can Enphase micro solar inverters be made to provide emergency power?

nicobie

Staff member
I was thinking to use a small lipo battery with a 220v inverter to spoof the 220v that the enphase inverters need to see before they will work. Obviously the grid disconnect will need to be thrown before connecting the battery/inverter.

Is this possible or am I looking for trouble.

nicobie said:
I was thinking to use a small lipo battery with a 220v inverter to spoof the 220v that the enphase inverters need to see before they will work. Obviously the grid disconnect will need to be thrown before connecting the battery/inverter.
Very short answer - no.

Slightly longer answer - This is something that comes up pretty often. "I will just fool the inverters with my little inverter/generator and they will provide all the power I need!" Doesn't work for several reasons.

Even longer answer - Enphase is coming out with a product (the IQ8+ series along with something they call their AC battery) which will allow backup power. But you need the IQ8 series of inverters and a bunch of other hardware. In addition, some string inverters (like the SMA series) have a "secure power" option that will provide you with 2000W of 120VAC as long as the sun is out.

Back