New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Another "clicking noise" ??
Im sure the answer is in this thread somewhere, but searches have not turned up anything like this ..
Low km drive ..<< 100 km .48v , and .working fine last time used.
After a month or so of no use, i noticed that the drive "jammed" momentarily when movening the bike backwards ( no battery connected)..it never did that previously.?
Trying with power on the momentary reverseing jamming still occurres... And when ridden under power there is a continuous clicking noise from the motor...again , not present before storage.
My gut feel is this id the roller clutch in the blue gear partially jamming or such, but if anyone has similar experience, some feedback would be appreciated before i tear the drive apart.
Thanks

Hillhater said:
Im sure the answer is in this thread somewhere, but searches have not turned up anything like this ..
After a month or so of no use, i noticed that the drive "jammed" momentarily when movening the bike backwards ( no battery connected)..it never did that previously.?
Trying with power on the momentary reverseing jamming still occurres... And when ridden under power there is a continuous clicking noise from the motor...again , not present before storage.
My gut feel is this id the roller clutch in the blue gear partially jamming or such, but if anyone has similar experience, some feedback would be appreciated before i tear the drive apart.
Thanks

I had that problem too, difficult pushing the bike backwards and it was indeed the blue gear. I discovered this when I had to replace the gear and suddenly I was able to easily push the bike backwards again.

HI!

I have the coaster version of the Tongsheng TSDZ2 and gets a kick from the cranks when releasing torque too fast.

It seems that this is because the controller/firmware is for the non-coaster version. Right? What to do?
Can I flash the controller to the "coaster-version-firmware" or can I solve it with the FOS-firmware?

Regards
David

samuelsson87 said:
HI!

I have the coaster version of the Tongsheng TSDZ2 and gets a kick from the cranks when releasing torque too fast.

It seems that this is because the controller/firmware is for the non-coaster version. Right? What to do?
Can I flash the controller to the "coaster-version-firmware" or can I solve it with the FOS-firmware?

Regards
David

I see you posted this in multiple forums. For future reference, this is the best one for questions like this. I will answer here as well as this is the more general forum.

As sometimes happens with TongSheng it appears that your controller got flashed with the regular firmware instead of the coaster brake firmware either at the factory or later. The correct controller has a"BK" next to the part number for coaster brake. So you can buy a coaster brake controller or find the firmware and flash it per this site or do the FOS firmware per this site. Any of the above would fix your problem. Before I knew about this issue I put a regular controller on a coaster brake motor and experienced exactly what you describe. :)

How many volts is your motor? I may be able to get the firmware for you.

casainho said:
New stable flexible OpenSource firmware v0.17.0, get it here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike/releases/tag/v0.17.0

Finally managed to install this. Came from .14-2. Had an interesting issue where I couldn't get more than 70-80W out of the motor, even with assist setting of 4x my effort. I then reset all settings via the display option and this appeared to resolve (either the reset did, or not setting up SOC).

Also it appears (only have ridden a couple of km's with the new firmware) that I am getting 1:1 assist on default assist level 1 (which should be 0.5). Will have a play on the way home and see.

Cheers

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind ;)

Ok, thanks for the clearification. I have the 36V and the coaster firmware would be great! Can I install that with the vlcd-5 or do I need to do the same procedure as for the FOS-firmware? How hard is it to replace the controller?

Regards
David

Rydon said:
samuelsson87 said:
HI!

Regards
David

I see you posted this in multiple forums. For future reference, this is the best one for questions like this. I will answer here as well as this is the more general forum.

As sometimes happens with TongSheng it appears that your controller got flashed with the regular firmware instead of the coaster brake firmware either at the factory or later. The correct controller has a"BK" next to the part number for coaster brake. So you can buy a coaster brake controller or find the firmware and flash it per this site or do the FOS firmware per this site. Any of the above would fix your problem. Before I knew about this issue I put a regular controller on a coaster brake motor and experienced exactly what you describe. :)

How many volts is your motor? I may be able to get the firmware for you.

mctubster said:
casainho said:
New stable flexible OpenSource firmware v0.17.0, get it here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike/releases/tag/v0.17.0

Finally managed to install this. Came from .14-2. Had an interesting issue where I couldn't get more than 70-80W out of the motor, even with assist setting of 4x my effort. I then reset all settings via the display option and this appeared to resolve (either the reset did, or not setting up SOC).

