new build as they might have run out of the 500 watt controllers that are matched to those motors.

I am really not sure but will definitely find out. Thanks.

LC out.

How do you know there is no difference? It may just be a bit too subtle to notice.

An ammeter on the battery would give you a better indication.

I've started playing with Arduino. It's a lot easier than I expected. And with the nano less than $3 shipped:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-USB-Nano-V3-0-ATmega328P-CH340G-5V-16M-Micro-controller-board-for-Arduino/381374550571?hash=item58cbb1d22b:g:ci0AAOSwNSxVAB3c:rk:1:pf:0

There's no excuse to not experiment and learn. (Mos sensors cost $3-30. An arduino alone is "blind")

You could conceivably build one yourself, that takes the throttle position as well as the amps being used. When you are below the limit, just replicate the throttle position signal (It can replicate voltage, and PWM, but not resistance, so should be able to drive brushless, but not brushed motors).

You could also use it to accurately measure speed, efficiency (How many watt hours used per kilometer), see instantaneous stats when climbing hills, and by comparison, see how much you are helping, or if you lost weight, or got drop bars to ride in a hunched position. etc.

Endless fun.

Originally I was thinking of just making a custom range management tool - measure how much power is being used, estimate remaining charge, etc. But you can get all sorts of modules, including accelerometers (Can do acceleration and quarter mile estimation/measurement), and voice recognition. So I was even thinking of making it specific to my voice only, and turn on the bike by me saying "Bike On", and if it detects motion without hearing that first, start an alarm.

There are also GPS monitors, so I could get a location sent to me, but I'm out of pins on the Nano for that, so would need to get a Pro, or even a Mega (since I'd need a 3G module as well).

All of this is small enough to fit inside most pushbike frames (as in literally inside the metal/carbon fibre pipes), let alone hide it in a motorcycle frame, so it would make a good security feature while either hiding it, or looking like it's a part of the electric bike.

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. It goes thru the snow and up the hill with some pedal assist.

We had a blizzard here about three days ago. 36 hours after the snow stopped falling I took a trip downtown with the new build.

I was very annoyed to see that most of the side streets had 1 to 3 inches of snow in many areas and even had to get off and walk several times so I did not wipe out.

When I asked someone downtown why all the roads were not clear I was told that it will rain tomorrow and that the snow will melt and is why they stopped plowing.

The thing is though all that melted snow will turn to solid ice tomorrow when the temperature goes back down to zero degrees. I guess they will need to put a lot of salt down to compensate for it.

As far as the performance of the little e bikeling motor it did just fine. It will probably last a long time with the lower power level and pedal assist than Easy street if I choose NOT to pedal assist.

However I have been checking google maps and Craig's list for the Cleveland Ohio area and it is mostly flat there. I do not see any sense in changing the throttle or controller at this time.

A train there from here is 76 bucks and they sell a large box to put a bike into. I will need to go there and measure the box and see if it will fit. I may have to take the front wheel and basket off and turn the handle bars or remove them as they could be too wide so I will need to look at that instead of the throttle and controller if I decide on taking a train.

I might order that gadget when I get settled up there to see how much power I am using but do not see an LCD or LED display. I also do not see how it hooks up. I am not familiar with such electronics but would be willing to watch a video or videos on it if you post a link. Thanks.

LC out.

How's the snow? I heard you had a few days where it didn't break -14*C. We've had a few days over 40*C, and they're hard. -14*C though is another matter entirely.

On the bright side, it's kept me indoors, so now I've finished the 144v battery, and am just waiting on the controller to arrive.

Had a few days where the roads were clear and drove the new build downtown. there is a blizzard happening now though. Probably wont be able to ride for about a week. Was downtown last night before it started snowing today.

