40-50 mph 75 mile range

billvon said:
So fix the Delmar first, or sell it and buy a $200 bike from Craigslist. That will get you to work.

Then save up to build an ebike. There are lots of options out there. But it's not going to give you what you think it can.

Right. The situation was apparently precipitated by not paying for insurance. That suggests a possible problem with either money management, availability or both. So now's the time to conserve money, not spend. Just fix up the bike you have. Save money. Re-boot.

That's a massive range that is not going to be possible on a regular bike frame.

https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulat...3_V&axis=mph&blue=Lbs&throt=79&frame=mountain
Here's a theoretical bike with almost 6kwhrs of battery in it.

Most bikes fit around 2kwhrs at the most, unless you get an EEB frame, then you're at 4kw-hrs..

This range doubles in a full recumbent and the watt hours needed are cut in less than half due to the aerodynamic advantage.

...or you can reduce your speed requirements in a dramatic way.

..or start with a motorcycle frame!

Evtom30 said:
Hello to all I am new to this forum sorry in advance if there is another thread that explains this, but anyway these are my ebike requirements,...........

The short answer, like all others have said so far, is this: you will not get that range and speed out of a normal bicycle conversion. Simply put, bicycles are not motorcycles. Normal bikes are not designed to take the weight needed to get you the speeds and range you want. I hope it doesn't sound harsh, but it is reality.

You have two choices, reduce your expectations, or go with a motorcycle. A custom build might get you parts of what you want, but not all of it unless it is an extreme custom build. Extreme custom builds cost money.

Sorry bro, but that is how it is.

My suggestion is to think slower with shorter range if you want to do a bicycle. A 1000w motor with a 72 amp controller and maybe 20ah of rc lipo will give you range and speed. It won't be as far as you want or as fast as you want, but it will give you very good range and speed as e-bikes go. Also, it won't make the bike super heavy incase something goes wrong and you have to pedal the bike home. Make sure the motor doesn't overheat and take care of the lipo so it doesn't burn your house down.

:D :bolt:

champagne taste on beer budget

kcuf said:
champagne taste on beer budget

More like methamphetamine taste on coffee budget. As in, what the OP wants isn't just unaffordable-- it's also illegal, unsafe, and inadvisable.

the op wrote Anyways thanks for all the input. Seems to me he made up his mind so the discussion should be done, JMO.

slacker said:
the op wrote Anyways thanks for all the input. Seems to me he made up his mind so the discussion should be done, JMO.
A general suggestion for this forum -

Since this question gets asked with great regularity (i.e. "I want a bike that can go 40+mph with a really long range!") perhaps we should have another sticky entitled something like "So you want to build a really fast ebike with a really long range? READ THIS FIRST!" That might cut down on repetitive threads and discussions.

slacker said:

My bad for skipping part of the first page when reading..

Many are coming with no clue about what can or can’t be done. We are not here to judge their motivations, only to tell them the facts and help those who are willing to find some realistic compromise.

billvon said:
Since this question gets asked with great regularity (i.e. "I want a bike that can go 40+mph with a really long range!") perhaps we should have another sticky entitled something like "So you want to build a really fast ebike with a really long range? READ THIS FIRST!" That might cut down on repetitive threads and discussions.

I tried that:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45204&hilit=noob+50mph
linking to the many existing discussions; didnt' work.

Generally people don't want to read stuff that isn't about them and their project specifically. Their questions are always new, and can't possibly have been answered previously.

amberwolf said:
I tried that:linking to the many existing discussions; didnt' work. Generally people don't want to read stuff that isn't about them and their project specifically. Their questions are always new, and can't possibly have been answered previously.

Human nature of laziness.

Hey guys, I have built a bike that is close real close to this thread that we are on. It is a calibike kit. It will do over 50 mph and do well over 40 miles per charge . I have 250 miles so far and no problems at all I love it. THE bike Is 84 volts full charge and the controller will go max current of 90 amps.

Teeman said:
Hey guys, I have built a bike that is close real close to this thread that we are on. It is a calibike kit. It will do over 50 mph and do well over 40 miles per charge . I have 250 miles so far and no problems at all I love it. THE bike Is 84 volts full charge and the controller will go max current of 90 amps.

For our information, how much does it weigh and how much did you spend on it? If you don't mind saying.

amberwolf said:
I tried that:

A valiant effort, but I would worry that the title "I'm a Noob and I Wanna Go 50MPH!" would result in it not being read. No one thinks of themselves as a noob. I can see a guy who has been riding MTB's for 10 years wanting to build a 50mph ebike, seeing that thread and thinking "well, I'm certainly not a noob - I've ridden hundreds of miles! I'll start a new thread to ask."

