AT-One electric inline skates (quick update Dec 2020)

If you wanna try VESC despite the stories, note that it had become a lot more user friendly now with VESC-Tool! Auto detection helps a lot to get adequate parameters for your motor.

Yep, gonna have to either cut the frames or adapt a sub frame to it! I've ridden many miles with 2 wheels per skate (analog) to directly feel the difference versus all wheels mounted, really IMHO it is better to keep the middle wheels if you can!

Vanarian said:
If you wanna try VESC despite the stories, note that it had become a lot more user friendly now with VESC-Tool! Auto detection helps a lot to get adequate parameters for your motor.

Yep, gonna have to either cut the frames or adapt a sub frame to it! I've ridden many miles with 2 wheels per skate (analog) to directly feel the difference versus all wheels mounted, really IMHO it is better to keep the middle wheels if you can!

I'll be fabricating a frame for larger wheels.
I skate slalom so the idea of losing the middle wheels is daunting too since I'm only on my middle wheels most of the time.
I'm betting 2 outer wheels only has horrible maneuverability.

Can't help it though, since I'm going the old fashioned mechanical drive train route, I need a ton of space to mount the components.
This is likely going to turn out as a personal use project, commercially it's looking like no way...
This is the beauty of DIY projects though, I make what I want, no matter how much it snubs convention.

I'll post another render soon, I'm on my 3rd design iteration and it's looking like some kind of a motorbike-ish death machine.

Hastily, I've sent my clutch off for fabrication, I was planning to make a 3D printed proof of concept first but my friend who does 3d printing quoted me 1/4 the cost of what my fabricator quoted to make it out of steel, inclusive of latter adjustments to improve free running tolerances.

I'm impressed by these little bldc motors, they put out a lot of horsepower for their miniature size.

5065 motor 1.PNG
5065 motor 2.PNG
5065 motor 3.PNG
View attachment 1
5065 motor 5.PNG

https://grabcad.com/library/5065-bldc-outrunner-motor-1

Vanarian said:
Yep ! These are a good choice to start with. I forgot, do you want to FWD, RWD or AWD your skates with the clutch ?

Only RWD or FWD, depends on how it feels when accelerating, that will be a later stage. Currently working with RWD design, just because it seems conventional.
The clutch allows for freewheeling both forwards and backwards.

Small update,

Got my old 3d printer out to make some prototypes.
Getting the printer repaired, set up and calibrated and printed parts to fit with each other took almost all my time till now.

Starting to print a few clutch designs I have for a proof of concept.

Dogu-ya said:
Small update,

Getting the printer repaired, set up and calibrated and printed parts to fit with each other took almost all my time till now.

Hey ! Did you manage to keep working on your build ? Just a random thought, can you piggyback mount the clutch at the back of your frame ? This way you can keep middle wheels in ! If you wanna do some light test you can try using PETG or Nylon filament, for pulley driving it is ok.

I still got tolerances to sort out (and damn enclosures are a headache to work with when you go past the "square box" format) !

I have looked into a few of these reviews. The most common issue in I've come across is the battery. In my opinion I think having a battery is a good idea, but not as the main power source. Making a cover that goes over the top of the foot using mini solar panels. The battery however can be used a back up. Not only that I believe that the solar panels in the clear cover on the skateboard or inline skates can also be used to charge the battery with a cutoff mechanism to stop it from overcharge. Most people would skate during the day anyway. Another thing that is possible for this future of skating is speed setting. At most 15-20mph. Just my own opinion on the speed part.

Id like having a tiny battery so less weight. I see panels for sale today are able to capture about 22% of the sun energy and the best panels designed capture about 44%.

Wolf1113 said:
I have looked into a few of these reviews. The most common issue in I've come across is the battery. In my opinion I think having a battery is a good idea, but not as the main power source. Making a cover that goes over the top of the foot using mini solar panels. The battery however can be used a back up. Not only that I believe that the solar panels in the clear cover on the skateboard or inline skates can also be used to charge the battery with a cutoff mechanism to stop it from overcharge. Most people would skate during the day anyway. Another thing that is possible for this future of skating is speed setting. At most 15-20mph. Just my own opinion on the speed part.