Went down on my right shoulder about two weeks ago. Was coming home after drinking and was across the street from storage about a block from my house. Would not have mattered if I was sober or not. patch of ice was as slick as a skating rink. It was black ice on the right side of the road and a car was turning so could not avoid it. Was only going about 5 mph and the wheels just slid right out. Right rotater cuff is already an old injury re injured about a dozen times over the past 20 years. I was in pain about a week. The car actually stopped and asked me if I was alright.

It still has no power up hills and tops out at around 15 mph I think. Easy street has the same motor but on the front and is a 700c wheel and goes at least 25 mph and takes the same hills with a lot less pedal.

I have not changed the controller or throttle on the latest build yet. DA told me he thinks it is the throttle so will try that first. Just not been in the mood to work on anything.

This move has me really stressed out. I got less than a month to find a new place or will be living in the dark as no power here when my room mates move out.

Was a big riot here last night. I guess everyone was fighting after I left to go down town and the police were here for screaming and yelling.

I was downtown drinking and watching movies. Good thing as I might have killed a dude. I don't handle aggression well. The landlord wants them to move out before me as I brought them in. I can understand that but once they leave I am without power or heat.

I have to find a place and move first. I am too old to be a baby sitter. I need to get the hell out of here A.S A P. I do not wish to die an old man in a jail cell. Thanks.

LC out.

Sorry to hear about the drop. I've had only one drop so far (and hopefully ever), it was about 40km/h (25mph?), had some bruised ribs and inflammed tendons for up to 6 months, but no treatment required. Just a fair bit of pain. I was a lot younger too, so healed faster than you would, I guess.

Really hope you find somewhere to settle that's decent. The amount of crime and drama around your current place would drive me absolutely insane. My house is in the kind of place, where we went on holidays for 2 weeks, and accidentally left the front door open. Computer, TV, home theatre - All still there when we got home. The only down side we had was a squatter - An Indian Myna bird that decided our bedrooms made a nice nest.

Let us know where you end up. I'd be keen to take a virtual tour of the place, especially good riding spots. I've been "Golden handcuffed" (Offered a bonus to stick around for a few years), and I'm dreaming of travel, so would love to live vicariously. The bonus is big enough for me to take a year off at the end of it, if that's what I want to do, and I am seriously thinking of doing that - but not sure how to with kids in school. (Not really a fan of home schooling).

My projects haven't progressed. I've got a rare window of both energy and time to work on it, but the shipping is taking a bit longer than I had expected/hoped, even paying for express shipping. I have done all the wiring diagrams, to figure out how to keep the standard kill switch, tap the bike's brake switches to trigger regen, etc. I'm much more confident I can get this working, touching only 1, maybe 2 of the Australian Design Rules, meaning it will be easy (Easier at least) to register.

Anyway, hope your dramas and moving location go well. Sounds like you could do with a bit of stability and a good space to work on hobbies.

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns.

We got a bunch more snow. Also due to alcoholism and lack of ambition I sleep past 6 or 7 PM on most days now. Basically am fed up with my life and care very little about anything in the world outside these days.

The one person I go downtown to see drinks less and less as time goes on and claims his heart is failing. He also sleeps most of the day and has very little interest in life as well.

I am lucky if I go downtown once a week due to my friends failing health and the weather. I just play video games and watch TV basically and drink beer around or after midnight until about dawn and sometimes after.

I do plan on changing the thumb throttle that is on the new build. The more I ride the bike the more I believe DA to be right when he said it sounds like the throttle is the problem. It sticks a lot and can actually set it for cruise control because of that. I have to press it upwards to completely disengage the motor and it only responds at approx. 1/2 throttle.

My plan is to take the throttle off the Schwinn. The kit you sent Sunder as the rim is still slightly bent after I replaced the spoke so am not riding it until I can find a bike shop which will put it on a machine for 15 or 20 bucks. I can try that throttle on the new build as if I remember correct it worked perfect.

If that does not solve the problem with the lack of power then I still have the 36 volt 500 watt controller Dan sent me and by looking at it I think that all the wires will match up. I do not think the module which has the speed settings will hook up to it but the speed settings did nothing anyway so also suspect it could be defective as well.

