Dr. Greger explains the cause of insulin resistance, p 17 and explains how to reverse heart failure pg 17

tomjasz said:
What do you call the bottom of the graduating class?

That said, a Dr doing due diligence on diet has far more education, time re viewing peer reviewed stdies than you and I will parse in several decades. Careful you don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

I wish i knew a doctor like that! i've spent the last 6 years reading about peer reviewed studies, double blinds, investigative techniques, etc in orthopedics and diet for quite a while. When i've brought such things up, doc never knows about them.

My guess is that once medical school is over, the willingness to voluntarily learn new things is beaten out of these people, unless word gets around in these circles. I seem to read more ( out of my own interest to treat several issues i have ) than anyone i've ever encountered.

..and i find that disappointing!

Bottom of graduating class? Why, Doctor, of course.

Perhaps we’re blessed with The Mayo after all. Everyone of Drs are well versed and quite brilliant. Even the dummies have far more education and skills than any internet’s expert. But I guess I’m just dummer than average for having more trust in the bottom of the class...

tomjasz said:
That said, a Dr doing due diligence on diet has far more education, time re viewing peer reviewed stdies than you and I will parse in several decades. Careful you don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

I doubt that very many doctors study nutrition to that degree. From what I've seen, a moderately diligent regular human bean can easily know lots more about nutrition than the typical doctor. And even on the medical, non-nutrition topics, I wonder seriously how deeply many doctors study the literature. Some do, but I wouldn't bet that all do.

tomjasz said:
Bottom of graduating class? Why, Doctor, of course.

Perhaps we’re blessed with The Mayo after all. Everyone of Drs are well versed and quite brilliant. Even the dummies have far more education and skills than any internet’s expert. But I guess I’m just dummer than average for having more trust in the bottom of the class...

I've been generally impressed with the doctors I've had at Mayo. But they are the exception. They also seem to know very little about the most recent research on nutrition even though they seem very much on top of things in their area of expertise.

I've learned through my personal experience and that of others that are close to me, that it is very important to double-check your doctor on anything that is even marginally serious. In other words, if you want to be sure that you are getting good advice, do independent research and study.

Any Dr. worth his salt is going to be on the internet. I had a web site 1999 -2013 for mechanic tips. I simply did not want to answer the same Q over and over. so i put them on the site. Why would a Dr. want to waste his time answering the same Q over and over?
I have a possible new Dr. He has a site, and puts your blood tests on the site, so you don't have to come in. My current Dr makes you come in, and won't let you look at it in the waiting room! Has no web site; office looks and works like the 1980's. So, when i run out of Methamozole for my thyroid in a year, if i still need it, i will call and ask for a renewal. If they say i have to come in, i'll say " I will go in and see another Dr. will you send over my file?"

Yes. Mayo and my GP both have websites that give access to my lab results. I like this service/feature and consider it useful for thos people who like to independently research things related to their personal health. But I wouldn't necessarily correlate it with general quality of care/diagnosis from the doctor him or her self.

So i'm at the produce market; it is jammed, i got the last parking space. Nobody there is obese. I buy 3 big beets with greens 4.5lbs for 1.49, and 2 broccoli .99each. etc. I'm now adding 1oz of cooked beet to my oatmeal; adds color and flavor as beets have sugar. I'd rather just eat the greens at lunch; they are delicious. But they don't sell just the greens, they spoil too fast.
Then i stop at Dollar General for Strawberries 1.49 and mangos .50 each. Obese lady in line bought $24 in cakes. No fruit, no veggies. No wonder she is obese. It is as easy as this. Just watch people in line and don't buy what obese people buy. :) 8)

Now now, careful we don't go for the moral high ground...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-VNXCSGgsg
good video!
also i like beets, and they turn out to be very good. Dr. Greger 4 minute video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGwTD2cQzVY
:bigthumb:
longer bike rides with beet juice: :bigthumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLlDqNu4YlQ

Hey, dr greger is right about something for once :p

The secret to beet juice is the nitric oxide boosters. I take citruline ( an extract ) before working out and it works excellently for increasing endurance. That and creatine are my go-tos. Beet juice just has too much sugar.

Nitric oxide boosters, of which there are many natural ones, are also good for erectile dysfunction.

Matt Gruber said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-VNXCSGgsg
good video!

Don't miss the 1st one, a real success story!

So i found out tomato paste goes on like jam, and it makes a healthier snack. Tastes very good;
They sell a 6oz can for .39 and i now put half in my bean/lintel dish. Tomato paste/sauce is well known for its health benefits.
But the sauce they sell has all kinds of crap in it that i don't want. This paste is just tomato pulp.
I ran out of jam, and with all the fructose in it, it does not sound too healthy.
Years ago i'd mix dough and make pizza. Did that for 20 years, but it did not taste good anymore; cheese and meat no longer tasted good, so frustrated, i quit.
Now i just make rolls. Half a home baked roll w/tomato paste turns out to be a good snack. With salt, heated in the MWave. Just had another slice. a little salt helps a lot.
Could add something else, but i'm not sure what :lol: cheese is not good for me.
EDIT for me, mushrooms! always liked cooked, sliced mushrooms on a pizza.
A note on tom paste; it will not keep, so i'm going to try it in a freezer bag, and roll it down to 1/8". Then i can snap off a slice when i want to make a pizza flavor snack.
Tomato paste: 33g is 35 calories, 2g protein, 6g carbs(3g sugar) 1g fiber, 0 fat.
and my friends did not know that 4g equals 1 teaspoon, so i'm mentioning this so you can convert g to teaspoons. So you can see my snack contains less than 1t sugar. and 33g might be enough for 2 slices, not sure on that, don't have a gram scale.
and the can says, stamped on top: "non BPA can liner" bpa is BAD so look for the better can.

