Queen Battery QB26800 6800mAh 20A - the big guy!

thunderheart

100 W
Original article: https://www.thunderheartreviews.com/2019/01/queen-battery-qb26800-6800mah-20a-big.html

26800 is a new format of cylindrical cells. It means 26mm in diameter and 80mm in length. Queen Battery QB26800 is rated at 6800mAh and can be discharged at up to 20A continuously.
225620_original.jpg

The battery was bought from Queen Battery which is my reliable supplier of genuine cells and tested with ZKETECH EBC-A20 and a self-made battery holder. It's a PC-connected battery tester supporting 4-wire measuring and discharging at up to 20A.
87638_original.jpg

I've used version 3.0 of my battery holder based on 0.5mm thick pure copper terminals
210421_original.jpg

209931_original.jpg

I've followed all the prescriptions of the IEC61960-2003 standard concerning battery's capacity measurement. Before each discharging cycle the battery was charged at standard charge current mentioned in its datasheet to charge end voltage. Before each discharging or charging i've held a 1-1.5hr pause. The environment temperature was 23.0-24.5°C. To be sure in results i've done each test minimum twice (usually 3-4 times).

Queen Battery QB26800 6800mAh
The cell is marked as QB26800 6800mAh 3.7V. No data about production date or batch number.
226409_original.jpg

The main specifications from QB26800's datasheet*:
Capacty: 6800mAh
Nominal voltage: 3.6V (on the battery there is a 3.7V notice)
Standard charge current: 6.8A (1C)* (i charged at 5A, which is the max charge current of my tester)
Maximum charge current: 13.6A (2C)
Charge cut-off current: 340mA (0.05C)*
Charge end voltage: 4.20V
Max continuous discharge: 20.4A (3C)
Max pulse discharge: 34A (5C) for <30s
Discharge cut-off voltage: 3.0V*
AC impedance at 1KHz: ≤10mΩ*
Weight: 121±3g
*data from datasheet version available at the moment of testing.

Measured initial DC IR at 6.8A in fully charged condition was 16±0.3mΩ

Measured weight of the tested cell was 116.18g
226186_original.jpg

Capacity test results:
225905_original.png

Pay attention to the discharge cut-off voltage - it's 3.0V* while the majority of cylindrical Li-ion cells' end on 2.5V or 2.75V.
At 0.2C (1.36A) QB26800's capacity appeared to be noticeably higher than 6800mAh - it's 6930mAh. The curves look good and smooth. At 20A the capacity was still above 6200mAh and the energy more than 20Wh.
Of course the results could be higher if it was discharged down to 2.5V but once the manufacturer says cut-off is at 3.0V i have to use that number.

The cell's length could be a problem for those who are going to charge it in a charger but i think these batteries will mostly be used in battery packs so the length is not a problem.
Look at it in comparison with 21700 and 18650 cells:
225131_original.jpg

224781_original.jpg

Update!
The test was done using the very first version of datasheet available at the moment but later it was updated twice and here is a table with differences between datasheet versions:
284067_original.png

Here is the video version of this review:

Check out my YouTube channel for batteries, chargers and other stuff reviews.
I've launched my blog where you can find all my reviews in one place. Every new test/review will be first published on YouTube and in the blog. I'll be happy to see new subscribers, comments, suggestions and just your thoughts.

Great technical review. Bulk sources?

And I guess in this space when people say "lithium ion" as if it is specific chemistry, one should just assume it's LCO / LiCoO2, Lithium cobalt oxide like most 18650?

Sorry I'm a noob wrt cylindricals, DIY battery assembly.

And I assume you're happy with that ZKETECH EBC-A20 ? do you know of as good but higher capacity? 20A is a long time to wait testing 180+Ah prismatics.

So far looking at chargers with regenerative discharge like PowerLab and 4010-Duo.

Needs to work with LFP and lead banks.

If this is a derail, please post here, and apologies

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2406395-An-effective-variable-load-automatic-LiPo-discharger/page31#post40949671

Thanks john61ct! Under "Li-ion" i mean 3.6/3.7/3.8/3.85V Lithium cells but sometimes people refer to 3.2/3.3V LiFePO4 as Li-ion too.

john61ct said:
And I assume you're happy with that ZKETECH EBC-A20 ?
Yeah, i am))

litespeed said:
So what was the cost for this battery at today’s rates?
Hi Tom! A guy bought 126 of them for $4.45 each including shipping to USA. Contact Queen Battery for a pricelist.

thunderheart said:
Under "Li-ion" i mean 3.6/3.7/3.8/3.85V Lithium cells but sometimes people refer to 3.2/3.3V LiFePO4 as Li-ion too.
Yes they are, it's just an umbrella term for dozens of different chemistries, each with often wildly varying characteristics and usage / care protocols.

So if anyone knows which specific one these units are, that's important to know.

And also on larger-capacity load testers, would be appreciated.

Energy density wise, i think the best comparison is to a 30Q.

QB26800..
209whrs/kg at 1A
187whrs/kg at 10A

Compared to samsung 30Q..
234whrs/kg at 1A
215whrs/kg at 10A

I like the cell format a lot. For a wimpy 250w bike, you could get away with 1P for short distances.

