cracked super shark battery case

raylo32

100 kW
Took the bike on a run to the post office today and hit a frost heave on the path, battery got ejected. Not entirely sure if I had the thing locked properly. I thought I did but I guess it is possible I turned the key the wrong way. It took a pretty good blow to the nose and 2 big chunks of the plastic housing came off. Battery and BMS still function fine.

I found the bigger piece of broken off plastic and made a replacement for the missing smaller part and glued it all back up. Looks OK... But I was wondering how generic these cases are and how difficult it would be to swap the battery/BMS over to another case. Battery is a super shark form factor from EM3EV, 52V, 12AH.

Duct tape, yes! But I did a better repair. I cut a piece of ABS sheet and bent it wit a micro torch to fit the remaining hole, then used plastic epoxy to fix it and smooth the contour. Then a quick spray of black. Looks almost new.

I see the cases for sale and they look the same but just wondering if they are similar enough that my assembled battery frame and other internals would plug and play... or if I'd have to disassemble it and redo a lot of that.

It is good to go as is for now, though.

markz said:
Duct tape is your friend! :wink:
Alibaba Aliexpress sells them cases! :mrgreen:

raylo32 said:

Not too much work at all... It's too new to be going around held together with duct tape! I also ordered a new super shark case from AliBaba. Not so much for the case but for the cradle to go on another e-bike build so I can use the battery on both bikes. Thinking about doing BBSHD on my old Specialized Stumpy. I am probably going to get a new high end pedal MTB so won't need the old one to ride the technical trails so it'll be a good donor bike.

markz said:
raylo32 said:
I cut a piece of ABS sheet and bent it wit a micro torch to fit the remaining hole, then used plastic epoxy to fix it and smooth the contour. Then a quick spray of black. Looks almost new.
Pffffffft too much work ;)

It is good to go as is for now, though.
Great news!

Back