Welcome to E-S (and my topic) ! Thanks for your suggestions ; if solar panel's efficiency was high enough it could definitely be a way to charge up (and have for example a capacitor bank to act as regulator between continuous current charging and system's use).

Maybe when there's a breakthrough with solar energy :wink:

Totally agree about the cutoff (brake chopper) mechanism : it is definitely a must even with a normal battery, to make sure voltage doesn't rise above max battery voltage. It's a safety device which should be more often found on EVs IMO.

About the max speed however I'm kinda a speed addict (and depending where I live I ride both in day and night haha) but advanced ESC is able to progressively limit speed up to 20mph (even less for countries where it might be best not to go above 15mph for example). So I'm more aiming to have a "user limit" or "safe mode" + an overall config able to push high speeds.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Id like having a tiny battery so less weight. I see panels for sale today are able to capture about 22% of the sun energy and the best panels designed capture about 44%.

Man I can't skip the powerhouse battery if I want to race you ! BTW I'm still training analog, did 30mph downhill this weekend and it seems I need to be able to manage myself at up to 50mph if I want to compete with the big guys. :flame:

Definitely cannot reach such speeds on a board but on inlines I just enjoy it too much!! :mrgreen:

Vanarian said:
Dogu-ya said:
Small update,

Hey ! Did you manage to keep working on your build ? Just a random thought, can you piggyback mount the clutch at the back of your frame ? This way you can keep middle wheels in ! If you wanna do some light test you can try using PETG or Nylon filament, for pulley driving it is ok.

I still got tolerances to sort out (and damn enclosures are a headache to work with when you go past the "square box" format) !

Hi Vanarian,

Been so long, I stopped working on this project for awhile.
My 2 way clutch works fine during testing but it was a nightmare getting it to work under load.
Obviously 3d printed parts would not stand much force, so I had a prototype made in mild steel and it was very hard to get it working like the printed parts. One of the biggest issues is that to accomodate my fabricator, I had to modify the lead screw in the mechanism.
I stopped working on it at this point. Next step would be switching some parts to brass/copper, and getting that lead screw machined accurately

Man I hope you'll be able to work again on it! Having a workable version already is big step in the good direction.

How much did the clutch weight in steel btw?

Me I'm taking it easy on mines for now, training analog (reached 30mph DH this weekend) to be able to control them when it's out.

I'd like to try them against different types of setups to see what's good and not so good motor wise (DD/planetary gear drive/bigger stator/Regular PU Tyre/special grip one). That's considering I'll kick push / stride too, I was surprised at how much acceleration a human can pack in his muscles!

this may be a dumb question since i only found this thread today but are you ever planning to have a production variation of these available for sale? I have been looking for something like this for a very long time but i have zero know-how with building electronics and the like so doubt i'd ever be able to make one myself.

GrayMech said:
this may be a dumb question since i only found this thread today but are you ever planning to have a production variation of these available for sale? I have been looking for something like this for a very long time but i have zero know-how with building electronics and the like so doubt i'd ever be able to make one myself.

Hello, welcome!

Yes I intend to have a production version for sale once it's done and I'll do my best to make it worth riding. What type of riding do you wish to use them for?

mostly recreational, i live in the middle of nowhere and there isnt much to do so having something like these would be a total blast, as fun as my regular skates are they just don't go fast enough and are a hassle to ride up hills

GrayMech said:
mostly recreational, i live in the middle of nowhere and there isnt much to do so having something like these would be a total blast, as fun as my regular skates are they just don't go fast enough and are a hassle to ride up hills

Nice, then I think you'll prefer the 3x110 (I'm pushing 4 wheels and 3 wheels), it's better suited for the road. Just need patience at this point as I still have a mountain of setup to test.

Or you can be early rider along the way if you're familiar with electronics and EV.

i'm great with computers but when it comes to circuits and putting stuff together i don't have a clue and i don't even know what EV is lol

got no choice but to wait unfortunately, i hope to learn about electronics and their inner workings at some point but don't know where to start and don't have a place to work at the moment, hopefully soon though~

Ryuudan said:
Nice to see I'm not alone.

I'm working doing the exact same thing for a couple years now.

