Sony VTC6 - a 3000mAh/30A monster in 18650 size

thunderheart

100 W
Original article: https://www.thunderheartreviews.com/2019/03/sony-vtc6-18650-3000mah-30a-test.html

Sony US18650VTC6 (or just VTC6) is a high drain 18650 size Li-ion cell which supports discharge rate up to 15A if no temperature control is used and up to 30A with 80°C temperature cut.
241648_original.jpg

The battery was bought from my reliable supplier (Queen Battery) and tested with ZKETECH EBC-A20 and a self-made battery holder. It's a PC-connected battery tester supporting 4-wire measuring and discharging at up to 20A.
87638_original.jpg

I've used version 3.0 of my battery holder based on 0.5mm thick pure copper terminals
210421_original.jpg

209931_original.jpg

I've followed all the prescriptions of the IEC61960-2003 standard concerning battery's capacity measurement. Before each discharging cycle each battery was charged at standard charge current mentioned in its datasheet to charge end voltage. Before each discharging or charging i've held a 1-1.5hrs pause. The environment temperature was 23.0-24.5°C. To be sure in results i've done each test minimum twice (usually 3-4 times).

Sony US18650VTC6

The cell is marked as
SE US18650VTC6 C6
G 0400743YF20U
240910_original.jpg

The main specifications from Sony VTC6 datasheet:
Rated capacity: 3000mAh
Nominal capacity: 3120mAh
Nominal voltage: 3.6V
Standard charge current: 3A (1C)
Charge end voltage: 4.20V
Max charge current: 5A
Max continuous discharge current: 15A (5C) / 30A (10C) with 80°C temperature cut
Discharge cut-off voltage: 2.0V / 2.5V
AC impedance at 1KHz: 8-18mΩ
Weight: 46.6±1.5g

The measured DC IR of fully charged cell at 3000mA was 15±1mΩ (measured using EB Tester Software).
My cell's weight was 46.83g
242075_original.jpg

Capacity test results
241316_original.png

High current curves are excellent, there is nothing to say. The only thing which seems strange to me is the 2.0V discharge cut-off voltage Sony uses at 0.2C. Why 2.0V? I think it's just to push the nominal capacity a bit higher because nobody gonna use VTC6 at 0.6A discharge rate. I can't find any other explanation for this.

Here is the video version of this review:

Check out my YouTube channel for batteries, chargers and other stuff reviews.
In my blog where you can find all my reviews in one place. Every new test/review is first published on YouTube and in the blog.

> The only thing which seems strange to me is the 2.0V discharge cut-off voltage Sony uses at 0.2C. Why 2.0V? I think it's just to push the nominal capacity a bit higher because nobody gonna use VTC6 at 0.6A discharge rate.

Well for longevity of course shouldn't be going anywhere near there.

At a lower current any given voltage will actually be at a lower (more destructive) SoC, less bounce-back recovery. Maybe they're figuring the longer cycle life from gentle low-current usage allows for harsher treatment in that one factor, as you say gives a false impression of greater capacity.

Where do these cutoff V specs come from?

Any idea which specific chemistry these are?

Nice looking high drain cell but it probably has very lousy cycle life.
It would be nice to have Pajda or Flippy cycle test them at 3C drain to reveal their true nature.
High drain in all its glory but not at the expense of decent long life of at least 1000 cycles or more.

The specs of Sony VTC6 reminds about 30Q that has confirmed bad aging properties.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=97844&p=1435146#p1433642

It could be even worse if VTC6 behaves like GA at high drain.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=96360#p1447298

Hi Thunderheart, thank you for your testing.
Will you test the popular LG INR18650HG2 from queenbattery.com.cn ?

999zip999 said:
Honk which high drain cell do you recommend.

I don't have any high drain cell recommendation.
Myself I just use the certified and proven 29E in enough parallel numbers to fit my needs.
Keeping the charge level at 4.1V, discharge at 1C and cut off above 3V will let the cell live far beyond 1000 cycles.
Perhaps it could last as many as 2500 cycles before hitting 70% remaining capacity.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=98468&p=1448895&hilit=29E#p1448895
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=96079&start=25#p1410642

999zip999 said:
Honk which high drain cell do you recommend.

Id recommend samsung 40T 21700 cells... 4000 mAh and probably more reliable max 30A.

But if you want high drain and very high cycle life, nothing like the A123 cells.

Matador said:
But if you want high drain and very high cycle life, nothing like the A123 cells. This is, of course if you don't mind lower capacity and a little weight. But Li titanate would be even more heavier... To much imho

Latest 29E news: 500 cycles test. It simply rocks.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=96079&p=1450089#p1450053

john61ct said:
Where do these cutoff V specs come from?
Datasheet

NIPSEN said:
Hi Thunderheart, thank you for your testing.
Will you test the popular LG INR18650HG2 from queenbattery.com.cn ?
Maybe. Gonna change my city soon so i think i will have to make a pause in testing(

Matador said:
But if you want high drain and very high cycle life, nothing like the A123 cells.
Exactly! I'm in love with them.

thunderheart said:
Matador said:
Do you guys mean any of their non-LFP models?

If so which? Links would be appreciated.

john61ct said:
thunderheart said:
Matador said:
Do you guys mean any of their non-LFP models?

If so which? Links would be appreciated.

I meant the nanophosphate LFP cells. For cycle life hard to beat LFP.... But if you want the absolute most crazy power dense LPF... Then there is the A123 AHR18700 F1 KERS. These cells are used in EV F1 cars I heard they are around 100$ per cell though... But can deliver 60A continuous per 18700 cell. That is just crazy!

Matador said:
There are competitors.....
Saft have a 6a cell that is rated for 100C continuous (250C burst..thats 1,500 amps ! :shock: ), and 5000 cycles at 100% DoD.
http://www.houseofbatteries.com/documents/VL6A.pdf
But yes, its a bit bigger ! :wink:

Hillhater said:
Saft have a 6a cell that is rated for 100C continuous (250C burst..thats 1,500 amps ! :shock: ), and 5000 cycles at 100% DoD.
Apparently NMC/Graphite, similar to Tesla's newer chemistry?

No one knows what the OP cells are?

thunderheart said:
I meant the nanophosphate LFP cells.

Me too
Me three :cool:

Addy said:
What makes you think that 3V cutoff would be destructive?
Well there's no hard bright line between "damage" and "harmful to longevity".

3V is my zero %SoC on LFP, doing actual load testing you can see the actual useful capacity drawing lower than that is insignificant, so even for rarely-used testing & maintenance protocols I don't go lower than that on production cells.

Of course the makers spec lower, they're happy for you to only get rated cycle lifetimes or less :cool:

Looking at the various other LI chemistries, it seems their whole SoC vs Voltage relationship curves generally just shift upwards, not radically change the slop of the curves.

Therefore going any lower than 3V is IMO "relatively destructive " and should only be done when needed for rarely-used test / maintenance protocols

and likely even a bit higher of a 0%SoC V floor is called for in daily use cycling

for those wanting to get maximum lifespan.

Back