AT-One electric inline skates (quick update Feb 2019)

Lightweight / Folding / Portable EVs - seats optional
User avatar
Vanarian   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 556
Joined: Nov 26 2014 12:24pm
Location: France!

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update April 2018)

Post by Vanarian » Jun 28 2018 7:23am

If you wanna try VESC despite the stories, note that it had become a lot more user friendly now with VESC-Tool! Auto detection helps a lot to get adequate parameters for your motor.

Yep, gonna have to either cut the frames or adapt a sub frame to it! I've ridden many miles with 2 wheels per skate (analog) to directly feel the difference versus all wheels mounted, really IMHO it is better to keep the middle wheels if you can!
-+AT-One project : electric inline skates - no remote, hub motors, one frame for various wheel sizes & quasi-universal boot mount

Rollo Ergo Sum!

User avatar
Dogu-ya   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: Jun 05 2018 1:52am

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update April 2018)

Post by Dogu-ya » Jun 28 2018 10:29pm

Vanarian wrote:
Jun 28 2018 7:23am
If you wanna try VESC despite the stories, note that it had become a lot more user friendly now with VESC-Tool! Auto detection helps a lot to get adequate parameters for your motor.

Yep, gonna have to either cut the frames or adapt a sub frame to it! I've ridden many miles with 2 wheels per skate (analog) to directly feel the difference versus all wheels mounted, really IMHO it is better to keep the middle wheels if you can!

I'll be fabricating a frame for larger wheels.
I skate slalom so the idea of losing the middle wheels is daunting too since I'm only on my middle wheels most of the time.
I'm betting 2 outer wheels only has horrible maneuverability.

Can't help it though, since I'm going the old fashioned mechanical drive train route, I need a ton of space to mount the components.
This is likely going to turn out as a personal use project, commercially it's looking like no way...
This is the beauty of DIY projects though, I make what I want, no matter how much it snubs convention.

I'll post another render soon, I'm on my 3rd design iteration and it's looking like some kind of a motorbike-ish death machine.

Hastily, I've sent my clutch off for fabrication, I was planning to make a 3D printed proof of concept first but my friend who does 3d printing quoted me 1/4 the cost of what my fabricator quoted to make it out of steel, inclusive of latter adjustments to improve free running tolerances.

User avatar
Dogu-ya   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: Jun 05 2018 1:52am

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update April 2018)

Post by Dogu-ya » Jul 03 2018 1:09am

I'm impressed by these little bldc motors, they put out a lot of horsepower for their miniature size.
5065 motor 1.PNG
5065 motor 1.PNG (351.5 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
5065 motor 2.PNG
5065 motor 2.PNG (241.09 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
5065 motor 3.PNG
5065 motor 3.PNG (243.02 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
5065 motor 4.PNG
5065 motor 4.PNG (219.74 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
5065 motor 5.PNG
5065 motor 5.PNG (286.92 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
https://grabcad.com/library/5065-bldc-outrunner-motor-1

User avatar
Vanarian   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 556
Joined: Nov 26 2014 12:24pm
Location: France!

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update April 2018)

Post by Vanarian » Jul 03 2018 2:48pm

Yep ! These are a good choice to start with. I forgot, do you want to FWD, RWD or AWD your skates with the clutch ?
-+AT-One project : electric inline skates - no remote, hub motors, one frame for various wheel sizes & quasi-universal boot mount

Rollo Ergo Sum!

User avatar
Dogu-ya   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: Jun 05 2018 1:52am

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update April 2018)

Post by Dogu-ya » Jul 03 2018 10:37pm

Vanarian wrote:
Jul 03 2018 2:48pm
Yep ! These are a good choice to start with. I forgot, do you want to FWD, RWD or AWD your skates with the clutch ?
Only RWD or FWD, depends on how it feels when accelerating, that will be a later stage. Currently working with RWD design, just because it seems conventional.
The clutch allows for freewheeling both forwards and backwards.

User avatar
Dogu-ya   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: Jun 05 2018 1:52am

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update April 2018)

Post by Dogu-ya » Aug 22 2018 10:56pm

Small update,

Got my old 3d printer out to make some prototypes.
Getting the printer repaired, set up and calibrated and printed parts to fit with each other took almost all my time till now.

Starting to print a few clutch designs I have for a proof of concept.

User avatar
Vanarian   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 556
Joined: Nov 26 2014 12:24pm
Location: France!

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update April 2018)

Post by Vanarian » Feb 13 2019 5:05am

Dogu-ya wrote:
Aug 22 2018 10:56pm
Small update,

Got my old 3d printer out to make some prototypes.
Getting the printer repaired, set up and calibrated and printed parts to fit with each other took almost all my time till now.

Starting to print a few clutch designs I have for a proof of concept.
Hey ! Did you manage to keep working on your build ? Just a random thought, can you piggyback mount the clutch at the back of your frame ? This way you can keep middle wheels in ! If you wanna do some light test you can try using PETG or Nylon filament, for pulley driving it is ok.

I still got tolerances to sort out (and damn enclosures are a headache to work with when you go past the "square box" format) !
-+AT-One project : electric inline skates - no remote, hub motors, one frame for various wheel sizes & quasi-universal boot mount

Rollo Ergo Sum!