The last time I rode the bike I was so drunk I don't remember much but do recall making it all the way up state street hill around noontime after about 16 Budweiser's I started drinking around midnight. McDonald's serves breakfast all day and ordered two sausage mc-muffins with no egg and two mc-double cheeseburgers.

I don't recall the trip back to storage and both my main 36 volt packs are down there now. I was there yesterday to make sure my bike was in my unit and locked up. lol. I still have to pay that bill this month. I really do not know how or where I am moving to for sure. I will just be glad when the move is finished. Thanks.

LC out.

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. Spring - Pleeeeease :p

Looking forwards to riding. Have not run the Turbo dual motor or the other 20" dual motor bike in a long time. Been at least two years since the first dual motor build. I also look forwards to building a huge 60 volt pack from used but tested to 85% minimum capacity. 100 cells all rated over 2,000 mAh. 2,500 to 3,000 mah New and all tested to > 2,000 mAh. 100 count minimum for a 16S pack. 16 * 6 = 96 so 100 count will be a 6P - 16S pack for 2,000 watts for dual motors or a 1,500 watt rear 48V direct drive for my next build.

My new PC build. It can run most games out there. One of my other hobbies when the weather is terrible and is no fun to ride an e bike. :mrgreen: Thanks.

LC out.

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 2,355
  • Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,353
Not a bad setup. Will definitely play FHD games on full detail.

One of my friends is getting a new PC. Looking at a similar build, but 1- 2 generations newer. Ryzen 2800 instead of 1800 and Radeon 580 instead of 380.

I'm more of an Intel Nvidia person myself. Less bang for buck, but higher total performance.

room mates are moving out this week or next and will be sitting here without heat or lights.

looks like the homeless shelter for awhile the way things are going.

LC out.

Anything we can do to help?

At least it's spring there now, though that far north, it's gotta be still really cold, right?

You ever thought about doing a bit of bicycle couriering on the side - either for a company like Uber Eats, or directly approaching local restaurants/businesses? It'd get you out in normal daylight hours, get a bit of exercise, a bit of extra money and you're still riding around enjoying your bikes.

Remember this story from last year? https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/good-news/this-college-student-was-walking-32km-to-work-so-his-ceo-boss-gave-him-a-car/news-story/0bd96d7fce4ec90c519487a257a6a687

Dedication overcomes a lot of disadvantage.

I don't think a delivery company will hire someone on an e bike. Not legal in ny. NY city mabye due to the heavy traffic e bikes are good for delivery if the cops don't stop you.

also when it pours down raining or ice and snow would not be able to do it. That happens very often in NY and probably Ohio as well. I am pretty much screwed.

Thanks though.

LC out.

Still around mate? What's your situation these days?

three days away from living on the street.

took the Currie down to the city mission for supper.

out of food stamps

You get SNAP on the 4th, right? I'd be happy to send you a Hannaford or Price Chopper gift card, but it might not arrive for a few days. I'll be at Price Chopper tomorrow. PM me with an address by afternoon and I'll fix you up. I also have an extra EZIP or two, but it looks like that isn't the problem!

What's keeping you from getting a room? Is it the bond, or the rental payments? Nothing available?

I'd like to see if I can help in some way.

Prices are high in the area and lack of transportation.

AS THE HUB MOTOR TURNS and the LiPo Fire Burns.

I went downtown to see my friend for the last time probably. My best friend. He was already drunk and we drank more and watched new walking dead and movies.

I tried to get a beer on Broadway but dont sell till 8 AM on Sunday. Another trip up Crane st. Hill with the Currie. I did not pedal as much and no recharge downtown with the 6P Samsung packs.

Went all the way up Crane st. Hill for the second time with not much problem and about 50 feet after the top when the RPMs just started increasing a car pulled out and I stopped and put my hand on the motor. barely luke warm.

