Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

After market, why would surron make that kind of stuff =)

With the help from Madin it looks like the next season for Light Bee will be very quiet!
I will start offering these quite soon. Dont ask questions yet, full disclosure will be made once we fully test this kit out!

Belt drive looks awesome! Hope the testing goes well. Honestly that was one of the biggest reason I haven't gone for a Surron for a daily ride, I really dislike chain noise. A 20s powered, Mobipus or ASI equipped supermoto surron with a silent belt drive should be a killer street setup. Keep us posted.

with regard to alta`s torque figures, i think you will find they are taken after a reduction and not at the rotor and so are totally meaningless.

OMG! Drool!!! Beautiful belt conversion!

Allex said:
After market, why would surron make that kind of stuff =)

With the help from Madin it looks like the next season for Light Bee will be very quiet!
I will start offering these quite soon. Dont ask questions yet, full disclosure will be made once we fully test this kit out!

That belt drive setup looks like the best Sur-ron mod I have seen to date! Well done

any reports or video yet?

I'm confused, the talk not too long ago was how a belt drive couldn't take the torque or the belt would not handle the power.

Now everyone is assuming it will work by slapping on a belt and sprocket? Its no big deal to make a sprocket and install a belt. Why is everyone assuming this will work?

Offroader said:
I'm confused, the talk not too long ago was how a belt drive couldn't take the torque or the belt would not handle the power.

Now everyone is assuming it will work by slapping on a belt and sprocket? Its no big deal to make a sprocket and install a belt. Why is everyone assuming this will work?

I've got ~100,000 miles of using what appears to be the same size belt pitch on a bike with 70hp and 116ft-lbs of torque on a bike that's 440lbs.

Belts are not weak, not-inefficient, and belts aren't a power bottle-neck. A belt can easily outlast a dozen chains on a motorcycle that has 10x more power than a Sur Ron. Similarly, a belt used in an application lacking the rigidity to keep the sprocket center-to-center distance fixed can snap immediately the moment the teeth skip.

If your plan for the bike is repeated big air jumps, stick with a chain because they handle the shock loads of landing with the tire spun up fast. If your plan is to just ride off road trails or street, a belt would be my first choice.

I've only disconnected the battery twice. I noticed the main power plug is rather difficult to get off. Would dielectric grease be appropriate?

didnt find it in the last 20 pages....

offroader, throw out the controller and put in your max-e =)

[youtube]UWwyYEtcyNQ[/youtube]

another maxe surron dude

[youtube]uNjwIMvvmfk[/youtube]

max-e surron in snow =)

[youtube]R9tmkG4m5Q0[/youtube]

Offroader said:

Zero Motorcycles were using same type of belt as we are using for the SurRon conversion.

Zero drive: 14mm 8MGT, 25T front (even option for 22T from what i know)
SurRon drive: 12mm 8MGT, 25T front

I believe that Zero motor had close to 100Nm and above 30Hp (Luke probably knows it exactly), so it should work very well for a stock SurRon and probably also well enough for bikes that got highly tuned.

btw: farfle is using same type of belt on his electric ultralight 8)

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89043#p1298474

While the weather is rainy here, I've been busy working on a few things. I installed a hinge at the rear of the seat made from an old door hinge that I cut, bent and drilled. The front is held down by a really strong magnet that grabs a piece of steel bolted to the front seat bolts. The ends of the bolts stick out past the nuts enough to engage the holes in the frame so it doesn't slide around. Between the frame members, I wedged in a plastic box that came from an old power brick. This is just big enough to hold the tool kit and my registration papers. This raises the seat by about 2cm, which I can use since I have long legs.

Img_1021A.jpg

Also working on a secondary battery that rides on the rear. There is a piece of aluminum "GCX" channel bolted to the sub frame that holds the seat. There is a piece on the battery frame that slides into the channel for quick release. The pack will be split between the two Pelican cases and have a total of 16s, 12p of some old Panasonic DA cells I've had lying around for years. This should approximately double the capacity and also double the amount of current I can pull without tripping the BMS.

View attachment 4

Img_1025A.jpg

View attachment 2

Img_1023A.jpg

The secondary pack will be in parallel with the main pack ahead of the "Air Switch" circuit breaker. Connection will be via 8ga wire and a pair of XT150 connectors. The secondary pack will have a single port BMS so I can charge both packs at the same time using the stock charger and charge port.

Img_1028A.jpg

If this all works out, I should have about 50 miles of range and have the ability to run 2x more power. The pack is still under construction but I hope to get it up and running soon. The secondary pack won't be good for serious off road riding but is easily removed in case I want to catch some air. For the street and more sedate trail riding, I think it will work wonders.

Merlin said:
didnt find it in the last 20 pages....

offroader, throw out the controller and put in your max-e =)

I may do this if there are no controllers coming out in the next few months since it seems the max-e works well with the Sur-Ron. Plus I get BMS and simplified charging.

It may also make sense to just fabricate a battery case that fits inside the frame and build a new battery pack. I can build a very good pack in a tiny space as that is what I did with my hub bike.

I'm hoping that there will be aftermarket controllers and battery cases specifically made for the Sur-Ron coming out in the next few months.

litespeed said:
So I guess I haven’t been keeping up with the thread.....yours is street legal?

Tom

I was able to get a moped registration for it. I added brake lights, turn signals and mirrors so it appears to have the right equipment. Registration requirements vary considerably from state to state.

So where your at what does “moped regestation” let you do as far as speeds and trails? Insurance and motorcycle helmet?

I like cruising around low speed.....20 to 30 mph and see all the sights. ‘Slow down and smell the roses” so to speak. I wonder if they will ever ship the EU street legal one to us?

Tom

litespeed said:
So where your at what does “moped regestation” let you do as far as speeds and trails? Insurance and motorcycle helmet?

I like cruising around low speed.....20 to 30 mph and see all the sights. ‘Slow down and smell the roses” so to speak. I wonder if they will ever ship the EU street legal one to us?

Tom

See my comment at the top of the page. Not affiliated with them. From what I've seen this price is the lowest in the EU for road legal ones. Found it in this list. https://www.sur-ron.rocks/haendler/

saw a couple of interesting things on the inner webs..

Sur-Ron with wider rear swingarm and other mods from sur-ron-italia.it :

sur_ron_italia_article_9-550x370.jpg

sur_ron_italia_article_3-498x370.jpg

sur_ron_italia_article_4-498x370.jpg

https://electricmotorcycles.news/sur-ron-italia-competizione-concept-by-gb-e-moto/

litespeed said:

Tom
In CA, moped max speed is 30mph, must have insurance and motorcycle helmet. Not legal on most bike trails. Also, moped definition says max 4hp. The Sur-ron in EP mode is pretty close. Moped registration is one time fee, no annual renewal. There are a few paved bike trails where mopeds are permitted around here. Mostly along side the freeway where there is no other path. Beyond that, you can ride about anywhere a motorcycle can go except the freeway.

Back