Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

3DTOPO said:
Lelandjt said:
With a 26" front wheel run the fork as low as you can. Also, get a 500lb spring (Rockshox Vivid spring for the stock shock). If you're over 200lbs get a 550. I have one to sell since I settled on the 500.
Move the rear axle as far back as the brake carrier allows and put the pegs in the rear position.

Someone on here made a part that allowed the back wheel to go lower. Can't think of good keywords to find it though.
Just change the length of the suspension link arm would do that.

Jasonvh said:
Based on the discussion here I bought two Sur Ron bikes! One Green with standard controller and one grey with the X controller. I figure I’d need a spare because friends and family need to experience this too. It’s a different kind of riding. I’ve loved my mountain bike and my dirtbike equally. Just can’t ride the dirtbike anywhere around civilization it seems.

Already started on the upgrades.

Just ordered a Fox 40 fork and a Fox DHX2 shock.

Installed a Diety 80mm rise bar and Diety Intake stem.

Installed a 26” wheel on one bike. Its a Chris King hub Laced to a Mavic 321 rim with 14/17 gauge DT Revolution spokes and alloy nipples. I’m testing the limits of the spokes for sure. The hub and rim should hold up with all the compliance of the spokes. I’ve been a wheel builder for quite a while but this is new territory. The wheel made a huge difference in weight. The front end is way lighter. However, the added height makes steering a bit slow for tight trails. Probably need more preload on the rear to push the bike forward.

C1591172-3D6F-4462-9A1B-D6EBF8603862.jpeg

181B2F4F-1516-4108-8F5A-06A78753FF18.jpeg

nicely done jason, to offset some of your steering issues, you can lower the front end fork by dropping the fork tubes 10-15mm or so in the tripple clamp. It will help immensely with your steering issues.

3DTOPO said:
Lelandjt said:
With a 26" front wheel run the fork as low as you can. Also, get a 500lb spring (Rockshox Vivid spring for the stock shock). If you're over 200lbs get a 550. I have one to sell since I settled on the 500.
Move the rear axle as far back as the brake carrier allows and put the pegs in the rear position.

Someone on here made a part that allowed the back wheel to go lower. Can't think of good keywords to find it though.
The stock tire is very short. Putting a 3" tire on raises the rear considerably.

Has anyone tested the ASI 2000 or 4000 or the 8000 compared to the X controller? Which one is best? Luna in their latest video says they are at 30,000 watts? What controller and battery are they using?

ebikeguy123 said:
Has anyone tested the ASI 2000 or 4000 or the 8000 compared to the X controller? Which one is best? Luna in their latest video says they are at 30,000 watts? What controller and battery are they using?

Thats a Luke (liveforphysics) special tuning for the 30kw SurRon. He upgraded the battery pack and controller for those numbers.

Rix said:
ebikeguy123 said:

Thats a Luke (liveforphysics) special tuning for the 30kw SurRon. He upgraded the battery pack and controller for those numbers.

It's a custom 21S pack made from 25R cells, ASI BAC8000 controller and so much tuning effort.

michi.777 said:
offroader Thanks for the many improvements.
In Germany and England we already have some driving. everyone is very satisfied. 3.00 made of a stronger aluminum is many times stronger.
in the place to the connector we will make a recess.
At the bottom we can optionally install an additional brace.
air vents are vulnerable and not installed as the Enduro because often hook branches or other objects.
70231d6f9e3102caa80daa0baf09d844.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Could it be sufficiently strengthened at the lower points by just 'folding' over a longer tab and welding back on to the bottom? So that the lower bolts went through a double thickness of material which has been rewelded to the inside... Would be negligible extra weight and a pretty easy addition to the template, I'd guess. I'd be interested in one of these, though I'm also trying to source something locally. Great work! 😃

I just installed the 3mm Alu Bash Guard from "michi.777". Very high german build quality! :D
It weights ~350g. This means ~100g more than the stock part, which was bent allready from factory nearly like the one from "Offroader" at my bike.
Superior stability improvement in my opinion could be reached with a longer version which connects to the footpeg plates, like one in the FB Forum did.
As soon as the reinforced footpeg plates will be available, I will update them too.

