Running a 230V 50hz Stove from UK

vinnygalbo

1 µW
I've got an expensive electric stove from UK that is 50hz that I would like to use in the US. Is there any inexpensive converters that can make 60hz power that can work with this appliance? An industrial solution was suggested that would work https://www.valinonline.com/products/esv251n01sxb . I'm looking for something commercial that is readily available for similar situations.

I'm not sure you have to convert anything, feed it 240/60. The difference in frequency probably won't matter if it's fairly modern and uses DC electronics for clocks, etc. Worst thing I could see happening is some motors might run at 120% speed.

Unless it's got a power supply for control electronics that depends on the 50hz, it might work fine on 60hz; the actual elements and whatnot would work on either 50 or 60.

The power supply itself may well be designed to run on either frequency; it may have it's own label with it's specs on it inside the stove, whereever the main electronics are.

If it's old type with electromechanical controls or clocks, they'll run faster.

That said, if you want to use a converter on the whole unit for simplicity, it's going to have to be capable of handling the full load of all the elements on at the same time, in case you ever end up using it that way. I don't know that the stove would actually pull it, but the outlet I have in my kitchen is 240V 50A, which multiplies out to around 12kW.

The link you have there is only good for 250W, so it would probably run just the control electronics, as long as you can isolate those from the elements so they can run on different AC supplies.

The main problem with changing frequencies is electromagnetic parts like transformers and motors. Running a 60Hz transformer on 50Hz will make it run hot and could burn out, but the other way around - 50Hz UK transformer on US 60Hz supply is fine. This could be relevant of your appliance has a fan oven but otherwise probably not, as heating elements don't care about frequency.

The manufacturer might be able to advise but if they don't know they'll default to saying "no" out of caution.

Come on, the frequency difference is meaningless in practice.

You say stove, is that just a heater or does it have some 'smarts'?
If it's just a heater, it will just run with half the power in the us. You might want to consider that if that's enough for you. As those transformers are hidiously expensive at those powers.

Or consider replacing the heating elements.
With some luck that's not even necessary. Perhaps the 230v version runs two heating elements bin series and the 110v runs them in parallel.
Many products are dual voltage internally.

As for any smart components. Let's have a look. Chances are it doesn't even matter much at all.

Just for the record, halving the voltage into a resistive device like a light bulb, heating element or brushed DC motor will reduce the power to one-quarter, not one-half :)

Hm, I was once good at this stuff. I guess that's why I suddenly trust my intuition. :)
Bad mistake.

Back