Also it appears (only have ridden a couple of km's with the new firmware) that I am getting 1:1 assist on default assist level 1 (which should be 0.5). Will have a play on the way home and see.

Cheers

I have done some more testing. I set assist level 1 to 0.2 and I seem to get approx 50% motor power to 100% human power. Assist level 2 is set to 0.5 and I get approx 1:1 motor:human power.

Have I misunderstood how the assist calculation works or have I missed another setting?

It also feels to me that the human power measured is very high. If I had to guess I would say 2x my actual input. Is this related to the scaling of assist above? Is there any kind of debug mode where I can get some logging?

Thanks a lot
Steve

btw, shouldnt the walk assist work if the controller is the non-coaster version? Because it doesnt... :roll:

Rydon said:
...As sometimes happens with TongSheng it appears that your controller got flashed with the regular firmware instead of the coaster brake firmware either at the ...factory or later. .

Quick question that I don't see an answer to here. I am getting ready to order a 48V750W.

Is there any reason to order from a domestic supplier, like Luna, instead of AliExpress?

I order a lot of stuff from AliExpress and am comfortable with them. that being said, are there any prefered AliExpress vendors? If not from Luna or AliExpress, any other preferred venders?

AF7JA said:
Quick question that I don't see an answer to here. I am getting ready to order a 48V750W.

Is there any reason to order from a domestic supplier, like Luna, instead of AliExpress?

I order a lot of stuff from AliExpress and am comfortable with them. that being said, are there any prefered AliExpress vendors? If not from Luna or AliExpress, any other preferred venders?

I was trying to find the answer to this Question as well.
No sure what extra Luna had to there version of the motor. They had the following descriptions
* Special high performance edition made for LUNA
* Reinforced motor mount to prevent motor flex

I ended up Ordering mine from PSWpower
The price was pretty good and they had free shipping to Canada
I got the motor within a week, which was very good coming from China.

I haven't install it as yet, still trying to see where I should order a battery from. PSWPower or Luna.
I'm a little more concern about the battery quality, then I was with the Motor. I figure the motor are all from the same factor/company.

cafu02 said:

I haven't install it as yet, still trying to see where I should order a battery from. PSWPower or Luna.
I'm a little more concern about the battery quality, then I was with the Motor. I figure the motor are all from the same factor/company.

I actually have a Luna 48V battery already. It was off a previous e-bike when that bike was stolen. I also suspect that the motors are pretty similar.

Rafe said:
Hillhater said:
Thanks

I had that problem too, difficult pushing the bike backwards and it was indeed the blue gear. I discovered this when I had to replace the gear and suddenly I was able to easily push the bike backwards again.

I have also difficulties pushing backwards but not clicking noise and only when battery and display on.

AF7JA said:
cafu02 said:

I actually have a Luna 48V battery already. It was off a previous e-bike when that bike was stolen. I also suspect that the motors are pretty similar.

Yah for sure
Donno if the Premium is worth it fro other dealers
Maybe for the support or satisfaction if you ran into any issue

Hello Casahino! the other motor is broken. I bought a new engine, to install the v.17, is it the same as with the previous versions?
Thanks

cafu02 said:
No sure what extra Luna had to there version of the motor. They had the following descriptions
* Reinforced motor mount to prevent motor flex.
As long as there is no (proved) explanation of what makes it "high performance" or unique in any other way, those statements should be taken with a grain of salt in my humble opinion.
Why invest time and money in improving a product without making some use of deserved bragging rights?
I've searched around on their site but didn't find any info of what is better on their version.

knutselmaaster said:
cafu02 said:
* Reinforced motor mount to prevent motor flex.
As long as there is no (proved) explanation of what makes it "high performance" or unique in any other way, those statements should be taken with a grain of salt in my humble opinion.
Why invest time and money in improving a product without making some use of deserved bragging rights?
I've searched around on their site but didn't find any info of what is better on their version.

