Have you been in the presence of a famous person?

markz

100 TW
Road Hammers Bassist, his name is Chris.
Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters was staying at the Arts hotel in Calgary, a few blocks away from the stadium.
Dustin Paxton, now a dangerous offender in Canada.

My brother saw maybe met, Steven Tyler at the Hyatt and Jericho wrestler.

Yes.. when i spent time in Los Angeles, they were a dime a dozen. I decided to leave 'em alone because the probably get harassed all the time and didn't want to contribute to that problem.

"in the presence of"?

Sure, been to a lot of science fiction conventions, and met or was in the room (or hallway with) various writers, artists, actors, sfx people, etc. Sometimes ended up talking with some them for various amounts of time, sometimes in groups (usually at the Gallifrey conventions in LA around the turn of the century).

Some of the congoers themselves are rather famous, within fandom itself, sometimes within multiple fandoms.

Even I became slightly famous locally here in Phoenix and in LA, for bringing my music equipment (keyboards, computers, speakers, etc) and playing in the consuites, etc.

Last century, the club I used to go to meetings of would sometimes get to take main guests (usually actors from Star Trek) to dinner, and talk for a couple hours (or more). At the age I was then, it was pretty nifty. Nowadays, they're all just people to me.

One of my telescopes used to belong to an SF writer.

I recently did some work for Mythbusters. I set them up with a high powered surgical laser to test whether it could ignite fart gas and start a fire.

Myth confirmed.

I work with famous doctors all the time but they are not really celebrities.

That's amazing! I love Adam Savage, ultimate nerd-Spawn and fabricator/engineer.

I've only met Drew Lynch, Steve Earle, and Radney Foster. Great performers all.

As far as pointing a camera at someone, George Takei hosted shows for the City of Los Angeles. He was a great, regular sort of guy. Huell Howser also did, he tried to be a good guy, but. . . . Then there was Vin Scully, which was an amazing few minutes of him volunteering to talk to us when we were at Dodger Stadium, just in case we were afraid to ask. (Are you kidding? Afraid doesn't cover it. . . .)

But are celebrities always celebrities? There was this good looking woman around a few times taking an extraordinary interest in me in that she really shouldn't have noticed me. So when I finally was off in private with her I found out plenty of other guys knew who she was if I didn't. Dang, she hadn't gotten onto 'Baywatch' or anything, how was I supposed to know. . . .

I had classmates from UCLA make it big, I had classmates from Cal State and Community College make it sort of. I knew them when they were nobody. But I think of former newswoman Kelly Lange speaking at the Festival of Books and dang, you'd never have guessed how lively she really was. And Alyssa Milano at one of those events promoting her book and seeming like a talking robot on a Disneyland ride.

I just can't help but wonder why people care about most celebrities.

fechter said:
I recently did some work for Mythbusters. I set them up with a high powered surgical laser to test whether it could ignite fart gas and start a fire.

That's awesome. I love those dudes ( and gals )

I shook Vincent Prices' hand at a grocery store in Santa Monica. I met Jane Russel many times, as I am related to her live-in housekeeper from 2006-11. Both were very nice...

I am impressed by Adam Savage, but someone else who is simply famous (Kardashians, DJ Khaled, Miley Cyrus, etc) does not interest me.

markz said:
MJSfoto1956 said:
George H. W. Bush M

Was he drunk?

Wrong one - you mean Shrub, with no "H."

I once met and briefly spoke with Mario Cuomo while I was demonstrating against allowing bear hunts with dogs, and he was Governor of NY. A small group of us went inside the capital building and encountered him in a hallway. He seemed intelligent and reasonable.

I was watching Trump video's last night, Jeb looks awkward and was sweating hard on the panel while Trump was laying down the smack down.

My most famous person encounter was Tanya Tucker. In a very crowded bar, I had to rub against her ass to get another beer. But though I touched her ass, I never met her dammit. Went skinny dipping with Keith Carradine once at midnight, but that was more a thrill for the waitresses than for the male staff at the steakhouse he was playing a gig at.

markz said:
I was watching Trump video's last night, Jeb looks awkward and was sweating hard on the panel while Trump was laying down the smack down.

This after Jeb did all his trash talking of his opponents for months and then when Trump turns it back on him he's like a bully that finds himself losing, they think you're not allowed to fight back. "You can't insult your way to the presidency, Donald Trump." Only Jeb Bush can do that, eh?

Compare that to Dubya's debate where he's visibly terrified of All Gore and letting out a sigh of relief on camera as they end and his 1,000 yard stare when John Kerrey is speaking.

I remember the not yet stars like Zooey Deachannel, I hope she never changed. And the not quite stars like Brooke Burke, who seemed to figure out she needed to change for the better.

And then as a basically has been I was amazed at the intelligence and sheer presence of Morgan Fairchild. It became hard to believe she wasn't a top star.

When I was a young douche in a suit I used to ride the elevator with Jim Pattison on occasion, his offices were above ours in Guinness Tower in Vancouver. The first time he asked me my name, after that he remembered it. Not super famous but rich as hell.

Oh and I hung out with Demi Moore and her kids once during Nyepi celebrations in Bali (Hindu New Year) but I didn't know until afterwards that it was her. She was legit in disguise. Had no idea.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/08/entertainment/ariana-grande-new-album-grammys/index.html

Here we go, Arriana Grande is your average example of your average full of herself celebrity. Arrested for licking the donuts in a donut shop, whining that THIS is why she hates America. Hey, you're not a U.S. citizen, you can go home anytime.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/08/health/sex-workers-human-rights-netherlands-global-laws-intl/index.html

Meanwhile, this article is about more than I'm referring to, but I see interviews online with rising Stars, one as a "Model," one for her "Comedy," both--- Just the online cam girls. But celebrity enough to give interviews.

Most people have turned into a rat snowflake!
Them social justice warriors are a special kinda of stench!
The "Dont hurt my feelings" crowd is that poo kinda stench!
Post secondary crowds are losing it!
Well I shouldnt say most people have turned, just about everyone who reaches the media waves.

Back