TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

gaber said:
Running into an issue with 18.0 that I'm hoping is just a configuration problem that you guys can help out with. Assist is working properly from a stop, but then 3-5 seconds later it cuts out. Almost like I have boost turned on (I have boost disabled) and when boost fades out there is no power there. I can get the assist to kick back in, but only after wheelspeed has returned to 0.

Any thoughts?

Any ideas on this? Would it be beneficial to wipe my configurations back to factory and try that? (not sure how to do that) This is my first time troubleshooting things, I remember conversations somewhere in the history of this thread on how to do that....but couldn't find anything captured in the wiki. TIA!

gaber said:
gaber said:
Running into an issue with 18.0 that I'm hoping is just a configuration problem that you guys can help out with. Assist is working properly from a stop, but then 3-5 seconds later it cuts out. Almost like I have boost turned on (I have boost disabled) and when boost fades out there is no power there. I can get the assist to kick back in, but only after wheelspeed has returned to 0.

Any thoughts?

Any ideas on this? Would it be beneficial to wipe my configurations back to factory and try that? (not sure how to do that) This is my first time troubleshooting things, I remember conversations somewhere in the history of this thread on how to do that....but couldn't find anything captured in the wiki. TIA!

Motor assistance startup without pedal rotation.
Set this to 0

Mfg

Anybody trying to build the latest github code under linux? Im getting a crashing sdcc :(
Code:
sdcc -c -I../../common/STM8S_StdPeriph_Lib/inc -I. -I../../ -mstm8 -Ddouble=float --std-c99 --nolospre --out-fmt-elf   -olcd.c lcd.c
*** buffer overflow detected ***: sdcc terminated

Linux Mint 18.2
SDCC : stm8 3.8.0 #10562 (Linux) (crashing with 3.7, too)

shaddi said:
Anybody trying to build the latest github code under linux? Im getting a crashing sdcc :(
Code:
sdcc -c -I../../common/STM8S_StdPeriph_Lib/inc -I. -I../../ -mstm8 -Ddouble=float --std-c99 --nolospre --out-fmt-elf   -olcd.c lcd.c
*** buffer overflow detected ***: sdcc terminated

Linux Mint 18.2
SDCC : stm8 3.8.0 #10562 (Linux) (crashing with 3.7, too)
I think that happens when static variables inside functions are initialized, see the comment on main.c file about this.

Other times happens when variable names are too big.

michih. said:
gaber said:
gaber said:

Any thoughts?

Set this to 0

Mfg

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. Any other ideas before I just flash the LCD with zeros and reflash 0.18.0?

gaber said:
michih. said:
gaber said:
gaber said:

Any thoughts?

Set this to 0

Mfg

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. Any other ideas before I just flash the LCD with zeros and reflash 0.18.0?

Fixed it! Just needed to flash zeros to wipe everything out, then reflash and reconfigure the LCD.

gaber said:
michih. said:
gaber said:
gaber said:

Any thoughts?

Set this to 0

Mfg

Check that you have not inadvertently selected Max power to 25 watts, this is exactly what happens if it is. It is very easy to do when pressing the up button to also press the enter below at the same time and that takes you into set max power mode, and it usually notches up one setting from the default off setting of zero and that next setting is 25 watts.

Rafe said:
gaber said:
michih. said:
gaber said:

Set this to 0

Mfg

Check that you have not inadvertently selected Max power to 25 watts, this is exactly what happens if it is. It is very easy to do when pressing the up button to also press the enter below at the same time and that takes you into set max power mode, and it usually notches up one setting from the default off setting of zero and that next setting is 25 watts.

Had also checked that. Whatever it was got reset with the flash.

elem said:
Yes, it could be amazing to use this SW12 witch is small, if BT work ...
I m using bryton rider and don t need all informations from LCD3, when the software is OK .
My only need is configure perfectly assist level for my need and save battery usage .

I was going to post a video to show you the progress (have it working with SW102 already) but then I accidentally fried my controller =( =( =( =( NOOOO!

I have not done that in a while - rookie mistake.

I have a batch of SW102 with bluetooth coming, withthe TSDZ2 compatible firmware... if people are seriously interested in working or helping with the project, I will send a few out... I think I can spare maybe 3 Units, 1 of which is reserved for casianho... if you are interested, let me know

AZUR said:
SW102 display is a good solution, if it works, for a small display and with Bluetooth.

If we want a small display we can have it without an usb port.

It's a display, not a smartphone charger.

Regards

Winner winner, chicken dinner =)

:mrgreen:

Help with math to setup assist levels

I need to setup assist levels on my girlfriend new bicycle and I would like to have a formula that I could use to setup the assist levels to my son bicycle and even mine. If we know how to do it, I can share on documentation so it is easier for everyone.

My girlfriend tested max and min measured values of pedal human power on LCD3:
Max: 180 watts
Min: 40 watts

Also I want to setup min motor assistance power as min of 75 watts and max of 500 watts.