Matt Gruber said:
So i found out tomato paste goes on like jam, and it makes a healthier snack. Tastes very good;

Sometimes I get a craving and eat a small can of tomato paste by itself, with a spoon. My ex-girlfriend learned while living in Turkey to lightly brown tomato paste in the pan before building a sauce that includes it. It's a good tip.

I understand that canned tomatoes are richer in lycopene than fresh tomatoes.

Whenever something makes me sick and its not often but it happens in life, I crave bacon with a tin of plum tomatoes but only when my appetite comes back I'll spew again otherwise just with the smell how can bacon smell so good but when your feeling sick the sizzling smell is the perfect projectile vomit weapon.

I have a weak stomach and I could never handle Mexican food, especially from MuchoDiaherra or Bell/Time.Diaherra the only Mexican I have eaten is a little restaraunt/food market in a strip mall which was good tasting, no after affects. Ahhh now that I think about it theres another fancier Mexican place, independent but could be chain, I will have to Google map it. Costa Vida, franchise place. No diaherra there. I buy Bepto Bismol buy the gallon, well I used to, but now I have a small bottle on hand. Have a weak stomach ever since 2001, highly stressed incident and needed plasma intake. My downfall was chocolate milk but I have successfully gotten off that, and highly reduced my cheese intake. Good during the day, but tend to binge out at night. Oreo's was last night. Also bread, doing good on laying off the bread. More discipline is needed, so many diets out there, fasting is good, lean meats, vege, fruits the usuals right.

There's only a vague resemblance to Mexican food at American fast food franchise stores! YUCH!

So i hate this weed; been digging it out of my lawn for decades! Turns out it is good to eat, and make tea!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANZ60K3h2ow

only 18 minutes, great summary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKaOL2IBPY
until now, i did not know why my Mom lived to 90, and her 2 sisters only 60's. My M+D for 50+ years had a NJ vegetable garden, but not her sisters. They often ate out. Died of cancer. Mom got cancer, but did not operate, died of a stroke.
Garden never used commercial fertilizer, rarely if ever any pesticides. They did eat meat + eggs, but when the crops came in, who had room for meat? The veggies neutralize much the bad of the meat and eggs. But not all; Dad had prostate cancer and skin cancer; died at 96 after a broken hip.

tomjasz said:
There's only a vague resemblance to Mexican food at American fast food franchise stores! YUCH!

I had Mexi Fries from Taco bell and a pop and still hit the shitter within 10 minutes.
All of my 3 attempts at MuchoDiaherra failed.

Mom and Pop Mexicani digs, I had no bathroom trips! Which is only one place in residential strip mall, has a mini market, but I've been eye balling this one in a commercial area but I am just too scared.

i had diarrhea once in the past 15 months.
before i stopped dairy i'd get it 1-2x per month!
Here is a good Ted video on milk problems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGXeX7PPrCI&list=LLfsF7JN6rU-xRywAuHDAmUQ

video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4LvCZ0KnKc
I've decided that sardines, once a week should do the trick, since they are 2nd highest in omega 3, and the tiny fish have not been around long enough to become toxic. And Dollar Tree has the 7 oz can for $1 (4oz net) Nearly 1200mg of omega 3.
Here is the wiki page on sardines https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sardines_as_food
Plus i add 2T of flax meal to my oatmeal daily.
here is a video for the keto guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0WCb23KPEw
i agree with the green veggies and sardines, but not much else, BUT it could be possible to vastly improve over the typical western diet, even with "keto" as long as it really isn't extreme keto. anyone can add healthy foods to any diet.

Fake cheese made from fat, etc.
Not an April fool joke,
But anyone that eats that crap is a fool (except for those with weird medical problems that need tons of fat to avoid certain death)
only 51 minutes, well done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbKnJOroNWU

I heard of Pritikin back in the 80's. Too bad i never read any of his books. I am stunned how accurate his statements are today, 37 years later. Well, i'm finally catching up. Reminds me of an old bumper sticker:
" I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you" :D Don't be offended, just watch the video :bigthumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOj4rzSkqok

Pritikin died in his 60s from one of the afflictions he said his diet would help prevent.

In my neighborhood, we just lost WWII veteran Richard Overton last year at age 112. He had milk and ice cream every day, smoked up to a dozen cigars a day, drank lots of coffee and plenty of whiskey. And he was healthy and active right up to the end. He liked things that made him happy, and I think that's probably as good a basis as any for a diet and lifestyle.

Anyway, it seems like those folks who claim they know the right way to eat, mostly don't live longer or better than anybody else.

Chalo
Thanks for your reply :D
Pritikin died of blood cancer at 69, we all die someday, nobody gets out alive. He lived 29 years longer, and the autopsy showed his heart disease was gone :shock: He was on deaths door at 40, so i'm impressed with the result. He sold patents to GE and became independantly wealthy by 40. He searched for a cure for his heart disease and funded studies. He found a cure, BUT eating healthy won't prevent all the 100's of diseases forever :(
You are free to eat products made from cow secretions if you like. it is your life. :twisted:
Myself, i was on deaths door at 62 :shock: So, if i could live another 15-30 years, i would be thrilled 8)
Eating delicious healthy food is the icing on the cake. :twisted:

Back