TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

Hi guys,
just wanted to let you know I am extremely happy with the effort put into this open source firmware. I was quite pleased with the TSDZ2, but some things were nagging quite badly. With this effort, I can enjoy a better implementation and hopefully add my efforts to the development.

One thing that I was disappointed about was that the lights would cause an issue where support would drop out every time I stop pushing the pedals. I may be one of the few people who want to run the lights off of the TSDZ2. Great about open source is that it's ... open. So I had a look and I think I found the issue.

I've put my findings in the issue on GitHub, please have a look whether my reasoning makes sense and if so, I'll put in a patch for this.
https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike/issues/71#

Best regards
Daniel

V0.19.X (BETA) works fine. I tested walk assist and cruise and both of them were working. It was quite difficult to drive because steets were covered with ice and slush. After all it was dangerous.

OneIcyRoad.jpg

eyebyesickle said:
casainho said:
Well, on that time, if I remember, almost no one was selling it and was expensive like 100 euros, now it is very different.

I appreciate if you can send me 1 unit, but I am only evaluate for now. Please share pictures of the internal boards, etc, that is the most important for now.

The clock needs a specific piece of hardware to keep clock working while power is disconnected. Can you please confirm that original firmware has clock??

eyebyesickle said:
This is the display I recommended, due to ease if update, compact size, price, and quality. It is the SW102 from TOPOLOGY.

HOWEVER... These won't be compatible with the open source firmware... I am working on hiring someone to make this display compatible with the open source firmware, or as an alternative, to make the open source firmware compatible with the stock displays/protocol... So we will see how that goes... It's all outside my expertise but I'm determined to make it work!

Back at the end of August =). Only the Eggrider was alway expensive, but the SW102 was always readily available and cheap. I know now a couple more companies offer it, but if it doesn't have bluetooth, that completely defeats the purpose, does it not? For this to be realistic, you will have to have bluetooth... so someone will have to special order batches anyway... so that seems like slightly flawed reasoning... Also, FYI - these are so small I predict problems with disassembly, soldering etc, and reassembly, not only because of the size and limited internal space, but also because that it is put together without hardware mostly... so I fear there will be problems, and of course the waterproof/structural integrity will be compromised...

As for the clock, good to know about the hardware - I had no idea. The firmware I use does have a clock, but I am not sure of it functioning when the unit is 'off'/resting. I don't usually have these units mounted long term, still in testing phase. Except for on one model, but it has been sitting for quite a while with no battery at all... With the hardware you speak of, will the clock work long term unplugged, or can it just be off but still has to be plugged into a power source?

As for the 'original' firmware you question... There is not really 'standard' firmware...to my knowledge everyone's will be different mostly. Typically a bulk purchaser who gets access to certain things signs an NDA so there is only certain things to talk about...but typically someone would fill an application with requirements for firmware...so the starting point for everyone may be quite different. I was very disappointed with the firmware from these when I originally tested them, actually - but it is so easily changed!

Anyway, I don't plan to open any of my units, they are very easy to reprogram and I already have been working towards my own goal for some time on these. The clock is not important to me as I always know what time it is anyway... unless I misunderstand something.

So first things first, I think maybe you should open your unit from PSWpower, since it does not have bluetooth anyway, and it will not quite be a waste if it doesn't work out for you, since you cannot reprogram it anyway... The units I have are very easy to reprogram with blue tooth, so I don't want to ruin one for no reason, if you are still not sure if you are interested. I think it will be good to open the unit that doesn't have bluetooth function to learn if you think it is acceptable now, and if you think so, I would be happy to then send you unit(s) with bluetooth, and collaborate further if the situation calls for it.
I really hope that it is only 1 hardware model and Bluetooth is only disabled on firmware.

I am also afraid it may be difficult to solder programming cable because it is very small.

Well, I will test with the unit I bough.

michih. said:
I have a Bug in the 18.2
When i Start pedaling in odometer blinking 1 and there is no assist. The same is with the walk assist. Push the down Button bike Start and after 1-2 sec the 1 blinking and Motor stop.

When i start pedaling in a flat area is no problem....
Only on uphill....

Mfg Michael

Remedy found. Menu 11 point 2 Set to 0

Mfg Michael

FYI, no worries, either way if you like the display we really can make it work for everyone. We can make it cheap and available to everyone. I really like this display and see it being viable for a few reasons:

- I think this display is as small as is realistically possible/appropriate. Any smaller, there would be trouble reading the screen (which I will admit, some people do have this issue already). To me, that means it will last in the market. Even with a slightly more square screen that would be desirable, the layout may suffer...and it would take more space on the handlebar. Even if the shell was made with stronger material, the screen is still the weak point, which is quite strong already, so what I'm saying in short, is I think this display is well made, and would be hard to improve on, which will make it last in the market.