Hey
Was thinking that as well. Din't find any info on what was better.
They did add a sticker to the side.
Would be nice to see what was changed, It's hard to justify playing so much more if is the same product.
As for the battery, that may be a different story, all cells are not created Equal-
I'm Trying to research on where to get a good 48V 14.ah pack for this setup.

When riding downhill it is ok to stand on TSDZ2 pedals like this ? Is crankset massive enough ?

I know that some cheaper cranksets are weaker and will bend in the long run (my weight is 210lbs).

Do you think that TSDZ2 is suitable for my needs ? More details here : https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98258

Rvs4 said:
amberwolf said:
If it has pawls in a clutch for a freewheel, then if they ahve grease on them they could stick down when the grease gets cold enough to become sticky.

I hope that's it. It's happening more as the night goes on. Only while pedaling. Doesn't happen when I use throttle only. It almost sounds like an electric can opener for a few seconds. Then I stop pedalling and slowly pedal and then it will engage and then it's fine.

Hi, can you help me find the freewheel? I think mines playing up as the motor doesn't always engage straight away when I pedal.

This thing is nowhere to be found in 48V 750W version. Aliexpress returns only two items in search for it. What's happening? Is the thing discontinued?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the precious information on this thread. I have ordered a tsdz2 350W with coaster brake + a bottle style battery with 36V 13ah that I installed on my Bergamont Sponsor N7 (City/Trekking German Bike with Nexus 7 internal hub), I'm very impressed by the results after installing it I went for a 30km ride it is so smooth, you feel like you have Superman legs :) I like the progressive assistance, it really feels natural and the fact that I can still exercise by switching off from time to time assistance it works great. Better purchase of the year so far :)

I have a couple of questions though, to make sure I make things right to not break anything :
One should never start to ride in a high gear and the 4th assistance level going up hill, which is logical that puts too much stress on the motor, but is it still ok to ride progressively until reaching the highest gears and assistance up hill to reach 45km/h for a few minutes or better to avoid that? (For info I have a 19t back and 42t front) I just want to know what are the limits to not cross in order to keep the blue plastic part and motor in general in good condition.

Cable management : in order to get a clean installation I want to cut the cable of the motor (to battery) as it is way too long and put some XT60 connectors on both ends. Do you think it's a good idea or could void the warranty. For the moment I just turn it around the frame so doesn't look great.

Also will it harm the motor using assistance 4 at low RPM? (Cruising basically, not being in a hurry)

I've seen some pictures online of an aluminum plate to put under the motor for protection against mud /rocks etc. Did any of you order something similar?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 1547846160369.jpeg
    1547846160369.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 3,256
  • 1547846157420.jpeg
    1547846157420.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 3,256
Here is how to wire an Open Source system with
  • Only one splice
  • Brakes and throttle
  • Waterproof Connectors
  • Connectorized KT-LCD3 display for easy firmware flashing

Here all unplugged
DSC00378 annotated.jpg

All buttoned up
DSC00380.jpg

The one splice cable info is at
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&p=1430679#p1430679
All the connections and color codes in that post work, throttle and brakes switches function

The KT-LCD3 Connectorization info is at
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&p=1434902#p1434902

You have to be a bit careful buying the KT-LCD3, they don;t all have the same connectors.
  • One I bought from BMS Battery does not have the green waterproof connector
  • One I bought from PSWpower has the waterproof connector and an extension cable
  • One I bought from Topbikekit has the waterproof connector but no extension cable (not needed if you do the one splice cable)

Here is the only cable splice in the installation
DSC00379.jpg

I have this play on the axle : moving the cranks forward to the back and vice verca, I have a coaster brake version of the motor.
Is this a normal play ?!

Video :

https://youtu.be/-2naUz4JZKE

Thanks

Back