Retirement Time

We took our daughter to Rainforest Cafe for her 21st birthday tonight, fifty miles each way like most everything else. Was only an hour to get home but considerably longer to get there because of traffic. I'm still not used to living this far east of the greater LA area, everything seems backwards compared to where I lived for so many years. :pancake:
I am getting used to seeing Santiago Peak (Saddleback) from about the same distance in the west as it was for do many years to the east. It looks similar from both directions, unlike Mt. San Antonio (Old Baldy) which looks completely different from the southeast as it does from the southwest, especially at a distance.
Many more constellations and planets visible here at night because of less air and light pollution. I would like to go to the observatory at nearby Mt. Palomar as a day trip soon just to check it out.

I was out working on the latest improvements to the trike, with all the yard lights on, and there was only one group of kids out at all, and they weren't trick or treating, they were just banging on cars and fences and screaming, as they went down the street on unpowered skateboards and kickscooters. Thankfully they bypassed my place cuz I have no cars, just an empty driveway (and the dogs happened to all be inside having a nap or something, so no barking). I also smelled spray paint but didn't see any tagging, so maybe the paint smell wasn't them.

The fingers said:
Many more constellations and planets visible here at night because of less air and light pollution. I would like to go to the observatory at nearby Mt. Palomar as a day trip soon just to check it out.
That's cool. Can you see the Milky Way at all from your area?

edcastrovalley said:
The fingers said:
That's cool. Can you see the Milky Way at all from your area?

Probably have to take a 30 minute ride up to Idyllwild most nights to see that clearly. We don't have street lights here in this neighborhood but the houses all have yard lights which come on automatically at night.
When we were kids we saw the Echo Satellite go orbiting by, but by far the Space Shuttle about ten years ago after dusk was one of the most impressive flyovers I've seen.
About 20 years ago in Orland, with 10x binoculars I could clearly see the letters SOS up above my sister's house in the stars. That was really cool. 8)

Heard from my sister last night. Her friend in Paradise had to grab her cat, jump in the car and drive away in her pajamas to escape from the flames. Probably lost everything but could be some time to get any news. First the town has to be completely combed for dead bodies. :cry:

The recent rain made weeding easier. Leaves just beginning to fall, but the still green lawn is hardly growing at all. Roses are doing well except for the one which I should have ripped out and replaced last February.
Neighbors who we believe took Chomper are moving out, don’t feel like spying on them to see if he’s keeping company with their two bearded dragons. Hopefully some friendlier folks move in there who take better care of the place. All the others we’ve met seem legit. :)

Hoping for a break from the rain Sunday afternoon to get the lawn mower out and the leaves picked up. The ash tree in front is turning color, but the two large trees in back of the house make the biggest mess. Neighbor across the street lawn already going brown but he continues to water it. :?

Got called into work today, going to try and get the yard work done tomorrow morning before work. The trash pick up for the green waste usually comes first, so I'll start in front and get that on the truck. The back yard waste might not get picked up for collection until next week. :x

All local mountains capped with snow today while visibility unlimited. :D

Got to at least get the back yard done today. The lawn in front can wait until next week after the trash goes out. A few winter weeds sprouting after the recent rain but not cold enough yet for the lawn to turn brown. :wink:

Trees are bare, lawn is frosted brown, bushes now flowerless and blackened by the freeze. The noisy Blue Jays have taken over the the morning. A distant rooster crows, followed by the braying of a donky. Neighbors next door gone, two really nice homes for sale on our street, going for a lot more than expected. Didn't know that across the street was rented until the family up and disappeared and new people with kids moved in. Miss the old pitty girl pup that would bark when I came home. Do believe the single guy and his sister had his lady in. Should have seen the look on his face as she jogged by with him providing support by bicycling slowly beside her. :lol:

Took advantage of today's beautiful sunny 78°f weather to do some yard work. Lots of weeds sprouting because of the recent rains. A couple of offshore wind events coming due to high pressure moving in. Warmer days and cooler nights ahead again in the extended forecast. The surrounding mountains are covered with snow, hope to see the "super blood wolf moon" tomorrow night with partly cloudy skies. 8)

Too wet to mow, good for the local dry farmers. Wheat fields are super green, oriental vegetables haven’t been hailed on yet, so far.
http://rcfilmtv.org/Portals/0/Aglist/growing%20and%20harvest%20schedule%204-24-14.pdf
The ash tree in front needs a trim, going to have to hire that out. Lantana turned completely black from the frost a few weeks ago. Almost time for the roses to be pruned also. I used to be spoiled at the old house, the yard was almost entirely paved. :oops:

Did some weeding in front today, the back is a mess but it will have to wait until it dries our some. Rose bushes in front look ready to prune. Would like to replace at least one with a more vigerous variety. :wink:

Finally paid some guys to trim the ash tree on the front lawn. Out in the rain they climbed up there and buzz cut it it like a group of tree-dwelling primates. Did the little tree by the south gate also. :)

Took advantage of the recent wet wearher to glue up some indoor projects. Got to hang some shelves, after repairing them and some picture frames. Love that Gorilla Glue!

Was dry enough to do a little weeding in the yard this afternoon. The south and west side mo
stly, the rest is still much too wet and muddy to walk on. The watercourse on the side of the house carried lots of stuff with it. Oh well, that's now water under the bridge. :pancake:
Brought in a drawer to a large buffet cabinet that got stuck when we moved so it came apart with dining room linens inside. The bottom of the drawer got a little warped, but after months of being under the rest of the wood it's much straighter than it was. :wink:

Got the day off tomorrow, so I'm going to try and trim the front rose bushes and finish the weeding. Then if the rain holds off for a while, I can tackle the back yard. Supposed to be near 80 degrees F on Sunday. :D

Back