- Price and cross compatibility. It is very reasonable to buy bulk, one of the cheapest modern displays, with reasonable MOQ... Also, you can get units wired standard for the BBS, then just have a conversion/extension cable, that allows adaptation to the older TSDZ2 model, or direct plug in for the newer versions that use the 1 to 4 ebus cables. We already get these bulk for the 850c models (I majorly jumped the gun on this) . This way, users can simply switch firmware in an instant for either BBS, or TSDZ2 open source... The advantage to this is when bulk ordering, one size will fit all (other than extension/conversion cable). This means, much more viable for several companies to order bulk with low risk, as it appeals to more than one market demand. I have a couple of these companies everyone here buys from on standby to place larger bulk orders. We talk slot behind the scenes, as to not cut each Luther's throats in business, and also to provide sensible solutions for the public. (I'm very small business, but think big and network).

- Great manufacturer communication. They are one of the most responsive companies I have ever dealt with, very good business. They also would pre-load firmware If we want, no problem. Although it's so easy to change yourself. Point is, it's great when people work with you, and this company does just that.

- Bluetooth doesn't only mean easy firmware upgrade, but means you can send/log/and change data from phone if you make the app (I have experts for that here. fYI) and this makes it user friendly with big screen capabilities as well. Best of both worlds.

There is more, but I have to go. Just know that if you like this display, I can assure you, I can have multiple companies carrying this for cheap and widely available at the most competitive price, moderniser friendly for everyone, still with all the functions. Clock may be an issue, but maybe not if just linked with phone anyway?

Very happy you are considering this now, and if you like it, I can get you much more info and help also directly from manufacturer , although we will have to discuss exact NDA guidelines with them. Maybe not, but relations are good and i want want to step on toes...

Best Regards

eyebyesickle said:
FYI, no worries, either way if you like the display we really can make it work for everyone. We can make it cheap and available to everyone. I really like this display and see it being viable for a few reasons:
A display with a USB charger plug is just about essential if you’re using a phone for anything on a bike and this doesn’t have one.

James Broadhurst said:
eyebyesickle said:
A display with a USB charger plug is just about essential if you’re using a phone for anything on a bike and this doesn’t have one.
Good point.

TSDZ2 survival mode and limitations of KT-LCD3

Yesterday, when I was far from everything on top of mountains, I found myself stressed because my TSDZ2 stopped working correctly due to an issue on the speed sensor... luckily I was able to correct the issue but I almost had to quit :-(

I remember someone before talking about this, that firmware should be done to not depend on the speed sensor and I didn't understand the real importance.

When I am on the mountains, the environment is harsh, it is very easy to have problem on the wheels because of branches of the trees that are on the ground. It is also easy to fall at speed and break something...

I would like to have the firmware with options to disable:
1. speed sensor
2. brake sensors (because mine uses a glue magnet which I think can be easy to break, the sensor itself or even the magnet glue and if that happens, TSDZ2 will not work).
3. LCD (easy to break on a fall? -- I already had some falls but never happened and I didn't saw that as a possibility)

For now I prefer to keep LCD as I didn't found yet a real need to "disable" it. To full disabled it, maybe a good idea is like others told: use a small bluetooth module and keep maybe near the power cable, as we can't "disable"/avoid the power cables.

I really think 1. and 2. should be done and I will do it myself as I have planned a long trip of 1 week with girlfriend and I do not want any of our bicycles with TSDZ2 failing.

I understand that KT-LCD3 is on its memory limit and can't handle more options and so because of this I see more and more important the firmware for 850C LCD (also I am using now 850C on our bicycles).

Last week i broke Speed sensor Cable in off road. Odometer do Not work But motor works as usual. Why your do Not works?

andrea_104kg said:
Last week i broke Speed sensor Cable in off road. Odometer do Not work But motor works as usual. Why your do Not works?
My sensor was reading very high speed values, intermittent. I was getting cut offs of the motor power.

What is your opinion of the LCD possible problems like that you had but on the speed sensor??

casainho said:

Yesterday, when I was far from everything on top of mountains, I found myself stressed because my TSDZ2 stopped working correctly due to an issue on the speed sensor... luckily I was able to correct the issue but I almost had to quit :-(

I remember someone before talking about this, that firmware should be done to not depend on the speed sensor and I didn't understand the real importance.

When I am on the mountains, the environment is harsh, it is very easy to have problem on the wheels because of branches of the trees that are on the ground. It is also easy to fall at speed and break something...

1. speed sensor
2. brake sensors (because mine uses a glue magnet which I think can be easy to break, the sensor itself or even the magnet glue and if that happens, TSDZ2 will not work).
3. LCD (easy to break on a fall? -- I already had some falls but never happened and I didn't saw that as a possibility)

For now I prefer to keep LCD as I didn't found yet a real need to "disable" it. To full disabled it, maybe a good idea is like others told: use a small bluetooth module and keep maybe near the power cable, as we can't "disable"/avoid the power cables.

I really think 1. and 2. should be done and I will do it myself as I have planned a long trip of 1 week with girlfriend and I do not want any of our bicycles with TSDZ2 failing.

