Custom 5kW Vector (QS 205v3/Kelly/DNM)

Looking good. I have the same cells but been lagging on my build. I opted to make bus bars from 6101 aluminum full round bar, .25" and .125" thick, gonna have them bolted together. I gotta make a build thread. gonna be 20s3p. Out of 60 cells I got 4 or 5 that were no good. I tried to blow one up by burning it, hammering, cutting, etc, it smoked and puffed a tiny bit but did not blow up like I hoped :roll: Watching your build :mrgreen:

Very nice build Sir, particular like the side wings.

I’ve also a Vector Typhoon, sitting next door an aborted first temporary build. Short from the long, 20” folder developed a crack, took the motor/wheel off fitted to the Vector, 52v 35Ah battery and the new charger @ 72v wouldn’t charge via the buck transformer, doesn’t see any voltage. Seller confirms this is correct.

Wheels arrive this week.

Have you tried to fit an alarm to the kelly controller? That’s on a things to do list, see post in Ebike technical.

Awesome posts, and watch with a keen eye to the performance of those cells. :bigthumb:

Bg-electric-cycle said:
Very nice build Sir, particular like the side wings.

I’ve also a Vector Typhoon, sitting next door an aborted first temporary build. Short from the long, 20” folder developed a crack, took the motor/wheel off fitted to the Vector, 52v 35Ah battery and the new charger @ 72v wouldn’t charge via the buck transformer, doesn’t see any voltage. Seller confirms this is correct.

Wheels arrive this week.

Have you tried to fit an alarm to the kelly controller? That’s on a things to do list, see post in Ebike technical.

Awesome posts, and watch with a keen eye to the performance of those cells. :bigthumb:

Thanks. I have not fitted an alarm. I would like to get one that’s designed for a motorcycle or a moped. Something that alarms when you move the bike and sends me a notification on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minde28383 said:
Hi Pb1302,
Share you experience regarding 26650. Did you had chance to test it during winer?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98667
I have not assembled my pack yet. So no winter testing.

Ordered my nickel strip from China. Time will tell if the purchase was worth it. It is a bit wider than most you can find. I found 15mm wide strips. That should help get more current through on the strips once spit welded on. It’s .2mm thick. Ordered 10 meters. Should be enough. We shall see. Says it arrives in April. LOL. So I have time to wait and it’s warm by then too.

Once I get to spit welding I will post my progress again. Got sidetracked by other project and it’s cold so bike has been sitting not used.

Hi Pete,

Where did you get your DC-DC 84v to 12v converter if you have already purchased it? and what is the output power?
Thanks.

Best regards,

Pierre

Got me some .2mmx15mm nickel strip finally. Let’s hope it works out good. Got it from China and it’s pure nickel. Pretty good price as well.

Now to finish this harbulary battery.

d5466316a8c77e486c570745522459e1.jpg
ff18ae930bd7db7473c2a050db96b245.jpg
03e0104043f784e09cdf565dc34e5b84.jpg
e443c14af209f23ab827c6c02467d7f2.jpg
616a241ff4603e6612513ed2ea5cb147.jpg

Made me a block to assemble these easier. So much faster now. Almost done making the 7P packs. Then onto making two 10S packs so I can join them up and get to the BMS cable installation.
b5f8e4c1aa898a8ee95214eb1a005380.jpg
5690c681f69ec82e330a4e9bbe6e1de8.jpg
7a76acf27588609ea64cef76cf95b382.jpg
25ea4d5a48d00a467e1b6096612ce989.jpg

Done with my 7P packs. Now onto the series connections as well as the interconnection and positive/negative leads. Then some BMS wiring and hope to have it done by the weekend.

Test fit into the bike and looks like I have plenty of room for the pack. Going to wrap it in kapton tape and then some neoprene sheets to give it some cushion. Later I will build me a sheet metal box and weld it up to seal it on 5 sides. I will leave one side to put together with rivets or screws or something so I can get u side. I just want it sealed up just in case there is a fire or issues with battery...I can eject it easily. [emoji12]

9d1bb4c6c7ebe989c1c05bd91e83da33.jpg
b684ba463ee22e183b0787f00a59fcd4.jpg
a3d125a764346b3999b1220ffd40632b.jpg
ad01dc76b9961992d5ec8ac2b6064a55.jpg

I did a Tracy to Fremont (recharge while having lunch in Livermore) ride last spring. Id be down for an area ride or fool around on a go kart or super Moto track.

So the series connections take way more time than I expected. It’s a slow process but I don’t want it to look like crap or have an incident with this much energy in the batteries. Taking my time. I’m done with 6 of the packs. Hope to have them all done by the weekend still. But I’m pretty sure I’m gonna run out of nickel strip. More is on the way from China. Pretty pleased with the quality of the stuff I have.

Also trying to decide on how to interconnect the two 10S banks to make my 20S pack. Maybe if I get 1/4” gap between the packs I can just weld on nickel strip in 3 layers to help out the bend but in essence just fold it over like a saddle on a horse over my 1/4” gap. Maybe just a piece of 1/4” plexiglass or rubber to help isolate it anyways. Otherwise I just solder in some 8ga cable and link it with bullet connections.

944f1697f5931654725b57ef5af15d43.jpg
084ae5505a0d17d7265bf37d827dce69.jpg
4ff6ae6731d779c441c7162ef092a32f.jpg

litespeed said:
Nice build.

Tom
Thanks Tom. It’s been an adventure but fun of course. Learning a lot. Pretty sure I won’t ever build a battery again. So much time invested in it already.

Great to see some install DIY battery packs into Vector frames.

I’m going for four hundred cells. However, battery containment is the issue. Cannot find anyone that’s already been there it’s to the metal fabricator.

