Zokes EVG ebike fix.

curbcheck86

1 µW
I have a ZOKES Lee Iacooca EVG 24v ebike.
I am trying to rebuild it using stacked 18650 batteries.
I got the battery problem solved already and now have a bike that shows signs of life, but when I went to test it, realized that the throttle assembly was missing a crucial component. It isn't going to work without the thumb lever. I ordered a universal 5 wire throttle, and now I can't find a pinout anywhere for the stock throttle. Can anyone help me with this?

from another thread, altered a bit to fit your circumstances:

amberwolf said:
First, is the original throttle a potentiometer throttle or a hall throttle?

A multimeter can be used to tell which you have. Disconect throttle from bike wiring, then set meter on ohms, black to one of the three throttle wires, red to one of the other two. turn the throttle grip or lever from min to max, and if the meter reading changes smoothly from low to high or high to low values, i'ts a potentiometer. If not, move the red wire to the last of the three wires, and try again. If it still doesn't change, then eitehr there's something wrong with the wiring or pot, or it is a hall type throttle.

If you're still not sure, you can open it up and see if there's a tiny black box with three wires, or if there's a big metal cylinder with three wires and a knob/post sticking out of one end. The former is a hall, the latter is a pot.

Both types exist and are easy to find in grip type (and sometimes in thumb type), but you'll have to check which one it is, and note where the wiring connects (because nothing except the original throttle will just plug in and go).

If there are other things on the throttle unit like switches or indicator lights, you may need to leave the original throttle on the bars to keep those, moved over to leave room for the new throttle.

Once you know which type yours is, we can work out how to wire it up (if it is compatible).

Once you're making the jump to a new battery, it's not much further of a leap to just get a modern brushless motor and controller... Those frames are great all arounders, and there's tons of cheap drive packages out there.

Then comes getting rid of the tiny crank and putting a carbon 55 tooth on to pedal up to speed, and hydraulic disc brakes with a custom rear adaptor. Or not, wherever you're into 😉

Back