new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Hi guys

I am about to order a cyclone kit, and as the websites that sells them have minimal info, I was wondering if somebody could tell me what is needed exactly. Preferable with links. I have read all posts in this thread, but could still use some guidance. I am used to custom builds, but not mid motors. The bike is ready, I only need help with the motor setup.

I have a 25Ah 72v battery allready and was planning to use a 48t cranck wheel. What else should I get?
The 25kmt limited PAS is very interesting, but maybe I will use a CA3 instead.
I have read that the freewheel should be HD?
Budget about 650$, but you never know, right......
All inputs are appreciated. :bigthumb:

If you are handy and not afraid of doing a little fabrication, get the kit, probably the ISIS bottom bracket and crank arms and then sort out the brackets, freewheels, idlers, etc. as you find issues or break stuff.

There is a new kit from another manufacturer that looks promising and a bit more polished but more expensive too. There is a thread on it and the first units should be arriving soon, look at that one to see how they go together before you buy, I have a feeling that they might be a better drop in setup and Cyclone will remain the budget 3kw champ (for now).

Some times a little more up front works out better unless you like a project.

The manufacturer of the other kit (CYC) told me they will be offering an upgraded cyclone priced between the two this spring.
I have a standard cyclone which is definitely a "developer" kit. The ISIS cranks are mandatory but everything else can be fixed as needed.

What bike is it going on?

Thanks guys, good that I did not pull the trigger then.
How about a link to this mystery kit/thread? Never mind, wow, sexy it is!!

Well, ok. It will no be a Cyclone this time. Thanks for the heads up.
But I got a pic on the new Cyclone comming in mid Jan.
It looks very promising.

Electricglider said:
It looks very promising.

Got any specs? Looks like the 3kw with (finally) a proper mount.

Tommm said:
Electricglider said:
It looks very promising.

Got any specs? Looks like the 3kw with (finally) a proper mount.

No specs, but they are very informative in their FB chat https://www.facebook.com/CYCMOTORLTD/

Does anyone know which wires to jumper for maximum RPM on the newer Cyclone controllers which don't have a purple wire?
Tried black with white to ground and that slowed it. Tried blue to ground and it won't run.
Black with white to blue runs normal speed.

Tommm said:
ryanf55 said:
That's easy:)

So I got the replacement throttle hall sensor working. Had to use an Arduino to invert the signal, but it works alright. For whatever reason, the new sensor is very jittery, and makes the throttle jump around a bunch, so I implemented some mediocre filtering. Also, the controller is sending 4.5V out to the sensor, which prohibits a 5V arduino from being used!

In the same boat. Got a new sensor (leg broke off old one) range of signal is even more compressed. "Adjust accelerator curve" setting is good to keep it usable. First and last third is dead. Since the controller does send out 4.5v instead of 5v, thinking of sourcing the 5v from somewhere else. In the documentation it says throttle is from 1v to 4v, very perplexed as the sensor should do (1v to (source voltage-1v)), so (1v to 3.5v), which is not the case.

I used a 3.3V arduino with the 4.5V line as RAW input. The controller still reaches max speed at 3.3V signal from arduino. I also have the jumpers on the motor set to high RPM, so there is a chance it isn't 100% speed, but it seems close enough.

Here the latest picture of my display. I still need to figure out the serial interface on the controller to read all the sensors, add torque sensing, cadence sensing, and electronic shifting. If there are any electrical engineers out there or software engineers willing to help, please let me know! Right now, I just reverse engineered the half twist throttle, made it more ergonomic, and moved the display and key ignition to over the stem. SW1.JPGSW2.JPG

Attachments

• sensor1.png
    sensor1.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,841
Luna Cycle has another controller for the C3000 rated at 4000w with. FOC sinewave output to motor. $200.

See: https://lunacycle.com/asi-bac-800-controller-72v-version/

Has anyone tried the ASI BAC 800 72v. Controller?

Note also: Made in Canada

I see the 800 is not yet available.

DingusMcGee said:
Luna Cycle has another controller for the C3000 rated at 4000w with. FOC sinewave output to motor. $200.

See: https://lunacycle.com/asi-bac-800-controller-72v-version/

Has anyone tried the ASI BAC 800 72v. Controller?

Note also: Made in Canada

I see the 800 is not yet available.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69867&p=1377962&hilit=bac+800#p1377962

Looks like a half-assed product.