Also I think that every increase of assist level should have +50% of previous value.

Do you guys know how to calculate each assist level multiplier??

eyebyesickle said:
AZUR said:
SW102 display is a good solution, if it works, for a small display and with Bluetooth.

If we want a small display we can have it without an usb port.

It's a display, not a smartphone charger.

Regards

Winner winner, chicken dinner =)

:mrgreen:
Pork dinner in MN?

eyebyesicle : I have a batch of SW102 with bluetooth coming, withthe TSDZ2 compatible firmware... if people are seriously interested in working or helping with the project, I will send a few out... I think I can spare maybe 3 Units, 1 of which is reserved for casianho... if you are interested, let me know

yes i am
Actualy using KT-LCD3, are the SW102 connector compatible with standard higo KT-LCD3 ?
Do you have a link to BT program ( android one ) ?

casainho : Also I want to setup min motor assistance power as min of 75 watts and max of 500 watts.
that about what i m using ( 50 w min et 450 w max ) but i don t know how calculate, was determined by test only .
using v 0.16 actualy, planned to move to 0.18 ( specaily for walk assist as it s about absolutly necessary in MTB ; )

Don t remenber exactualy value used for assist lvl but i can check if needed .
Don t look a at human power because it s crazy ;)
it s about twice the true i thinck, but as it s used to calculate moteur power i let it like that ..

as i know, actualy motor power is half the human power ( may be i m wrong only remenber what i saw on display ) on lvl 1 in my system
soo for min 40 if you need 75 ( watts ) it s only a ratio, but it will not match the upper ( 180 ) human power ...

for 40 EHP ( effective human power ) if you need 75 MP ( motor power ) * must be 1.875
for 180 EHP and 500 MP * will 2.777
soo desired lvl * must be for example 1.8/2/2.2/2.4/2.7 or something like that ...
lvl 1 * 1.8 : min 75MP max 324
lvl2 * 2 : min 80, max 360
lvl3 * 2.2 : min 88, max 396
lvl4 * 2.4 : min 96, max 432
lvl5 * 2.7 : min 108, max 486

elem said:

as i know, actualy motor power is half the human power ( may be i m wrong only remenber what i saw on display ) on lvl 1 in my system
soo for min 40 if you need 75 ( watts ) it s only a ratio, but it will not match the upper ( 180 ) human power ...

for 40 EHP ( effective human power ) if you need 75 MP ( motor power ) * must be 1.875
for 180 EHP and 500 MP * will 2.777
soo desired lvl * must be for example 1.8/2/2.2/2.4/2.7 or something like that ...
lvl 1 * 1.8 : min 75MP max 324
lvl2 * 2 : min 80, max 360
lvl3 * 2.2 : min 88, max 396
lvl4 * 2.4 : min 96, max 432
lvl5 * 2.7 : min 108, max 486
Well, I didn't tested yet but I though on this:
I assume a med value for my girlfriend of 90 (180/2) human power. I am limiting my battery current to 10A and power to 500W (small battery pack), so I start with my max assist level of 500W where I would like that my girlfriend human med power to equal the 500W and each assist level increase the battery/motor power in 50% (x1.5):
Assist level 5: 90 * assist_level_multiplier = 500 --> assist_level_multiplier = 5.6
Assist level 4: 90 * assist_level_multiplier = (500/ (1.5*1)) --> assist_level_multiplier = 3.7
Assist level 3: 90 * assist_level_multiplier = (500/ (1.5*2)) --> assist_level_multiplier = 2.5
Assist level 2: 90 * assist_level_multiplier = (500/ (1.5*3)) --> assist_level_multiplier = 1.6
Assist level 1: 90 * assist_level_multiplier = (500/ (1.5*4)) --> assist_level_multiplier = 1.1

And the values for me, where my max of human power is 250, med of 125:
Assist level 5: 125 * assist_level_multiplier = 500 --> assist_level_multiplier = 4
Assist level 4: 125 * assist_level_multiplier = (500/ (1.5*1)) --> assist_level_multiplier = 2.7
Assist level 3: 125 * assist_level_multiplier = (500/ (1.5*2)) --> assist_level_multiplier = 1.3
Assist level 2: 125 * assist_level_multiplier = (500/ (1.5*3)) --> assist_level_multiplier = 0.9
Assist level 1: 90 * assist_level_multiplier = (500/ (1.5*4)) --> assist_level_multiplier = 0.7

What I can see, and that I feel when looking at my girlfriend LCD while she is riding is that his assist level multipliers are low and his motor never reaches max power of 500 watts (because are my values and I have more force in my legs).

