Want Go-kart motor & electronics recommendation

nickyg203

1 µW
I'm a high schooler looking to build a few electric go-karts over the summer for me and my buddies. I'm mainly curious if anybody has any motor recommendations that are moderately priced. We are hoping to spend around $500 all in; including materials to build the frames. Are the $200 motor and controller kits on eBay worth it or should I be looking at motors in the 3 or 4 horsepower range? I'm mostly mechanically oriented and have little to no knowledge on motors; aside from basic technical jargon. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated!

If you would want a decent run time you need to spend a lot more per kart. The battery pack alone will cost more than $500 if you want to use some power for a reasonable time.

$500 might build the frame because you'll want to drive them on dirt where you won't get arrested which needs better hardware.

Easier/cheaper to build some electric BMX with single speeds and no pedals. The base bikes can sometimes be free. But its still going to cost $600-800 even with hunting for good deals.

john61ct said:
wineboyrider said:
https://www.electricmotorsport.com/emc-r-ls-me1004-pmdc-motor-24-48v-10-75-hp-cont-21-hp-pk.html
I recommend brushed motors for simplicity and this motor is cheap and easy to control with right controller.
Cheap, really?

Are you saying nothing cheaper would be worth recommending for kids mucking about with go-karts?

What would be a good controller to match that?

Is being able to reverse something special?
Yeah 500 is the whole budget, but you can run it without a controller...LOL

And it's double the horsepower... But to keep it in budget I would look for a used 1000w scooter on craigslist and soup it up.

Find the local scrap yard, and see if they have any older golf carts. Taylor-Dunns have a two horse continuous GE motor and a Curtis controller. You should be able to get the motor and controller for less than 50 bucks at scrap prices.

Back