Teeman said:

at 50 mph?!? If so, that's around 70 wh/mile which means 40 amp/hours or more of battery at 72v. That's a big battery. Or maybe you get that range by traveling at a much lower speed.

wturber You are correct sir , I like traveling about 18 mph so I can peddle along with the Bike. If I go any faster I cannot keep up with the power of this bike . I am Retired and need the exercise .I installed it on a 26'monguse frame. Calibike has some really nice kits and Great customer service. It is nice to know if I need the speed and power it is there. I have had all the toys Money can Buy but this is wear I want to be . Just simple Fun.

Difficult to do without a link to your posts on their site about it (assuming there are any). A web search for the name you're using here (the only thing we have to go on from you) and calibike finds nothing relevant, and there isn't anything by that name on the calibike customer album page.

BTW, having a bike that can go 40 miles at 18mph while you're pedalling, is a totally different thing than a bike that can go 40 miles at 50mph, which is what your first post implies.

The former bike, if the rider is reasonably fit and pedalling enough the entire time could probably do it with a tiny 2-5Ah battery that would fit in a jacket pocket, or an underseat bag, and the motor could be a small light one.

The latter bike, regardless of rider, and depending on other requirements, could require a large battery up to 40-50lbs , and a much more powerful motor, that would probably be much larger and heavier.

I'm sure it wasn't your intent here, but since some ebike companies do this to deliberately mislead purchasers, who are then disappointed, we try to correct this kind of misinformation here, so that those coming here to find out how to actually do these things will find realistic help on how. :)

Not much to read about, anyway, on those I looked at. They all looked like an eBay feedback with an 80-character line length limit.

Teeman said:
chalo, You asked about my Bike , Go on the calibike Website and Read it .

There's only one bike listed on their website, and it doesn't match your description at all.

If you are still watching this thread EV tom, your situation is not unusual. lose the job, hard to keep up the insurance, but you gotta drive the thing till they take it away right?

Now you are in a situation similar to where I was when I was 19. In high school I had time to work, buy a truck, insure it, etc and no rent. But in college, I had to actually study, and had moved out of dads house. First year I kept the truck going, but when it blew its engine, no money. I ended up riding a bike a year, and saved for a moped. Rode that a year, and then the last two years of school( took me 5) I got a honda 125. Look for half a bike at a garage sale too, pay no more than 20 bucks. Meanwhile, nobody will steal the rusty wheel bike. 8)

The reality of the deal is you are pedaling now. On that Del Mar. New wheels is not too hard, especially if you can find a freecycle bike or two. just a cheap MTB, which will supply you with a fork that fits, and allow you to add 7 gears. Too add rim brakes in back though, will require you to weld on the brake mounts. Another option is to just relace the rear wheel with the aluminum rim from any cheap 26" bike wheel.

Next motorize it, cheap as you can. A front hub will do, if you have not added rear brakes yet. For a 2.5 mile ride, a very cheap, 36v geared motor kit is all you need to get there, and lead battery.

Its a journey dude, one step at a time. But by the time you can afford a fast electric bike, you need to make getting licence back your priority. Nothing at all will be gained by riding an illegal, home made, motorcycle with pedals, except never getting that license back. Once you get a license, just get something cheap like a used honda, and get the motorcycle endorsement. Then as you can afford it, get bigger and faster gas motorcycles.

Dude, I did the bike commute for 5 years to save money, and I did. I paid off $25,000 in debt, by not having a car payment. But If I could do it again, I'd just buy a cheap used motorcycle. Now my main transport is a 400 cc suzuki, and it costs me about 12 cents per mile. ALL my ebikes cost 25 cents a mile, and the ones that haul ass more like the same cost as a car!!!! Hauling ass electric is expensive, so do it only for the fun of it! Its the battery.

And face it, right now with 2 buck gas,, my suzuki is crazy cheap to ride, 60-70 mpg. For me, cheap to insure too, ( old fart rates) but it will still be cheaper than getting back into cars with your current record.

Teeman said:

A range of 40+ miles vs 75 miles doesn't sound "real close", unless the OP just wants to pedal the last 35 miles.

dogman dan said:
Hauling ass electric is expensive, so do it only for the fun of it! Its the battery.

Yeah. I'm sure there are some here who have the skills and shop support to get the expenses down, but that isn't most of us and even then, it takes time and money to get there. That small motorcycle is classic low investment transportation everywhere in the world.

Back