Next I want to play with a similar algorithm to configure power boost, I guess the idea is to measure the max torque an user does on the torque sensor (can be measured while wheel is blocked on the ground and the brakes are active or assist level is 0).

elem said:
I am limiting my battery current to 10A and power to 500W

You are using 14S pack on each bike ?
14S3P with 3600mAh max 10A each cell.

casainho said:
elem said:

are you using 36V or 48V motor ?
I would try to move to a 48V if it s usefull for mtb, it s not priority but it could be a better option in MTB, as i m using 11S for friendly/sister use, and 12S for mine i thinck even whith 14S 48V motor couldn t reach my personnal goal RPM ( about 100 and 110 max )

elem said:
casainho said:
elem said:

are you using 36V or 48V motor ?
I would try to move to a 48V if it s usefull for mtb, it s not priority but it could be a better option in MTB, as i m using 11S for friendly/sister use, and 12S for mine i thinck even whith 14S 48V motor couldn t reach my personnal goal RPM ( about 100 and 110 max )
I am using 52V (hence the 14S3P as I said). I don't usually do many MTB as professional/competition, I go to that events but I stay at the end and for me is mostly like a bicycle ride.

ok, it s different, i would ask, is your motor a 0 type ( 48V ) or a 1 type ( 36V ) ?
as they all match 4000 rpm but 48V motor need 48 V to match it and 36V motor only need 36V to match 4000 rpm .

With 14S battery 36v motor could run at 4000*1.40= 5600 rpm and 48V motor only 4000*14/13= 4300 rpm .

that why i use 12S on a 36 V motor, gain is 20%, soo it match my rpm goal 4800/44=109 rpm max ( at cranck )

elem said:
ok, it s different, i would ask, is your motor a 0 type ( 48V ) or a 1 type ( 36V ) ?
as they all match 4000 rpm but 48V motor need 48 V to match it and 36V motor only need 36V to match 4000 rpm .

With 14S battery 36v motor could run at 4000*1.40= 5600 rpm and 48V motor only 4000*14/13= 4300 rpm .

that why i use 12S on a 36 V motor, gain is 20%, soo it match my rpm goal 4800/44=109 rpm max ( at cranck )
I never verified max RPM of my TSDZ2 with my battery. My motor is of 48V.

Rafe said:
The lag is a different issue with power boost Buba, this is when power boost sometimes does not cut in when pedalling resumes so there is no pedal assist at all for about 3 seconds, and even then when the pedal assist resumes is normal assist not the boost. This is an intermittent fault that I can't find a sequence or logic to.

The resting the foot on pedal and the bike takes off under power boost even though wheel speed must be zero is disabled is another intermittent fault. I mostly remember to keep the wired rear brake on when at the lights in case it happens but like others I've found it to be dangerous, only the other day I was off the bike chatting to a friend with a foot resting on a pedal and the bike decided to try and run her over.

These faults have been present for sometime so I doubt your modifications have anything to do with them.

I also have these two exact issues. Power boost does not work randomly and when power boast does not activate I also get no assist for around 3 seconds too. Not cool when at the lights!

I also have random surges at the lights, bike stopped, resting foot on pedal ... no pedal rotation ... Sometimes I wonder if I have backpedalled slightly to get the best foot position and as I rest my foot back down the motor surges. But then sometimes it will do two or three surges a number of seconds apart. Is there averaging on the rotation (direction not counted) so that small torque + previous rotation = power output ... this is on 17 though I am about to go to 19.

What testing can I do to help diagnose further?

Regards
Steve

mctubster said:
Rafe said:
The lag is a different issue with power boost Buba, this is when power boost sometimes does not cut in when pedalling resumes so there is no pedal assist at all for about 3 seconds, and even then when the pedal assist resumes is normal assist not the boost. This is an intermittent fault that I can't find a sequence or logic to.

The resting the foot on pedal and the bike takes off under power boost even though wheel speed must be zero is disabled is another intermittent fault. I mostly remember to keep the wired rear brake on when at the lights in case it happens but like others I've found it to be dangerous, only the other day I was off the bike chatting to a friend with a foot resting on a pedal and the bike decided to try and run her over.

These faults have been present for sometime so I doubt your modifications have anything to do with them.

I also have these two exact issues. Power boost does not work randomly and when power boast does not activate I also get no assist for around 3 seconds too. Not cool when at the lights!

I also have random surges at the lights, bike stopped, resting foot on pedal ... no pedal rotation ... Sometimes I wonder if I have backpedalled slightly to get the best foot position and as I rest my foot back down the motor surges. But then sometimes it will do two or three surges a number of seconds apart. Is there averaging on the rotation (direction not counted) so that small torque + previous rotation = power output ... this is on 17 though I am about to go to 19.

What testing can I do to help diagnose further?

Regards
Steve
1. when lag occurs because of some fail on power boost, I quick hit the brakes and power boost starts immediately. This is a workaround.

2. I always use "Motor assistance startup without pedal rotation" = 1 so I do not have that issue. If you acan, give a look at the code to try understand what may be causing that issue.

which is the best version? 36v or 48v? how many amperes can withstand for short, medium and long time? (1min, 5min, long travel) How much is efficient the 36v version at 48v?

Back