I understand that KT-LCD3 is on its memory limit and can't handle more options and so because of this I see more and more important the firmware for 850C LCD (also I am using now 850C on our bicycles).

Just unplug your speed sensor the TSDZ2 works fine without it except you will lose power to the lights. The high reading is usually caused by a weak signal such as a badly aligned magnet. Same with brakes it works fine if they are not plugged in.

Rafe said:
Just unplug your speed sensor the TSDZ2 works fine without it. The high reading is usually caused by a weak signal such as a badly aligned magnet. Same with brakes it works fine if they are not plugged in.
I can't unplug because everything is hardwired and well protected against water, etc.

James Broadhurst said:
eyebyesickle said:

Interesting... Good to hear different requirements for people. To me, it's not a big deal, and my batteries mostly have USB anyway, plus I have converter cables with USB for bare packs. I think it's worth charging directly from battery of needed, to get the smaller 'better' (opinion, of course) display. If a USB is required, a bigger display is needed of course. Well, either way, I am, and have been hard at work with these, perhaps others will hop on board after they try it. Time will tell!

SW102 display is a good solution, if it works, for a small display and with Bluetooth.

If we want a small display we can have it without an usb port.

It's a display, not a smartphone charger.

Regards

casainho said:

1. speed sensor

I agree. In the stock firmware we can drive without the speed sensor connected and with no speed limitations.

Sometimes I also have problems with the sensor and I have to adjust it during the ride.

A disable option it is ok.

Regards

I have to be more precise. A short circuit occurred when the speed sensor cable was broken. For a moment the engine stopped and I saw the speed of 56kmh on the speedometer, even though I was almost still. Then I unplugged the connector and it all started again. So in fact a short circuit between the sensor wires can stop the motor. I doubt that a simple option in the software can heal a short circuit but I'm ignorant of it

andrea_104kg said:
I have to be more precise. A short circuit occurred when the speed sensor cable was broken. For a moment the engine stopped and I saw the speed of 56kmh on the speedometer, even though I was almost still. Then I unplugged the connector and it all started again. So in fact a short circuit between the sensor wires can stop the motor. I doubt that a simple option in the software can heal a short circuit but I'm ignorant of it
Since I remember, there is a protection on firmware to stop assist if wheel speed is 0. I must check, the important is to make system robust to failures or inexistent sensors.

Also would be good to have system working only with torque sensor OR PAS. I had a motor with torque sensor not working but PAS working perfectly.

casainho said:
Since I remember, there is a protection on firmware to stop assist if wheel speed is 0. I must check, the important is to make system robust to failures or inexistent sensors.

Hi Casainho it was me that had this problem way back and had to peddle in most of the way to work without any assistance. At them time no one thought it was important enough to worry about, but yes a simple change in the code to check the peddle cadence instead of wheel speed will solve the issue of a faulty sensor.

Glad you were able to get it going again but you can really feel the extra drag on the peddles when motor is disabled. If anyone has any time it would be nice to see if we can change the design a little so that you have not drag when the motor isn't working ?

I also often come across the disconnection of motor assistance due to the displacement of the magnet on the spokes. On the other hand, this tells me that I need to adjust the position of the magnet so that all motor functions work correctly (measuring distance, speed, etc.) But disabling the speed sensor is not a good idea. And the work of the motor with a biased magnet is also bad, because other indicators will be distorted!

casainho said:
andrea_104kg said:

Also would be good to have system working only with torque sensor OR PAS. I had a motor with torque sensor not working but PAS working perfectly.

As I said earlier the TSDZ2 works perfectly OK in Open Source Firmware if the speed senor is disconnected I also confirmed that before posting with a quick test ride (latest firmware version) with the sensor unplugged.

Running into an issue with 18.0 that I'm hoping is just a configuration problem that you guys can help out with. Assist is working properly from a stop, but then 3-5 seconds later it cuts out. Almost like I have boost turned on (I have boost disabled) and when boost fades out there is no power there. I can get the assist to kick back in, but only after wheelspeed has returned to 0.

Any thoughts?

I still use the vers. 0.16.0 with LCD3 and in another bike Marcoq's software with VLCD6 and I can confirm that with the speed sensor disconnected the two bikes work well.

AZUR said:
SW102 display is a good solution, if it works, for a small display and with Bluetooth.

If we want a small display we can have it without an usb port.

It's a display, not a smartphone charger.

Regards

I agree it would be very nice to be able to use the small SW 102 display with the Bluetooth, because with the phone you can still modify the many options offered by the software Flexible_OpenSource_firmwares of Casainho :thumb:

Yes, it could be amazing to use this SW12 witch is small, if BT work ...
I m using bryton rider and don t need all informations from LCD3, when the software is OK .
My only need is configure perfectly assist level for my need and save battery usage .

I have the smal Display on my other bike with a bafang bbs02. I musst say, yes is enough Information and the Bluetooth Update and configuration via App is great!!!

Mfg Michael

Back