Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

SO much good info here, thanks guys.

I have not measured sag in anyway or any location other than what the CA display tells me :) My workshop is a dull, un powered, un heated, damp garage and the only sparky gear I have is a cheap multimeter...I am the ultimate garage bodge jobber!

The battery should be good for 1000+ amp draw at 35c rating and 40ah but I have not tested it any way outside of balance charger internal resistance and all was good.

Current controller and motor connectors are still xt90 but my other esc has been upgraded to xt150 and i will swap the motor ones for 150s too when I get to the esc swap.

Then to find a decent isolation switch I can add a resistor to for a pre charge to replace the less than tidy loop key situation I have now

ebike11 said:
justin_le said:
ebike11 said:
Im not getting any throttle response when i twist the throttle. My CA v3 is in Pass thru mode with grin shunt.
The throttle icon on the main screen is blinking nonstop and its in the WOT position.
I went to the diagnostics screen and seen THR ERR on the top left side, "In" of the screen.

This means that either the throttle voltage is higher than the Throttle Input Fault Voltage, setting, or the CA was powered up with the throttle on, and the throttle has remained on. The fault will only clear once the input throttle voltage falls below the Zero Throttle Threshold (or Min Throttle Input if you are using the CA3.0 rather than CA3.1)

CA3 Throttle In Settings.jpg
https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-analyst-3.html#ca31-setup-menu

Most likely you've simply set your zero throttle threshold to be higher than your actual throttle off voltage.

Ok thanks Ill check it this weekend.
Also I have a question about display voltage
Is there a way to adjust the voltage readout on the CA3 ? I have both CAs wired to the same battery pack but the voltages are a little off. Not too serious of a problem but Id like them to match
Im running dual motor system
Thanks

https://ibb.co/5G32Skw

Anyone have any idea? Thx

Any ideas on the key switch problem I have are appreciated...

loop key in = main battery power to esc. Key switch on = CA on....everything is fine and works as it should.

key switch off = CA off. If I leave the loop key in place and the ESC powered on here and then turn the key back to on, re powering the CA...the motor just starts to spin. The throttle has no effect and the bike wants to just cruise.....which was fun the first time it happened...not :)

Thanks

Is the CA actually outputting a throttle voltage above the minimum the ESC triggers on? (or a pulse width greater than the minimum, if it's a PWM throttle input on the ESC). If so, that sounds like a bug.

If not, then there is probably something about the ESC's throttle input that is reacting to a power-on transient.

amberwolf said:
Is the CA actually outputting a throttle voltage above the minimum the ESC triggers on? (or a pulse width greater than the minimum, if it's a PWM throttle input on the ESC). If so, that sounds like a bug.

If not, then there is probably something about the ESC's throttle input that is reacting to a power-on transient.

Thanks Amberwolf, these sound like good places to start...although I have no clue how to test for either :)? Yes, it is PWM throttle input I believe (RC motor and controller).

If it is a bug, it may well have been sorted in a newer firmware...Mine is as I got it a few year ago...I have never updated firmware fwiw

izeman said:
ebike11 said:
Anyone have any idea? Thx
No. You can't calibrate afaik, they should come calibrated.
You may want to play with the Cal->VScale value. But note the default to go back to those settings.

Ok I see.
I was able to get rid of the THR ERR on the diagnostics screen.
However on the diagnostics screen regarding the throttle, Im getting 0 power reading for "In" but "out" is reading properly. When I twist the throttle nothing happens

A voltmeter set to DC will probably register a higher average voltage even with a PWM throttle output, if the throttle is more than it should be for "zero".

First you can test with the system operating as it should, without any throttle engagement, so the signal is "zero". Whatever voltage you read there is what you should get in any other situation without throttle engagement.

If the voltage reads higher than that, while you see the motor doing something it shouldn't, then the CA is outputting something other than zero throttle.

If the voltage reads the same, then it is probably not the CA itself.

A check to make sure the meter test will work, measure while engaging the throttle, too, and see if the voltage goes up.