My project though is a little more humble. I'm using low power motors aiming for range and lightweight instead of speed and power.

heres the preview:
hope it motivates you on your project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfJOw7kw8-c

i actually found your project the same day i found this board while i was searching around, it's a real shame you couldnt get the backing you needed to produce them, you had some really good ideas and designs that deserve more attention! i subbed to your youtube channel in hopes of future updates and followed your twitter on my alt, hoping to see more ThundrBlade in my feed in the future! :D

edit: i'm not used to this forum yet and only just realised this was a comment from 2015, ignore me, i'm dumb :oops:

Yo! New to the forum in general so forgive me if I’m bringing up a subject that was already discussed but didn’t see it. As for controlling these guys I have two main thoughts 1) is there currently a way to disengage the drive so it can be used manually without drag. And 2) would using pressure sensors on a central fulcrum work for detecting forward or stop (like a seesaw, pushing forward would show a specific angle on the pivot thus the closer that angle gets to 0 degrees relative to the toe the faster it goes and the closer it gets to 180 the harder the brakes)

Either way this project looks awesome and if there’s any way I can help out I’ll do what I can

Generally with a permanent magnet motor the cogging is going to reduce the coasting ability. If u do many more poles and teeth that can greatly reduce the cogging torque. Other types of motors can have no cogging torque and coast as well as a regular wheel but they arent as powerful at lower speeds. A switched reluctance motor seems a good candidate since probably don’t need that much torque on skates
Which is just replacing the magnets w iron

hey Vanarian, I wondered where you would be in your build and came to see your post.

that's some nice ideas and renders on your dec 2020 update. Hope you can prototype these because I want to see some videos of it.

in 2021 I will be coming back to building electric inlines, but going for a different route this time.

Much simpler and probably not going to please the hardcore inline skaters, but oh well.

basically, I'm going down the hub motors route again, but ditching some inline properties to make the build simpler and most importantly cheaper.

don't know if you are going to see this or my videos first, but my prototype will take a while longer anyway cause I don't really have the money to build one right now.

Ryuudan said:
hey Vanarian, I wondered where you would be in your build and came to see your post.

that's some nice ideas and renders on your dec 2020 update. Hope you can prototype these because I want to see some videos of it.

in 2021 I will be coming back to building electric inlines, but going for a different route this time.

Much simpler and probably not going to please the hardcore inline skaters, but oh well.

basically, I'm going down the hub motors route again, but ditching some inline properties to make the build simpler and most importantly cheaper.

don't know if you are going to see this or my videos first, but my prototype will take a while longer anyway cause I don't really have the money to build one right now.

Hey Ryu,

Thank you for your support!!

Yes it is being built currently so you'll be able to see more of it in the near future :wink: Lot of back work went into making it stronger and lighter altogether while keeping constraints in check, getting the design double checked etc.. and being able to put fat motors on it because speed haha

Very interested in your future works, wish you best of success for 2021! Curious to see how you will implement hub motors in the new design. Previous Thundrblade already were pretty fast!

Also I feel your pain for the money hurdle, 2020 was a difficult year truly. Let me know if I can help you out somehow to push the project forward.

BTW If you're planning on visiting France or close country hit me a message, would be happy to meet up and ride together.

Hi im an air gear fan long story short I'm working schematics for a chasis and would love to work with you I feelblike you're in the right direction I've been an air gear fan since I was 13 and I want to stay true to design. I'm a visual art student however I'm a fast learner and capable of finishing projects I'm passionate about especially when it comes to thisbi literally dream about it. Gonna come up with 3d models soon and work on building it. I'll show what I come up with

Akachi444 said:
Hi im an air gear fan long story short I'm working schematics for a chasis and would love to work with you I feelblike you're in the right direction I've been an air gear fan since I was 13 and I want to stay true to design. I'm a visual art student however I'm a fast learner and capable of finishing projects I'm passionate about especially when it comes to thisbi literally dream about it. Gonna come up with 3d models soon and work on building it. I'll show what I come up with

Hey Akachi,
Thank you for your support!
Nice to meet another future Storm Rider.

Do you plan on keeping it 2 wheels design to stay close to manga or you're looking to make it more inline skate with one or two middle wheels also?

It's a ratio between esthetic and handling.

Have you figured how you want to power it?

Sure would gladly discuss things with you.

Back