Has anyone used collar clamps to mount a cyclone directly to the down tube? I saw a guy on YouTube weld some clamps to work with the cyclone, but he never posted any follow-up on how well they worked. I think he used aluminum. I bought some steel ones and had them welded up, and they seem to be working really well. The motor has zero lateral movement, and I don't need a chain tensioner. Here are a few pictures. Is there something I need to be worried about with this setup?

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 2,473
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 2,460
"Left side". I'm only using 2 shaft collars to mount it (other one is hidden behind sprockets). Yeah, the integrity of the aluminum was a concern of mine, but I didn't need to apply a lot of torque for the shaft collars to hold tight in place. They are super grippy (I added some flat black vinyl wrap around tube so it's not metal on metal). I wonder what the safe clamp pressure is on 1.77" aluminum bike tubing. The clamps were advertised as 1.75" if anyone is interested. So far, they are working flawlessly. The stainless steel coupling nuts fit perfectly inside the gap from the gear cover to the interior bolt holes. I initially tried using the factory mounts, and they had so much flex and a shitty chain tensioner that I set the project aside for a while and worked on my EEB. EEB sucks to pedal, so I turned it into a motorcycle. I missed pedaling, and this cyclone is amazing even with stock controller and 36v.

That definitely is slick. I'm unsure it would be enough with my 72v setup that is going to be pushing 4kw. However as a supplimental mount I think it has a lot of promise. I was planning to use u-bolts with plenty of material to spread the loads.

As it is right now flex is causing me to toss primary chains under heavy load.

CYC (GNG) are now selling an upgraded Cyclone 3000w. They changed some bearings, freewheel, mount, etc.. The gears might be metal too.

Some components are even shared between the X1.

https://www.gngebike.com/gng-2019-3000w

Also, since the 4000w cyclone motor is the same thing but a 30% wider stator section, they said if there is interest they will do mounts for that one too.

I sent them a FB message to see if they'd sell a cyclone "upgrade kit" with the new mounts, tensioner etc. If it's <150 shipped I'd be tempted.

I'm not sure about the 4kw motor though. I think you'd start getting into some nasty Q-factor to clear the left side unless you built very long brackets or possibly shaved material off that crank.

Grantmac said:
I sent them a FB message to see if they'd sell a cyclone "upgrade kit" with the new mounts, tensioner etc. If it's <150 shipped I'd be tempted.

I'm not sure about the 4kw motor though. I think you'd start getting into some nasty Q-factor to clear the left side unless you built very long brackets or possibly shaved material off that crank.

I have the 4kw motor. Well a hailong pack won't cut it anyway because you need a big, high output battery. Compared to the 4-6kw power you will run through the motor, your legs will be useless and will be resting on the pedals like foot pegs, so it really doesn't matter. The motor itself isn't 30% longer, just the stator part (where the heatsink ribs are).

They motor is 34mm longer overall. You can see diagrams on the cyclone website.

Personally I really dislike a very wide peddle stance. Perhaps with some custom cranks it would feel okay. More power is always desirable.

Edit: they just confirmed that upgrades would be available eventually. Waiting on cost.

Grantmac said:
They motor is 34mm longer overall. You can see diagrams on the cyclone website.

Personally I really dislike a very wide peddle stance. Perhaps with some custom cranks it would feel okay. More power is always desirable.

Edit: they just confirmed that upgrades would be available eventually. Waiting on cost.

Sounds great, like I said, with 1.8kwh the pegs could be as far as on a harley, doesn't change anything for me.

Curious to hear which parts they have changed, the big silver end cap part is panted differently but the shape is identical.

Tommm said:
I have the 4kw motor. Well a hailong pack won't cut it anyway because you need a big, high output battery. Compared to the 4-6kw power you will run through the motor, your legs will be useless and will be resting on the pedals like foot pegs,

Yep, that's exactly the kind of thing that's going to spoil the party for honest e-bikers.

Be ethical and license your motorcycle, or just be a dirtbag and screw things up for everybody. Your call.

Chalo said:
Tommm said:
I have the 4kw motor. Well a hailong pack won't cut it anyway because you need a big, high output battery. Compared to the 4-6kw power you will run through the motor, your legs will be useless and will be resting on the pedals like foot pegs,

Yep, that's exactly the kind of thing that's going to spoil the party for honest e-bikers.

Be ethical and license your motorcycle, or just be a dirtbag and screw things up for everybody. Your call.

Like 3000 or 4000 watts will make a big difference in the legal department or pedaling for that matter. We are all dirtbags here ;)

Back