TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

Rydon said:
Just a thought. Is holding down the plus button used for anything? The minus is pretty much a universal standard for walk assist. Since cruise control is a new feature, how about using the plus button so they don't conflict?

It could work but the plus button hold is now used to activate or deactivate the LCD backlight together with the front and rear lights.

A lot of people, including me, found upgrading to open source firmware difficult, because the information is spread out over two threads with over 200 pages between them. I also needed the excellent github information and jbalat's videos, and those resources weren't immediately clear to me as I went through the ES threads.

Here is my attempt at a comprehensive tutorial for installing Open-Source firmware with KT-LCD3 and also flashing stock firmware. It doesn't cover everything. I haven't tried marcoq's method of installing OSF with the VLCD5. I didn't cover installing a temperature sensor. The waterproof connectorized cable is for an 8-pin system, etc.

I think it is pretty complete and good for someone new who has never before dealt with connecting to embedded processors. I wrote it before I became so comfortable with the process that I would glide over things that would not be obvious to newcomers.

Revise & re-post as you like. I hope it works for others.
View attachment Open Source and Stock Firmware Tutorial.doc

tomtom50 said:
A lot of people, including me, found upgrading to open source firmware difficult, because the information is spread out over two threads with over 200 pages between them. I also needed the excellent github information and jbalat's videos, and those resources weren't immediately clear to me as I went through the ES threads.

Here is my attempt at a comprehensive tutorial for installing Open-Source firmware with KT-LCD3 and also flashing stock firmware. It doesn't cover everything. I haven't tried marcoq's method of installing OSF with the VLCD5. I didn't cover installing a temperature sensor. The waterproof connectorized cable is for an 8-pin system, etc.

I think it is pretty complete and good for someone new who has never before dealt with connecting to embedded processors. I wrote it before I became so comfortable with the process that I would glide over things that would not be obvious to newcomers.

Revise & re-post as you like. I hope it works for others.
Open Source and Stock Firmware Tutorial.doc

That's a really good idea and great to go to all that effort. It was Jbalat's videos that got me started too and then finding the relevant stuff for the 8 pin VLCD was very confusing at first and of course it turned out in the end to be the easier version to mod by just using another 8 pin HiGo cable. I think your first sentence may be wrong though as I believe the 6 pin VLCD 5 does have brake inputs and the only difference between the 8 and 6 pin versions is that the 8 pin version has an external throughput for a throttle down the two extra wires.

Rafe said:
I think your first sentence may be wrong though as I believe the 6 pin VLCD 5 does have brake inputs and the only difference between the 8 and 6 pin versions is that the 8 pin version has an external throughput for a throttle down the two extra wires.
Thanks, I'll revise. Since I have 8-pin that's what I know.

elem said:
I am going to order another TSDZ2 for my partner and wondered if I 'share' one display between the two motors. So I flash LCD and then flash each motor, but then on one bike go back to using the old LCD once settings changed?

dont thinck it match ...
for vlcd5 use, go to : https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=98281&hilit=TSDZ2

i use 2 tsdz2 motor, one with open source firmware " standard " ( with kt-lcd3 display ), the other one with VLCD5 and modified firmware from marcoq, all works fine .

Awesome - thanks so much for your help. Think I'll try with Marcoq for VLCD5 first and see how I go. Then if I decide to modify further will order the KT-LCD3.

Is there also an option to modify original firmware?

My goals are to:
1) increase number of max amps (I have 500w model but want to be able to 'unlock' to use more AMPS to increase power)
2) Maintain full power even when battery charge has dropped.

I am using bike mostly to get up a steep hill (short, but gravel road and quite steep) close to my house that I have to get up with a bike trailer & two kids in the back most days.

andrea_104kg said:
it's the same for me :D i'm testing my new bike whit tsdz2 48v and firmware .18.02
i have also a turbo levo 2018, and it's incredible, i really prefere the bike whith tsdz2 :D i get over 850w on the display :D and the shock absorbers are really better on this bike even if old...
I thought about getting a "second bike", but it came too well, in the last days I use only this one and the turbo levo is still, I almost wanted to sell it :D
the only thing that really keeps me is that I do not know if the poor engine will be able to withstand my weight for a long time :(

Hi Andrea,

Your testimony is incredible!

Why do you prefer the TSDZ2 bike?

The turbo levo motor it is not better?

Or is the weight of the bike? The turbo levo it´s heavier?

Regards
Azur

Hi everybody,

Thank you all and great work you have done.