Wolf1113   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 1
Joined: Feb 27 2019 10:58am

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update Feb 2019)

Post by Wolf1113 » Feb 27 2019 11:12am

I have looked into a few of these reviews. The most common issue in I've come across is the battery. In my opinion I think having a battery is a good idea, but not as the main power source. Making a cover that goes over the top of the foot using mini solar panels. The battery however can be used a back up. Not only that I believe that the solar panels in the clear cover on the skateboard or inline skates can also be used to charge the battery with a cutoff mechanism to stop it from overcharge. Most people would skate during the day anyway. Another thing that is possible for this future of skating is speed setting. At most 15-20mph. Just my own opinion on the speed part.

Hummina Shadeeba   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1769
Joined: Apr 25 2014 10:26pm

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update Feb 2019)

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » Feb 27 2019 1:02pm

Id like having a tiny battery so less weight. I see panels for sale today are able to capture about 22% of the sun energy and the best panels designed capture about 44%.

User avatar
Vanarian   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 556
Joined: Nov 26 2014 12:24pm
Location: France!

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update Feb 2019)

Post by Vanarian » Feb 28 2019 5:03am

Wolf1113 wrote:
Feb 27 2019 11:12am
I have looked into a few of these reviews. The most common issue in I've come across is the battery. In my opinion I think having a battery is a good idea, but not as the main power source. Making a cover that goes over the top of the foot using mini solar panels. The battery however can be used a back up. Not only that I believe that the solar panels in the clear cover on the skateboard or inline skates can also be used to charge the battery with a cutoff mechanism to stop it from overcharge. Most people would skate during the day anyway. Another thing that is possible for this future of skating is speed setting. At most 15-20mph. Just my own opinion on the speed part.
Welcome to E-S (and my topic) ! Thanks for your suggestions ; if solar panel's efficiency was high enough it could definitely be a way to charge up (and have for example a capacitor bank to act as regulator between continuous current charging and system's use).

Maybe when there's a breakthrough with solar energy :wink:

Totally agree about the cutoff (brake chopper) mechanism : it is definitely a must even with a normal battery, to make sure voltage doesn't rise above max battery voltage. It's a safety device which should be more often found on EVs IMO.

About the max speed however I'm kinda a speed addict (and depending where I live I ride both in day and night haha) but advanced ESC is able to progressively limit speed up to 20mph (even less for countries where it might be best not to go above 15mph for example). So I'm more aiming to have a "user limit" or "safe mode" + an overall config able to push high speeds.
Hummina Shadeeba wrote:
Feb 27 2019 1:02pm
Id like having a tiny battery so less weight. I see panels for sale today are able to capture about 22% of the sun energy and the best panels designed capture about 44%.
Man I can't skip the powerhouse battery if I want to race you ! BTW I'm still training analog, did 30mph downhill this weekend and it seems I need to be able to manage myself at up to 50mph if I want to compete with the big guys. :flame:

Definitely cannot reach such speeds on a board but on inlines I just enjoy it too much!! :mrgreen:
-+AT-One project : electric inline skates - no remote, hub motors, one frame for various wheel sizes & quasi-universal boot mount

Rollo Ergo Sum!

User avatar
Dogu-ya   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: Jun 05 2018 1:52am

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update April 2018)

Post by Dogu-ya » Mar 03 2019 10:08pm

Vanarian wrote:
Feb 13 2019 5:05am
Dogu-ya wrote:
Aug 22 2018 10:56pm
Small update,

Got my old 3d printer out to make some prototypes.
Getting the printer repaired, set up and calibrated and printed parts to fit with each other took almost all my time till now.

Starting to print a few clutch designs I have for a proof of concept.
Hey ! Did you manage to keep working on your build ? Just a random thought, can you piggyback mount the clutch at the back of your frame ? This way you can keep middle wheels in ! If you wanna do some light test you can try using PETG or Nylon filament, for pulley driving it is ok.

I still got tolerances to sort out (and damn enclosures are a headache to work with when you go past the "square box" format) !
Hi Vanarian,

Been so long, I stopped working on this project for awhile.
My 2 way clutch works fine during testing but it was a nightmare getting it to work under load.
Obviously 3d printed parts would not stand much force, so I had a prototype made in mild steel and it was very hard to get it working like the printed parts. One of the biggest issues is that to accomodate my fabricator, I had to modify the lead screw in the mechanism.
I stopped working on it at this point. Next step would be switching some parts to brass/copper, and getting that lead screw machined accurately

User avatar
Vanarian   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 556
Joined: Nov 26 2014 12:24pm
Location: France!

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update April 2018)

Post by Vanarian » Mar 05 2019 1:26pm

Dogu-ya wrote:
Man I hope you'll be able to work again on it! Having a workable version already is big step in the good direction.

How much did the clutch weight in steel btw?

Me I'm taking it easy on mines for now, training analog (reached 30mph DH this weekend) to be able to control them when it's out.