Attachments

• JPEG image 8.jpeg
    JPEG image 8.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 1,466
Bg-electric-cycle said:
Great to see some install DIY battery packs into Vector frames.

I’m going for four hundred cells. However, battery containment is the issue. Cannot find anyone that’s already been there it’s to the metal fabricator.

Geesh that’s a lot of batteries. That thing is gonna be heavy as heck. I already know I’m not gonna like mine being heavier but I’m willing to deal with the extra power and range lol.

I have seen battery cases for sale online but not that size. Just a bit smaller. You ever consider no using those supports? I was going to use them on mine but decided against it due to space and me wanting to eventually get a box around my cells. You save about a row of batteries in space not using them. That is enough for space to make a box and some padding.

Definitely considered glue rather than spacers. I like the idea of maximum air flow, ability to install a fan or two. Around my way ambient summer temps up to 30-40c isn’t unheard of.

The plan is to draw less than 1 amp per individual cell. The weight won’t be a problem the frame is robust and 3” tyres easy cope.

If the battery were too big could always reduce the size.

Have some mild steel already cut into a strip. Tomorrow try and create a template. The pack is exactly 170mm wide. Vector Bikes, quote the internal dimensions with the side wings 170mm. If an exact measurement this leaves no room for any box and requirement to reduce the battery size.

Pb1302 said:
I got the same damn ones from my previous order on Amazon and figured all would be well. Not so much. The older set I got was very tight to get the cells in or out. It practically broke the spacer if you tried to take it apart. No big deal...until I tried to match up my older set with the newer set. They were redesigned...of course. So old set is a smidge smaller and won’t line up with new ones. So immediately ordered another 2 sets with the hopes they match the NEW set. Let’s see how that works out. Gonna post me a review on Amazon for those interested in doing the same brand.

Hey I have the same cells and ordered some spacers for Aliexpress and they are too small. Are there specific ones that fit these? Seems like LitoKala have a thicker shell than most 26650 cells perhaps?

smeagol222 said:
Pb1302 said:
I got the same damn ones from my previous order on Amazon and figured all would be well. Not so much. The older set I got was very tight to get the cells in or out. It practically broke the spacer if you tried to take it apart. No big deal...until I tried to match up my older set with the newer set. They were redesigned...of course. So old set is a smidge smaller and won’t line up with new ones. So immediately ordered another 2 sets with the hopes they match the NEW set. Let’s see how that works out. Gonna post me a review on Amazon for those interested in doing the same brand.

Hey I have the same cells and ordered some spacers for Aliexpress and they are too small. Are there specific ones that fit these? Seems like LitoKala have a thicker shell than most 26650 cells perhaps?

How many cells you doing?

I got mine on Amazon. Out of three batches, only one set fit great. I gave up on the spacers. That is why mine are just taped together. Once you spot weld them they are rock solid anyway. So it’s really about some air flow. The BMS has set points for the 4 temp sensors I will mount on the cells. Just gonna ensure that they are shut down when they get too hot.

Good luck with the spacers. My journey got expensive so I gave up.

Ah okay makes sense- I only have a small amount for testing since the cells are so damn expensive even from Aliexpress, ill probably just tape them together for my testing with BBSHD 1000w mid drive setup. They are 50a burst and only 20a cont. right?
For my other project I just stuck with 300 cell 18650s in 20s15p and spacers seem to work well with that

smeagol222 said:
Ah okay makes sense- I only have a small amount for testing since the cells are so damn expensive even from Aliexpress, ill probably just tape them together for my testing with BBSHD 1000w mid drive setup. They are 50a burst and only 20a cont. right?
For my other project I just stuck with 300 cell 18650s in 20s15p and spacers seem to work well with that
I got 140 cells so that was pricey. But the power and range is well worth it. I’m just finishing the spit welding in the other half of the battery bank. My fingers and hands hurt. Lol. So many spot welds. It’s taking me about 30 minutes to join one group to another. But again...taking my time. I don’t need any explosions or bad welds. So far so good. Not about another hour of welding and then onto the BMS wiring. Once that is done...gonna warps it up and test charge it. Then for a spin to discharge the beast battery. Sun is out today in Northern California so cant wait for some riding.

They are 50a burst...and 20a continuous but I hope to only be doing that very few times in their life. I beat on it at 120a (about 17a each cell) so I’m under the limit by a few amps. I want this damn thing to last. Next battery is coming from EM3EV cause I ain’t building more.

Got the cells all connected in series. Not to do BMS and power leads. I think I’m going to attach “fingers” so to say to the batteries on each positive and negative end...then put on a parallel strip like I would in the parallel battery banks. Then I can solder to those strips without heat going directly to the cells. Gonna put together the finger bits, solder in some massive wires..lol and then spit weld those fingers to the cells like series connections. We shall see how that experiment works out.
0f816ccd7e5d5e6571a2c86c57f55a94.jpg
2365b528e674cbe990a6c2412e066840.jpg
5cc6c8f89d6daf55819d1a91d69a1b43.jpg
00888e6d599530d731053e4b0037c993.jpg

Nice battery pack build.

Did that Malelectrics spot welder have any issues with .2mm nickel?

I’ve since had a prototype metal box built and reduced the battery pack size to 360 cells or 20s 18p. Yet to be final.

Keep us all up to date on the performance of these cells.

The welder did awesome. A few sparks here and there...but I blame that on my application of the tips to the strips and maybe impurities in the strip. Other than that and always making sure a good charge was on the battery...welds went great. It has been flawless when battery is charged well and I keep the tips in good shape. Only complaint I have really is the damn cables and tips you hold get really hot when doing so many welds at a time. Wish they had some plastic holders to dissipate the heat. KWeld does something like that but I like to have my tips separate. It makes welding some areas easy when you can separate the tips by distance.

Back