I have some questions about higher cadence version (option).

I know the current version 18.02 has an option related to high cadence.

Is this option available for 36V and 48V?

Has anyone tested it for 36V?

Was this 18.02 high-cadence version tested by JBALAT (36V)?

As you know JBALAT was one of the first to invest and test this facility and has a way to install it in OSFirmware.

In version 18.02 with higher cadence option disabled, can we install the changes suggested by JBALAT to have a higher cadence? Are there no memory space issues?

Best Regards

Azur

Hi, AZUR, the shock absorbers of the turbo do not satisfy me. They are hard and even the 3-inch wheels do not guarantee sufficient agility.
the gt has 170mm spring-mounted marzocchi focals and a rp23 (completely overhauled) shock absorber, which was a top of the range.
The motor with the 18.02 firmware is almost equivalent. yesterday I made 40km with the tsdz2 and today 20km with the levo and sincerely I find them equal. The levo creaks a little less but this is due to the particular frame of the gt that has the central moment oscillating. There are slight differences in power output at various levels but they are negligible.
The bug on the tsdz2 is unfortunately boring, if I keep my foot on the pedal, it tends to start uncontrollably.
I am very heavy and even the consumption is very similar.
Before putting the new firmware I tried with the original firmware but it was not satisfactory at all, an abysmal difference!
overall, similar motor and better chassis make me prefer the gt.
I have the high cadence enabled setting and it works very well.
An advantage of the levo, the power drops a little less while the battery is discharged,

tomtom50 said:
Rafe said:
I think your first sentence may be wrong though as I believe the 6 pin VLCD 5 does have brake inputs and the only difference between the 8 and 6 pin versions is that the 8 pin version has an external throughput for a throttle down the two extra wires.
Thanks, I'll revise. Since I have 8-pin that's what I know.
Revised version attached

casainho said:
zappan said:
Hello casainho, I saw that you are interested in transferring your software to other displays and I would like to ask you two questions:
1. are you continuing to work on the LCD5 display?
2. I found on the site of the Italian seller this color display that looks just like the bafang 850C:
http://www.future-bike.it/shop/kit-di-trasformazione-3/display-vertical-a-colori/
  if it really is he definitely solves the problem of cutting the cables for the connection to the engine that you think?
1. yes.
2. I don´t know... but that one is very expensive!!! You can buy at half of that price on Aliexpress and I guess that with adding costs for taxes will be lower than doubling the price.

Hi Casainho,

I was wondering if you had any guide/workflow for compiling the ColorLCD code for the 850C. I have an 850C ready to be flashed but I'm struggling working out the process to compile. I can see the make file is not using sdcc to compile, and looks to be only for a Linux platform, but I'm not sure on the pre-requisites needed?

I also found a nice place to get the programming pins out without compromising the water resistance much...

perryscope said:
Hi Casainho,

I was wondering if you had any guide/workflow for compiling the ColorLCD code for the 850C. I have an 850C ready to be flashed but I'm struggling working out the process to compile. I can see the make file is not using sdcc to compile, and looks to be only for a Linux platform, but I'm not sure on the pre-requisites needed?

I also found a nice place to get the programming pins out without compromising the water resistance much...
1. yes I am using Linux to build and the make file. Sorry but I can't help other than building on Linux -- maybe others can do or please try by yourself, as the STM32F103 microcontroller is very famous as it is the GCC compiler, you will find instructions on google of other projects. Then please write notes on wiki page to help next others!!

2. I would solder that pins directly on PCB in direction back of the LCD, maybe using a connector header and open a hole on the case for the header, like a user shared before for KT-LCD3.

3. I am slowly working on the firmware. It needs a rework and unlike on KT-LCD3, writing to LCD is a bit slow and the communications seems to be failing because of that. I am working on the branch and the "new_design" branch and the latest best working code is here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/Color_LCD/tree/787eb584214ef3ed71dcf55688448ef837a0715b

This my first post so I'm new to this but impressed with all the great work you guys have done - so first many thanks for all the great work you guys are doing - very interesting.