If it doesn't appear to read a voltage, you can put an RC filter on there, say a 1kohm resistor with one leg on the CA throttle signal output, the other leg going to the positive of a 1uF capacitor, and the negative of the cap go the ground wire of the throttle signal connector. The votlmeter's red lead would then go at the joint between cap and resistor. (this makes the PWM output charge the cap up so it becomes a DC voltage the meter can easily read).

Thank you...I think that is a little beyond me right now...I have removed the key switch for now to resolve the problem :)

Can anyone suggest what may be happening with one of my CA3-DPS? (CA3-13 full release, not the latest beta) I think it may be a faulty speed sensor but not sure.
With the bike powered up on work stand, I spin the front wheel with its sensor magnet attached, the speed does sense what appears to be correct........ until the wheel is almost stopped. Then I noticed, in the last turn or couple wheel turns, the speed reading goes faulty, reading up to or in excess of 100Kph but not over 200kph, the motor will not start when throttle is turned and the kph symbol in bottom right corner is flashing (setup speed limit is set to 500kph)(I think this has been coming into play when my wife is riding the bike). I realigned the front disc caliper to ensure virtually no drag. I have tried changing the magnet to a different size and shape, also checked alignment with the sensor and magnet. Neither seems to help. As soon as I re-spin the front wheel faster again or the front wheel stops entirely, the throttle is active again without the flashing Kph flag in the bottom right corner of CA screen. My throttle is in Amp control (70A), but that, a temp sensor, LVC at 42V, and a grintech trip wire on one brake, is the only limits on the motor (no speed limit untill the default 500Kph).
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Darryl

Whenever I've seen excessive speeds, it is a "noise" problem on the speedo line. Sometimes it's a bad connection, sometimes a bad sensor or magnet position, a couple times it's been a wire broken inside the insulation of the speedo cable. touching, but not completely.

Thanks amberwolf, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of, only thing that made sense to me, though I'm not that technically minded. Good to get a second opinion though before I go ordering spare sensors, and ripping apart the CA and attempting some dodgy soldering work. :oops:
Cheers.

I thought i saw allready everything.... :D

my throttle ramps up verrryy slowly....but only once at startup the bike.

start bike - go to left diagnostic screen - open throttle full - you see throttle out is slowly rising.

it needs a minute or so until it reached max throttle out(setting)
after that, it works normal.

same in all 3 modes.

Video:

[youtube]e7HmsRQjwD4[/youtube]

Merlin said:
my throttle ramps up verrryy slowly....but only once at startup the bike.

start bike - go to left diagnostic screen - open throttle full - you see throttle out is slowly rising.

it needs a minute or so until it reached max throttle out(setting)
after that, it works normal.

same in all 3 modes.

It doesn't sound like my problem, which only takes about 8 seconds, and occurs anytime I switch between certain types of presets / throttle modes.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37964&start=4375#p1443891

But it might be like this one, which was caused by a speed sensor problem:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37964&start=4375#p1444085

not sure but as you also wrote: iam not rolling the bike. so speed sensor shouldnt be a problem?!

i have no probs switching presets. its only when powering "On" the Cycle Analyst. When i set the Throttle to Bypass, no Throttle Delay at all.
so its definitly the CA :|

Merlin said:
not sure but as you also wrote: iam not rolling the bike. so speed sensor shouldnt be a problem?!

Same for me; so I don't think it's my problem either...havent' yet tested with the sensor on the motor wheel instead (still off-ground). Nor have I tested while rolling; once I saw the problem in offground tests I didn't put the problematic throttle mode into any of the active presets I'm using, as that would be dangerous if it affects the throttle that way on-road in traffic, and haven't had the chance to do any other testing / riding outside of my work commute.

i have no probs switching presets. its only when powering "On" the Cycle Analyst. When i set the Throttle to Bypass, no Throttle Delay at all.
so its definitly the CA :|

Two tests you can try: Power on, then ride immediately. See if it works normaly--if so, it's something wierd with the CA not seeing a speedo signal and affecting the throttle output based on that. If it still doesn't, then it's not the lack of speedo signal.

