GNG / CYC X1 Pro 3000w

Another reason of the similar torque values of X1 and BBSHD could be that BBSHD torque is not correct. I think 160 N-M for 1KW motor is overestimated for sure. In other words, it's 64kg of downforce on a 30.5cm lever. X1 should be more than twice powerfull against the stock BBSHD in side-by-side comparison with the same PSU.

crossbreak said:
Merlin finally got his LMX 161 in December, i met him yesterday and we plan to meet again for a ride as soon as my X1 bike with dual chain setup is done
Damn. I wish i lived somewhere near to you, i would have liked to join you.
I am in contact with Adam about buying on of his LMX64 and i will install a Sempu T4 in my Kona mid drive. I'm really excited to see true torque control of my bike. Good thing is, that because of your "invention" of the MAC conversion i can adjust the gearing to my likings, so i can pedal along even at very high speed. I may need to remove FOC again, as my bike revs up REALLY high now ;)

yep, this is really the best thing of the "crossbreak" style jackshaft :? still hassling how i do it on this one...a hammerschmidt is quite heavy, but with the right torque sensing BB and a lathe i think hammerschmidt and ISIS torque sensing BB could be married. But that comes last, first i need to get this to work and second i need to build a new battery, 20s is a must for this drive

crossbreak said:
yep, this is really the best thing of the "crossbreak" style jackshaft :? still hassling how i do it on this one...a hammerschmidt is quite heavy, but with the right torque sensing BB and a lathe i think hammerschmidt and ISIS torque sensing BB could be married. But that comes last, first i need to get this to work and second i need to build a new battery, 20s is a must for this drive
If you don't have access to a lathe let me know. I can help out!

Very interested to hear if anyone has either received a X-1 Pro unit or been notified they shipped yet? The 2 systems looks great, the option of the chain model like a tangent ascent ( $2800 ) Or the compact direct drive like the Paradox Kinetics ( $3000 ) cover most applications I can see.
Please post photos of parts, connectors etc. when received. Thanks

finally got a tracking ID for the pre-production X1 pro, it was shipped today but w/o motor controller which is not ready yet. When it arrives we can at least have a look at the drive unit, measure motor constants and most important for me, since I want to replace the sprocket: Measure shaft dimensions.

crossbreak said:
finally got a tracking ID for the pre-production X1 pro, it was shipped today but w/o motor controller which is not ready yet. When it arrives we can at least have a look at the drive unit, measure motor constants and most important for me, since I want to replace the sprocket: Measure shaft dimensions.

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear that they finally shipped something.
I was starting to think i accidentally helped rope some people into some kind of scheme... the last thing i'd like associated with my position as a keeper of the sphere. :oops:

Looking forward to seeing what you find out.

pics prior to shipping

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 12.52.37.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 12.52.37.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 3,233
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 12.52.16.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 12.52.16.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 3,233
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 12.52.34.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 12.52.34.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 3,233
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 12.52.04.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-01-21 at 12.52.04.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 3,233
Crossbreak,

Those side plates look to be very short. That would work for a bike with a straight down tube like a Hard Tail bike , However , most every Full Suspension Bike these days have a down tube that has a
" dog leg " curve to it down near the Bottom Bracket.

Riding on a bike that has a 3k motor means that a Good Full Suspension Bike is very much Advisable .
So
That motor is going to hang low when installed on most every F.S. MTB . ( which means not much clearance when riding on trails ).

It looks like one more thing for you to design and make and sell is a set of longer side plates , even angled up some to conform to the typical " dog leg " down tube on most all of our F.S. MTB's .

sorry but with longer plates the gears wont even touch each other anymore. this is simply not possible, you agree? if you have problems fitting the gear version please stick to the chain version
Anyway, my frame has a dog leg, we will see how it fits, i dont think it will look too bad. With a straight Downtube the motor is a good bit higher from the ground than the bottom bracket

s4sLalE.png

Grantmac said:
I wonder if the controller mount on the bottom adds significant torsional rigidity? It seems like it would.
definitely! You'll have to put something in there, i think i'll insert an 8mm aluminum sheet or something like this, bolted to the controller screw holes.