I was wondering if anybody can assist with a strange problem I'm having, once programming (with v18.2) I have what appears to be a fully working KT3 display but no power assist from the motor at all (same results with the older firmware versions too).
My bike is running 48v 750W with 48V 12.8Ah Li-ion with LG LGGBMH11865 cells and works fine with VLCD5 display, it is 6 pin with no temp sensor or throttle installed. As I said it runs fine as stock and with the eco-ebike 'upgrade' hex files installed but like most people the cadence issue was why I started to look for improvements. I have bought and set up the KT-LCD3 and using a ST-Link v2 (not a clone) with the 'homemade' suitable cables I can program both motor and display without errors (and go back to stock set up too) so I don't think issue is with the programming or cable side. Where I've got to is that everything in the display configuration appears to work fine and the setting configuration data can be entered and is saved ok; the functions all appear to work on the display e.g. assist level changes with button press, off road mode toggles on/off , same with walk assist etc .... only weird thing with the display side is that I have the temperature cell (bottom right on the display) always flashing 0 deg C even though the motor temp control feature is disabled (no temp sensor installed) and is still flashing if I disable the whole temp display setting (sub menu 6.0 set to zero to display nothing in that field) ....... apart from this strange temp display issue the main issue is that I have absolutely no assist from the motor even though the motor controller appears to be taking the hex file and verifying OK. Using menu 12.3 I can see the torque sensor is working when I apply torque to crank but I'm getting no assisting in any mode or with walk assist or anything ? Can anyone of your wonderful people suggest what to check next ? The only thing I can think off is maybe I have a faulty motor controller or something ? I'm an experience mechanical engineer but like most of us older grease monkeys we need help with the electrical side :)
Thanks in advance and keep up the great work.....

Firenzaboy said:
This my first post so I'm new to this but impressed with all the great work you guys have done - so first many thanks for all the great work you guys are doing - very interesting.

I was wondering if anybody can assist with a strange problem I'm having, once programming (with v18.2) I have what appears to be a fully working KT3 display but no power assist from the motor at all (same results with the older firmware versions too).
My bike is running 48v 750W with 48V 12.8Ah Li-ion with LG LGGBMH11865 cells and works fine with VLCD5 display, it is 6 pin with no temp sensor or throttle installed. As I said it runs fine as stock and with the eco-ebike 'upgrade' hex files installed but like most people the cadence issue was why I started to look for improvements. I have bought and set up the KT-LCD3 and using a ST-Link v2 (not a clone) with the 'homemade' suitable cables I can program both motor and display without errors (and go back to stock set up too) so I don't think issue is with the programming or cable side. Where I've got to is that everything in the display configuration appears to work fine and the setting configuration data can be entered and is saved ok; the functions all appear to work on the display e.g. assist level changes with button press, off road mode toggles on/off , same with walk assist etc .... only weird thing with the display side is that I have the temperature cell (bottom right on the display) always flashing 0 deg C even though the motor temp control feature is disabled (no temp sensor installed) and is still flashing if I disable the whole temp display setting (sub menu 6.0 set to zero to display nothing in that field) ....... apart from this strange temp display issue the main issue is that I have absolutely no assist from the motor even though the motor controller appears to be taking the hex file and verifying OK. Using menu 12.3 I can see the torque sensor is working when I apply torque to crank but I'm getting no assisting in any mode or with walk assist or anything ? Can anyone of your wonderful people suggest what to check next ? The only thing I can think off is maybe I have a faulty motor controller or something ? I'm an experience mechanical engineer but like most of us older grease monkeys we need help with the electrical side :)
You description of problem and tests you did really help to understand what can be happen.

I guess it is the max temperature limit that is disabling the motor power -- it does that. The thing is: are you sure you did reset the defaults values and are you sure the motor temperature sensor is disabled on the configurations??

Tiny LCD with bluetooh

PSWPower is selling the SW102 LCD for Bafang that seems a version of the eggrider LCD, for 45€. Seems a decent price.

Eggrider seems to use a Nordic microcontroller that includes Bluetooth.

SW102 listing on PSWPower and other online shops on aliexpress never mention Bluetooth but I found only a listing saying:

At present, this display does not have bluetooth function. If the bluetooth function is needed, it can only be customized with a batch order

Since they use a Nordic microcontroller that includes Bluetooth, I guess all this LCDs supports Bluetooth but it may be disabled/not implemented in firmware on some models.

I am being developing firmware for another ebike LCD (commercial project, not OpenSource) that uses Nordic microcontroller with Bluetooth, so I am familiar with this systems. They support the ARM GCC compiler, so would be more or less easy for me to develop for this LCD.

But the programming using bootloader on this LCD should be locked like on 850C so I think the only option is open the LCD and try solder the programming wires... let's see if is possible... I just bought 1 unit from PSWPower and should take 2 weeks to arrive.