Can you post a picture or link of that one you saw on the face book which also connects to the foot pegs.

Optimally it would be best to have a 3rd point of attachment on the bash guard in case there is a chance of it bending or cracking the frame at the stock attachment points.

The double attachment point on the bash guard also makes sense, that or some extra aluminum walls in that area to reinforce it.

Don't know, if i'm allowed to share third party pictures, so here's the link to the post:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/surron/permalink/946958742178590/

Very cool design IMHO, because it solves the issue with broken foot peg plates too. :D

mbldc said:
Don't know, if i'm allowed to share third party pictures, so here's the link to the post:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/surron/permalink/946958742178590/

Very cool design IMHO, because it solves the issue with broken foot peg plates too. :D

I had asked this skid plate builder on another thread if there were plans to sell these or if they minded me sharing the design.. he replied that Aebikes should be stocking them soon..

https://m.facebook.com/groups/785457324995400?view=permalink&id=957087671165697

If you guys can download the picture and repost it out side of Facebook. The picture link requires you to be part of the face book group and it takes approval to join, therefore most will not be able to see it.

Thanks.

Now we need to work on making aftermarket battery cases so we can build our own packs. The battery cases can probably be improved to somehow fit tighter in the bike, something to give you some degree of adjustment.

michi.777 said:
Also, I would like to know if there are many problems with the thin footpeg plates? we want to build a more stable version. original is 4.00mm aluminum at the thin point that can break even with little crash. 12-14mm plates and another hole for the footpegs is planned. is there interest here? we will build some, just do not know how many.
751dc8649ea57e0858a4102746d6887b.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
I would not build footrest too strong, otherwise on significant impact you can brake or bend the main frame. I'd rather keep footrest bracket as a weak element (fuse).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offroader said:
If you guys can download the picture and repost it out side of Facebook. The picture link requires you to be part of the face book group and it takes approval to join, therefore most will not be able to see it.

Thanks.

Now we need to work on making aftermarket battery cases so we can build our own packs. The battery cases can probably be improved to somehow fit tighter in the bike, something to give you some degree of adjustment.

Bash Guard FB.png

What do you guys think of that bash guard design in the prior post?

Would you rather have that or the smaller version without the foot peg attachment?

Merlin said:
As posted before... Energy of a crash must go anywhere.
Better having replacement parts and don't Crack the frame itself.

Agreed, the bash guard should bend / break a little but not bend with just the weight of the rider and bike alone like the stock bash guard.

The problem is figuring out when the bash guard breaks before the frame and not making the bash guard too strong.

Without a bash guard, if you bottomed out the frame , you may just as easily or easier crack the frame also.

New Fork! Can’t wait for the snow to melt so I can try it!

Fox 40 Factory.

It’s the most versatile tuning system I’ve seen to date. With separate High and Low speed Compression and Rebound should allow a proper tune. Air sprung so no springs to swap out. Air volume tokens to dial in the ramp up. All of these things have been around for some time. Fox has just refined these adjustments to make them more ueser friendly.

9D242BB2-59FB-41CF-B0B5-5524384C2054.jpeg

Rabid said:
Offroader said:

Thanks.

Bash Guard FB.png

Pretty Niffty but Luna has them so cheap its hard to go wrong.. Stainless and 2 versions

https://lunacycle.com/luna-sur-ron-stainless-steel-bash-and-motor-guard/

Just so you know there was discussion about the Luna bash guard and some say it bends just as easily as the stock bash guard. Unfortunately I assume most will bend pretty easily if you happen to bottom out on it.

Allex said:
After market, why would surron make that kind of stuff =)

With the help from Madin it looks like the next season for Light Bee will be very quiet!
I will start offering these quite soon. Dont ask questions yet, full disclosure will be made once we fully test this kit out!

So close now to finishing...This one has the same ratio as motomotos 52t with stock front sprocket. For me, one of the best combos especially when you have x-controller.
The belt is Poly Chain 8MGT 12mm wide.

Attachments

• IMG_5928.jpg
    IMG_5928.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 3,053
  • IMG_5940.jpg
    IMG_5940.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 3,053
Back