new video up on their site. Looking pretty sweet. the video indicates that the handlebar display shown will not be the display used on the units that ship with 36-72v controllers (which I assume all the early orders are shipping with). Sent an inquiry to Jon regarding this.
Very cool indeed.

there is no new video on their site, but one on failbook
https://www.facebook.com/CYCMOTORLTD/videos/2296115530448065/

unfortunately my motor is on hold at the customs and the authorities want me to personally pick it up :cry:

they want you personally to declare the value and pay a tax for imported goods. You should say it's a sample or gift to avoid it if motor comes with the same supporting documents :)
Waiting for your first impressions btw.

Fastwanabe said:
After looking at these videos I noticed Im just spoiled with how quiet the bafangs are.

I bet that if you use this X1-pro at just 1000W or less like the BBSHD/02 deliver, it will not be much louder... :wink:

SlowCo said:
Fastwanabe said:
After looking at these videos I noticed Im just spoiled with how quiet the bafangs are.

I bet that if you use this X1-pro at just 1000W or less like the BBSHD/02 deliver, it will not be much louder... :wink:

I think the X1 motor spins much faster than the BBSHD motor, which is likely why it is noisier. Similar to the tangent motor. But, that is also why it can deliver twice as much power and still be 2 lbs lighter than the BBSHD.

n2mb said:
I think the X1 motor spins much faster than the BBSHD motor, which is likely why it is noisier. Similar to the tangent motor. But, that is also why it can deliver twice as much power and still be 2 lbs lighter than the BBSHD.

Three times as the BBSHD is rated at 1000W vs the X1-pro at 3000W.

SlowCo said:
n2mb said:

Three times as the BBSHD is rated at 1000W vs the X1-pro at 3000W.

True, although most people are running them at 30A, 52V - 1500W. We don't yet know how much beyond 3000W the X1 will go. The controller specs say 65A, up to 72V, which would be 4680W. But, I imagine it will need to dial back the amps at 72V to keep from overheating the tiny motor... :)

Lenk42602 said:
.... video indicates that the handlebar display shown will not be the display used on the units that ship with 36-72v controllers (which I assume all the early orders are shipping with). Sent an inquiry to Jon regarding this.

Follow up on this. Jon has indicated that the 36-72v controller will have a handlebar display similar in size and shape as shown on the video, but will be black and white, rather than color, that will ship only with the 36-72v controller equipped units. Color versions will be available later for the 72v units.

Asked about the display incompatibility between different rated controllers, they are developing two separate controller /boards by two different manufacturers in parallel - one standard (up to 14s), the other a higher voltage version that has been requested here. He conveyed that the boards will be completely different designs as a result.

When the kits are ready to ship the controller options will be available for either.

My bike is all ready to go with 14s. I may (gasp!) get the standard unit and run it (gasp!) as intended.

n2mb said:
We don't yet know how much beyond 3000W the X1 will go. The controller specs say 65A, up to 72V, which would be 4680W. But, I imagine it will need to dial back the amps at 72V to keep from overheating the tiny motor... :)

And at that wattage the bicycle drive train should be of very high /strong quality to last any decent time. Or just go to a left hand drive set up: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=97479

SlowCo said:
Fastwanabe said:

I wonder if there's a video floating around to show this.

Give yourself a favor and don't buy gear driven version of this drive. I'm not saying that chain drive is going to work well, but I'm saying that geared type will not for sure. You need very solid structure to use gear drive and you will never have that much rigidity on the bike. That's why everyone is using chains and belts. Trust me on that one. You can thank me later. :)

Ecyclist said:
Give yourself a favor and don't buy gear driven version of this drive. I'm not saying that chain drive is going to work well, but I'm saying that geared type will not for sure. You need very solid structure to use gear drive and you will never have that much rigidity on the bike. That's why everyone is using chains and belts. Trust me on that one. You can thank me later. :)

How can you predict that? The unit itself with the controller bolted between the brackets/ mounting plates makes everything very stiff/rigid. And the coarse and wide tooth profile makes sure that a little misalignment with the low rpm's at the crank doesn't matter too much. At least that is how I view the design.

Back