This LCD has some characteristics many has being asking:
- small size
- Bluetooth
- cheap/medium price

Let's see if we can program it....

HTB1cjYbX2vsK1Rjy0Fiq6zwtXXaS.jpg

casainho said:
Firenzaboy said:

You description of problem and tests you did really help to understand what can be happen.

I guess it is the max temperature limit that is disabling the motor power -- it does that. The thing is: are you sure you did reset the defaults values and are you sure the motor temperature sensor is disabled on the configurations??

Thanks for trying to help. Yes I've checked and double checked that the configuration is correct with the temp sensor disabled but still no success. Could it be something to do with the option byte settings as I've read on here some other people were have different issues with the option byte set up (I have no idea what the option byte does BTW). It was the AFR5 and AFR3 fields that people were changing - what are the correct values for these fields and how do you set them as when I tried to force the AFR3 field to TM3_BK1N as suggested in an earlier post (possible if I use the STM8S105x4 setting) when I turn on the bike to check and then go back and re-read the option byte it have changed back to TM3_CH2 ? Same result with STM8S105x6 read. I'm also correct in that you should force the data memory tab to all zeros at the start (that is what I am doing - again tried both x4 & x6) which is working ok but then populated when you switch on the bike ? The data I get in row 4000 only is:
CD 28 00 0A 32 86 01 02 08 32 00 00 19 0A 32 00 .(..2....2....2.
Not sure if that helps with the diagnosis ? Once again thanks for your help.

Firenzaboy said:
casainho said:
Firenzaboy said:

Thanks for trying to help. Yes I've checked and double checked that the configuration is correct with the temp sensor disabled but still no success. Could it be something to do with the option byte settings as I've read on here some other people were have different issues with the option byte set up (I have no idea what the option byte does BTW). It was the AFR5 and AFR3 fields that people were changing - what are the correct values for these fields and how do you set them as when I tried to force the AFR3 field to TM3_BK1N as suggested in an earlier post (possible if I use the STM8S105x4 setting) when I turn on the bike to check and then go back and re-read the option byte it have changed back to TM3_CH2 ? Same result with STM8S105x6 read. I'm also correct in that you should force the data memory tab to all zeros at the start (that is what I am doing - again tried both x4 & x6) which is working ok but then populated when you switch on the bike ? The data I get in row 4000 only is:
The firmware writes by itself the correct option bytes now. It is being working for other users.

You should not have temperature blinking.

Also check you have max power configured to an higher value like at least 100W and not like 25W.

casainho said:
Firenzaboy said:
casainho said:
Firenzaboy said:

The firmware writes by itself the correct option bytes now. It is being working for other users.

You should not have temperature blinking.

Also check you have max power configured to an higher value like at least 100W and not like 25W.

Yes temp is still blinking in the display whatever I try. Yes max power is set at 250W (default) and issue is the same in both on and off road mode (and I tried disabling off road mode too). Just put bike back again to stock and motor is functioning (as a double check) but can't get stock walk mode to work (with VLD5) even though setting is 'on' which is strange as it was working before ? Could it be a motor controller hardware issue - I may try buying another controller as a last resort ? Confusing isn't it !

Firenzaboy said:
only weird thing with the display side is that I have the temperature cell (bottom right on the display) always flashing 0 deg C even though the motor temp control feature is disabled (no temp sensor installed) and is still flashing if I disable the whole temp display setting (sub menu 6.0 set to zero to display nothing in that field) ....... apart from this strange temp display issue the main issue is that I have absolutely no assist from the motor even though the motor controller appears to be taking the hex file and verifying OK. Using menu 12.3 I can see the torque sensor is working when I apply torque to crank but I'm getting no assisting in any mode or with walk assist or anything ?
1. you must make sure that is not the motor max temperature feature that is disabling the motor power!! Verify again the configurations and reset to default values.

2. Not only see the torque sensor value, see also the pwm duty-cycle value when you push the pedals and rotate them!!

Firenzaboy said:
Just put bike back again to stock and motor is functioning (as a double check) but can't get stock walk mode to work (with VLD5) even though the setting is 'on' which is strange as it was working before? Could it be a motor controller hardware issue - I may try buying another controller as a last resort? Confusing isn't it !