I'd like to try them against different types of setups to see what's good and not so good motor wise (DD/planetary gear drive/bigger stator/Regular PU Tyre/special grip one). That's considering I'll kick push / stride too, I was surprised at how much acceleration a human can pack in his muscles!
-+AT-One project : electric inline skates - no remote, hub motors, one frame for various wheel sizes & quasi-universal boot mount

Rollo Ergo Sum!

GrayMech   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Sep 10 2019 4:18am

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update Feb 2019)

Post by GrayMech » Sep 10 2019 4:21am

this may be a dumb question since i only found this thread today but are you ever planning to have a production variation of these available for sale? I have been looking for something like this for a very long time but i have zero know-how with building electronics and the like so doubt i'd ever be able to make one myself.

User avatar
Vanarian   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 556
Joined: Nov 26 2014 12:24pm
Location: France!

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update Feb 2019)

Post by Vanarian » Sep 10 2019 6:20am

GrayMech wrote:
Sep 10 2019 4:21am
this may be a dumb question since i only found this thread today but are you ever planning to have a production variation of these available for sale? I have been looking for something like this for a very long time but i have zero know-how with building electronics and the like so doubt i'd ever be able to make one myself.
Hello, welcome!

Yes I intend to have a production version for sale once it's done and I'll do my best to make it worth riding. What type of riding do you wish to use them for?
-+AT-One project : electric inline skates - no remote, hub motors, one frame for various wheel sizes & quasi-universal boot mount

Rollo Ergo Sum!

GrayMech   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Sep 10 2019 4:18am

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update Feb 2019)

Post by GrayMech » Sep 13 2019 1:38pm

mostly recreational, i live in the middle of nowhere and there isnt much to do so having something like these would be a total blast, as fun as my regular skates are they just don't go fast enough and are a hassle to ride up hills

User avatar
Vanarian   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 556
Joined: Nov 26 2014 12:24pm
Location: France!

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update Feb 2019)

Post by Vanarian » Sep 13 2019 1:50pm

GrayMech wrote:
Sep 13 2019 1:38pm
mostly recreational, i live in the middle of nowhere and there isnt much to do so having something like these would be a total blast, as fun as my regular skates are they just don't go fast enough and are a hassle to ride up hills
Nice, then I think you'll prefer the 3x110 (I'm pushing 4 wheels and 3 wheels), it's better suited for the road. Just need patience at this point as I still have a mountain of setup to test.

Or you can be early rider along the way if you're familiar with electronics and EV.
-+AT-One project : electric inline skates - no remote, hub motors, one frame for various wheel sizes & quasi-universal boot mount

Rollo Ergo Sum!

GrayMech   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Sep 10 2019 4:18am

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update Feb 2019)

Post by GrayMech » Sep 14 2019 1:29pm

i'm great with computers but when it comes to circuits and putting stuff together i don't have a clue and i don't even know what EV is lol

got no choice but to wait unfortunately, i hope to learn about electronics and their inner workings at some point but don't know where to start and don't have a place to work at the moment, hopefully soon though~

GrayMech   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Sep 10 2019 4:18am

Re: E-driven rollerblades (build started, slowly but surely)

Post by GrayMech » Oct 02 2019 5:49am

Ryuudan wrote:
Apr 07 2015 9:03pm
Nice to see I'm not alone.

I'm working doing the exact same thing for a couple years now.

My project though is a little more humble. I'm using low power motors aiming for range and lightweight instead of speed and power.

heres the preview:
hope it motivates you on your project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfJOw7kw8-c
i actually found your project the same day i found this board while i was searching around, it's a real shame you couldnt get the backing you needed to produce them, you had some really good ideas and designs that deserve more attention! i subbed to your youtube channel in hopes of future updates and followed your twitter on my alt, hoping to see more ThundrBlade in my feed in the future! :D

edit: i'm not used to this forum yet and only just realised this was a comment from 2015, ignore me, i'm dumb :oops:

Blindruler   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 1
Joined: Oct 18 2019 3:43pm

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update Feb 2019)

Post by Blindruler » Oct 18 2019 4:15pm

Yo! New to the forum in general so forgive me if I’m bringing up a subject that was already discussed but didn’t see it. As for controlling these guys I have two main thoughts 1) is there currently a way to disengage the drive so it can be used manually without drag. And 2) would using pressure sensors on a central fulcrum work for detecting forward or stop (like a seesaw, pushing forward would show a specific angle on the pivot thus the closer that angle gets to 0 degrees relative to the toe the faster it goes and the closer it gets to 180 the harder the brakes)

Either way this project looks awesome and if there’s any way I can help out I’ll do what I can

Hummina Shadeeba   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1769
Joined: Apr 25 2014 10:26pm

Re: AT-One electric inline skates (quick update Feb 2019)

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » Oct 18 2019 5:13pm

Generally with a permanent magnet motor the cogging is going to reduce the coasting ability. If u do many more poles and teeth that can greatly reduce the cogging torque. Other types of motors can have no cogging torque and coast as well as a regular wheel but they arent as powerful at lower speeds. A switched reluctance motor seems a good candidate since probably don’t need that much torque on skates
Which is just replacing the magnets w iron

Post Reply