This cell clearly has the high temperature capable materials in it, which is why they rate it all the way up to 20A, where you'll get 3.3v nominal and turn 19% of the cell's stored energy into heat. That's quite bad.

This is typical for no-name cells.. they do not reach the power or energy density of big name makers.

It's also because this is such a massive cell which can handle the heat.

A smaller cell with the same capacity and power output would not fare so well.

Wow amazing capacity but I'm pretty sure Tesla has done all the engineering to determine the best battery size for multiple cell packs. I can see this being useful in flashlights or single battery operations, not necessarily an entire battery pack. Plus I think with the high discharge rates I real something that you shouldn't go above 21700 because the internal heat is beyond the external surface area enough to sufficiently cool the battery and prevent damage.... Just a few thoughts.

Nice tests.

Philaphlous said:
Wow amazing capacity but I'm pretty sure Tesla has done all the engineering to determine the best battery size for multiple cell packs. I can see this being useful in flashlights or single battery operations, not necessarily an entire battery pack. Plus I think with the high discharge rates I real something that you shouldn't go above 21700 because the internal heat is beyond the external surface area enough to sufficiently cool the battery and prevent damage.... Just a few thoughts.

Nice tests.

its an interesting cell, I kind of share the view of heat in fat cells. but look at the internal resistance 10mohms. if you do a 7amp discharge 500x it has 90% capacity left. so that's good but its almost 2x as heavy as a 21700. 2-lg m50t would blow it away although its waaay cheaper than buying 2-21700 cells. ive been looking for a cell like this for a solar/electric/boat 30p@7amps could supply 200 amps/200ah. 48v is 13s30p
390 cells = $1950 usd. for a 100lb battery that can deliver 5000 watts

I got the data sheet on this cell, it shows different stats, its 20mohm not 10mohm. 6.8a/ 1c charge/discharge 500x is 80% capacity not 90%.
at 3.4a/0.5c charge/discharge 500x is 90% capacity. still a cheap battery though
http://queenbattery.com.cn/our-products/684-qb26800-li-ion-battery-cell-qb-26800-new-model-6800mah-30a-37v.html

goatman said:
I got the data sheet on this cell, it shows different stats, its 20mohm not 10mohm. 6.8a/ 1c charge/discharge 500x is 80% capacity not 90%.
at 3.4a/0.5c charge/discharge 500x is 90% capacity. still a cheap battery though
http://queenbattery.com.cn/our-products/684-qb26800-li-ion-battery-cell-qb-26800-new-model-6800mah-30a-37v.html

If those datasheet numbers are true , I'd buy those in a heartbeat. They're very reasonably priced in modest qtys.

Well longevity is one data point that really needs member testing.

But 1C rates likely don't inspire too many among those circles?

its of no interest to me as far as ebikes. but if you look at marine 48v 200ah and see prices like $8to$10 grand in usd. $2g usd is cheap, half the batteries of 21700 or 18650 equals half the hardware $$$ to assemble also. the Liitokale 26650 5000mah is interesting at 7amps or less, I think it might perform better than a 50e. I was going to test the 26650 at 7 amps, what im really looking for is a battery with a decent cycle life at 7amps that I can swap between a boat and an ebike and charge by solar. I can build 10- 13s4p 26650 packs gives 200ah so that's 520 cells at $7usd is $3650. depends what I can get into Canada at a reasonable price. ill see if I can order one of the qb

john61ct said:
Well longevity is one data point that really needs member testing.

But 1C rates likely don't inspire too many among those circles?

For the kW+ riders, probably not. For the run of the mill 500w-750w bikes , they'd make a good replacement for those stupid priced 13-15ah sh*t bricks .

Being better than something known to be grossly overpriced, of very poor quality or known to be fraudulent, is not a high bar is it.

I'm not saying they may not be fantastic for people that are on a budget and don't need much power density.

Whether they actually are or not, remains to be seen, when they've been tested for longevity

here in Canada its tough getting a battery across the border, our dollar is in the tank, takes a $1.40 to get 1 usd and then when it hits the border our govt is really greedy. last purchase I bought from the USA was $380 usd from amazon/com cost me $775cad delivered to my door using free prime shipping. the $100 battery tester used in this thread, cost me $200lol.
I bought a mnke 26650 5000mah for testing, I think it was $5.65 but after shipping was $20, its a no name but I can get it cheap.

I don't know if you know of this site but you can compare the test results of batteries against each other. check it out. this is a 40t against a 26650. you can change the amps/multiple amps. I just found it, its fun

https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common26650comparator.php

john61ct said:
Being better than something known to be grossly overpriced, of very poor quality or known to be fraudulent, is not a high bar is it.

I'm not saying they may not be fantastic for people that are on a budget and don't need much power density.

Whether they actually are or not, remains to be seen, when they've been tested for longevity

You're absolutely right about that sir. I'm going off of a lot of assumptions. They could very well be hot garbage.

Queen Battery wont sell samples/singles,i emailed them to buy and get one sent to me for testing and a quote for 400 cells shipped to my location. im not going to buy 400 batteries from someone who wont sell me a battery for testing.

Because the actual shipping cost is way more than the value.

Many companies make shipping look cheap for marketing purposes, need a minimum qty to break even on that.

So what is their minimum order?

Back