750 watt gear reduction motor geared for approx 23 mph at 36 volts.

I posted the build and motor here a while ago. I think from what I saw tonight that that motor could handle 60 volts for a short time. 48 volt easy for 1,000+ watts with no problem. I had the old 44V LiPo packs hooked up last year and did 28 mph on the flat. I posted the video also last year.

That 750 watt gear reduction motor is an animal.

Thanks.

LC out.

https://www.facebook.com/InTheKnowInnovationAOL/videos/310890812941542/

Haven't those been around for a while? Thought I saw the ride on suit case a couple years ago.

How are you going? Found accommodation yet?

I've started the electric motorcycle project, but won't have a lot of time for it for the next 3 months.

paid 650 for the month of April. No heat or hot water though. A cord from downstairs runs a small electric heater on low setting when needed , a TV and my laptop and eel tank. No shower for three weeks now and probably another three weeks at least. :roll:

I was at storage and moving bikes around yesterday. The first dual motor build had the front basket come loose from moving around. I am thinking about a rebuild. It has two 24 volt controllers,

Untitled.png

page 158 to 160 covers that build. I was running the old LiPo packs. With the LiPos each motor was getting 6S - 2P - 22V LiPo. Total power was 1,033 watts for both motors. The 800 watt 36 volt motor @ 24V put out 533 watts in the front and the 500 watt rear motor 500 watts @ 24 volts.

Both 24 volt Chinese controllers are wired to a single thumb throttle. Some of the wires are unhooked and the wiring is a tangled mess. It has to go.

24 volt 500 watt- 2500 rpm motor - 11 tooth motor sprocket and the 80 tooth wheel sprocket - #25 chain. - rear.

36 volt 800 watt 2,750 rpm motor - 11 tooth motor sprocket and 60 tooth wheel sprocket - #40 chain. - front.

Both Chinese controllers will be replaced by the variable voltage controller with the built in pot. I believe that is rated at 2,000 watts. I will hook up the Genuine Samsung 10S - 3P pack in parallel with the 10S - 2P - LG pack I built and will run both motors at 10S - 36V - 5P and a whopping 1,550 watts and approx 31 mph top speed. :twisted: Thanks.

LC out

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns.

I worked on the new re build . All is needed is a 36 volt battery pack and my multi meter to make sure the kill switch is in the right position.

Camera is in storage also so hopefully can film any results.

Motor mounting will be tested and upgrades will happen when needed. This build was already proven to work under pressure with the video up Congress st. hill.

4/15/19

I had to dig for my multi-meter as I reinstalled the kill switch. It is hooked to a 50 amp fuse. 36V * 50 amps = 1,800 watts.
I used the multi-meter to make sure the kill switch was in the correct position. Down being off and up being on. I had to steal the parallel bullet cables I made from the old LiPo packs Dan sent so I could parallel both motors together.

I tested it and it worked. I don't have the cables to parallel the Samsung 36 volt 3P pack with the LG 2P pack. Also could not ride it very far as the tires are almost flat from sitting.

The way it was hooked up was a rats nest of wires. Two 24 volt Chinese controllers was wired to a single thumb throttle by 22 gauge speaker wire and small blue mini bullet connectors I got at advanced auto. They came unhooked moving the bike around and was a lot of unnecessary wires which were in the way of the battery pack. It is much cleaner now and will pump up the tires tomorrow if it is not raining and ride it around storage.

The brakes are not the best on that bike and also no pedal chain as the 80 tooth #25 sprocket is bolted to the rear freewheel on the rear. It is my off road e bike. I have three other bikes which I can pedal assist as well as the 1,000 watt hub motor Sunder sent. The rim on that needs to be straightened on a machine as there is a high spot in the wheel from where I hit a broken section of road about 4 years ago.

If I can find my camera I will do a video or when I move to my new apartment hopefully next month. Thanks.

LC out.