I don't know if it helps but I had a similar issue when switching back to the stock firmware after using the macro vM0.16.B_VLCD6 version for a while with the VLCD6 screen, to resolve the walk-assist I had to reflash the backup hex files I took of the stock Data and Option memory areas. After doing this it put it back to a fully working stock setup. I put it down to manually editing the data area. have you got a backup hex file for those?

casainho said:
Firenzaboy said:
only weird thing with the display side is that I have the temperature cell (bottom right on the display) always flashing 0 deg C even though the motor temp control feature is disabled (no temp sensor installed) and is still flashing if I disable the whole temp display setting (sub menu 6.0 set to zero to display nothing in that field) ....... apart from this strange temp display issue the main issue is that I have absolutely no assist from the motor even though the motor controller appears to be taking the hex file and verifying OK. Using menu 12.3 I can see the torque sensor is working when I apply torque to crank but I'm getting no assisting in any mode or with walk assist or anything ?
1. you must make sure that is not the motor max temperature feature that is disabling the motor power!! Verify again the configurations and reset to default values.

2. Not only see the torque sensor value, see also the pwm duty-cycle value when you push the pedals and rotate them!!
And make sure brake sensors are not activated also :)

casainho said:
casainho said:
Firenzaboy said:

I had exactly the same problem. I reverted back to the stock hex file I saved before flashing. I then reflashed and immediately rest to defaults from the menu. For some strange reason, I have to reset to default after every firmware upgrade otherwise even setting the parameters manually (before resetting) results in no power. As you said verything looks but no power.

Bartman said:
casainho said:
casainho said:
Firenzaboy said:

I had exactly the same problem. I reverted back to the stock hex file I saved before flashing. I then reflashed and immediately rest to defaults from the menu. For some strange reason, I have to reset to default after every firmware upgrade otherwise even setting the parameters manually (before resetting) results in no power. As you said verything looks but no power.

Interesting thanks for that, glad I’m not going mad ! So just to be clear you fixed it by going back to stock program tab with with stock data tab too or loaded data with zeros ? Then did you delete (zero) the prog and data tabs (hex files) or just overwrote the old stock prog firmware file with new open source file ? What did you need to do with the KT3 ? Reset that to zeroed data tab or was it ok with the saved set up data from your previous attempts when the motor didn’t work ? Sorry for the questions just wanted to be 100% clear what you did to fix it as it driving me mad ! Thanks again

Firenzaboy said:
Bartman said:
casainho said:
casainho said:

Interesting thanks for that, glad I’m not going mad ! So just to be clear you fixed it by going back to stock program tab with with stock data tab too or loaded data with zeros ? Then did you delete (zero) the prog and data tabs (hex files) or just overwrote the old stock prog firmware file with new open source file ? What did you need to do with the KT3 ? Reset that to zeroed data tab or was it ok with the saved set up data from your previous attempts when the motor didn’t work ? Sorry for the questions just wanted to be 100% clear what you did to fix it as it driving me mad ! Thanks again

It was only the motor I had to reflash. I loaded the stock program, data and options tabs
I’d saved from the motor from new. Then tried with the standard display and all worked. Reinstalled the KTLCD3,
then only flashed the program tab with the open source hex file. Then I reset to factory defaults using the instruction in the wiki (i.e on v18.x it’s menu 9 option 3).

Quick update:
----------------------------------------------

I am back from the longer than planned weekend trip and I resumed development today. Just have to test the last changes I made today and then I will release a beta version and also pull request the most recent changes to the official master branch. I look forward to hear how to make this version even better!

I am still struggling with program space so can not promise anything. But just the fact that it was possible to develop the changes listed below is something to celebrate! Large chunks of code have been rewritten and optimized to make room. Casainho has already reviewed and accepted all submitted changes to the official branch.

Here are some of the changes:
----------------------------------------------
* Added a new sub field in the odometer field temporarily called Energy where user will see energy consumption and estimated range

* Added a function that measures and calculates consumed watt-hours per traveled distance since power on

* Added function that estimates range since power on depending on how much capacity is left

* More accurate watt-hour measurement

* More accurate time measurement

* Safer Walk Assist and Cruise

* Added option to enable or disable motor power limit quick-set-menu

* Added option to set motor power limit in the configuration menu

* Merged previous configuration menu LCD Setup with configuration menu General Setup for better and faster setup. This also optimizes program size

* Added option that enables user to enable or disable display of motor temperature in the odometer field

* Changed order in the Main Screen Setup menu in the configuration menu

* Changed order in the odometer field

* Added two new Main Screen Setup items

* Heavily optimized code size and speed

* Cleaned up code and comments

* Created wiki that has been updated with all the changes:
https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/0.19.0-(BETA)

Back