Second test, set throttle mode to Power or Speed mode if it's in Current mode, and see if it has the same problem.

teklektik said:
If this speed-based setup is not what you intended then I'm confused by the pot controlling speed. For a normal PAS setup you would just set the Start Assist to 650W, the RPM scaling to 0 (this is then just like the old AutoPAS), and configure AUXPot to control PAS. Set the getaway aggressiveness with PASRate. Done.

I encourage you to read the Help File or the ToolTips for the settings.

I ended up finding out I had a faulty throttle that was causing the surging. I've now set it up like the above, but with power limit on the pot instead of PAS so it takes off OK but if I have it at low power setting it cruises along gently. I still think I will get a switch and go for profiles, so I can have a speed limit set also on different profiles, so slow cruising will be a low power limit, low PAS start and speed limited so it stops powering at certain speeds.

No more news on Cycle Analyst?

What about the Android App you announced over a year ago:

"Next up on the CA3 front: Android app support"

Bug report! ;)

I've updated from FW v3.12 to v3.13x1G today (checked all the settings and had to correct some).
So far, all good, except the max speed value has no decimal dot.
It reads 654km/h (my trike is pretty quick, but not that fast :D)

I'm not entirely sure if 65.4km/h would be the correct max speed, though. I'll have to check that tomorrow.
Average speed of 30.1km/h and 20.3Wh/km all seem plausible and are in line with my usual stats.

Before I forget:
Justin,
thanks for implementing the battery cell voltage display (without battery voltage) in the Experimental firmware! :)

Update:
Today, the max speed was again recorded as 654km/h.
So not only the dot is missing, but the whole max speed value is completely bogus.

Hello,
It is some time since I made a post, but I have a question about my CA3.
I have been using it for over three years now without any problems.
My MTB is running rear bldc at 2000w (2150w sometimes) and has been happily running for the last three years or more on a 12s3p RC battery pack. But, that pack has now gone to the point of no use.
I have now built a new pack with 32700 Litokala Lifep04 batteries. 16s2p (12 to 13ah). They seem to be working fine from what i see.
Now my question. I have reset the CA3 to Lifep04 batteries at 16s and after charging I get the battery indicator full as I would expect. Voltage around the 56v mark. After one or more runs during a trip, if I stop somewhere, when I restart, voltage reads correct, but the battery icon shows empty. This happens at random and sometimes the display of the battery icon comes back after another start.
Is this because of the Lifep04 chemistry.
Apart from the battery pack and changing type in CA3, nothing else has changed.

If I try the current throttle through the CA, once I get it dialed in is there any risk with a very high power rig? I'd hate to be out riding on wet roads especially and have the throttle suddenly turn into a pass-through throttle mode. I use Zombiess Throttle Tamers now to slow the throttle ramp up time, but I'd like to try the CA3 throttle instead.

I have several of the CA3 with the bug where the CA's screen intermittently doesn't light up when I turn on the key. Could that make a difference and result in direct pass thru of the throttle, because sometimes I don't notice that the CA didn't light up until I'm already riding.

Hello everybody. It's my first post on this forum, I hope I write in the right topic and that the question hasn't already been answered. Tried the search engine first of course.

I ordered a cycle analyst v3 and some accessories to use with a motor and battery I already had, but on a different bike (a hase pino tandem). And I'm stuck on the configuration of the CA. I want it to be used with a PAS sensor and an auxiliary potentiometer (the one from grin technologies) to adjust the power on the fly.

I have trouble configuring the potentiometer : View attachment 1

When I turn the button, I see the voltage going from 0 to 4,99V but the right part of the screen always stays at 00%, with every function I've tried (speed, power, PAS level...). Any idea where it may come from ? Maybe some interference with throttle or ebrake configuration ?

I guess the easier is to share the configuration file so I put it in attachment.
Thanks,

I couldn't extract the attached file, gets error that compression method is unsupported, so I can't check your settings.

However, this page
https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/ca-accessories/aux-input/ca3-aux-al.html
list the steps for setting up that particular aux pot. if it's already setup like that, i dunno what might be wrong.

Maybe like this for the config file ?

yeah I've seen this procedure, on the website plus it was attached with the auxput. With CA updates the menu has slightly changed but besides that it's configured like indicated.

Attachments

• Pino V1.zip
    576 bytes · Views: 53
Back