4/16/19

Went down to storage and pumped the tires on the dual motor 1,550 watt all wheel drive 20" death trap. :twisted:
I drove it around the storage yard a couple times then took it for a spin around the block. Mabye 25 mph before letting off the pot. I then brought it up the little hill to the back yard barbecue picked it up with one hand and spun both wheels fast so everyone would see it.

My friend Raymond who lives in the basement took it for a spin around the block. He is taller than me . about 5 feet 10 and about 270 but not a fat guy , just built. I showed him the kill switch , the pot. and the shitty front brake. I told him to be careful as it is a 30+ mph bike..

We were all about to place bets if he would come back in one piece and were waiting for sirens and an ambulance as he had a few beers. :lol:

He made it back about 10 minutes or a little less. He said he was keeping up with cars so must of pushed it to around 30 mph. He is younger than I and in better shape but said next time he will wear a helmet. :D

He also asked if I would sell it. I said 400 bucks but he has no real job and is an alcoholic so doubt he will be able to come up with that much money. He said it climbed the hill like it was nothing. 1,550 watts with 31 mph gearing is not bad at all.

I checked the chains front and back and were both good. It is my fun bike and should be off road only but am currently living in the middle of the City. Hopefully that will change. Thanks.

LC out.

That's really encouraging that you're now building solid 30mph bikes. Good on you.

Now if you could just monetise that some how - find customers who aren't alcoholics and can pay ;) That'd solve a lot of issues for you.

Have you put out feelers on Craigslist? See if you get any interest at any price points?

Most professionally made ones start around $800 for poor quality to an average of high $1000s. That's obviously for new, so if you're building into a second hand frame, you might still be able to get $5-600 if the frame is in good condition, and was originally a reputable brand, not a Walmart Bike Shaped Object.

Thanks.

Easy stret and the new build , both with the 500 watt e bikeling motors are the two I could probably get 500 each for but nobody around here has any money. Not when the average 1 bedroom apartment is 800+ a month.

The guy who rode the dual motor chain drive bike went and bought a gas powered bike for much less money. He asked me to look at it and I told him I know nothing about them and that the cops will take it away if he rides it on the street anyway as they make too much noise and are obvious. Police around here have better things to do then check bikes for electric motors but you can hear gas a block away.

For now I am keeping all five of my e bikes and eventually fixing the rim on the hub motor you sent me and putting it on the front of a Schwinn ranger and a second 1,000 watt hub motor for the back. That wont happen until after I move to a new place though.

I am about to break out the Turbo 20" bike with the 1,000 watt unite motor on the rear and 800 watt hub motor on the front. It also is a 20" bike and currently running at 36 volts * 2 battery packs and seperate thumb throttles. 750W + 533W = 1283 watts @ 36 volts. It will probably do about 24 or 25 mph but after I move and build a 13S - 48 volt battery pack it will be at 1,800 watts total and a solid 30 mph bike also.

However both the 20" dual motor bikes should have the brakes upgraded to disk if I were to sell them or ride them more often than once in a blue moon. The dual chain drive bike has no pedal capabilities as the 80 tooth sprocket is on the pedal side and hooked to the Unite motor 11T #25 sprocket. I don't know how I could ever hook a pedal chain to that so is an off road fun bike. Thanks.

LC out.

4/21/19

routine downtown trip with the Currie with the 750 watt gear reduction motor. The LG pack I built and soldered to the BMSs 10S - 4P. This pack that I hand built has probably done about 50 trips and 200+ miles and the chain drive 750 watt gear reduction motor has probably got around 500 miles on it.

I look forwards to someday building 13 and 16S packs and 40+ mph e bikes. My builds have been proven over time to work and every bike except for the e bikling motors are 30+ mph capable. I have 5 e bikes currently running and three can achieve 30+ mph with the right battery pack and once I get the 1,000 watt front hub motor Sunder sent on a machine to fix the high spot on the rim I will have four 30+ mph capable e bikes.

Thanks.

LC out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back